Angel of Europe Part 3

Printer-friendly version

Part Three

They had lunch in the commissary, afterwards. Lieutenant Lee and Aaron sat across from each other. To the confoundment of the other team members, the two men entertained themselves as they ate by conversing in several different languages.

The days following this briefing blurred together in an intense haze of training with little respite. Small wonder that when the opportunity came for a break that some of the members of the commando team took advantage of it. Even if they weren't supposed to.

After supper one evening, Aaron was sitting under a tree, just watching the bombers on the ground at the airfields near their training camp. There were far fewer planes than there had been the day before, and many of the Lancasters and Flying Fortresses and other types were in obvious need of repair. Germany had been hit hard the day before by the Yanks and the night before by the Brits, though Aaron didn't know the specifics. There had been few flights from here today. Tonight German targets would be hit again, but by other units. Those based here had been too damaged to go back out immediately. Replacements for both men and machines were needed.

Aaron's team leader came up beside him, but didn't sit.

"We have some team members who are away from the barracks," Commander Zero told Aaron, quietly. "See if you can locate them and bring them back before they get into too much trouble."

"Any idea where they went?"

"The Yanks at the US air base which is sharing our runways are supposed to be having some sort of soirée this evening, since they aren't flying. Try there first."

"Roger. Who am I looking for?"

"Tallman, Cobber, Molly, Sutter and Reynard are all missing," said Zero. "I assume they're together."

Aaron wasn't surprised that Tallman had gone AWOL. He knew the man had a low tolerance for tedium. The others he didn't know so well. Though he was not surprised to learn that Cobber, Molly, Sutter and Reynard went along with Tallman. The big man could be very persuasive, especially when it came to breaking rules.

A bit of inquiry on the part of Aaron soon revealed that the quintet had "commandeered" a civilian car owned by one of the clerical staff (there was likely some significant monetary compensation involved; Tallman always seemed to have money) for their expedition. Aaron went to a private area and changed to Malak. He flew, invisible, to the cluster of crude huts being used by the recently renamed Army Air Forces (which were generally referred to as the US Air Corps, the changeover in common usage taking time). They were still organizing for the War effort, still underequipped and undermanned, but the disturbances the US personnel caused were already legendary.

Finding the party was easy; it was being held in the Officer's Club. Despite the name it was currently open to all members of the unit.

Though the event was touted as a dance, there were only a few women in attendance. Most of those were female US military members, the local women having already learned to be cautious about such gatherings. Molly, appearing rather exotic in comparison, was therefore all the more popular, with men lined up to dance with her. Of course, there were also a few men dancing with other men. When Aaron arrived Molly was dancing with a private, while Sutter looked on, standing on the edge of the dance floor, stone faced. Tallman was at the bar while Cobber and Reynard were dancing with two of the other women present. To the mild distress of the US servicemen, those two civilian men were much more popular with the women than any of them. Though none there could argue that those two - and Molly - weren't better dancers than any of the actual military personnel at the event. Aaron made a mental note to watch for trouble from that resentment.

Aaron had already realized that Sutter was interested in Molly. As well as that she was interested in him. Aaron assumed that her current activity was intended to provoke jealousy in the man. Another potential source of trouble. Though he had difficulty understanding such social maneuvers, Aaron definitely understood the problems they could cause.

What Aaron also realized that those hosting the dance had already noticed there was something strange going on. Something which might jeopardize the mission. These "civilian guests" who had crashed the party were showing superhuman grace as they danced, including Molly.

The piece of music ended, as did the dance. Aaron approached Tallman. Seeing this, the others from the team moved to join them.

"Time to come back to the camp," he told them, in a low voice.

"C'mon," said Sutter, grinning. "We deserve a break!"

"Yeah!" said Cobber. "We just got here!"

If Tallman had been the one to protest ending the outing Aaron would not have been surprised. The fact that Sutter and Cobber were the ones protesting, and that the others all showed agreement, made him rethink the situation.

"I recall that you're a musician," said Reynard, smirking, as Aaron thought. "Surely you can play the piano."

"Of course I can," said Aaron. "However, I don't think..."

"Please?" said Molly, plaintively. "The guy they have is trying hard, but really isn't up to this."

Aaron sighed, and favored her with a tired smile.

"Well, I'm no Alexander Adams or even a Billy Shears, but I'll give it a go; as the English say."

He walked over to the piano, just as the enthusiastic but only moderately skilled pianist finished a labored rendition of "Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit-Bag, and Smile, Smile, Smile".

"May I?"

The man rose unsteadily and with a gracious gesture indicated the piano stool. He left behind several empty beer mugs, taking one half-full mug with him.

"Be my guest," he said, with a thick Bronx accent and a bit of slur to his words.

Aaron smiled and bowed slightly to the man, wound the stool down a bit, then sat and began to play. First was "12th Street Rag," performed both well and fast. He actually heard someone ask ironically how many fingers he had. When Aaron finished, someone joked that the keys were smoking. Then came "Beer Barrel Polka" (well, he had spent decades in Chicago by this point) which prompted a somewhat clumsy sing-along. He then played "Funny Little Oom-Pah-Pah," "Ain't We Got Fun?," "Till the Lights of London Shine Again," "The White Cliffs of Dover," "How Ya Gonna Keep 'em Down on the Farm, After They've Seen Paree?" and "If I Could Be With You, One Hour Tonight." Generally alternating upbeat and melancholy pieces. After several more tunes Aaron closed out with Scott Joplin's "Solace: A Mexican Serenade", the full version. All of these were performed from memory, Aaron with his eyes half closed. The last selection was to allow the party to wind down. Much of what Aaron played was not conducive to dancing, but some people tried, anyway. At least everyone had a good time for the last hour and a bit of the party.

Aaron accompanied those from his team to their "commandeered" car, shepherding them without seeming to. They crowded in, three in the back seat. The why of this became obvious when Tallman pulled the keys out of his pocket.

"Aren't you coming?" asked Molly, the only one besides Tallman sitting in the front.

"I flew here; I'll fly back," said Aaron, satisfied that none of the other partygoers were within earshot or watching them. "I haven't been doing enough of that, lately."

"If you're sure," said Sutter, looking doubtful.

"You dance; I fly," said Aaron, looking into the gathering darkness with a smile, appearing more relaxed than they had seen him before. "Same result."

"Suit yourself," said Tallman, who might have been just a bit drunk.

He climbed into the front of the car. The seat was already fully back. He turned on the ignition, set the choke and trod on the starter button.

"Damn Limey cars are all too small!" he grumped, as the engine caught.

Large he might have been, but he had a delicate touch. At least when it came to machines. The car set off smoothly. Aaron watched the taped-over tail lights head for the road back to their training camp. Then he sighed, turned invisible, and let his wings out.

* * *

Malak arrived back at the training camp well before those in the car. He landed in a concealed location between buildings, pulled his wings in, became visible and walked into the front entrance of the barracks. Noting that the place appeared empty, he went on through to his room. To his surprise, there was already someone there. In the bed.

"Well, it's about time you got back," said a sultry, female voice. She turned on the light beside the bed. She was laying, completely without clothing, on top of the covers.

"Who are you?" said Aaron, puzzled. "How did you get on this part of the base? It's restricted."

"Really? You've got a naked, attractive woman in your bed and that's what you're worried about?"

She gestured at the female clothing draped over the chair near the bed. Then smiled.

"Naked and willing."

Aaron might have been in his fifties, by the calendar, but physically he was in his late twenties. However, besides his experience, he also had superhuman willpower. As well as something else.

"I am happily married with three children," he told her, firmly. "I will not betray them."

"I want you," said the woman, sliding lithely off the bed and standing. "You are... attractive. Very attractive. Especially with your wings out."

"You're The Infiltrator," said Aaron, nodding.

"I'm not surprised you figured that out so quickly," she said, smiling and walking slowly towards him. "Your keenness of intellect is part of what makes you attractive. At least to me."

"You are originally female, though this is not your base form," said Aaron, as she put her hands on his shoulders.

"Stop being so analytical," she purred. She kissed him, long and slow. Then pulled back, looking puzzled. "Nothing?"

"Don't underestimate yourself," he said. "However, I have already told you I am committed to another."

"Phooey," she said, stepping back. "Here I am, all hot and bothered, and you aren't interested."

"From past experience, I believe Irving would be both interested and enthusiastic," said Aaron.

"'Irving'?" she said, confused.

"Irving M. Tallman."

"No, it's you I was set on," she said, with a sigh. "I should have known better when I saw a book by Nietzsche on your night stand. In German. With a bookmark over halfway through."

"Surely you are familiar with the concept of Bildung."

"The German ideal of mental and cultural self improvement," she said, with sigh. "I don't think that's what I'm after, here."

Mood broken, she moved back to the bed, and began donning her clothing.

"You were right," she said, as she pulled on her step-ins. "About me being originally female, and this, well, not being the real me. Which is a bit plainer, though not a lot different. How did you know?"

"I knew The Infiltrator was a shapeshifter before I met you," said Aaron, patently ignoring her physical activity. "That worthy is the stereotypical short, fat, tall, thin, bald man with wavy brown hair. No-one is that good at disguise without powers being involved. Just now, when I heard you speak and saw you move as you came towards me, certain mannerisms gave you away. You probably need to watch that."

She finished dressing, and turned to confront him.

"It doesn't bother you that I'm a woman passing as a man to spy for Britain?"

"These are the hands we are given," said Aaron. "Do you really think I care what you are? What's important is who you are. Inside."

"Well, I need to get back to my locker and out of these clothes before the rest of the team returns, or they might ask awkward questions. So, these hands are leaving and soon to be busy."

* * *

The team's last briefing was on the natural history of the flora and fauna of the island. As well as what to expect from it. Their instructor - Professor Janus Causewelle - was a rather dry teacher, but had a great deal of relevant information. After the class was over, the team as usual broke into smaller groups. This to head back to their barracks, each subgroup at its own pace and by their own paths.

Molly had noticed a shift in the way The Infiltrator and Aaron acted towards each other. She wasn't certain what that meant, or even what had changed. Molly sighed, and decided that was their business. They seemed to have settled whatever it was. Just now, The Infiltrator seemed to be trying to make friends with Tallman.

Aaron was a bit surprised to find The Solution moving to join him as the briefing broke up. The man had never in Aaron's experience been very sociable. However, he seemed to have something on his mind.

"I've been thinking about your angelic form," he said, finally.

"You're not alone in that," said Aaron, noncommittally.

"In that form you are the largest creature to fly under its own power since the last of the pterosaurs," said The Solution. "However, while you can fly fast with your wings, you are not nearly as quick as a plane. Yet you are know to be able to travel much faster than any aircraft."

"Only a few people have ever noticed that," said Aaron, mildly surprised. "Well, only a few have mentioned it. Yes, for high-speed propulsion wings are not nearly as effective as propellors. That's why I learned a faster method of movement, years ago. I can fly and glide and even use thermals in my normal flight - heh, 'normal' he says - but in high speed mode I'm as fast as any empowered speedster. Only, since I'm in the air I can take a direct route."

"Ah..." said The Solution, nodding.

They had by now reached the barracks. The Solution, seeming to have had his curiosity satisfied, went inside. However, Aaron had a meeting with Commander Zero and Mastermind. With a bit of a sigh, he altered course to head for that collaboration.

up
54 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos