Leonora's Journal Volume 2 Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

Leonora's Journal Volume Two

leather journal.jpg


The Sequel to 'Ring of Stone' and 'Leonora's Journal Volume One' by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2023

Chapter 27 A secret shared

Sunday 12th September.
Yesterday was the ball at Studleigh Park and there is a lot to record. Oxford is in want of a theatre, an omission which I hope will be rectified before too long. Thus, the local ton have to rely on their own resources for entertainment, and balls and musical recitals are the most population means of divertissement. Balls in particular, have the advantage of providing a means by which the young single men and woman of the town can be introduced to each other and if there is attraction, then who knows what might ensue?

Studleigh Park has a larger ballroom than Marston House and so the invitation list could be expanded accordingly. At least thirty young women with an equal number of young men, plus their parents were easily accommodated. A fine band had been secured for the occasion and the whole room was gay with decorations and lit by hundreds of candles. Women take great care in their presentation at balls and the gowns were exceptionally beautiful. The gentlemen are of course fairly restricted since they only have the conventional evening dress which is worn to every occasion. Nevertheless, I was pleased to see that they all took exceptional care with their toilette.

Although she could not dance because of her condition, Lucy greatly enjoyed the scene and everyone complimented her as they knew that she was mainly responsible for the arrangements. With our conversation masked by the hubbub of the gathering, she asked me if I could recommend a good midwife when her time comes. My reply was that I have only experienced Mrs Jenkins but I would have no hesitation in recommending her, and would secure her services again should the need arise.

Richard knows how much I love to dance and very gallantly made sure that I was not in want of great enjoyment. Lady Susan and her two daughters Phoebe and Eloise were also present. I feel sad for Lady Susan since as a widow, even though now out of mourning, I suspect it is not considered appropriate for her to dance. Her daughters certainly made up for it as they were approached by many young men requesting their hand in a dance.

During one dance, I was not totally surprised to see that my brother John was dancing with my sister-in-law Sarah. I confess that for some time I have wondered if Sarah has any interest in men at all, but if she does, she could hardly find someone more suitable than John. Not only is he very handsome (and if a sister writes thus of her brother, you can be sure it is true) but he is also very intelligent as it proven by his current apprenticeship to one of England’s top lawyers who has his pick of whom he chooses to study with him.

You can be sure that the dancing couple had not escaped Lucy’s notice and after I sat down, we discussed whether there might be any future for them. When John and Sarah had a second set of two dances, the maximum which an unmarried couple can enjoy, we really began to think that there might be something in it. I cautioned Lucy about saying anything to Sarah for fear of killing a budding romance.

“In any event, he cannot possibly consider marriage until he is a qualified barrister and starting to make his fortune,” I said, and Lucy agreed.

The next time that John returned Sarah to her sister, I was surprised that he gallantly invited me to dance with him. As we circled I could not but help saying, “Miss Sarah is a delightful person is she not?”

John smiled. “Indeed she is, but I hope that my sister is not becoming a gossip?”

I blushed, I could not help it, and John laughed of course, and I laughed too.

“Truly I am no matchmaker, John. Sarah and Lucy being twins are very close which is why she is living here with Lucy and Freddie and if she found someone to whom she wished to give her heart, he would have to be warned that she would still wish to live in close proximity to her sister. I could not see her being happy otherwise.”

John smiled. “Thank you for the advice, sister; I will consider it carefully.”

I have failed to mention the attendance of my parents and sister Emma, who as on previous occasions was accompanied by her nurse so that she could retire early. On this occasional the Cholmodelays (pronounced ‘Chumley’) were present and they have a young son Mortimer, aged twelve, whose eyes lit up at the sight of Emma as, like young Henry that we met in Bath, he was tired of having nobody of his age to dance with, He approached Mama and Papa, introduced himself, being quite confident for his age, and begged to be permitted to request a dance with Emma, a request which was agreed to. I can see my little sister becoming a heartbreaker!
Once more, Richard and I joined the same dance in order to keep a close eye on them, but I was pleased to see that they both danced very well and with great propriety.

Although the ball was scheduled to continue until near dawn, Richard and I returned home by midnight as I do not like to be away from Elizabeth for too long. I was pleased to hear that she had been very well behaved during our absence. It is as well that I am not jealous as I suspect she sometimes thinks that Anna is her mother!

Tuesday 14th September
It is customary for guests at a ball to visit the people that hold them in the following days to thank them for a lovely evening. I decided to visit today, and asked John if he would like to accompany me, not really thinking that he would, but he seemed to accept the invitations with alacrity. On arrival at Studleigh Park, we found Freddie, Lucy and Sarah in the drawing room, the two women engaged in their needlework while Freddie was reading the paper. It seems that Phoebe and Eloise were out visiting friends.

After the customary greetings, bows and curtseys, (I noticed Sarah’s pink cheeks as she greeted John), we sat down to converse. It was a lovely day and I could not help noticing that John seemed a little ‘on edge’. Finally, he rose and approached Freddie, asking if he might be permitted the company of Miss Sarah to take a turn around the flower garden. This being agreed to, John gave his hand to Sarah to rise and they left us to view the flowers. It’s well known that Sarah is very fond of flowers and even takes a turn at gardening herself, not a common occupation for young ladies. With Freddie’s head hidden behind the newspaper (and I was pleased to see him taking some time off from the business of the estate), Lucy and I exchanged a smile. We both suspected that whatever Sarah and John were discussing, it was not horticulture.

When Sarah and John returned to the room after being absent for a respectable amount of time, Lucy rang for tea and the conversation turned to general matters.

“How is your time in London proceeding?” asked Freddie.

“Very well I believe,” replied John. “As you may know, I am a pupil of Sir Garfield Livingstone K.C., a well-known barrister, and he seems satisfied with my work, while still being a hard taskmaster. I have very little time to myself.”

“And when might your apprenticeship end?” asked Emily.

“In about six months, after which I intend to return to Oxford and take up a position with a very well-known company of barristers and solicitors who have offered me a position already.”

“That is good news. I hope we will see more of you then,” said Lucy. Sarah had said nothing at all, but I think much had been said while viewing the herbaceous borders.

On the way home in the coach, I could not help but question John about the afternoon.

“Judging by Sarah’s heightened colour and the way you looked so pleased with yourself after your garden walk, might I conclude that some matters are settled between you two?”

John hesitated. “If I confide in you it is the with the understanding that it must be kept strictly confidential,” he said.

“You can rely upon me John, my lips are sealed,” I replied.

“Well, I started by explaining to Miss d’Anglais that until I complete my training and start to earn an income, I cannot possibly consider making an offer to any young lady as I know her parents would reject it outright.”

“I think you may call her Sarah,” I replied. “There is only the two of us here. I imagine she accepted the wisdom of your remarks?”

“Indeed. Then I went on to say, and I confess to being somewhat nervous at this point, that when I am finally in a position to make a young lady an offer, I wondered, if it was made to her, how she might receive it? She paused for what must have been several seconds but to me they seemed like hours, and finally said that if I was to make her an offer at that point, she would be very pleased to accept it, subject of course to her father’s approval.”

regency garden proposal.jpeg

I know my face broke out into a broad smile at this point. “So, you are effectively unofficially engaged!” I exclaimed.

“Well, yes, I suppose we are. I know that she will confide in her sister, but not a word to anyone else.”

“Of course not, not even a hint,” I responded. “Once you have built up a sufficient fortune, I’m sure Sir John will be happy to give his blessing to the union.”

“There was one thing I said to her, which I feared might make her change her mind, but had to be said; I pointed out that once we are married, I would expect her to live with me at a different address, but I would make sure that it was as close to Studleigh Park as possible.”

“And how did she respond to that?”

“She said, ‘Mr Bolton, you know that my sister and I are very close, but there can only be one mistress in a house and I would fully expect to be mistress of my own house after I marry. However, I do thank you for your kindness in saying you will establish us in close proximity to my sister.”

“Well, this is wonderful news, John, but you can be assured that I will not divulge what you have told me today to a living soul.”

(For the next month there was little of note to record, but then came an interesting letter from John to Leonora. J.D.)

Thursday 29th October
Today I received a letter from my brother John in London, which I have decide to copy into my journal in full. It read as follows:

‘My Dearest Sister,
I have some very good news for you and some perhaps not so good news. I am writing in similar terms to both Miss d’Anglais and also Mama and Papa.

Firstly, I am pleased to report that Sir Garfield has informed me that he considers that at the end of the Michaelmas legal term in late December, I will have completed my pupillage and will be called to the bar. This means I can then call myself a barrister. This is very good news as it means that I can start to argue cases and be paid for my work.

My second news is Sir Garfield has invited me to join the Chambers of which he is Head. This is a great compliment, but of course means that I would have to stay in London for probably another year. The truth is that I promised Miss Sarah that I would return to Oxford as soon as I was a qualified barrister, but until I at least start to make my fortune, I cannot approach Sir John with a request to marry her, and if I stay in London, I will have more opportunities for financial gain, and also my reputation than I can in Oxford. I do hope that she will not think that by making this decision that my ardour has cooled since that is far from the case. I merely think that by staying in London I might be in a position to ask for her hand sooner than if I return to Oxford.

I am going to ask a great favour of you. Would you be kind enough to visit Miss Sarah and assure her of my commitment to marriage at the earliest possible opportunity?

The Michaelmas term finishes on Tuesday 21st December, and it is my intention to return to Oxford for Christmas where I will stay with Mama and Papa, and will certainly visit you and Studleigh Park.

I remain,
Your most devoted brother,
John.

Upon receiving this letter and digesting the contents, I wrote to Lucy saying that I had a matter of importance to discuss with Sarah, and would she be kind enough to receive me at her earliest convenience?

Friday 30th October.
I received a note from Lucy saying that I would be most welcome next Monday afternoon if that was suitable for me. Perhaps she guessed the reason for my request since I’m sure Sarah would have shared the contents of her letter from John.

Monday 2nd November
Today I visited Studleigh Park. Lucy is indeed ‘great with child’ and must surely be confined within the next few weeks. Phoebe and Eloise were home and not knowing how much they knew of Sarah and John’s unofficial engagement, I felt it was appropriate to speak to Sarah on her own. I therefore requested that she would shew me her latest plantings in the garden. She glanced at Lucy who gave her a nod. I think she must have told Freddie’s sisters that I wished to speak to Sarah alone, since they did not ask to accompany us.

It was a beautiful day with the sun shining and a slight breeze but pleasantly warm.
At Sarah’s request, Freddie has allocated for her use a section of the garden which she has designed in a most elegant manner and prepared with her own hands. I could not help thinking that if her position in the family had not forbidden it, she could have been very successful as a garden improver. I was genuinely interested in what she has done, but of course there were other matters to discuss.

“Like you, I have received a letter from John, which contained a request that I visit you. In fact, I have brought it with me. Would you like to read it?”

Sarah coloured slightly. “Yes please,” she said. I reached into my reticule and handed the document over, keeping silent while she perused it.

“He is very concerned that you might take his decision to stay in London for a year as an indicator that he no longer wishes to marry you, and wants me to assure you that that is not the case, quite the reverse.”

Handing the letter back, Sarah said with a blush, “I confess that when I first read his letter to me, which was couched in similar terms, that thought crossed my mind, but I now realise that he is making the best decision in order that we should marry.as soon as possible.”

“You probably realise that, being unable to earn any remuneration during his pupillage, my papa furnished him with sufficient funds to live in London. John thinks that he will have to return the money to Papa as the honourable thing to do, but knowing Papa’s kindness as I do, I suspect he will refuse repayment, and that will help John build his fortune. When he returns to Oxford with a fine reputation, as I’m sure he will, and also the start of a good fortune, I have little doubt that Sir John will give his consent to you marrying.”

Sarah smiled. “Oh, I do hope so! That being the case, I can bear waiting another year.”

“In my reply to him, may I assure him that you fully understand the reason for his decision to stay in London?” I asked.

“Yes, please do,” Sarah said. “I intend to write a letter to him couched in similar terms. I’m sure a year will pass quickly enough.”

Our conversation being concluded to our mutual satisfaction, we returned to the house for tea with Lucy and Freddie’s sisters. Lucy informed me that she was fully prepared for her confinement and has secured the services of Mrs Jenkins who has already visited h r to make sure that all is in readiness.. I feel sure that is a wise decision.

Wednesday 4th November,
This morning a brief note arrived from Freddie informing us that about five o’clock this morning, Lucy was safely delivered of a fine baby boy. Both mother and son are doing well. The baby will be named Frederick after his father and grandfather. I immediately sent a note back to Studleigh Park, expressing our congratulations, love and best wishes, and asking that we be permitted to visit as soon as Lucy felt able to receive us.

Saturday 7th November
Today, Richard, Elizabeth and I visited Studleigh Park to meet the new addition to the family. Lucy was glowing with happiness and Freddie is as proud as Punch. We congratulated them both and when the time came for Lucy to feed her newborn, then the gentlemen left us alone. Young Freddie feeds very well, and I am sure he will grow quickly. Lucy told me that she had been in labour from the previous afternoon to his birthday and had not suffered greatly, so all had gone very well. She complimented me on Elizabeth’s progress. There is no doubt that becoming a mother changes a woman in many ways. Suddenly her focus in life changes to be centred on her child or children. I took along a gift of a beautiful woollen blanket and it was gratefully received.

Sunday 8th November.
The arrival of young Freddie has me thinking that a husband loves all his children, but he is especially pleased when his wife produces a son and heir. This makes me think that perhaps the time is approaching when Richard and I should try for another child, hopefully a boy.

Sunday 21st November
‘Stir it up’ Sunday. How quickly the year has gone, and here we are leading up to Christmas and tomorrow Mrs Walker and her staff will start upon the task of making Christmas puddings! We have changed the day rather than make the kitchen staff work on them on a Sunday.

Monday 22nd November.
A letter arrived from Lady Elizabeth today to inform us that she and Sir John will be coming to spend Christmas with us and enjoy time with the family. They are particularly looking forward to seeing their granddaughter again and their new grandson. They anticipate arriving on Friday December 17th and expect to stay for three or four weeks.

I confess to feeling slightly out of sorts at this announcement. Richard and I are master and mistress of Marston House even if it belongs to Sir John, and I think it would have been polite to ask if it was convenient for them to visit, even though of course we would not have refused. I am making a mental note to show tact when I am mistress of Grasmere, which I hope is many years in the future, but if truth be told it is only a heartbeat away.

Anticipating my thoughts, she also informed us that Lady Ellen had been invited to accompany them but had declined on account of her advancing years and the uncomfortable four-day journey. She will not be alone at Grasmere. She has a long-time maid called Betty, so long in fact that they behave almost as friends rather than mistress and servant. In addition, Richard’s Uncle David and his wife have been invited to spend Christmas afternoon at Grasmere after he has conducted the Christmas morning service, to enjoy Christmas Dinner with her, and stay until Boxing Day morning, when they will have to return to Grasmere for the Sunday service at St Oswald’s. They may, however, return to Grasmere Hall for a few more days. My feeling is that Uncle David has been asked to discretely keep a watch on Lady Ellen.

I have informed Mrs Danvers and Mr Anderson that Sir John and Lady d’Anglais will be visiting so that preparations can be made to receive them. There will also be Lady Elizabeth’s maid and Sir John’s valet and an extra footman to accommodate; I suspect it might be Eric, who had acquitted himself so well on Lady Elizabeth’s last visit when the stagecoach was held up. I wonder if he has been taking shooting lessons?

Wednesday 24th November
I visited Lucy and Sarah for afternoon tea. Young Freddie is showing signs of growing apace. I told them that Sir John and Lady Elizabeth were coming to visit for Christmas. They have not yet received a letter but I’m sure will do so soon as no doubt their parents will like to spend some time staying at Studleigh Park. Lucy told me that she has persuaded Freddie to hold a New Year’s Eve ball at Studleigh Park. By so doing, Lucy will be able to attend while still being in close proximity to baby Freddie. I understand perfectly. Being a mother changes one’s life in many ways.

Thursday 25th November
Mrs Danvers and I have a good working relationship. When I first heard her name I confess to feeling a shiver through my body. There was something about her name which I could not place since I’ve never met anyone else of the same name. She is remarkably competent. Indeed, it has sometime surprised me that she hasn’t been poached to keep house for one of the large mansions of the aristocracy or even royalty. I am very pleased that she remains at Marston House of course and I think I may have found out the reasons why. She is married , but her husband is a sea captain and spends much of the year sailing to distant parts of the world. They have no children. While she and Mr Anderson, who is a widower, have an excellent professional relationship, there was something she said once in an unguarded moment which led me to suspect that perhaps their relationship is more than just professional, but I must not gossip, not even to the pages of my journal.

Early in my arrival at Marston House, I was tempted to tell her that there was no need to curtsey to me when other people are not present. I am glad that I did not, since it is now clear to me that she is very conscious of our positions and would not take kindly to me ‘rocking the boat’ as it were by encouraging over familiarity as she would have seen it.

To be continued

up
47 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sarah and John.....awwwwww!

Lucy Perkins's picture

Oh Miss Bronwen, I do confess to being a little a fluster at the beautifully way that you have described the quite proper romance between Leonora's admirable brother John, and the delightful Miss d'AnglaisI
I have worried about the lovely Sarah, and considered that you might have had her as a pioneering Lady Garden Improver, a sort of Regency Vita Sackville-West.
However, it is wonderful to see her in love.
It is a measure of how much I am enjoying your wonderful story, that I have dug out my old and much thumbed copies of Jane Austen and Charlotte Brontë for a little Christmas Comfort reading.
This is a great story. Thank You. Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

I so love the Regency decorum.

They live what seems to be structured lives according to the manners of conversation. Of course they are a married couple who. enjoy the peculiarities of kin and friends. And obviously pillow talk would just not do for the journal. Since people have been and always will be prople, I can look at these occasions and smile.

Merry Christmas to all.

Ron

A Shiver Down The Spine

joannebarbarella's picture

Of Futures Yet To Come, in Mrs. Danvers, as Leonora "remembers" the fearsome housekeeper in "Rebecca", some 120 years after this time.

Then there is the hint that our Mrs. Danvers may be "playing away" while her husband sails the seven seas. Given those times and the length of his voyages he may well also have had a lady in every port.

Mrs Danvers..

Purple Pixie's picture

I do so love the wee jokes which pepper your story. When first you introduced Mrs Danvers, I too had that image of her saying "Mrs DeWinter" in that menacing voice!
By the way, I love the picture which shows John and Miss Sarah having their unofficial engagement. It is just so sweet.
A lovely lovely chapter.

The Sweetest Hours
That ere I spent
Were spent dressed
as a Lassie, Oh

Great Britain at that time

Was very caste oriented. Unless you were nobility I suspect it was not much fun to live there.