Mischief Night Magic (2)

Printer-friendly version

Mischief Night Magic
Sequel to 
Cemetery Shenanigans
Part Two: Making Plans

The English language is full of idioms. One of the simpler ones is “Time flies when you're having fun.” I'm not sure how true that is, but it seemed I soon lost myself in my work. The simple act of bending down, picking up a weather worn trinket and tossing it into the trashcan before moving on to the next one was like a simple form of meditation to me.

Looking back, yes it was back breaking work, but that only because I was so out of shape. Despite my slim figure. I was in terrible shape. Weeks of doing nothing but sitting in front of the glowing screen of my television in my room, playing countless hours of mind numbing video games had sapped the body of its vitally. I came to the understanding that I'd abandoned all social life to acquire the skills of a gamer. And my friends who had followed me on this path were the kind that kind of twisted me. 

I found myself wanting more from life. The fresh air seemed to almost heal my lungs, the sweat that was pouring from my brow almost seemed like a shower to wash away the former life I'd once led. As the hours melted away, I found myself coming up with plans. I resolved to do better in school, to really buckle down and get ready for my Junior and Senior Year next year. Those would be critical. 

To start looking into college applications too, instead of doing what my dad wanted me to do. My dad told me college would be a waste of my time and his money. Every so often he would in a frank tone of voice tell me that I needed to get a proper haircut, go ahead and start manning up. Because I only had three roads ahead of me. The first one was to let him use his connections and get me hired at Benton Brickwork as a clean up guy. Then with a bit of luck and a lot of hard work I could climb the ladder like him and become a foreman. 

The other choice was to follow in my uncle's footsteps and join the local road crews. My uncle worked with the county and helped keep the roads between Yazoo City and Benton Clean as a whistle. It was a good career I guess. The third and final career choice for me was to go ahead and join the army.

“I gotta find a way to pay for college too.” I added as I peered up into the sky. In my old life I was content in drifting from one day to the next. I never really bothered to plan for anything. But since my meeting with Gwen, things have changed. I felt myself starting to change as a person, my way of thinking was starting to change.  If I was going to live the rest of my life as 'Heather Delilah Soenksen' I needed to start getting myself together.

“Hey Heather!” Cried Gwendoline Potter as she appeared on the scene. She paused and looked around and nodded her approval. “Good job girl! Looking good. Keep this up and I might even make you my full time helper.”

I blushed at the praise.

“Okay, its twelve o' clock on the dot. Break time. Why don't we head back to my cottage. I can fix you something to eat and we can chat and catch up.” She paused. “This would be a good chance for me to learn a little more about my newest helper!” Gwendoline said with a caring smile.

At first I was going to decline Gwendoline’s offer for lunch. But then my stomach started to growl and a small bead of sweat, much like the sweat drop you see on Saturday morning anime's appeared at the back of my head. I'm not going to lie to you, I was a few pounds overweight and I was doing my best to slim down as fast as possible. I really hated how chubby my tummy appeared.

All of the other girls had curving bodies and flat tummies. But my gamer diet of pepperoni hot pockets, mountain dew and instant ramen  had really packed on the pounds. Not a lot, just enough to make me hate myself. Also doordash had proven a thorn in my side as well.

“Can I keep working?” I said blushing. “I still have so much to do..”

“Nonsense girl. You've been going hard for five hours. You need a break, and I need a break too. Besides what we don't get done today we can do another day. Weather permitting of course.” 

Then it seemed that Gwendoline had noticed my stomach starting to growl, she looked up at me and smiled a little smile before shaking her head to the left and then shaking it to the right.

“And besides, it seems like you're hungry. You're a teemager and teenagers need to eat. Come on, the weather app. My phone says it's supposed to get nasty this afternoon. We'll call it a day here and over lunch we'll decide on another day to come back and finish cleaning.”

“Sounds good.” I said smiling and with that I tossed the last few trinkets I'd collected into a nearby waste can and followed Gwendoline back to her cottage. Once we reached the cottage I was ushered inside the cottage and into the kitchen. 

The air inside the kitchen was warm and cozy. Gwendoline and I'd gathered around the old wooden table that seemed to be the center of the kitchen. The lunch Gwendoline had fixed was a simple one, a small bowl of rich, thick tomato soup. And a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Simple, feeling above all southern to the core.

“So.” Gwendoline said as we settled in to enjoy our meal after Gwendoline had said grace 

“So,” Gwendoline decided to start things off. “Tonight is Mischief Night, that is the night before Halloween. Have any plans?” She asked as she stirred her soup with her spoon. “Going to smash any pumpkins? Or do you plan to fork someone yard?” She asked.

I shook my head. 

“Not really, my friends wanted me to help them fork the Potter's front yard.” I said as I stirred my soup. “I told them they really needed to mature or they'll end up alone on prom night.” I rolled my shoulders. 

Gwendoline blinked and blinked again.

“Also they wanted to egg the Brewer House, you know Kayla Brewer, the woman who owns Brewer Christmas Tree Farm and Pumpkin Patch out here on the highway. Her wife is the hostess of the 'Heather's House Party' and their daughter Madeline is the belle of the town.”

Gwendoline nodded her head again.

“I told them to fox off and then scolded them for picking on people. I told them even though those were nothing but harmless pranks. They targeted people in the LGBTQ+ community and they have enough to worry about without two simple minded metalheads causing them trouble on Mischief night. “

“Good for you!” Gwendoline said. “But how did your friends take it?” 

“They said I've gone 'pussy' on them and that if I was going to be such a wet rag on them. I could somebody else to hang out with. I told them fine and so I broke off a friendship that had been solid since middle school.” I said, sighing.

“You can tell a lot about a person by the friends they have.” Gwendoline said. “It seems like that group of friends was nothing but trouble. And I'm glad you've decided to break off that friendship though it must have been hard. I'm sure you deserve better friends. And you will find better friends.”

I nodded my head.

“Yes, it just struck me, that most of my friends wanted to prank people that belong to the LGBTQ+ community. I know Benton for its size has an amazing number of people who fall within the LGBTQ+ banner. I mean you can tell because of the number of rainbow flags are often seen downtown.” I said taking a bite of my ham and cheese sandwich.

“There is some really progressive leadership in the city.” Gwendoline said, “Benton is not really growing, but it's enduring. I mean it's always going to a small town. But it has so much going for it to be such a small town and they do so much. There are some really good people on the board and the mayor is really small business friendly. While other townships in the delta have a kind of dying downtown area. Benton main street is booming. You have so many wonderful little shops and stuff.”

Silence fell over us.

“So,” Gwendoline said as she tried to break the silence. “Since you're not going to go causing trouble through the town tonight. Why don't you spend the night here.” She paused. “We can have a little sleep over. It would be like a slumber party! Oh I could give you a make-over too!” Gwendoline seemed to grow more and more excited with each minute that seemed to tick on by. 

“Sure..” I said blushing a little. “Can I use your phone to call home? My phone is kind of dead.” I said, flushing red. “I kind of forgot to put it on charge last night. And I was going to listen to some creepypasta while I was clearing up. But I'd noticed my phone was dead.”

“Of course.” Gwendoline said. I'd expected her to reach into her pocket and pull out her phone. Instead she turned around in her chair and pointed toward a phone that seemed fixed to the wall. “I don't normally carry my cell around with me. But you can use the house phone. Be sure to dial the area code first, otherwise you'll get a 'This call can not be completed' message.” She said as she returned to eating her soup.

I nodded my head and got up from the table and made my phone call. 

The phone rang at least a half of dozen times before my mom in a half asleep voice picked up the other end. I could tell she was half asleep because she sounded dead. She also sounded spaced out.

“Hello?” Came the groggy voice on the other end of the line. 

“Hey mom.” I said, taking a deep breath. “Would it be okay if I spend the night over a friends house tonight?” 

“Sure,” Mom said. “Just don't cause trouble tonight is Mischief night after all. I don't want to see you making the local paper or News Channel 12 or Three On Your side.” She said trying to inject some humor into the conversation. I could tell though she was still half asleep. And would soon fall fast asleep again.

“Right.” I said looking up the clock that hung on the wall of the cottage. It was one o' clock in the afternoon. Dad should be coming off his lunch break right now. He would still have about an hour or so to go before he could clock out and go home for the day. Dad normally worked the six till three shifts each day. 

“Could you tell daddy about me spending the night at a friends house?” I added it as an afterthought. I felt myself starting to flush red with color. Fifteen year old  boys never called there dad's 'Daddy' normally it was just 'Dad' or 'The old man'. 

There was a pause on the other end of the line.

“Sure.” And my mom discounted the call. Leaving me speechless as I held the head piece. Slowly I returned it back to the cradle. 

“Folks said it's okay.” I said as I turned to Gwendoline.

“Good.” Gwendoline said. “So, if I recall correctly you go to Benton High School.” She said smiling. “I know this for sure, because my niece's best friend attends Benton High School, and they were going to hold their first annual Halloween Dance.”

I blinked and blinked again.

“I was thinking about it, but I don't have a costume.” I said 

“Well, I know Spirit of Halloween just got a last minute shipment of costumes. I'll tell you what. While I wash these dishes and put them away. Why don't you go ahead and get a shower.” Gwendoline said with a smile. “Then you can get dressed. Then we can head into town to collect the supplies we need for our little party. We'll even swing over to Spirit and see if we can't find you that perfect costume.”

“Sounds like a plan.” I said smiling.

“Good.” Gwendoline said. “Now, why don't you go get that shower.”

And so I did. And here another chapter comes to an end

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Comfort Food

Tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich, that's the best comfort food! Adding a slice of ham is inspired!

So, what clothing is Heather Delilah going to wear to the costume store? The work clothes are all sweaty and yucky, not what you'd want to put on after a shower. And what is she going to wear out?

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive