Only Sixteen 9

Printer-friendly version

I had my usual hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallows. Yummy or what?

Only Sixteen 9

By Susan Brown

I am not a doctor or solicitor, so please forgive me if the medical and legal stuff isn't accurate. Let's face it. It's only a story. If I was a doctor or solicitor, I would be much richer than I am now!
34

With that, she tickled me and made me laugh. It was a good job that I was nearly healed and my stitches were firmly in place, otherwise, there would have been an embarrassing accident!

We met the twins and Megan by the lighthouse. There were hugs all around and we made our way to the coffee shop overlooking the beach by the side of the harbour.

The Sunset Café was a good name as, in the evening at sunset, you got wonderful views of the sun setting over the sea. Being mid-week and not quite the school holiday season, we were able to get a decent table overlooking the nearly white sandy beach and the blue sea beyond.

I had my usual hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallows. Yummy or what?

The twins were coffee freaks and had Café Latte’s and Hannah decided on Coke, which had more ice than liquid.

We sat there talking about college, clothes, boys, girls, food and whatever when…

‘Hello girls.’

Two boys were standing there.

They were twins.

Soph and Steph stood up as one and grabbed one of the boys each and started to get intimate, kissing and hugging the boys. I think that they would go further if it wasn’t so public.

I raised an eyebrow at Hannah.

‘I know, weird or what?’

Soon the boys had grabbed a chair each, ordered their drinks and sat down with their respective girlfriends.

The boy twins were Robert and Harry, they weren’t quite as identical as the girls, but it was close. Harry had dyed his hair blond for some reason, maybe to stand out from his brother. Other than the hair, they were pretty well identical.

Harry sipped his coffee and looked at me.

‘So, you are the famous Emma. If I wasn’t already attached, I would make a play for you. You are drop-dead gorgeous.’

I felt my face go red.

Sophie smacked Harry around the head.

‘Ouch.’

‘Don’t touch, she’s got Hannah.’

‘Ouch, I can look and pay a pretty girl a compliment, can’t I?’

‘No.’

‘Spoilsport.’

I laughed. It was going to be interesting having those boys about.

*

It was a great evening and the boys were fun to be around. I had no idea how much they had been told about me, but I didn’t really care. They would have to accept me or not; their choice. However, I had a feeling that they would be cool about me, they were so laid back, they were virtually horizontal!

I won’t go into what was discussed, as it would be boring to outsiders and I’m not into doing the he said she said thing.

Mind you it was lovely sitting there with my friends, drinking and laughing and taking in the wonderful sunset. There were a few clouds in the sky and as the sun went down, the golden reflection on the clouds and water was a beautiful thing to see.

On the beach, there were still plenty of people about. Some were walking their dogs; others were still messing about in the water. There were groups that had barbeques on the beach and the smells wafted across making my mouth water!

I could kill for a burger!

I gradually relaxed more and more and was pleased that I had agreed to go down to the quay, despite my reservations.

35

That night in bed, as Hannah spooned into my back and her gentle breath was on my neck, I reflected on the day and was in a happy place.

We now shared the same bed. I suppose that it was inevitable really. Her mum and dad were okay with it as they could see that we were in love but not silly about doing things that they might frown on. It was inevitable at some stage that we would get even more intimate, but for now, we just shared the bed and had kisses and cuddles.

I think Auntie and Uncle knew the way things were heading and accepted it with understandable reservations.

Hannah’s bed was luckily a double one. She liked the room to move about evidently and that was nice. Sometimes it got hot a bit snuggling up together, especially on the warm Summer nights and we tended to spread ourselves out a bit, but come the morning, we were nearly always up close and personal.

We respected Hannah’s mum and dad and didn’t go too far, sexually. Anyway, until I had my boy equipment removed, I wouldn’t feel like a whole girl, if you know what I mean.

Before we finally went to sleep, Hannah had an idea.

‘How about you coming into the college with me?’

‘When?’ I asked yawning hugely.

‘If you’re not too sore, tomorrow. I have a lecture in the morning and you can sit in on it if you like. It’s in the lecture theatre. Then we can go around the college and I’ll show you where everything is. What do you think?’

‘I should be okay; the pains are nearly gone and I’m getting bored just sitting around. It’ll be nice to see the college. I only went to the office and café when I went for my interview. Are you sure I can sit in on the lecture?’

‘They encourage students from other courses to sit in. Gives them a more rounded education, they say, but more normally, it's because some students can’t be bothered to get up and it helps fill the empty spaces.’

I wasn’t sure if she was fibbing but I agreed to go with her.

*

The next morning, Auntie gave us a lift to the college. Normally Hannah took the bus, but Auntie was worried about me for some reason and she gave us a lift and told us to contact her when we wanted to come home.

Auntie was a bit of a fusspot about me and was worried that it might be too much for me to go to college so soon after the attack. I reassured her that I would be all right and anyway, I wasn’t on my own as I had Hannah with me.

I was careful about what to wear. What did the go-ahead young college girl wear?

Of course, I had to consult my wardrobe advisor.

All the helpful Hannah said was, ‘for God’s sake don’t go all Mary Poppins on me!’

As if!

Jeans and a top were a good choice but for me, the jeans option wasn’t possible yet. So I wore a pale white and blue stripey T-shirt and my go-to blue denim pinafore dress. I think that I looked okay and as I didn’t get any negative vibes and when I arrived, I saw other girls wearing similar clothes, so I think that I got away with my choices.

I still had to hide my facial bruise which was turning into a nice technicolour shade. Thank heavens for concealer! I didn’t go too mad with makeup, but I was now getting much better at the mysterious art and I even had encouraging noises from Hannah about the finished look.

As we drove up to Penzance 6th Form College, my heart flipped slightly. I did so hope that I would be able to get on well. It meant so much to me that I should get high enough grades for me to fulfil the dream of going to medical school.

We were dropped off at the main complex. It was a busy place with many people rushing around trying to get to classes or lectures on time.

I was feeling a bit insecure and would have loved to have held onto Hannah’s hand, but I had no idea what the PDA rules were there, so I just had to walk alongside her, albeit quite close. Mind you, as soon as I saw a few girls walking arm in arm, I grabbed onto her like some sort of lifebuoy or is that lifegirl?

Not much attention was paid to us, for which I was thankful. I had gotten over the possible dread of being “clocked”. I looked very much the same as other girls for which I was thankful. I was acutely aware that others in my position weren’t so lucky. I was wearing my lanyard ID pass, as were all the other students. Another sign that I “belonged”.

We had to hurry, as the lecture was to begin in about ten minutes. I just tagged along with Hannah as she swiftly rushed along countless corridors until we found the lecture theatre.
She pushed through some swing doors and found some seats at the back, out of the way. The lecture theatre was about two third full and Hannah said ‘Hi,’ and finger waived to several people.

I suppose there was about a 75 -25 split between the sexes, the girls being the majority. I had little time to take everything in before a man came in through the side entrance and made his way to the lectern.

He was a handsome man; I would say in his late forties, with blond hair and laser-like steely blue eyes. I could imagine that some of the girls might fancy him, but me being, effectively, a lesbian with just one love in my life, he left me a bit cold. As a teacher, he looked somewhat stern and I thought, at first glance, that he wasn’t one to stand any nonsense.

The noise quietened down immediately, and everyone seemed to sit up and he started in.

‘Good morning. I hope that you have looked at the notes regarding this section of your course. I will be asking questions later.’

There was some rustling of paper and Hannah, being Hannah, dropped her bag on the floor and various items spilt out. Of course, everyone looked, and I felt, by association, a bit like a deer in the headlights. Maybe coming here might not have been such a good idea for me after all…

Professor Cheshire, for that was his name, looked up at Hannah as she collected her things and then saw me and frowned.

‘Ah, Ms Anthony, glad that you are with us. Please see me after the lecture. Now, if you are all settled, we shall begin.’

Of course, being all brave I had sunk down in my seat, hoping that I wouldn’t be noticed, but those eyes had lingered on me for a moment too long, and I felt, to say the least, a bit uncomfortable.

‘The primary objective of nutrition,’ said the professor, ‘is to acquire both energy and carbon, which are essential for sustaining cellular processes and facilitating growth and repair. Different organisms employ various methods to obtain these vital components…’

And so it went on. He had a way with him that captivated his audience and after a while, I forgot about the slight upset caused by Hannah’s bag malfunction and I actually enjoyed myself. He used PowerPoint extensively and charts, images, infographics, graphs, icons, diagrams, etc, making the overall presentation a gripping visual feast.

All in all, I enjoyed myself and felt that I would get to grips with the course, which would, luckily from part of my studies. I wasn’t sure if I would have Professor Cheshire as a course tutor but hoped that I would.

After the lecture finished, there was a rush to the doors. Hannah and I went down to the front where the prof was collecting up his things.

He looked up as we approached. I hung back a bit.

‘Ah, Ms Anthony, your last piece of work submitted was two days late. Please make sure that you are on time in future.’

He turned to me with those steely blue eyes.

‘I don’t recognise you…Ms?

‘Penhaligon, Emma Penhaligon.’

I could see by the look on his face that he recognised my name. He looked at me closely and seemed to be surprised for some reason.

I was beginning to feel a bit uncomfortable.

‘Ah yes, I have heard all about you. I understand that you will be one of my pupils for a few subjects. What are your plans for the future?’

‘I…I want to go to medical school.’

He raised his eyebrows.

‘Indeed, it means seven years of hard work if you are accepted. It can be a difficult career for anyone. Let’s hope that you are up to it. Anyway, I must be off. I look forward to working with you, Ms Penhaligon.’

Without another word, he was off.

When he left, Hannah looked at me.

‘What was that all about?’ she said.

‘What do you mean?’

‘I might not be that sensitive about feelings and atmosphere, but that was weird.’

We sat down on the stage where the podium was.

‘This is going to be difficult.’

‘What do you mean?’

‘I’m very sensitive to what others see in me, it’s part of who I am. He doesn’t like me. He knows that I’m trans. I think that he’s surprised that I look so natural as a girl and that pop about it can be a difficult career for anyone, that anyone meant someone like me.’

‘How can you say that? He’s only spoken a few words to you.’

‘He knows about me and my situation. I suppose all my tutors would know about my circumstances. I just hope that his hang-ups won’t affect the way he teaches me or any of the other teachers either.’

Hannah looked a bit shocked.

‘You must be making a mistake. I didn’t get that vibe from him.’

I looked at her. I didn’t think that she really understood.

‘I hope that I’m wrong Hannah. You weren’t looking at him when he realised who I was. You did get that something was going on?’

She thought for a moment.

‘I do know that he has his favourites and I’m not one of them. I do know for a fact that some others submit their work late and not all of them get told off about it.’

‘I suppose that I’ll just have to wait and see if he treats me like everyone else or not. One thing though.’

‘What?’

‘I’ve been through hell and back and I’m not about to roll over and play dead. If he does have a problem with me, then I’ll make a complaint. There is no way that I let anyone interfere with my career prospects.’

‘That a girl!’

We both giggled.

Just then I received a text.
Hi Emma, Understand that you are on campus. Time for a quick chat at 11? If so come to room 301. Olivia Hatcher.

I showed the text to Hannah.

‘I wonder how she knew you were here?’

I waved the ID pass at her.

‘Hmm, big brother is watching?’

‘Or sister,’

Look, I’ll go into the café whilst you see your tutor. We have what, half an hour? I’ll show you around and then park you outside her room.’

‘Sounds like a good idea.’

‘I do have them sometimes, you know.’

36

At 10.55 I was outside room 301, glancing at my watch. I had a thing about timekeeping, something that didn’t trouble Hannah, who would be late for her own funeral.

She had gone off to the cafeteria leaving me to my fate.

Hanna had shown me around the campus which was modern with plenty of newish glass-fronted buildings. Outside was a full-sized football pitch and several tennis courts. That was interesting as I had wondered whether they had a tennis court and it turned out that they had more. There was also a synthetic running track and an indoor swimming pool. They obviously liked their sports at the college. There was also a library and college shop with inflated prices. Still, it was handy for essentials like Coke and chocolate bars.

The college looked like a place where I could enjoy my studies and I hoped that I would fit in well. Only time would tell if that was the case.

At 11 o’clock sharp, I knocked on the door.

‘Come in.’

A lady was sitting behind a desk, she had a computer monitor to the side of her and a sheaf of papers in front of her.

‘Ah, Emma is it?’ she said, smiling.

Olivia Hatcher was, I suppose in her late thirties. She had short brown hair, styled in a bob like mine. She was quite pretty, she was wearing a loose flowery dress, not my style but it seemed to suit her.

