The Witch Hunt Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version

Now that the truth had been revealed, sort of, Zoe didn't feel as much motivation to keep going about her school activities. She did still support the breast cancer awareness club, and she still socialized with Miles and Alan and all her other friends. But since she now knew Skylar was innocent, there didn't seem to be much of a purpose for navigating the social hierarchy at school. Sure, there was still a witch out there, but there were virtually no leads on who it could be.

Fortunately, Zoe did find a purpose at school-the Homecoming dance. The dance would be held on Saturday the 15 in the school's gym, and it would be a pretty big event. People were already starting to ask each other out and make plans with friends to go to the dance.

A week after the disastrous party at Alan's house, Zoe and Miles were sitting at their lunch table and talking about the Homecoming dance. "I know you didn't go to last year's dance," Miles was saying, "But I think you should give it a try this year."

"I mean, maybe?" said Zoe. "Do you want me to go with you?"

"You mean like a date?"

"Uh..."

"I'm actually thinking about asking Avery out to the dance," said Miles. "But you can tag along as a friend if you like."

"Well, I know who I'd like to ask out," said Zoe.

Miles nodded slowly. "Brittany Meier."

"Yes, but she's already dating Isaac Schmidt."

"I guess you could see if you could tag along with them as a friend," said Miles. "If they're already taking a bunch of other friends with them, then it probably won't be too awkward."

"That sounds-"

Zoe broke off when Skylar came up and sat down at their table. "Hey guys," said Skylar. "How's the witch-hunting going?"

"No luck," Zoe answered. "We don't have any evidence, since we don't even know what to look for."

"That sucks," said Skylar. Letting her in on the secret of their witch-hunting had actually been pretty successful. Skylar being as popular as she was, she knew the dirt on almost every girl in the school, so she'd provided Zoe and Miles with hints as to who she thought might be a witch in disguise. But, sadly, none of her pointers had gotten them anywhere.

"Do you know how Michelle's doing?" Miles asked.

"She's not doing well at all," said Skylar. "She came back to me and said she was very sorry for dumping me like she-or he-did."

"And? Are you still mad at her?"

"I guess I'm still a little mad," Skylar admitted, "But I should've learned a long time ago that a boy who cheats isn't the right boy for me."

"Most definitely," said Zoe.

"Speaking of boys," said Skylar, "Are you gonna go with Miles to the Homecoming dance?"

"No, he's going with Avery," said Zoe. "Or, at least, he wants to."

"Is there anyone else you might want to ask out?"

"I wish I could ask out Brittany Meier," said Zoe, "But she's taken."

"Brittany Meier?"

"Yeah. I had a crush on her when I was Zack, and I still do now."

"I was actually talking to her a little while ago," said Skylar. "She was upset because Isaac Schmidt can't go to the Homecoming dance with her. Apparently he has a family obligation that's preventing him from going."

Zoe could practically feel the lightbulb go on over her head. "You mean...she doesn't have a date? I can try asking her out?"

"If you feel comfortable with it, sure," said Skylar.

"I don't know," said Miles. "If Brittany's into guys, then she probably won't go on a date with a girl-"

"It doesn't have to be romantic just yet," said Zoe. "We can just go as friends, you know?"

"That sounds great," said Skylar. "You have Fifth Period with Brittany, right?"

"Right."

"Then try asking her then. See how it goes."

"Alright," said Zoe. "I will."

***

For the next little while, Zoe screwed up her courage to talk to Brittany about the Homecoming dance. By the time Fifth Period rolled around, she was ready. "Hey Brittany," Zoe said when she sat down at their table. "How are you doing?"

"Not great," Brittany seethed. "Isaac Schmidt just bailed on me for the Homecoming dance."

"Oh...he did?"

"Yeah. He said he has a family obligation, so he can't go. And now I have a dress but no date."

Zoe hesitated. She knew she couldn't just come on abruptly to ask Brittany out to the dance. She had to pause for a minute as if she was considering what to do. "Well...I could go with you," she said.

"What?"

"Just as a friend," Zoe elaborated. "We can go to the dance, have fun, maybe dance with some other guys. What do you think?"

Brittany thought for a moment, then said "Sure. That could be good."

It was all Zoe could do not to jump into the air and whoop. "Great," she said. "I'll see if I can find my own dress."

***

Zoe's parents were thrilled when they heard about Zoe asking Brittany out to the Homecoming dance. Zoe was going to ask about getting a dress to wear to the dance, but before she was even done talking, her mom went into the closet and dug around until she found her old high school prom dress. She had Zoe try it on, and to her surprise, it fit her great. So Zoe decided to make that the dress she'd wear to Homecoming.

When the night of the dance came, Zoe's mom drove her over to Brittany's house to pick her up. Zoe went up to the door and knocked on it. When Brittany answered the door, Zoe was shocked by how stunning Brittany looked. Her hair was dyed black as midnight, and she wore a smooth, sexy, strapless black dress. The sight of Brittany looking so hot was almost too much for Zoe. She wanted nothing more than to hug her, and kiss her, and maybe even get into bed with her and-

"Hi Zoe," said Brittany. "You look great."

"As do you," Zoe replied. "Ready for Homecoming?"

"Of course!"

After Zoe's and Brittany's moms took pictures of the girls together on Brittany's doorstep, Zoe and Brittany got into the back of Zoe's mom's car to ride to the dance. When they got to the school's gym, they entered to find it all decked out for the dance. The DJ's sound speakers were blasting music all throughout the room, and a multicolored disco ball cast lights all over the ceiling and walls. Many of the kids there were just awkwardly standing around, but some were dancing to the music and having a total blast doing so.

"Hey guys!" said Miles. Zoe turned and saw Miles in the center of the dance floor, rocking it out with Avery.

"Hi Miles! Hi Avery!" said Zoe.

"So is Miles dating Avery now?" Brittany asked.

"Oh no," Zoe answered. "I'm pretty sure they're just friends."

"I see," said Brittany. "Shall we join them?"

"Of course!"

Zoe and Brittany joined Miles and Avery in dancing. Skylar and Alan came and got in on the act, too. The friends rocked it out, shaking their arms, legs, and bodies to the loud beats reverberating throughout the gym. Dancing with her friends was already fun as it was, but having Brittany there made it even better for Zoe. She'd dreamed of a scenario like this for ages-Brittany being there at her side not just as a girlfriend, but also as a part of a "group of friends" with people like Miles and Avery. Having another person somehow made their friendships' dynamic even better. Zoe was really starting to understand the phrase "the more the merrier."

Eventually, the DJ put on a slow song, and Miles took the chance to slow-dance with Avery. Zoe looked at Brittany and said "Well...do you want to dance?"

"Sure," said Brittany. She put her left hand on Zoe's shoulder and took Zoe's left hand in her right hand, while Zoe put her own right hand on Brittany's waist. The duo slow-danced to the song, reveling in the smooth, peaceful rhythm.

"Are you having fun?" Zoe asked.

"Yes," Brittany answered. "Thank you so much for taking me to the dance."

"And thank you for coming with me." Zoe truly meant what she said. This was exactly what she'd wanted for all this time-the chance to slow-dance with Brittany, to bond with her, to become close in a way nothing else could induce. It might've been the best moment of her life.

So naturally, that meant something had to come fuck it up.

Towards the end of the song, Brittany looked over Zoe's shoulder and faltered when she saw something. "Wait," she said. "Is that..."

"What?"

Brittany let go of Zoe and went to investigate what she'd seen. Zoe turned around and saw what had gotten Brittany's attention, and she couldn't believe what she saw.

Isaac Schmidt had just walked in holding hands with Tara Turner.

"Isaac?" Brittany asked incredulously.

"What-Brittany?" Isaac gasped. From the look on his face, he probably wasn't expecting Brittany to be there, either.

"What are you doing here?" Brittany asked. "You said you had a family obligation!"

"I-well, about that, I...um..."

"You lied to me! You just wanted to come to the dance with Tara Turner!"

"Brittany, please! I can explain-Tara had nobody to go with, and I felt bad for her, so-"

"Then why didn't you just tell me? Why'd you have to make up some bullshit about a family obligation just so you could sneak behind my back and date another girl?"

"Well..."

"We're done!" Brittany cried. By this point, she was starting to well up with tears. "If you're gonna act like that, then we're through! Just-just go! Get the hell out of here now!"

Isaac hung his head. He turned, left Tara, and exited the gym.

When Brittany turned back to Zoe, she was starting to cry. "Brittany...I'm so sorry," said Zoe.

"It's not your fault," Brittany sobbed. "Isaac, he...he..."

Zoe hugged Brittany. "Yes, that was a very bad thing he did," she said.

"Why did I even bother dating him at all?" said Brittany.

"Uh..." Zoe didn't have an answer for that. But she willingly hugged and comforted Brittany for the rest of the dance.

***

A couple hours later, the dance was over, and it was time for Zoe to take Brittany home. Zoe's mom picked them both up and drove them back to Brittany's house. Brittany had stopped crying by the time they got there, but she was still depressed after what happened with Isaac.

Naturally, the wisest thing was for Zoe to escort Brittany back up to her front door. "Sorry again," said Zoe. "About...you know."

"That's okay," said Brittany. "It was still fun, getting to hang out with you and Miles and Avery. Skylar and Alan, too."

"Yeah, it was," said Zoe. "Thanks for coming with me."

Brittany hugged Zoe deeply. "Thanks again for inviting me," she said. "I'm glad someone still cares about me."

"I'll see you again on Monday," said Zoe.

"You too. Goodnight."

To be continued...

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments