The Voyage of the Visund -77-

Printer-friendly version

The Visund departs Zebrin and heads for Bibek in Faralmark. As they navigate the twists of the Sirrel, a stranded barge becomes visible in the distance. When they reach the barge it causes them to rethink what they have been told about river pirates.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

77 - Smoke on the Water


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2023 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"By the Gods! What is that?"

Ursula turned to see what Eriana was staring at. Upstream from them, along the canal, a strange black-painted vessel approached, evidently intending to berth behind the Visund. At first glance she thought it was one of the ubiquitous double-hulled river ferries but then realized that the proportions looked wrong.

"I do not know, Admiral," Ursula replied, conscious of the number of dock-workers and officials waiting to see them off, "but I am assuming that it might be a late surprise from His Grace."

"Aye, you could be right," Eriana agreed, "I believe I can see him standing on the... what would you name that? It is not a bow for I can see two of those below it!"

"I think it might be a forecastle, Admiral, though I am no expert on local vessel designs."

"Forecastle?"

"Yes, a raised portion at the front a ship which, from the name, I believe was used for fighting from."

"Oh, you mean foaksul, aye, that would make sense. Well, we must continue making ready to depart whatever His Grace intends. The course of the river ahead is complicated, so Hashim informs me."

Ursula studied the vessel as it approached the pontoon string. The twin hulls must each have been less than three strides wide, barely enough to contain an oarsman and permit him to row properly. The hulls were tall, though, probably giving sufficient room for that oarsman to stand. The gap between hulls was probably the same width, three strides. Above, a wide deck stretched from side to side with chest-high protective walls on the visible portions. A sturdy mast could be seen positoned in the center with a look-out post perched near the top.

As the vessel neared the pontoons a shout went up. The nearer oars were pulled in, their inboard ends emerging into the gap between the hulls and then into matching openings in the other hull. Shortly, as lines were tossed and caught, the outboard oars were shipped in a similar fashion. A door at the front of the nearer hull opened and two men came out onto the bow to unhook and move a gangway down and out, the outer end being guided onto the pontoon by dock helpers.

Graf Nuel was the first to disembark. Eriana went to greet him with a smile and a thumped chest salute.

"Good morning, Your Grace. I see you have brought us a new invention of your own."

"Good morning, Admiral. Yes, this is the result of something you mentioned when we first met, that you knew that the design of your own ship might not be entirely adequate for river use but that you considered the galleys you had seen to have their own faults. My shipbuilders had like thoughts and came up with this idea. I have to tell you that, while we have proven its abilities on the Sirrel, it has not yet been tested in combat.

"Since we also spoke about the recent piracy, I considered the matter yesterday evening and decided to offer Zebrin's Tusk as an escort for you as far as Bibek. You may refuse if you wish, but it is my thought that to be useful, such a craft as this must needs be available at short notice and such a voyage for it was already planned. You may go aboard with your officers and examine every part of it, discover if there is aught about it that may be useful to your River Patrol. If it travels with you, the captain has instruction to accept your commands as flotilla leader."

Eriana was taken aback. "Your Grace! I did not expect this! If I may express my gratitude for your foresight. Aye, at first glance this vessel resembles the ferries but I can easily see the differences. It is wider, I deem, than a normal galley but much lower and that would make it more stable. What crew does it carry?"

"There are twelve oars each side, one man to each oar," Nuel replied, "but all the crew may row at need, just as all may fight at need. Above there is a Galley-Captain, a Hullmaster for each file of oarsmen, a sailing Master and a small ship's crew of six, of what I believe you would term sailors. In addition there are thirty ship-soldiers, or in your terms marines, who remain on the upper deck."

Eriana frowned as she did the math. "So, sixty-four, then. Already you offer more than I presently have."

Nuel spread his hands. "This is just an experimental voyage, Admiral, just as your own is. If there are too many or too few then we will know once they return."

She pointed. "I see a mast. Does the ship carry a sail?"

"It may be possible, Admiral, but presently does not. The mast is there chiefly to provide a place for the look-out to stand." He paused then added, "I am no shipwright, as you may imagine, but I am told there is some flaw which prevents galleys from bearing masts and sails, I know not what. Since this craft is not a regular galley design a sail may indeed be possible. Any experiments will of course be carried out with great caution."

Her keen eye raked the vessel from end to end. "I see advantages, aye, and possible disadvantages, but all vessels that venture on the waters must needs make compromises in their design. Does the captain have such knowledge of his own ship that I may question him later? I am loath to delay my own departure too long."

"It is as you say, Admiral. If you will consent to have the Tusk as an escort - Ah, here he is! Admiral, if I may present Galley-Captain Anthar of Zebrin's Tusk. Anthar, this is Admiral Eriana."

Anthar braced to attention and smoothly brought his right hand to his forehead, palm out.

"Admiral."

"And with him," Nuel gestured to the two men following, "are Flotilla-Captain Merion, who commands the Northern Division of our galley fleet, and Signar Zoran, a member of my diplomatic staff and my cousin. These, by your leave, will travel on the Tusk as passengers, and would be available to answer any matters of organization or law that you might have."

"Flotilla-Captain, Signar," Eriana responded, giving both men a nod.

Nuel asked Eriana, "About that escort, Admiral."

"Your Grace," she replied, "I am sufficiently intrigued that I will accept your offer. If I may ask, is the galley provisioned for a voyage to Bibek?"

"Of course, Admiral, or I would not have made the offer. All was done in haste once I made the decision but you may ask Anthar if he is ready."

Anthar responded, "Admiral, we are. Some of my crew were there when you visited His Grace's barracks and saw what your people can do. I regret that we cannot do the same but we are ready to assist should it become necessary. As for stores, we may voyage to Bibek and back on what we have available."

"And Anthar may draw on accounts in Bibek should it be required," Nuel added.

"You have thought of everything, Your Grace," Eriana replied. "By your leave, we must continue our preparations to depart. Captain, it will take us no more than a bell to complete our loading and arranging, if there is anything of yours that must still be done."

Anthar bowed. "Admiral, I thank you for the advice. When you are ready, we shall follow."

The captain of Zebrin's Tusk saluted again and reboarded his vessel. Eriana turned, to go back toward the Visund, to find Nuel, Merion and Zoran following her.

"Your Grace? Is there something else?"

Nuel smiled. "I am not the only person who has an unusual craft here, Admiral. As I am here, I would see what manner of ship yours is... Maker, I did not realize it was so large!"

"Thirty strides, Your Grace, so I was told."

"But... there is nothing, only a hull!"

She shrugged. "That is all that is necessary to sail the wide ocean, Your Grace. Alas, the Visund was built in a remote land where timber grows slowly and wood of the quality required to build a ship is hard to find."

Nuel's eyes popped. "You sail the ocean in that? Maker! It shows how much we of the Sirrel have to learn."

"We are used to sailing in such craft, Your Grace, and are accustomed to riding the waves in so open a fashion, but I would not call the matter comfortable. Indeed, we have spent much of the morning so far baling out the water that accumulated from yesterday's storms. We must often needs do the same at sea."

Nuel studied the longship. "Aye, I understand, Admiral. It is so wide... shaped like a leaf, I deem. How many men would something that size take?"

"When we left my homeland we had fifty-six aboard, Your Grace, some of whom were women and children. Though for a raid we might carry seventy or more warriors for a short voyage of no more than a day."

"As you say. Do you find a difference sailing the Sirrel as opposed to the open ocean?"

"Aye, since the ocean is salt and the river is not. To our surprise the Visund floats lower in the river. The difference is not so great that we have not adapted but we must always bear it in mind. For example, in the Sirrel I would not dare think of taking seventy warriors."

Tor climbed out of the Visund and approached the pair.

"If I may introduce Tor son of Magnus - Tor Magnusson - who is the Captain of my ship the Visund, Your Grace."

Tor nodded. "Your Grace, I saw you at the demonstration."

"Pleased to meet you, Captain, even though you depart my lands shortly."

"Yah, Your Grace. Have been busy."

Eriana asked, "What is the state of departure, Tor?"

"Uh... Admiral, rain water is removed, can load crew's bags now, then Adin's food."

"Very good, Tor. Carry on."

Tor climbed back onto the longship as Eriana frowned.

"I might have a problem, Your Grace, if your galley comes with us."

"Oh?"

"Doubtless our code of signals is different, we have found it so in other lands. I will need someone aboard who can relay our own signals to your crew."

Nuel nodded. "Aye, of course, I had expected that you might put someone aboard. What do you propose?"

Eriana frowned again, concentrating, before saying, "Your Grace, if you would give me leave to consult among my crew."

Nuel made a generous gesture with his arms. "Admiral, these are your vessels and crew, I shall not interfere."

She nodded to him. "Thank you, Your Grace."

Eriana stalked off further along the pontoon string until she reached the Green Ptuvil. A number of the women, including Ursula and Tyra, were on the pontoon watching some of the men pass chests and bags to those aboard.

"Ursula! If I may ask a favor of you. I have a problem."

Ursula turned her attention to the Princess. "Highness?"

Eriana smiled. "I wear my Admiral's hat this time. His Grace permits someone to travel aboard his galley -"

"That thing? Is it coming with us?"

"As far as Bibek, aye. It will be a way for each to explore the other's customs and methods. The problem is that they do not know our whistle codes."

Ursula nodded. "You want me to go with them?"

"Originally that is what I thought, but then I realized that I wanted, by your leave, Tyra to be lookout aboard the Visund as she did before."

"I have no problem with that, Admiral. I can take Semma or Bennet instead."

"As you say, but then I realized that none of you three are water-wise in the way that myself or my men are. Intending no disrespect, you might all overlook things about such a vessel that may be important. Indeed, I would prefer to inspect that strange vessel myself as we travel, for at least part of the way. So, I would desire that you take command of the Visund as you did before. The men trust you, I trust you, you have done this before, would you do it?"

It did not take long for Ursula to reach a decision. "I will do it, Admiral. Does this mean we will have to move our chests?"

Eriana shrugged. "I do not think so, Ursula. The journey is not so long and we will no doubt be together should we have to stop for lunch, naps or overnighting."

"True. What about," Ursula pointed, "the Green Ptuvil?"

"Hmm." Eriana's eyes narrowed as she considered. "Our most vulnerable people are aboard the barge, it is true. I would prefer to have some kind of defense there should it become necessary." She turned. "Baros? A word, if you please."

Baros climbed off the barge and approached. "Admiral?"

She pointed. "That strange vessel is a kind of galley those of Zebrin have devised," she explained. "His Grace asks us that it should accompany us to Bibek, but no-one aboard knows our signals. Thus, I have decided that I will travel on it, giving me the opportunity to examine it closely, while Ursula takes charge of the Visund. I am content to leave the Ptuvil to you, as before, but I desire to place some more men aboard should the worst happen and you are threatened."

He nodded. "I understand, Admiral. It would be as it was when that pirate galley attacked, I deem."

"As you say. I am concerned, mainly, about the women."

"Nethra, Banest and Larys are more comfortable with your own men aboard now, Admiral, I do not believe they will object to a few more... but do not leave the Visund short on our account."

"Agreed."

"The two Yodan girls are more reserved, as you know, but even they now know all your men and trust them. Indeed, it was your men who rescued us all from the renegades. If necessary one or more of the other women will stay below with them for reassurance."

"Done, Baros. I will leave you to your own tasks, then. Whistle when you are ready to depart."

"As you command, Admiral."

* * *


Map courtesy of Julia Phillips

The river Pak, which flowed between Pakmal Town and Zebrin City, ended at the outside edge of a tight bend in the Sirrel. This meant that all arriving traffic had to approach from the upstream side, because of the strong current, and all departing traffic had to turn downstream. Once out onto the wider waters and beyond the bend the three craft could find space to row or sail across to reach the slower - and shallower - waters that would permit them to travel upstream.

Since nobody knew if Zebrin's Tusk could travel as fast as the Visund or the Green Ptuvil, the Tusk was leading as they crossed to the northern side of the Sirrel. Eriana stood at the front of the double-hulled galley with Anthar, both watching the proceedings. Semma stood at the near corner, keeping a watchful eye on their other vessels. The other two Zebrin passengers, for the moment, kept out of the way.

"With three vessels so different," he remarked, "this voyage could become complicated, Admiral."

"More so than you might think, Captain," she replied. "Both my ship and the barge may travel under sail, thus relieving our men of duty pulling the oars. Your own men must needs pull all the time which should surely tire them on a long voyage."

"As you say, Admiral. We have not yet tested this design on any long voyage, but all the crew are experienced galley men, used to the demands of such travel. Thus, to travel to Bibek should not overstretch them, provided we take the usual breaks." His eyebrows raised. "I did not think such barges as yours carried oars."

She shrugged. "They carry two pairs only. For a dead calm, perhaps, or when maneuvering in port, I expect. Otherwise it will be that great big sail. I am impressed that so few men can handle it."

"All barges have sails like that, Admiral, so there must be some value in the design. I have never seen any sail like that on your own ship before," he added. "Is it common where you come from?"

"To a point, Captain. Many of the larger vessels of Einnland carry such sails, smaller craft favor a fore-and-aft sail, often triangular, but set behind the mast, not astride it as that of the barge. Are you knowledgable in ship design, Captain? I would know more about your own. I can already see things that may be of interest to us and, of course, I have no problem should you see anything of ours you would desire."

He nodded. "I am of Zebrin City, my father is a captain of one of the river ferries, I am familiar with the design. Indeed, that knowledge is one reason I was chosen to captain this vessel. If you desire the more arcane knowledge of the ship-builder, then I regret I may not be able to satisfy all your questions."

"I am no builder of ships, Captain, merely the owner of the Visund and, until recently, captain of her. My ship handling skills are those of the open sea, rough coasts and beaches. Since coming to the Sirrel I have had to learn much that is new. This ship design is novel to me as it must be to most, being new. What, for example, are those?"

She pointed to a row of raised sections which ran from near the front of the forecastle to the base of a raised platform which covered most of the stern decking. The sections were hidden under tightly sheeted tarpaulins upon which many of the 'ship-soldiers' were resting, some sitting, others apparently sunbathing.

"We tried to make this vessel as narrow and as light as possible, Admiral, but realized that left us little room for essential supplies. The sides of those boxes are the continuation of the inner sides of the two hulls and the space between them are essentially holds, such as you would find on any barge. We keep our food, spare equipment and weapons in them, that is all."

"Ah." She nodded. "That explains it. And that structure at the back? I assume that is so your steersman can see where he is going."

"As you say, Admiral, but under it is a small cabin for our charts on one side, my own cabin in the middle and a galley - uh, a cooking area - on the other, that we may take refreshment and light meals while away from land."

"An interesting idea. We, of course, must needs find some kind of land whenever we require a hot meal. What about sleeping? Can you do so on board?"

"Aye, Admiral, the oarsmen below have hammocks to sling where they sleep, those above use the deck. We do keep awnings for use when the weather is unhelpful but so far they have not been tested."

"What are hammocks?"

"Ah, Admiral, since we are under way I cannot show you but later, perhaps. A means of sleeping but not on the deck. It would be very difficult to find deck space where those below must pull their oars."

She nodded. "I will be interested to see below, Captain, at your convenience."

Anthar suddenly pointed. "Look, Admiral. Something has caught the attention of your people."

On the Visund Ursula and Tor looked up at Tyra's whistle. She shouted something down and then pointed. Tor immediately put his telescope to his eye and searched in that direction.

"Something... a stranded barge, perhaps, Mistress."

He handed her the telescope and she put it to her own eye. "It is a barge, certainly, but it does not look right. One end is higher than the other and there is no sail." She lowered the brass tube. "Tor, can we pull alongside the Tusk for instructions?"

"Yah, Mistress, it just needs a faster rhythm for a short while."

He called to Lars, who was beating the drum in front of the stern deck, and the beat increased just a little. He then shouted to the men what he wanted and the Visund crept forward, steering to keep a safe distance between the oars of both craft.

Ursula cupped her hands and called up to Eriana, who was hanging over the side of the Tusk.

"A stranded barge! Can we go and look?"

A few words passed between Eriana and the captain of the Tusk and she turned back towards Ursula.

"Yes! Show a white flag if you need our help."

Tor looked at Ursula. "Better under sail, Mistress?"

The yard was already raised, since Tyra was standing on it, but the sail was still furled.

"Yes, please, Tor, that will save time." She turned and called up to Tyra. "Keep your grip! We're dropping the sail!"

Tyra kept a tight grip on a stay as the yard shook beneath her feet. The sail fell with a thump and was sheeted home, but then the yard began to move round to catch the wind. As the direction of travel changed, the yard slowly moved back until it was nearly square. Ursula called up to her.

"What can you see?"

"No sail, no yard, I think it is half sunk, Mistress."

"Tor says keep a lookout for shoals."

"Will do."

The men had by now pulled in their oars and were busy preparing themselves for whatever they would find. As the ship approached it was apparent that the vessel was in dire need of help.

Tor squinted at the vessel. «What is that? It looks like they have had a fire.»

«I think you are right. Maybe a lightning strike during those storms? That would explain why there is no sail or yard.»

«Would someone have found the wreck yesterday?»

Ursula shrugged. «I do not know how often patrols cover the river or how often they report. If this was noticed by barges heading upstream news might not have reached Zebrin yet.»

«Yah. It is off the course most upstream traffic would take, I think. Would anyone have risked a grounding to go and investigate? I do not think so.»

«We can do it because we have a shallower draft,» she agreed. «If anyone else saw someone waving, though, they might have raised the alarm at their next port. I wonder if that Zebrin thing can come this far?»

«We will soon find out, Mistress. Excuse, Tyra asks a change of course.»

With Tyra directing from atop the yard, the Visund soon found a safe way to reach the stranded vessel. As they approached it became clear that a complete disaster had happened. The stern was under water while the bow had grounded and was riding high. The customary rear cabin had been burned almost to the water line. The mast was bare and scorched, no sign of yard or rigging at all except for a few fragments at the masthead.

Soon they were alongside and two men leaped across with ropes, pulling the two vessels together. One looked down into the main hold.

«Captain! Body in the hold.»

Tor joined his men and looked into the hold, which had no covering. He turned to Ursula.

«Mistress, come across, please. This was not caused by lightning.»

Strong hands helped her onto the sloping deck of the barge. She had already spotted a dead man wedged into the bow in a sitting position. She looked into the main hold to see a man's body, floating face down, with a crossbow bolt in his back. Surrounding him in the water which part filled the hold was a torn sack and its spilled contents of grain, now all swollen from being soaked.

Tor pointed at the bow. «Is he dead, Mistress?»

«I would think so, Tor. If anyone survived it would have been him.»

She moved forward and bent down. The rain had washed the blood away but she could still see the hole in his tunic where the crossbow bolt had gone in. She knew it had been a bolt because that was still firmly gripped in the man's right hand. He had used the tip to scratch something in the decking before he had died.

She turned to Tor and shook her head. «No, Tor. Probably died yesterday or possibly even the day before. He has a crossbow wound in the chest.»

«Like this one. Ormund, check the cabin. Most is under water, there may be remains.»

Still holding the rope, Ormund moved aft and glanced down into the ruined cabin.

«Yah, Captain. Three bodies, can't see how they died. Lot of mess floating in the water.»

Ursula rejoined Tor near the main hold. «What do you think?»

He grinned. «Mistress, I was about to ask you that. Hold is empty. Why did they attack?»

«The hold was not empty, Tor. That sack of grain tells me they were loaded. That one got broken, the rest were taken.»

The grin vanished. «Didn't think of that, Mistress. Put up the white flag?»

«Definitely, Tor. Two dead with crossbow bolts means enemy action, not a bargeman gone crazy.»

Tor called instructions across and very shortly a white square of canvas was on its way to the masthead. Ursula gestured for Tyra to come down, there was no point anyone keeping a lookout while they were moored.

Tor turned back to Ursula. «What do you want to do while we wait, Mistress? Should we try and get the bodies out?»

«Not just yet, Tor. Leave everything until the Admiral and the Zebrins can take a look.» She frowned. «While we wait, that man in the bow scratched a message on the deck as he was dying. I want to take a closer look, see if I can understand it.»

The angle wasn't that steep but the positioning was awkward, inside the bow which was canted up. The man had pulled the bolt from his own body, she thought, and used the iron tip to scratch something as he lay, which meant that it was upside down to her. She used a finger to trace the marks but found the script difficult.

BARGE

That confused her. What did it mean? Tor squatted down on the other side and examined the body.

«How long do you think this barge has been here, Tor? Can you tell from the body?»

He put a gentle hand on the man's left arm. «A day, Mistress, maybe two. The body is not stiff, but since we had all that rain -»

«That's it!» Ideas swam around inside her head. «At least I believe so. Now we have to wait for the Admiral.»

«Yah

«Tor, if we pulled this barge off the shoal do you think it would float? We'd have to bail out some water but I think the hull looks reasonably sound. The stern is only under water because the bow is up in the air and I don't think the fire had time to get into the hull.»

Tor stood and looked around. «We need to check the stern, Mistress, but I think you are right. The water in the holds is clear so it can only be rainwater from the storms. The level inside is lower than that of the river. We would have to bail out the cabin, though. Why? What use is a wreck like this to us?»

«To carry the bodies in to begin with. These people deserve a proper funeral. Evidence. Most of the cabin survives below the water level, we may get some clue who they are and where they are from.»

He nodded. «Agreed, Mistress. Come with me as far as the stern?»

«I might as well. I'm getting cramp squatting down here.»

She followed Tor to the stern to inspect the damage. It was not long before a call from the Visund made them both look in that direction. They saw that Zebrin's Tusk was now within bowshot. The galley drifted closer, finally getting near enough that a sailor with a boathook could catch the side of the Visund and bring the two together. Eriana jumped across, followed by Athran and Flotilla-Captain Merion. The three traversed the jumble in the center of the longship, the Zebrins very cautiously, and joined Tor and Ursula on the barge.

"Tor?"

«Ursula had better report, Admiral. The Zebrins will want to understand. Her words are better than mine. She has better ideas too.»

"As you wish, Tor." Eriana turned to the Zebrins and explained, "My men and I were brought up speaking a different tongue. As a daughter of the King I was made to learn the valley tongue - and hated every moment of it, since I saw no use for it in Einnland. My men learn slowly and can understand much of what you say, but finding the words to speak is sometimes harder."

Merion nodded. "As you say, Admiral, but who will then speak?"

Eriana gestured. "Ursula. She is not from Einnland but from somewhere else entirely. She has a special talent for languages."

Merion switched to her. "I thought you a healer, Mistress."

"I have a number of different talents, Flotilla-Captain."

"If you would name me Captain, by your leave. If you could explain what happened here. It seems to me a simple accident caused by a lightning strike from those storms."

"I wish it were so, Captain. There is a body in the main hold with a crossbow bolt in his back. The body at the bow had one in his chest, which he pulled out before he died. This is no storm damage but the result of a pirate attack."

"Do you tell me? Did you find any more crew?"

"Three bodies in what is left of the cabin. I cannot yet tell you how they died. There may have been more who went over the side."

Merion pursed his lips. "This is strange to me. Normally pirates take prisoners to row their galleys. Why would they kill them and leave the barge to float away?"

"They did not want the barge or the men, Captain. What they wanted was the cargo. If you look in the main hold there is a sack of grain that must have split open as they transferred them. I have a good idea what happened."

"Grain, you say?" Merion looked puzzled. "What would pirates do with a barge full of grain?"

"Captain," she replied patiently, "we are now barely a month before the Rains are due. Everybody is gathering in the harvest and making sure they have enough to last until it stops raining. What do you think the pirates are going to eat in that time? I am told the river is so dangerous then that no-one ventures on it at all."

Merion opened his mouth and closed it. The way that pirates organized their lives had never crossed his mind. Pirates were pirates, you caught their galleys and defeated them, everything else was unimportant.

His manner had changed when he next spoke to Ursula. "If you would explain, Mistress."

"I believe this happened, not yesterday but the day before, just before we had those storms. I am assuming that, if this barge was full of grain, that they were heading downstream, is that right?"

"It is so, Mistress. Most of our grain comes from further upstream, even when it is from Zebrin."

"Then they may have had a distress call - or something similar - from another barge. Perhaps someone said they needed a length of rope, canvas for a repair, some herbs for a wound, whatever. Once the two barges had come alongside, the holds of the other one would have opened and a mass of pirates rushed out and onto this one. The first thing they did was to kill all the crew, then they would have begun moving all the grain from here onto their own barge."

Athran asked, "Mistress, why not just take the whole barge with them?"

She shook her head. "I do not have sufficient information to answer that yet, Captain. So, once the cargo was looted, they threw some oil in the cabin, maybe tossed a bucket of oil on the sail, set fire to both and sailed away, leaving this one to burn down to the waterline and then sink. Only that didn't happen."

Merion nodded. "I understand, Mistress. The thunderstorms. Even if someone saw the barge aflame, they would think it a victim of the storm."

"Until they found the bodies, yes. And once the barge had sank, the bodies could have ended up anywhere, downstream or eaten by what lives in the river. But one of the crew was not yet dead. He managed to crawl into the bow," she pointed, "and scrawled a word on the deck with the bolt he pulled from his own body. That word is BARGE, you can go and see it for yourself. The fact that he did that suggests to me that he considered it important enough to perhaps shorten his own life by using the only object with a metal tip that was within his reach. It suggested to me that the deed was not carried out by a galley, as you first thought, but a barge sailing under false pretenses.

"Then the barge drifted downstream until it ended up on this shoal. I do not know how long that man survived but probably not more than a few... bells."

Merion nodded. "I believe that it is as you say, Mistress. This late in the season a normal galley would have been restricted to the main channels of the river, which would have limited its ability to prey on passing traffic. Of course, if they had used a galley they would simply have put a prize crew aboard or, at worst, taken the barge in tow." He frowned. "There are still matters that puzzle me, though."

"Me too, Captain."

Eriana asked, "Ursula? You have some thoughts on what we should do next."

"Admiral, with respect to this barge, I do. Tor and I have looked it over and think it can be refloated. Once it is off this shoal the cabin at least would have to be bailed out but the hull looks undamaged and the water in the holds is only from the storms. There may be clues in the cabin as to the origins of the barge and so on, and it would be the most convenient way to carry the bodies with us for a decent funeral."

"Clues in the cabin?" asked Merion.

"Have a look for yourself, Captain. There is a lot of loose stuff floating around and the drawers and cupboards look untouched. The pirates were not after gold or valuables, they wanted the grain."

Eriana mused, "We would have to tow the barge, of course. Where is the nearest port we could take it, Captain?"

Merion frowned. "As you may know, most of the banks on this stretch of the river are covered by a dense mat of trees with stalks that reach down into the water and tangle one with another. There are few ports or even fishing villages I can think of. More on the Faralmark side, perhaps. Because of the growth and the movement of the river, our records are not as accurate as any who travel by water would desire."

Eriana turned and called over, "Hashim! We are looking for somewhere to take this barge. There are five bodies that should have decent funerals and we must needs examine the barge somewhere safer than here."

He called back, "Admiral, I will have a look at our charts."

While they waited Athran said, "Admiral, I think it will be easy to pull this off with the Tusk. Do you not feel the slight movement? It is only caught by the bow, I deem, not solidly grounded."

Eriana's feet were bare and, after a moment, she nodded. "Aye, you are right, Captain. Captain Merion, by your leave? You and your people should be familiar with such salvage methods, I will defer to your crew."

"Thank you, Admiral. Aye, it will be good exercise for the men."

Athran said, "Sir, we have a lever pump in the hold we could use to remove the water from the cabin."

"A good suggestion, Athran. First we must pull the barge off this shoal and ensure that it does not sink before our eyes. Then we may put some of your men aboard with the pump, bring it to a level and safe to tow."

"Aye, Sir. It shall be done."

Hashim called out, "Admiral, there are some small fishing villages. On the Faralmark side we have Tuvalek and Farso, both on the downstream side. On the upstream side from here, there is Hamalbek, Jenbek and Analis. On the Zebrin side, going upstream, we have Paktrin, Nobalo, Vormerin and Zoon - but Zoon is almost opposite Bibek. Most are in creeks away from the Sirrel. Does that remind you of anything?"

Eriana's eyes skipped along the thick vegetation which grew on both banks. "Aye, it does. Think you one of those is where our pirates may lair?"

He shrugged. "Admiral, it seems to me that such banks as these could hide several armies anywhere and no-one would ever find them. I merely recall what Bakhrad was said to be like before we arrived."

"Indeed. Hashim, thank you."

Merion asked, "What is this?"

"Oh, you were not there when we retold what happened to us when we traveled through Yod. A quiet backwater village, we thought, but it was held by a band of renegade Yodan soldiers. They had already captured three barges before we arrived, our Green Ptuvil was one of them."

"I assume you prevailed?"

"You assume correctly, Captain. When we have leisure I will tell the story again, you will understand what manner of people we are."

"As you say. But first, by your leave, we must secure this barge and make it safe enough to be towed."

"That means we should move my ship out of your way."

"As you say, Admiral. If I may suggest, perhaps you could continue upriver and rejoin your barge. When we parted it was heading for a small islet known to Captain Baros, to await the arrival of our vessels."

"Ah? Then we will do the same. Tor! Make ready for all to return on board and move out of the way of the galley."

«Yah, Admiral.»

Merion asked, "Admiral, do you go with your men or remain with us?"

Eriana thought briefly before replying, "I will remain with you, I deem. My presence here, after all, was to observe your ship, its crew and its methods."

"We will be glad to have you with us, Admiral. Already I believe we have both benefited by your presence aboard."

* * *

Upriver from the confluence with the River Pak the Sirrel trended north of west; Ursula had looked over Hashim's charts before they had reached the Sirrel. In a straight line they would have reached Bibek in that direction but of course the river never flowed in a straight line for long. The first few wrinkles were minor, but the Visund was soon out of sight of both the Zebrin's Tusk and the Green Ptuvil.

Everybody else does it but I am nervous about being alone on the river, especially after that pirate attack.

Still, if they decide to attack us won't they get a surprise!

The wind was favorable and the ship moved along at a gratifying rate, Tor carefully keeping them out of the main current. She knew that they might have to cross shortly, since the Sirrel made a kink to the south-west before a long curve returned it to the original line.

They used the sail alone to cross to the southern side just before the next reach and turned the corner. There, plainly visible in the morning sun, was a barge with its sail down, apparently anchored or moored near the center of the river.

Hashim had the telescope to his eye.

"Can you tell who it is yet, Hashim?"

"Not yet, Mistress. Too much reflection from the water. It is end-on as well which means I cannot make out the modified holds at all."

...And this is one occasion where I should have had those sunglasses on!

"It isn't a problem. We are still, what, a mark and a half away?"

"Around that, Mistress. Ah! Someone has run up a flag." He muttered something impolite. "I cannot see that properly either."

"It does mean that they have seen us, and, unlike them we are very identifiable." She turned. «Tor! That looks like our barge. Steer for it.»

«Yah, Mistress.»

They had barely covered half the distance before there was an urgent whistling from the masthead.

Hashim looked up and then turned to Ursula. "Mistress, she whistles 'Enemy in sight'."

Ursula looked up and saw Tyra's arm outstretched at an angle to the moored barge. Without a word Hashim handed her the telescope.

"Two barges! Alongside each other. Maybe a mark, two marks beyond. That could be another attack or just someone in trouble." She handed back the telescope. "What do you think?"

Hashim took a while to examine the scene. "It is difficult to make out, Mistress, but it does not look right."

"Then we'll go and look. We might scare them off, or if it is something innocent, maybe we can offer help."

"On our own, Mistress?"

"If we do not go now, we could have nothing but bodies to find."

She turned to the stern deck. «Tor! Two barges, maybe another attack. Head where Tyra points as fast as possible, please.»

«Yah, I see them. What about friends on the other barge?»

«As before, we need to provide a distraction if that is really pirates.»

«Yah, Mistress. I understand.»

He began calling out orders. The men exploded into activity finding their weapons, while the sailors moved the yard around to make best use of the wind. As the canvas tightened she could feel the increase in speed. As the Visund shot past the Green Ptuvil Ursula managed a short whistle sequence which would hopefully alert them to any possible danger.

The Visund bucked across the main current to reach the downstream side and it was apparent that they had been seen. The activity aboard the two barges increased and then there was a sudden flare as one of the big lateen sails caught fire. Everybody on board groaned. But that was apparently a parting gesture as the other barge cast off, set its own sail and disappeared upstream, hugging the Faralmark bank.

"They leave us little choice," Ursula said in a tone of defeat. "We cannot leave possibly wounded men behind us."

"Agreed, Mistress."

Ursula called up, "Tyra, keep those pirates in sight as long as you can, please. We have to help their victims."

Tyra whistled an 'OK' and turned her attention upstream.

«Tor, head for the burning barge. We have people to rescue.»

It seemed that only the sail had been fired, possibly just to delay the bargemen - should any remain alive - calling for help, and to interfere with rescue efforts. It was fortunate that the action had been seen in time.

The barge was, of course, drifting downstream with the current. This meant that Tor had to make a difficult turn midstream in order to catch up to it, while not losing the wind which made the Visund navigable. She was surprised at how easily he managed the task. It seemed that they knew how to catch other ships at sea and she decided not to ask for details.

Eventually the two were riding side by side and they could see two men talking and looking at the Visund, which of course bristled with heavily armed men, plainly visible from their higher viewpoint. However, a whistle made them look up at the masthead where Tyra waved at them. This must have convinced them that the Norse intentions were peaceful and a line was thrown across, bringing the two craft hull-to-hull.

"What are you people? Are pirates fighting each other now for the spoils?"

"We are fighting the pirates, yes," Ursula called up, "but we are not pirates, we are the River Patrol. Do you need help? I am a healer."

"Oh, we need help all right," the taller of the two men called down, "but you are too late to save two of my men. Do you need a ladder?"

"Please." Ursula turned and called up. "Tyra, remain there and keep looking at that barge, please. Karan can be my assistant here."

"As you command, Mistress."

Much to the consternation of the two men, Lars and Ragnar climbed up the rope ladder first. They made a quick survey of the barge before calling down.

"Is safe, Mistress. Three bodies here, two wounded in cabin and these two are both injured. Come up."

She hauled herself up the rope ladder and leaned over to have her basket handed to her by Karan, who then followed. She turned to the two men, who she could now see both had wounds.

"I am Ursula," she introduced herself. "I have a fancy title but for now just call me Mistress. This is my assistant Karan."

"Thank you for rescuing us, Mistress. I apologize for my earlier comment, I can now see that you all wear a uniform - even that crazy girl standing on the yard!"

"It is a long story," she responded. "You might hear it all later." She looked at the mess on the deck. "I thought you said you had two dead."

"That bastard is one of the pirates," the man pointed. "He didn't know we had crossbows of our own aboard. Still, we'd have all been dead if you hadn't arrived when you did."

"What's that blood on your tunic? A crossbow wound?"

"Aye, Mistress. I think it bounced off my ribs, don't think it hit anything important."

"I'll have a look, please. What about you?" She asked the other man.

"Sword cut," he said, showing a bloody sleeve. "You don't think but it's natural to put up your arm to defend yourself."

She winced. "You'd better both come along to the cabin."

"But we are adrift, we will be grounded!"

"Of course. Excuse me a moment."

She went to the side and called over to Tor. «They are worried they could run aground, and so am I if we are left to drift together. Can you move up and take the barge in tow? I would like to move us over to join the Green Ptuvil

«Can only try, Mistress. You fix wounded?»

She smiled. «Can only try, Tor.»

"What tongue is that? Never heard that before." The taller of the two men had joined her.

"These men come from a land a long way away," she explained. "They understand the valley tongue but it is quicker for me to tell them what I want in their own tongue. Oh, Karan, take my basket and make a start in the cabin, please." To the man she added, "I think we can take you in tow. See that barge moored up over there? That has more of our people aboard, it will make sense for us if we are not scattered all over the river."

"If we're back there, who's looking after the boat?"

"Will you let our men manage that? You'll be under tow so there won't be much for you to do anyway, not without a sail."

"No, and nobody carries that much canvas as a spare," the first man said morosely.

"We've had some trouble like that ourselves," she told them. "This isn't our first brush with pirates."

"I'm beginning to realize that. If you would follow me, Mistress."

She called across to Tor, who was issuing orders to his men. «Tor, send some men over to help with the towing. It looks like every crew man who survived is injured and needs treatment.»

«Will do, Mistress.» He turned back and continued giving orders.

Ursula followed the men to the stern where she found the deck spattered with blood, indicating where the fighting had been heaviest. Karan looked up as she ducked into the cabin.

"Mistress, this man has a sword cut to his leg. I have not attempted to do anything more than stop the bleeding. The other man -" he gestured, "- has a cut on his left arm, but the wound on his belly looks more serious. I have bandaged both for now to stop the bleeding."

"Good work, Karan. This man," she indicated the taller man from outside, "has a crossbow wound which, he says, bounced off his ribs. The other has a cut on his upper arm. Let me see to your belly wound first, that is the most serious, you check his chest wound."

"Of course, Mistress."

The tall man eyed her curiously as he found a place on the bench seating. "You give everyone orders, Mistress. Are you in charge of that strange boat?"

"I suppose I am, for now," she replied. "The owner is elsewhere, helping another barge we found just... a bell or so ago, stranded on a shoal with five dead crew aboard. That one had been stripped of its cargo. You are lucky we arrived before they could do the same to you."

He gave a rueful chuckle. "Mistress, they would have found scant booty here. At the bottom of the hold we have fine masonry stone, above that there is expensive hardwood, all intended for a mansion for some noble in Pakmal. Oh, we do have some few sacks of spices and dried fruit in the forward hold, enough to put coin in our pockets for a few beers."

Ursula felt a chill. "Some noble? Do you have a name?"

He eyed her with interest as she lifted the other man's tunic and began cleaning the wound. "Count Ersalar, it says on the documents. Why? Do you know him?"

"No, before we left Zebrin we had an... interaction... with a Count Korboro, that is all. I wondered if your cargo was destined for him."

He turned his head and spat on the deck. "Korboro! I would charge extra to do anything for him, even to throw him a rope if he was drowning in the Sirrel."

She looked critically at the wound. It was a typical sword thrust and she had no idea how far it had gone in.

"I'm sorry," she told the man. "I'll need more space and better light to do much more than patch you up. How do you feel?"

"It doesn't hurt, it that's what you are asking," the man replied. "But I know what a sword wound in the gut means, Mistress. We're all retired soldiers, we've all seen some action over the years."

"I hope it doesn't come to that," she tried to reassure him, "I am more than just a healer, I am a surgeon and handled battlefield wounds just a week ago in Faralan. This cabin isn't the right place to do that."

"Do you tell me?" The man leaned back and closed his eyes. "If you would do your best, Mistress. I have no desire to die just yet."

"I always do my best. What is your name?"

"Jard, Mistress, from Nokan in Benmond. We're all from Benmond."

She looked at the tall man, upon whom Karan was just tying off a chest bandage.

"Okanar, Mistress," he offered. "Master of this barge, Nokan's Pride." He pointed to the other man who had been outside. "Darro, Second Mate. First Mate is dead, he was named Twirn. That one is Selt, the other one dead on the deck was named Briss."

"Thank you. You should know that you cannot ask anything from Count Korboro, he is also dead. I should not tell you how I know."

Okanar was surprised. "Dead! There will be much rejoicing, I deem."

"And trouble. Now, let us finish cleaning you up."

When Ursula emerged from the cabin she discovered that the long yard had been gingerly lowered to the deck by the Norse, fearful that the partially burned rigging would fail while they did it. Both vessels now pointed upstream though she had not felt the movement. The Visund had not been designed for towing but four separate lines led forward from the bow of Nokan's Pride to be secured on the benches of the longship. A man stood ready with an ax to cut the lines if anything went wrong.

Brodgar, who was on the Pride supervising the tow from that end, explained it to Ursula.

«Mistress, the Visund has to be upstream from this boat to keep the lines taut. If it loses the wind, we could ram it from behind so we must be ready to avoid if that happens. We have to go across the current to get to the other barge and control of both craft at the same time will be awkward.» He grinned at her. «We have done this before, towing a much smaller boat but not anything this big or heavy. First time for everything, yah

«Yah, Brodgar. On this voyage we have already had a lot of first times.»

«I have learned a lot that is new, Mistress. How are the crew?»

«Nobody is about to die yet, Brodgar, but there are two serious wounds and some of the other cuts will reduce strength and movement in their arms. They are all retired soldiers, they had weapons to defend themselves and they know what might happen when wounded.»

«Yah, we are the same. Good.» He pointed. «Look, Mistress, funny galley comes with the other barge.»

«Let us go and join them, then.»

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Super job (as always)

And I have updated the indices.

Oh! Wait. One more to go, I forgot about! Doing that now.

Pirates are a Water Curse

BarbieLee's picture

It seems water breeds pirates. Probably because water makes it easy to ambush unsuspecting. When the deed is done water hides their trail. A win, win for the pirates.

Ursula, Tor, and so many are taking their duties seriously relieving Eriana of an ever increasing heavy burden as leader and Admiral. Everyone on a OJT curve as they progress. As deadly as they were when they arrived in Paraland, their training and now their constant challenges up the river has made them even more deadly to their enemies.

Ms. Lane my apologies for not commenting on earlier chapters. Life gets in the way of pleasure at times.
Barb
The greatest adventure may not be without but within.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

if they are lucky, they'll

if they are lucky, they'll find them where they've made base, they are 3 operational vessels, 2 of which have barges under tow, making it less than ideal to fight, if they find somewhere to set down, and then engage the pirates on the river that's different, but they still need to find where they are operating from

Bare/bear in mind

The modern day pirates along the Middle East and down the coast have even tried to take on U.S. Navy ships. Inferior equipment and training will fall to a trained fighting force with superior weapons. To wit, the pirates have had their asses handed to them.

Eriana's River Patrol will be a big surprise, kicking ass and taking names. It wouldn't surprise me if they find that some two-bit minor noble was behind the pirates. As others have suggested, a couple of "bait" barges with some of Eriana's marine soldiers hidden below decks could make "pirate" a very unhealthy job. If the King were to offer some form of amnesty I believe the power behind the pirates would soon be revealed.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

ship design

The twin hull configuration has a lot of volume constraints, especially if you are considering room for an engine, boiler room and coal store, plus it's not likely to be seaworthy, or configurable for seaworthiness, perhaps nacelles could work?

I think

Paraland's Vikings will be spoiling to meet the pirates, Viking style with a sword.

pirates !

wow!

DogSig.png

I keep wondering

If the pirate is someone they already know.

Pirates

So, if it is a known issue, why has there not been a concerted issue to eliminate these vermin?

Things like Bait Ships where said ships are full of fighting men waiting for the vermin to try it would gradually take them out. Or at the very least, actionable intelligence may be had if they were to capture some and find out as to where the home bases of them are.

And if they have an pirate association type of 'gentleman's' agreement, then it is possible to find out and destroy more nests.

Oh, and do these pirates like rum? Inquiring minds would like to know. ^_^

Pirate tactics

I would imagine that most of the countries up and down that part of the Sirrel have tried the tactics you suggest over time.

The problem here has several factors which are complicating the issue:

  • Local terrain. The banks along this stretch and parts of other stretches are covered with the local variety of mangrove. This makes it easier for pirates to hide.
  • Time of year. With the Rains coming up, the focus of the pirates will have shifted from booty and mayhem to just staying alive during the two months they will be stuck in wherever they are.
  • Time of year 2. As the level of the Sirrel gets lower, traffic on the river changes patterns, both in what is carried and the routes they are able to take. As has already been noted, the customary galleys can only run in the deeper parts of the river.
  • "Not my problem". If a barge from, say, Benmond or Thesk disappears, who in the affected stretch is even going to know? It isn't like aviation on Earth, where you have to file a flight plan before you leave. All the local patrols can do is offer help when they see someone in trouble, just as they did in this chapter.
  • The war. As the war with Yod has recently ended, the local region is awash with surplus men, equipment and weapons. That means that the 'pirates' may be better prepared and organized than the usual brigands.

Many of these points will be discussed and understood in the next chapter or two. There are other factors at work as well. Rum? The use of spirits in the Great Valley is limited, to an extent, but I'm sure that the pirates will have dined on fine wines from Faralmark and elsewhere.

Penny

I would add

besides arming merchant vessels, the best counter to piracy and commerce raiding historically is radio, which they obviously don't have, they might be able to implement colored smoke or even signal flares (now that they have black power) but those still rely on someone being able to see them, and respond, these pirates used a barge, two barges being tied together isn't that unusual (one could be having problems) and a barge on its own is hardly suspect, a river patrol ship could easily pass them up without realizing what the crew was using it for.