‘Sit down Emma.’

I sat down opposite her.

‘You found me okay then?’

‘Yes, my friend Hannah brought me here.’

‘Hannah?’

‘Yes, Hannah Anthony.’

‘Oh yes, I have her for a few periods. Bright girl.’

‘Is she? I mean, she is.'

I could feel my face go red. My comment was uncalled for. I knew that my Hannah was clever. I think that I was nervous.

She laughed. It was a nice laugh.

‘Yes, she is and a force of nature I think.’

I smiled. Not wanting to put my foot in my mouth again.

‘Right Emma. I’m sorry to hear about the attack on you. How are you feeling?’

‘Much better thanks.’

‘They caught those boys?’

‘Yes, they’re in custody somewhere. They weren’t allowed out on bail evidently due to the severity of the charges and also as they are a flight risk.’

She picked up a paper, scanned it a bit and then looked at me.

‘It’s good that they are locked away. We don’t need people like that around here. Enough of that. I might say something that I could regret. Back to you. How much chance have you had to read some of the coursework that I’ve sent you?’

‘Not as much as I like, because of all that has happened but enough to know that I think that I should be okay with it.’

‘You want to go to medical school, I understand?’

‘Yes or if I don’t get the grades, I would go in for nursing.’

‘Like Hannah?’

‘Yes.’

‘Judging from what I have heard, you are very bright and I think that you should do well. I can see no reason why we can’t get you the grades needed to go to medical school, as long as you apply yourself as I am sure you will.’

‘Thanks, I hope so.’

‘I have received details of your work from your old school. They are not aware that you have changed your name and consider yourself to be a girl. That is private as far as we are concerned and we would never betray a confidence.’

‘Thanks, I was worried that they might give the game away and tell my parents.’

‘I suppose they could tell your parents that we have asked for your educational records, but I understand that your solicitor has spoken to them and told them about your situation regarding the problems that you have had at home and they have given assurances that your privacy will be respected.’

‘That’s good,’

‘You aren’t the first person to have this type of problem and schools are aware that sometimes it’s safer to withhold information that might be detrimental to a student.’

We spoke a bit more about what I would be doing. As previously mentioned, I would start formal studies for the next term and in the meantime, I would do some work from home and I could go to college and attend some lectures to get the feel of things and set me up for the future. As I had access to the college portal, I would be able to study the current coursework and also get help from Miss Hatcher. All in all, it looked good to me.

The meeting was coming to a close. Miss Hatcher had a lecture to prepare for.

‘Well Emma, I’m glad that I have been able to meet you at last. I think that you are going to do well. Being trans means that you may have a few issues here, but we are, as a college, very supportive and I think I can say that there are two other girls and a boy here that are in a similar position to you. If you have any issues or concerns, you must come and tell me. We will not tolerate any discrimination here.’

‘That’s good to know,’ I said standing up and shaking her hand.

‘I’ll email you some things for you to look at, she said. ‘By the way, we still use Microsoft Teams for some lectures but that is being phased out to a certain extent now that Covid isn’t such an issue. I’ll send you schedules for some lectures that might be of interest to you. Was there anything else you wanted to talk about?’

I hesitated.

‘What?’

‘Will I be having much contact with Professor Cheshire?’

‘Some, why?’

‘Nothing. I erm, went to one of his lectures earlier.’

‘I see, he’s a very good lecturer and demands a lot from his students. I’m sure that you will benefit from his knowledge.’

‘I hope so.’

‘Right, I must rush. Nice to see you and don’t forget, if you have any problems or issues, let me know.’

37

I made my way out in her wake and I smiled as she was literally running down the corridor. Quite a comical sight!

As I made my way to the cafeteria, I thought about my meeting with her. She seemed like a nice lady and was very supportive. I wasn’t so sure about Professor Cheshire though; there was something about him…

Hannah was sitting over in the corner of the cafeteria and I saw that Megan was with her. They were talking animatedly about something and giggling. There were quite a few other students there as I made my way over to their table and it was quite noisy.

I wondered how many other students I might be friends with. I’m a bit shy and found it difficult to make friends. I was lucky to have the ones I had, mainly due to the life force that was Hannah.

On seeing me, Megan got up and hugged me. It was nice. I wasn’t quite used to the huggy-feely thing that girls do yet.

'Hi Emma, said Hannah as I sat down. ‘How did you get on?’

‘Fine, I like her.’

‘Yea, she’s cool.’

I turned to Megan.

‘No classes?’

‘Just finished. I have some work to do at home later though.’

‘What are you studying for?’

‘Maths, English, history, I want to be a teacher, so I would like to go for a Batchelor of Arts degree at uni.’

‘That’s nice; good luck with that.’

‘Thanks; so girls, what are you doing now?’

‘Well, I said, ‘I want a Coke first then, I suppose, back home to do a bit of studying.’

Hannah looked shocked.

‘What did I say earlier?’

‘You said lots of things, some not sensible.’ I replied, my tongue firmly in my cheek.

‘Cheap remark there, very cheap, I expected better. No, remember when I looked in our shared closet and I remarked that you didn’t, like, have enough clothes?’

‘Yes.’

‘Where are we?’

‘In college.’

‘Yes, yes, but we are in Penzance, so what does that mean?’

‘That we’re not at home?’

‘Tell her Megan,’ sighed Hannah.

‘I think what your girlfriend is saying, not very subtly, is that she wants to go clothes shopping with you.’

‘I don’t have any money to spend on clothes and anyway, I have just bought loads.’

‘You’ve just scratched the surface, little one. You have a lot to learn and I have made it a mission in my life to help you.’

‘You mean help yourself.’

‘What do you mean.’

‘If, and I say if we go shopping, will it be just for me?’

Hannah looked at me as if I was mad. Megan just sat there; arms folded with a grin on her face.

‘Well,’ said Hannah, ‘it would be rude not to join you and maybe buy myself a few bits and pieces.’

‘Thought so,’ I said smugly.

‘So, will you?’ said Hannah.

‘Will I what?’

‘Go shopping?’

‘When?’

‘Now.’

‘Why?’

I could see that she was about to blow a gasket, so I let her off the hook.

‘Megan,’ I said, ‘do you fancy coming with us?’

‘To do what?’

‘Clothes shop.’

‘Why.’

‘Because if you don’t come, I may not be able to control this one.’ I replied pointing at Hannah.

‘Okay, I’ll come. You two make a good comedy act and I like a laugh.’

‘I am here you know,’ exclaimed Hannah.

‘Are you?’ said Megan and me together.

38

So we went and did some clothes shopping. To be honest, I didn’t think that I needed much but Hannah, being Hannah, didn’t agree. Megan helped me rein Hannah in a bit and my purchases weren’t too major, just a few tops and skirts and a couple of pairs of jeans and capri’s for when I was well enough down below to allow me to wear them.

Megan bought a few items including a very pretty print dress and, of course, Hannah went overboard and tried to buy everything that wasn’t tied down. That was until I mentioned that her dad and mum might go ballistic if she went too mad with her spending.

‘Buy it if you like, but I’ll go next door to my place while you tell them the price of it. I don’t want to be in the same cottage as you when that happens.’

‘You’re beginning to sound like them,’ she sulkily claimed as she put down a dress that cost more than all the items that I had bought.

‘That’s a good girl,’ I replied, smiling at the look on her face.

‘But you’re my girlfriend. You should stick by me through thick and thin.’

‘Well, I could tell them that I tried to stop you from buying it.’

‘You wouldn’t!’

‘I would. It would be my duty to tell them. They’ve been so kind to me and they said that I am their surrogate child.’

‘Snitch!’

‘That’s me,’ I replied smugly as Megan, for some reason started giggling.

Of course, this was all tongue-in-cheek. Hannah liked to press everyone’s buttons to see their reactions. I was beginning to get the measure of her. She had no intention of buying the dress, she just wanted to see our reaction.

She shrugged in the end.

‘I think that you are getting to know me far too well, young Emma.’

‘I’m not that much younger than you.’

‘That’s beside the point. I am more worldly and knowledgeable than you.’

She looked smug.

‘Not according to your mum...’

‘That’s beside the point.’

A bit later, we were all picked up by Auntie who frowned at the number of bags we were carrying.

‘What?’ said Hannah.

‘I hope that none of these bags are yours?’

‘Only two.’

Auntie sighed for some reason and set off home.

I had a feeling that Auntie sighed a lot where Hannah was concerned.

*

We dropped Megan off and continued home. When we arrived, I said that I wanted to go, next door to check on things. Hannah wanted to come with me, but Auntie told her that she needed to put the clothes that she had bought away and also take my things up to the bedroom.

With a certain amount of grumbling, she did as she was told.

I said goodbye to them both and left them to it as I went next door to my cottage.

I hadn’t been there for a few days and wanted a bit of time to myself. Lately, what with everything going on around me, I hadn’t had much time for myself. I loved being around my new family, but sometimes it was nice to get away from it all and do my own thing.

I let myself in and noticed that it was all a bit musty, so the first thing that I did was to open up some windows and the French doors leading out to the garden.

Talking about the garden, as soon as I opened the French doors, the ducks came out from the back of one of the bushes and waddled towards me. I think that they were after food, but I hadn’t any to give them.

After looking disappointed, waiting for something, anything that they could eat and getting nothing, they waddled off to the pond and did their circling around thing, whilst quacking loudly.

Feeling a bit guilty about not supplying food for my ducks, I went back inside to the kitchen and grabbed a Coke from the fridge.

It was still a bit hot and musty in the cottage, so I went upstairs and opened a few windows, hoping for some sort of through-draft, although there wasn’t much wind about.

After that, I went downstairs, powered up my laptop and checked my emails.
Nothing much except one from Nigeria, asking me for my bank accounts details so that they could send me a million pounds.

Yea, that was going to happen!

I sent it packing into my junk mail.

I looked at the college portal website and I noticed that I had a few messages in there.

One was from my tutor; she had sent me links to even more things to study. Something to look forward to – maybe!

The other was from a student named Olivia.

I opened it.

Hi Emma,
I am the student rep and when you have time, we need to talk about student activities and clubs that you might want to get involved in. Let me know when you are next in college and we’ll meet up.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Olivia.

That could be interesting as I think that they had a tennis club or were affiliated with one, judging by the number of tennis courts, they should have one!

I decided to deal with it later.

I was feeling a bit sticky from the heat, so I went upstairs and had a quick shower. After removing my clothes, I carefully pulled down my control panties. These were used to hold the now small pad dressing I had to protect what was left of what my dear brother used to call my crown jewels. As jewels go, the area was a bit tarnished now. Moving aside my tiny penis, I had a look to see how things were going down there.

The jagged tear in my scrotum had healed very well and I didn’t have any pain from the site and there was no blood on the pad. All good signs!

I would be having the stitches removed in the next few days and was glad about that as the area was getting a bit itchy. Perfectly natural according to the doctors and a sign that I was healing.

I just wished that I was old enough to have the gender confirmation surgery needed to make me happy.

I sighed and went to have my shower.

I felt much fresher after the shower and I got dressed in a lemon-coloured sun dress; nice and cool! I only had a few clothes in my cottage as most of my things had been transferred to Hannah’s.

I went over to the dressing table to put on some makeup but realised that most of my magic potions and lotion were next door.

I decided to go and see what Hannah was doing, so I closed the windows and locked the door and went next door.

I used my key for the first time and it felt funny letting myself into the cottage.

I heard noises from the kitchen and went in.

Hannah was there with Nutty Dog and there was a tug-of-war going on between them.
After a few moments, Charlie pulled the rope from Hannah’s hand and ran off with his prize looking very pleased with himself!

Hannah looked at her fingers.

‘I’ve broken a nail now. I hate that.’

‘Never mind,’ I said, ‘you’ve got several more.’

‘Ha ha, very funny.’

She looked at me for the first time and smiled.

‘You look edible.’

‘Thanks, I think.’

‘Look, I had a text from the goils.’

‘You’re talking funny; Goils?’

‘That’s how Americans speak. I’m going for a mid-Atlantic accent.’

‘Sounds more like a mid-Wales accent to me.’

She sighed and reverted to her more normal Cornish clotted cream-type accent that I loved but sometimes didn’t understand.

‘Parasite.’

‘Don’t you mean philistine?’

‘Probably, Miss Smarty-pants. Anyway, the girls asked if we wanted to meet up with them down at the quay I said yes and was about to text you about it when you turned up.’

‘You were playing with Charlie.’

‘Well, technically yes, but after that, I was going to text you.’

‘So Charlie is more important than me?’

‘Yes…no, oh don’t mess with my head Emma.’

I smiled.

I did love pressing her buttons.

39

We met the others by the lighthouse, nothing new there!

We did the hug thing, very touchy-feely now. Girls can do that, but boys, could you imagine it?

Anyway, we made our way along the quay to the café where I had a coke, as it was just too hot for hot chocolate.

‘Maybe later.’ I thought.

The others had cold drinks too and as we sat there and watched the world go by, I thought back to the last time I was at the quay and what had happened to me.

I suppose it was natural to think of that nasty, dark time.

The others were talking about the usual things like clothes/ boys/girls and the latest scandal involving some of the students at the college.

How much of it was true, I didn’t know, but it was nice just being there with my friends and I gradually relaxed and started to forget the past for just a little while.

The others didn’t mention what had happened. I think that there was some sort of pact to keep the subject off of the table.

Eventually, we finished our drinks and decided to have a walk along the beach.

I took off my sandals and loved the feeling of the warm sand beneath my feet and between my toes. As we walked along the shore, I felt myself relax even more. I loved the way the wind moved my dress against my bare legs, the thin material helping to keep me cool and comfortable.

The others started mucking about like kids, chasing each other and laughing. I was quite content to walk along with the gentle warm waves lapping over my feet.

I looked forward to a time when I could run about again and feel like a kid. I was nearly there. I was healing quite nicely now and I even thought about when I could go running again. Maybe I could persuade one or more of the girls to go running with me. I suppose I was a bit reluctant to run by myself, for obvious reasons.

There were quite a few people on the beach, being one of the few beaches in Cornwall that didn’t ban dogs. To be honest, many dog owners were more responsible than some of the other beach users who left litter about or played music so loudly that it spoilt things for others…

I sighed.

To me, I was beginning to sound like a bit of a Grinch. I would have to put my positive panties on and stop all this doom, gloom and negative thoughts. I was lucky to be alive, with friends who cared for me and a new family that in a few weeks loved me more than a lifetime living with my old parents.

This was all a bit like a rerun of my emotions, sometimes up and sometimes down and occasionally on an even keel. Was it all to do with my hormones? I had no idea. I just wanted things to be normal, whatever that was.

The girls came running back to me, all giggling and looking red in the face due to their exertions.

I, of course, looked calm and collected.

‘Had a nice play children?’ I asked haughtily, ‘and do you want Mummy to get you buckets and spades and maybe if you are good, a lollypop each?’

There was a certain amount of unladylike swearing and then they all scooped up some seawater and splashed me, making me scream and run away.

After a few minutes, they caught up with me, laughing their heads off, whilst I was giggling uncontrollably. We calmed down a bit and I realised that I was soaked to the skin. It was lucky that my stitches hadn’t burst. Blood on my lemon dress wouldn’t have looked very nice. I had forgotten about not exerting myself in my eagerness to get away from my tormentors. Still, it was a good sign that I wasn’t going to bleed to death after their antics.

We sat on the sand as my dress dried in the still hot sunshine. I hoped that it wouldn’t stain as it was one of my favourites. Before coming down I had slapped on some factor hundred or whatever waterproof sunscreen, so I wasn’t about to go all red and horrible, but it was quite hot out there with the sun’s rays bouncing off the nearly white sand.

We sat there for a long time talking about this, that and maybe the other, but eventually, the sun started to head towards the horizon and the wind was coming up. I was starting to get goosebumps and we all decided to go to our various homes. Luckily, my dress had dried and apart from a few tide marks, which Hannah, the self-proclaimed expert, said should come out in the wash, it should be okay.

After hugs on the quay, we left our friends and made our way back home.

To be continued...

Please leave comments and let me know if you want this to continue. Oh, and if you can, please do the kudo-thingie... thanks! ~Sue

up
273 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Professor Cheshire..

Lucy Perkins's picture

Oh dear, it sounds as if Professor Cheshire is going to be a problem. I only hope that Penzance College means what they say in their Non Discrimination Policy. Then it might be he who is the one in trouble.
Another excellent chapter, Thank you Sue.
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

A pleasant day

Recuperating in Cornwall. What could be nicer???

Ron

This is a great read!

Really enjoying your story, Susan. Looking forward to future chapters!