Metempsychosis Apotheosis - 2

Printer-friendly version

Chapter Two
by Raine Monday

For seven days, I heard nothing.

People might think I shouldn't have worried, she was in the Maldives, she was having fun, stop being so dramatic.

But people didn't know Karyn. Karyn couldn't make it through a morning without speaking to me.

I attempted to call her cellphone after the first few hours after she landed. It went straight to voice-mail however, Karyn's perky voice saying: 'Hi! Sorry I'm not here, but leave a message and you know what to do!"

I'd left dozens of messages. I'd sent her email. I stalked her social media. I called the organizers of the event and was told she had made it to the Maldives, was having an amazing time, and wished I was there. I was told gently, but firmly there was to be no outside contact for the week.

I also tried Brandon's phone, social media, and contacts and nothing. I sent emails, and once again was told gently, but firmly, Brandon Grainger had arrived safely, was having a good time, and wished I was there.

It was eerie, to say the least. I didn't sleep for the entire week. I pictured all kinds of dark scenarios in my head. Round trip tickets ranged from $1500 to $2000.00. Of course work was nuts with the audit, but I actually didn't care, and was cited for failing to appear to several of the appointments.

I went from driving myself nuts about it to talking myself out of cashing in every bit of savings I had and flying down there. Myself kept saying: Self, you read the instructions. They were going to be completely off-grid for the duration. If you were so worried about it, she invited you to go and you declined the invitation.

So that's why I was anxiously waiting at the airport, one week later.

Everyone exiting the plane looked a bit subdued and quiet. I expected them all to be laughing and reminiscing. I saw Brandon first.

"Hey man! I've been worried sick! Where's Karyn?"

He looked at me, frowning, then nodded. "Oh, hello Robert."

I blinked. Brandon hadn't called me...hell, NOBODY called me Robert. "Brandon, where's Karyn?"

At that moment, she came into view walking down the jet-bridge, and I sighed. My baby was home.

I waved as she approached. She looked at me and smiled in a strange sort of way, like she wasn't expecting to see me.

"Hello," she said approaching.

"Hello? I said, smiling. "That's all I get. Come here you!" I leaned over and picked her up, spinning her around.

"Put me down, put me down, put me down." She shook her head as I sat her back on her feet. She seemed a bit unsteady.

"Are you okay, Babe?"

She frowned a bit, then nodded. "Yes, I'm fine. Are those for me?" she held out her hand.

I looked down at the flowers I was holding. "Yes, of course."

I put them in her hand and she smelled them, then smiled. "Can we go home?"

"I thought you'd never ask!"

Brandon walked off without another word. I shook my head. That was very strange, something funny was definitely going on.

We walked to the car, and she acted strange, like she hadn't seen it before, almost walking past it until she saw me unlocking my door.

She gave a soft "Oh, I didn't know this was it."

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing," she said, looking out the window.

I shut the door and put the car in reverse, then pulled out of the airport parking and onto the freeway.

"Okay, spill. What the fuck is going on?"

"What do you mean?"

"What do you mean, what do I mean. What they hell is up with you, and why did Brandon act like he didn't even know you?"

"Brandon?"

"Yes, for fuck's sake. Karyn, tell me what happened. Did you two have a fight or something?"

She paused a moment, still staring out the window. "Yes. A fight. Yes."

She didn't say anything else.

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"Jesus Christ, what's gotten into you? Are you jet-lagged?"

She paused again. "Yes, darling. I'm sorry. I'm jet-lagged. I just need to sleep."

I sighed. "Of course, we'll get home soon."

Silently we drove through the streets as the rain started to come down. I turned on the windshield wipers and then the radio.

She didn't touch the station, just sat silently looking out the window. Normally, my gorgeous and gregarious wife would have been chattering on about how much fun she'd had, what she'd seen, who she'd talked to. All the things from the week that had stuck in her mind and needed to be set free. She would have changed the radio from my station of soft jazz to pop, without asking or thinking. She'd have jumped up and down at the flowers, taking it as a definitive exhibition of my love, and we would have joked about it all the way home.

Not this quiet, sedate person sitting next to me. Something major must have happened. Something...terrible? She wasn't sad, she was alert, but for all the world it seemed like she was...shy, around me. Did something happen between her and Brandon? Did they have a torrid love affair and she didn't want to tell me?

We pulled up to the house and she waited quietly for me to get her luggage, and walk up the walk to the front door. I unlocked the house, and Rex came barging up. I assumed Karyn would have squealed and greeted him, throwing her arms around him, but she shied away from our retriever, hiding herself.

"It's okay, he's just happy to see you."

She nodded, still hiding behind me.

"Rex! Settle down. She'll pet you when she's ready."

The dog stopped wagging his tail and whining and sat staring up at us. I walked into the living room and threw the keys on the table.

"I got steaks for us tonight, and some of that red wine you like."

She nodded. "I think I just want to lie down."

"Sure honey. I'll put Rex outside and be in there in a minute."

She nodded and walked down the hallway, looking in every room.

I gripped the dog's collar and dragged him to the back door. He whimpered a little.

"I know, buddy, but I don't know what's going on either. As soon as I know, you'll know."

After shutting the door, I went back to the master bedroom, but I didn't see Karyn on the bed. Frowning, I looked and found her lying on the guest bed, fully clothed, on the comforter.

Her eyes were closed. I was surprised, she hated sleeping in her clothes. She always stripped naked before sleeping, even if she was only going to take a catnap.

I slid in beside her, happy to at least feel her again. I leaned in and kissed her neck, in her favorite place, and she mumbled something and turned away from me.

It had sounded like a different language. I shook my head.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this chapter, you can get it and more on my Patreon.
It's also available in its entirety on Gumroad

up
42 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Karyn

is obviously not in Kansas anymore. From the looks of it, someone did either a mind exchange or changed another person to the point to look excactly like Karyn. It's hard to tell for what reasons, though. And Brandon seems to be standing besides his "shoes", too.

Thx for a nice spooky chapter^^

Yikes...

RachelMnM's picture

Well written chapter! Everything 'Robert' was feeling I was feeling... Nicely done! Curiosity hooked for sure!

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...