Complicit in a Lie Revisited Chapter 28

Printer-friendly version

Complicit In a Lie
Revisited Chapter 28

By Jamie Lee

Author's Note: When I first wrote Complicit In a Lie, I had no thoughts, or ideas, to write a sequel. But thanks to a few readers, who asked about a sequel, ideas formed that made writing this sequel possible. It is necessary to have read Complicit In a Lie to understand why Charles is now with Jane, who the boy arriving in Kingston is and how he's involved in Charles' Court case. And to understand where Mr. Corporate, George Strom, fits into this story. This story starts off after Charles says, "When do we start," in Complicit in a Lie. So if you haven't read Complicit In a Lie, the beginning of this story won't make any sense. Hint hint!

Chapter 28

After hugging Toby, Francis turned back to her plate, picking up her fork with the bite of lasagna still on it. She lifted the fork towards her mouth but stopped midway and slowly turned to look at Toby, who was looking at her with a big smile plastered on his face. In the brief time between picking up her fork and raising it towards her mouth, she'd realized what Toby had done by what he told her. She snorted, shook her head slightly, then softly said, "You're a snot, but thank you."

Toby leaned over and gave Francis a peck on the cheek, before telling her, "Any time, my little sister."

Francis' eyes were moist and her throat tight after Toby spoke. She felt the safest course right now was to continue eating. Or she was going to have a good cry right there at the dinner table.

The three women could see the effect Toby's words had on Francis, and could see how she fought to hold it together. "So, Toby. Let's hear your opinion of the evaluation questions," Jane said to Toby, more as a way to give Francis more time to calm down.

"I have to agree with Francis. Many of the questions I couldn't answer because of not having gone through the relevant courses. I'm also like Francis and wasn't allowed to take AP courses, even though I asked to take them. They said my grades didn't show I could deal with AP courses. I asked them to test me and I'd prove I belonged in those courses." Here he snorted, before going on, remembering the condescending attitude of his counselor: 'That isn't how it's done, Toby. The grades you earn in your classes determine if you're suitable for AP classes. And obviously, you're not.' At the time, after his counselor said that, Toby wanted to punch that arrogant asshole in the mouth. "But my so-called counselor said I didn't have the grades to prove I could handle AP courses. I so wanted to punch that arrogant bastard in the face after he said that. Especially as he sat there with a smug grin on his face after telling me I couldn't take AP courses. After that, I didn't really care anymore, so I did the bare minimum to get by in my classes. I'd sit in the library during my free period and read what they said I couldn't learn." Then he looked at Susan and told her, "I was even reading an advanced physics textbook that included a section on particle physics. I was a few chapters away from that section when I was arrested. Maybe if I'd made it through that section I could have answered that question on particle physics. Now though… " and he just shook his head in resignation, believing he'd never have a chance now to fulfill his dream of becoming a psychologist. He just sat there at the table, his head down and using his fork to move pieces of lasagna around on his plate.

Marie reached over and laid her left hand on Jane's right hand. Jane reached over and placed her right hand on Susan's left hand. After hearing what Francis and Toby had to say, there were three women at that table who were doing their very best to rein in the anger that threatened to become actions.

Even after hearing Charlotte's questions and seeing the results of her evaluation papers, Jane still had to ask the question. "Charlotte. We haven't heard from you yet. Tell us what you thought of the evaluation."

Despite sitting at the dinner table, Charlotte's mind was still standing at the library window looking out. Charlotte was looking at her plate when she spoke. "It was okay, Aunt Jane. Nothing special." And that's all she said, or as Jane believed, all she was going to say. Jane was usually demanding when it came to the girls speaking to her. They looked at her when they spoke or incurred her wrath for not doing so. However, this time she knew if she pushed Charlotte into looking at her when she spoke, Charlotte could go ballistic again.

Hoping what she was about to say would bolster the three teens, she told them, "From what Susan has shown me, the three of you did quite well. Even without having the advanced courses. That in itself is a testament to the work you three have done on your own. Not many would have done what you three have done on your own, that's something to be proud of doing." Jane had crossed her mental fingers before she spoke, and it seemed to have paid off. There was no shouting, crying, or anyone bolting from the table. Instead, they had looked at her as she spoke, each in turn getting a thoughtful look on their face while she spoke.

Francis broke the silence with, "That may be true, Aunt Jane. But it'd be even better if we could take AP courses. I know I wouldn't be bored sitting in those classes. But it'll never happen to me. I'll be stuck in those boring classes after leaving here."

Once again, the casserole dish of lasagna was cleaned out, as was the salad and garlic bread. Once everyone's fork had been laid to rest on the plates, Marie and the girls went into the kitchen are returned with the dessert. During dessert, Jane again reminded the girls of the research papers they had due and suggested after the kitchen was clean, they should spend time working on their papers before needing to get ready for bed. Toby felt left out until he saw the sweet smile on Susan's face. She and Jane had finished their desserts, and Susan now sat with her elbows on the table, her hands flat under her chin, and a sweet, innocent smile, garnishing her face. "And Toby. After helping the best you can with clearing the table, and in the kitchen, you are to go to the library and follow Susan's directions. I believe what she has planned for you will enhance the rudimentary learning you received in a subject at your high school. All of you need to work as efficiently as possible and not waste the short time you have before your bedtime. Since all three of you have finished your desserts, you may be excused to begin your chores."

After helping Toby out of his chair, the three had the dining table cleared in a matter of minutes. When Marie went into the kitchen, she was almost run over by the girl's quick proficient work, directing Toby when necessary. When Toby had done all he could do at the moment, he slowly walked out of the kitchen and to the library, where he walked through the open door. After entering the library, he saw Susan rifling through several boxes until he heard her exclaim, "FOUND IT!" After standing up, she looked at Toby and had the same innocent smile on her face. Pointing to the couch, she and Toby met there at the same moment before she told him, "You asked me a question during the evaluation you were taking. This book," and she held it up for Toby to see, "can answer that question and many more you may have. There will be no labs, just reading, and after completing a section, there will be a graded test. So," and she handed Toby the AP Physics book she'd been holding, "start reading."

Susan had to suppress the chuckle threatening to escape because of the surprised look on Toby's face. "Well, I'll be dang. I'm finally going to be allowed to take an AP course." He'd been looking down at the AP Physics book he was holding, so Susan didn't have a clear view of his face. But when he looked up, she saw his eyes were wet. With a catch in his voice, he told her, "Thank you for this. I've been wanting this for a long time."

Susan didn't have to say anything more, as she watched him sit down on the couch and become lost in his reading. He didn't even hear Francis and Charlotte enter the library, or the door close behind them. Even when Francis or Charlotte asked what he was reading, he didn't hear them, he was so focused on his reading. Susan had sat at the opposite end of the couch, watching Toby as he read. She was rather shocked by how swiftly Toby was reading the material in the book, flipping page after page in rapid succession. She had known people who could speed read, and retain what they read, but there was nothing in Toby's file about his ability to do the same. The section test she would give him would prove if he was capable of speed reading, and retaining what he read.

Two hours had passed when a knock was heard on the library door. For the girls, it would be trained reflex causing them to look up from their work to see who was about to come into the library. But not for Toby, who was still lost in his reading. The library door opened and the girls watched as Aunt Jane entered the library. After closing the library door behind her, she walked over to the table and enquired how the girls were doing on their papers. When their answers met her expectations, she then turned her attention to Toby, still sitting on the couch and still flipping page after page. Jane gave Susan a questioning look, nodding her head towards Toby. "He's been like that ever since I gave him that book. I don't think he's heard anything since he started reading." Jane and Susan watched for several minutes as Toby flipped page after page before Susan softly called Toby's name. He kept on reading. She raised her voice, but he kept on reading. Finally, she reached over, grabbed his arm, and shook him. Then, and only then, did she get his attention.

Toby looked up from his reading and noticed everyone looking at him, including Aunt Jane. "Oh, hi Aunt Jane. I didn't hear you come into the library. I was lost in this book," and he held it up for Jane to see. "Why is everyone looking at me? Did I faux pas again? If I did, I'm sorry."

Perplexed as Susan was by Toby's reading, Jane asked, "Toby, are you retaining what you're reading, given how fast you seem to be reading?"

Toby smiled, then handed the book to Susan and told her, "I've read the first two hundred pages. Pick any page within that range, then tell me the page number and the paragraph number of your choice." Susan found page two hundred and isolated those pages from the rest of the book. She then opened those pages at random, telling Toby the page number. She stabbed the page, letting her finger land on a random paragraph. When she told him the paragraph number, all four watched as Toby closed his eyes, and recited that paragraph verbatim. He asked her to pick another page and paragraph, and again recited that paragraph verbatim.

After opening his eyes, he looked around and saw everyone had their mouths open, even Jane. "Um… why is everyone's mouth hanging open?"

Jane was the first to recover as she told him, "Don't you realize what you've just done, Toby? You've read two hundred pages in that Physics book in two hours. You then recited not one, but two randomly selected paragraphs and recited both verbatim." The shocked look on Jane's face remained because of what Toby told her next.

"Okaayy… so?"

Susan was shaking her head, realizing Toby didn't understand the significance of what he'd just done. "Toby, very few people can do what you've just done. And it seems you are another one of those who can. How'd you learn to read so fast and retain what you've read?"

If what they just witnessed wasn't so serious, they all might be laughing right now. Toby's face became animated with frowns of various forms. Head tilts and turns as though he was listening to something. Questions crossed his face and he finally said, "You mean everyone doesn't read like I do? I thought everyone read that fast."

"How long have you been reading this way, Toby?" Jane asked, sitting down on the couch next to Susan. "Who taught you to read so fast," Jane added before falling silent, waiting for Toby to answer her questions.

Toby looked thoughtful for a moment before answering Jane's questions. "Well, Aunt Jane. I guess I've always been a fast reader. It seemed to start the day I learned to read. So, in a way, I guess the elementary teacher who helped me learn to read taught me. As to remembering what I read? I don't know, I just do. I don't seem to forget anything I read, though I may have to think a bit to find anything I've read in the past. It all just seems to stick with me."

Jane just nodded her head at Toby's answers, before telling the three they needed to get ready for bed. Toby closed the Physics book, set it aside, and with some effort got up off the couch. The girls gathered up their work and returned it all to their individual folders, before putting them away in a filing cabinet. Asking for permission to leave, and receiving permission, Jane waited until the three were out of the library before speaking with Susan. Only Susan went first. "Oy vey… that discovery just shot holes in my plans for him. He's almost a fourth of the way through the book, in two hours. He'd finish reading the entire book if he was allowed to read all day. Jane, he's at such an accelerated pace I don't think I can keep up with him. He'll be through lessons faster than what I have in mind for him. My God, Jane. Those fools are holding back a boy who could graduate high school within at least two years." After saying that, she sat there shaking her head at the stupidity of those running Toby's high school.

Jane could see the frustration written on Susan's face. Patting Susan's thigh, she told her, "Go. Go home to your husband. Let him calm your soul as only he can do. Just don't wake up your neighbors." The last was said with a cheeky smile, as Jane waited for Susan's reaction to the hint she gave her.

Jane watched Susan's face go from questioning to total surprise. "Why Jane Thompson, you cheeky woman." Susan reached over and took Jane's upper right arm, leaned into her, and in a sultry voice said, "I'll do my best to let them sleep." The two women laughed before standing up and accompanying each other to the library door, where Jane opened the door, allowing Susan to exit the library first, before following her out of the library and closing the door behind her.

Walking to the couch in the living room, Susan picked up her purse and other belongings before bidding Jane a good night; Jane walked to the living room window to make sure Susan left safely. Once Susan's car was out of sight, Jane turned and walked towards the stairs, stopping just inside the living room. It wasn't long before the three were descending the stairs, Charlotte in front, Toby in the middle, and Francis coming down last. They waited for each other before walking into the living room and stopping before Jane. Jane inspected the girl's faces, to make sure they'd properly removed their makeup, then looked at their robes to make sure they hadn't been mistreated. She then turned her attention to Toby, asking, "How have you been feeling today, Toby? You seem to be moving better than you have been. Jill will be here tomorrow to look at your wounds."

Waiting until Jane had finished speaking, Toby replied, "I think I'm doing better, Aunt Jane. My back isn't hurting as much, but my rear end is still causing me problems walking. I tried taking regular steps a few minutes ago and found out that was the wrong thing to do. So until my butt gets better, I'll be walking slower than usual."

As Toby spoke, Jane was nodding her head, indicating she understood what she was being told. "Your body has suffered a traumatic experience, don't do anything to cause a setback," was Jane's reply to what Toby told her. Before dismissing the three, she told them, "Remember, Sherry Daniels will be here tomorrow to speak with all of us. We've all displayed the need to speak with someone in her field, so be open with her. Tell her how you're feeling, what thoughts you're having, and anything else you need to tell her. Also remember, anything you tell her will not be shared with anyone else here. Including me, unless it deals with your life. Understand?" Receiving the only answer she would accept, "Yes Aunt Jane," she dismissed the three and bid them a good night, receiving the same from each of the three.

She watched as they chained their way back up the stairs, always putting Toby in between the girls. As she stood watching the girls and Toby climb the stairs, a realization struck her. Something she'd seen but hadn't seen the entire time Toby had been with them. Other than the times she told the girls to help Toby, they had helped him of their own volition. And it seemed to have started after Charlotte's blow-up at Toby, and his acceptance of her words. The three had formed a bond between themselves. The girls saw a need and filled it, knowing when to help Toby and helping him when he asked. Even Francis has been doing something without being cajoled or threatened by Jane or Marie. That in itself was an excellent sign in Frank's case.

Jane's thoughts had her consumed, so she didn't see Marie until she felt an arm go around her waist. "Come, chère, I've just made some tea. Come and give me your thoughts about Toby. He's turning out to be a remarkable young man, despite what he's done. It would seem there are now two young men whose names need to be cleared. Maybe Ruth and Charles' father should hear of this? Oui?"

Jane was still amazed at Marie's ability to know what was going on without being there to see it actually occur. After sitting down at the kitchen table, Jane recounted what she'd witnessed Toby do after she questioned him about his ability to retain what he read while reading so fast. "Two random pages, Marie, and two random paragraphs recited perfectly. Two random pages and paragraphs within the two hundred pages he read in two hours. After witnessing his performance, it is understandable why Susan becomes so angry when she sees someone like Toby and the abilities he has being wasted at his school."

Marie chuckled after what Jane said. "Chère, it isn't only Susan who gets angry when such a waste is witnessed. You are upset right now speaking about it. It is a tragedy when people such as Charles and Toby are put into a system unfit for their needs, but it isn't something we can remedy. We can only do what we do, where we are at the moment. Others who are involved in those fields will have to come forth and work to change the system. We have our skills and they have theirs, and we each must do the best we can with our given abilities. Now, go to bed, it's late. You can tell Sherry all of these things tomorrow."

Marie watched as Jane nodded her head in agreement. She reached over and patted Marie's hand, before pushing the kitchen chair back, standing and leaving the kitchen. Marie sat alone in the kitchen, the only noise coming from the work the freezer and refrigerator were doing to keep their food cold. Her thoughts, at the moment, were no better than Jane's. She too wanted to take those running their kid's schools and bang their heads against the walls until they realized what fools they've been to hold the three kids back. It wasn't long before she too saw how much she needed to speak with Sherry. She stood up, picked up her and Jane's mugs, took them to the sink, rinsed them out, sat them on the counter, took one more look around the kitchen, then walking over to the kitchen door, flicked the light switch down to shut off the kitchen lights. She checked to make sure the downstair doors were locked before climbing the stairs and making her way to her own bedroom, looking in on the three before finally closing her bedroom door behind her. She had a lot to tell Sherry in the morning.

(**)--(**)--(**)

When Jane came out of her bedroom the next morning and walked down the short hall to the dining room, she heard voices coming from the kitchen. The dining room table had been set, so she took the opportunity to go upstairs and inspect her ward's bedrooms. She didn't expect to find anything amiss in Charlotte's bedroom, because she was an orderly person. She also didn't expect to find Francis' bedroom out of order, ever since Charlotte had a talk with her and what Jane had seen of her bedroom the past few days. After inspecting each bedroom, her thoughts had become reality, both bedrooms were clean and tidy. Toby's bedroom was the real question, though. Yes, it had been neat and tidy the time she looked in on him, but would that continue? As she stepped into Toby's bedroom and closed the door behind her, she put her back to the bedroom door and slowly scanned the room. Just as she found in Charlotte's and Francis' bedrooms, nothing was out of place. Wondering, since she didn't see his pajamas, she walked over to the neatly made bed, lifted the pillow, and found his pajamas neatly folded under the pillow. Was this because of Francis or Charlotte? Her next stop was the en suite. Again, after entering the en suite, she put her back to the closed door and scanned the room. With a practiced eye, she saw towels were hung on the towel bars. The toilet lid was down, and the faucets shut off completely. Taking a closer look at the bathtub, she marveled at how clean it was, given what pain Toby was still feeling. She wondered how he had reached across the tub to clean off any residue left after bathing. Francis? Charlotte? Had they helped him in this? Should she question them on this? Would questioning them serve any purpose? Wasn't one of her purposes to have them learn to keep their living place clean without being told to do so? Hadn't Toby done that? After deliberations, she decided to watch and see if it continued to be done to her satisfaction, as it had been done this time.

Jane had come down the stairs just as Charlotte had placed buttered toast on the table. Charlotte looked up to see Jane walking into the dining room and noticed a puzzled look on her face. "Yes, Aunt Jane," was all she said to Jane, eliciting another look on Jane's face Charlotte knew all too well.

"Yes what, Charlotte?" Jane asked, believing she already knew the answer Charlotte would give her.

"You're wondering how Toby's bedroom was clean and tidy. And why his pajamas were under the pillow." Charlotte knew it wouldn't be wise to chuckle at the expression now on Jane's face, she didn't want to discover what she'd be doing next if that chuckle became public.

Jane's face now had a questioning look about it, as she asked, "How did you know what I was wondering, Miss Thorton?" Jane was now staring at Charlotte, embers in her eyes, even though she knew Charlotte wouldn't wilt under such a gaze.

"I read the expression on your face, Aunt Jane," she said to Jane, wisely hiding the smile she had wanted to display. "You had a puzzled expression on your face, Aunt Jane. It couldn't have been about Francis' bedroom or my bedroom, or you would have laid into us. So it had to be about Toby's bedroom. And yes, we've been helping him keep his bedroom and the en suite clean. He tried cleaning the tub himself but opened one of the wounds on his back. It wasn't bad, but it really hurt. And his rear end keeps him from bending over to reach the other side of the tub. So, Francis and I have been helping him after we finish our rooms."

If Charlotte expected Jane to say more about her and Francis helping Toby, she was disappointed. All Jane said to her was, "I see. Run along, you have more to do in the kitchen." After her exchange with Charlotte, Jane walked over to the big window in the living room. Charlotte's hand was just about to push the kitchen door open when she heard, "And Charlotte, you need to set three more places at the dining room table. Our guests have arrived."

tbc
Chapter 29

up
60 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It Appears

joannebarbarella's picture

That Toby has an eidetic memory, so you have to wonder why anyone held him back in his education. Jealousy? Ignorance?

It's great to see the girls helping him overcome the disabilities inflicted by his wounds.

Hi joanne

Jamie Lee's picture

If you remember, he asked to be tested, but his grades did warrant him to be tested. So, he just did the minimum work to pass his classes. Minimum work means just passing tests and nothing fancy on assignments. It's like Susan said, he could be out of high school in a minimum of two years.

Thanks for your comment.

Others have feelings too.

With Toby's memory how could

With Toby's memory how could he ever have gotten a bad grade. He should have been able to ace every test
unless he got so bored that he just didn't finish them.

Eidetic memory and photographic memory

lisa charlene's picture

Eidetic memory and photographic memory both refer to the ability to remember, in detail, information taken in visually. However, eidetic memory is considered a more short-term form of memory—and one that is backed up by evidence, albeit a small amount. Photographic memory, on the other hand, is thought to be a more long-term form of memory. it could be either one but with his ability to do many languages id say more likely he has photographic memory .only time will tell especially since Eidetic memory seems to disappear as children age .and other types of memory began develops .And since Toby said "I don't seem to forget anything I read " that statement tells me that his memory is more long term.

Hi lisa

Jamie Lee's picture

Whichever type of memory he has, he's blown the socks off Susan and Jane.

Thanks for your comment.

Others have feelings too.

Hi Guest Reader

Jamie Lee's picture

He wasn't bored, he was angry they wouldn't let him take AP courses or test him. Because he was angry, he didn't try to do better, even though he knew he could.

Thanks for the comment.

Others have feelings too.