The Caller

Printer-friendly version


~~The Caller~~


By Jamie Lee

It was one hundred and fifty feet from the roof of the old factory to the ground, and s/he was standing twenty feet from the edge of the roof. The professional-looking makeup s/he applied was not ruined, it and tears running down her cheeks. S/he had spent months learning how to properly apply her makeup until it looked as though it was a professional job. S/he worked just as hard learning how to style her hair, gaining another professional-looking job.

S/he was wearing a flower print dress, with a white base, matching bra and panties in a pale pink, nude pantyhose, and kitten heel shoes which complimented the dress. A beautiful woman’s watch was on her left wrist, and a small heart dangled from the bracelet on her right wrist; it matched the necklace she wore. She had chosen everything carefully, three hours ago. It is now two hours after her parents unexpectedly came home to find Tammy Walker and not their son, sixteen-year-old son Matt Walker.

It was two hours ago her mother had to hold her father back to keep him from beating the hell out of their son. Once her father realized what he had intended, he backed off, but her mother was next to have a go at her son. The almost physical attack by her father, the verbal attack by her mother was too much to bear. She grabbed her purse and car keys, ran out of the house, got in her car, and left. Never telling anyone where she was going, or planned to do. S/he’d had enough. S/he’d tried telling her parents for the last three years s/he was a girl pretending to be a boy. But they didn’t listen. The first time s/he told her parents, her father backhanded her so hard she flew into a wall. “No child of mine will be a queer,” he yelled, as he dragged her up the stairs and literally threw her into her bedroom.

S/he had enough, more than enough, s/he thought. S/he was weary of it all, tired beyond sleep. And it was now time to rest. S/he tried to take a step towards the edge of the old factory roof, but her leg refused to obey. S/he tried the other leg, but it too refused her command. She started crying harder now, as she looked up and screamed, “WHY? WHY NOT?” S/he put her face into her hands and wailed. Was she wailing because of what s/he wanted to do but wasn’t allowed? Or because of the rejection by her parents? Her crying continued.

S/he was concentrating so much on herself at that moment, that she couldn’t hear her name being called. S/he couldn’t hear her name being called when the voice was closer. S/he was shocked when her name was hollered directly behind her, causing her to stop crying but the tears still flowed.

“Tammy, please, turn around, look at us,” said the voice of her father, a voice she knew well. He called her Tammy, her own father. He had called him queer at first. S/he didn’t realize her legs were working again until s/he had turned to face her father, and mother. S/he suddenly realized what s/he’d done and looked down at her legs. ‘Why now?’ s/he thought to herself.

“Tammy, we were wrong. We didn’t understand. Please, PLEASE, forgive us. Please come home with us, Tammy. We’ll get you all the help you need to be who you truly are. Tammy, please?” S/he saw tears running down her father’s face, pleading with her to come home. Her mother’s eyes were also red, she too had been crying.

Tammy had a sudden thought. S/he never told her parents, or anyone else, where s/he was going, or what s/he planned. S/he gave her parents a quizzical look and asked, “How did you find me? I didn’t tell anyone where I was going,” and in a small voice, “or what I planned to do.”

Her mother told her, “We received a phone call, Tammy. The caller told us where you were,” and she choked up when she said, “and what you were planning to do. Oh, please, Tammy, come home with us.”

Her parents could see that Tammy was thinking, before she asked, “Who would’ve called you on your cell phone to tell you about me here? I never told anyone.” Her dad shook his head and said, “It wasn’t on our cell phones, Tammy. It was on our landline phone.” It took Tammy a few moments to realize what her dad just said. Now she was even more confused as she said, “But daddy, you had that phone disconnected three months ago. No one could call you on that phone.”

Her father smiled at her and replied, “You’re right Tammy. I did have that phone disconnected three months ago, and no one should have been able to call us. But someone did.”

Tammy started crying again. This time, being overjoyed that her parents had come for her and wanted her home with them, she ran to them, the three hugged, before walking, arms around each other, back to the same stairs Tammy had used to get onto the roof. Her legs were working perfectly again.

up
141 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

in the nick of time

way cool. will she ever learn who called?

DogSig.png

Reader decides

Jamie Lee's picture

No, Dorothy, they never find out. I leave it to the reader to decide.

Others have feelings too.

Ah

Andrea Lena's picture

Providence or chance

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Tough subject

Rhayna Tera's picture

Sensitive writing style.

Always tough subject

Jamie Lee's picture

Yes, Rhayna it is a tough subject. For some, those who know someone who succeed, very tough.

Others have feelings too.

Parental rejection.

Had my parental rejection happened at say fourteen or fifteen, I too would probably not be here now. However, and this is the weird part; I was too young at six to understand about rejection, (I waited and waited for years, but they never came.)
By the time I worked it out, (fourteen or fifteen,)I had become a hardened 'runaway' and any feelings for my family had dissolved by that time. It was later, much, much later in my twenties, that I started to feel anger and that feeling has never left me. Tears don't seem to help either.

bev_1.jpg

Sorry to hear that

Jamie Lee's picture

There are many feelings that never leave us, and if we aren't careful, start to define us.

I have moments when reading something, or watching something, where a memory will be triggered and it feels as fresh then as it did when the event happened.

This short is one such an example. I know a young man who took his own live. He reached out to me and I did nothing. I often play the 'what if' game with myself, when the memory surfaces, had I helped. But now, it's a memory, one I can't change. It happened.

But I don't let that memory, or other memories, define me.

Others have feelings too.

Parents are worst enemies

I used to say that a good parent is a dead parent. I realize now that a few exceptions do exist, but such exceptions are as rare as unicorns. For me, my parents have always been my worst enemies in life, ever since my birth. I would be the happiest woman in the world if my parents were to catch a deadly case of Covid and succumb to it - although sadly I will likely not even find out about it - it is my understanding that various officials have to notify only one next of kin, not all, and the two evildoers in question have other next of kin who are much closer to them and much easier to find.

Using one brush

Jamie Lee's picture

No parent at any time in any history had an instruction manual on being a parent. Parenting seems to be a mixture of handed down examples and what society felt constituted an acceptable parent. That usually resulted in how their children were treated, how society felt children should be dealt with, and the build up of resentment how by the child how they were treated.

When that child becomes an adult they have choices to make should they have children of their own. Do they become copies of their parents and the society they grew up living through? Or learn from the resentment built up from their treatment and do things differently?

In other words, that child can rise above the hurt and resentment and change how they'll treat their children, or perpetuate the hurt and resentment heaped on them as a child.

Others have feelings too.

I loved it.

Rose's picture

I loved it.

1F601.png

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Kind of you

Jamie Lee's picture

Thank you Rose, it's very kind of you.

Others have feelings too.

Remove double post

Jamie Lee's picture

Removed.

Others have feelings too.

Interesting, but . . .

Really impossible. While it makes a good hook for a fiction story, real magic doesn't exist. If it did there wouldn't be nearly as many suicides. This doesn't trigger my suspension of disbelief. It triggers other things, though.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Sorry you didn't like the story

Jamie Lee's picture

I'm sorry to see you didn't like the story. It wasn't written to try and change anyone's beliefs, just to be entertaining.

Others have feelings too.