The Adventures of Jamie Potter: Jamie's Sweet Sixteen (4)

Printer-friendly version

I took a deep breath as I peered into the full length mirror, the reflection in the mirror showed a young woman with golden blonde hair and the prettiest blue eyes I'd ever seen. That young woman was dressed in a pretty pink gown that seemed tailored to fit every curve of her body. She had a modest chest and a very curvy figure. The kind of body that reminded me of a teenage model. Her hair had been straightened a few hours before and now had a pretty pink bow on top. As I released my breath, it really dawned on me. I was that woman who's reflection I was peering at in the mirror.

It was hard to believe that it had really been two years. I mean I could believe it, but on the same turn of the hand I could not believe it seemed surreal if you catch my drift. I mean in two year's I'd gone from being a stick of a boy to a budding young woman who seemed to have it all. I was a cheerleader, I had a loving family, I had a wonderful boyfriend, I was an national honor student, I was darling of Benton, and I have a group of friends that always seemed to have my back no matter what.

“Wow.” Lily said, taking a deep breath as she peered at me from the doorway of my room. “Again, when you decide to clean up, you really clean up.” Lily said as she strolled into the room. “Now, we just need to get your room cleaned up. Or are you going to keep it like this? Considering you only have two more years before you'll be leaving for college.”

I blinked and turned my head toward my older sister, I gently shrugged my shoulders and decided to have a little fun with her. I mean it was my birthday and I was feeling a little mischievous. So I decided to joke around a little. Maybe even take her back a little.

“I'm thinking about keeping it, I mean I'm sure nine months after I move into my dorm. Mom's going to pop out a new little sister or brother.” I said, smiling softly as I turned back to the mirror. I had to giggle as Lily's eyes slowly widened and all the color drained from her face as she swallowed hard. Slowly she shifted her eyes to the left and then she shifted her eyes to the right.

“There one problem with that.” She said closing my bedroom door. She leaned in and softly whispered into my ear. “Mom's had the 'Operation' after you were born. And dad's shooting blanks. See when he was building the tree house out back. The half finished one, that will never be finished at this point unless one of us pop's out a grandchild for them to spoil.. anyway while he was building it, he kind of drove a nail into his crotch.. and yep.. you can see what happen.”

I blinked and blinked again and slowly turned around and gave Lily a look. Then I felt a cold chill pass over me and I violently shook as that mental image entered into my mind. Now I had undergone something like that operation over the summer before last. Somehow dad had used a family connection with the Bell's to push it through the courts. It seemed the Bell's, the Brewers, and the Potter families were all connected through an old oath. But still Jesus the pain, I could not phantom that much pain...

“You were six years old at the time.” Lily said. “Mom tells me everything still works and their marriage bed is still warm and his performance has oddly increased in the years following.” Lily said, taking a deep breath. “Oh the joys of being the oldest girl of the household. You get to hear all about mom's life including what goes on behind the bedroom door. Remember you've only been Jamie for two years.” Lily paused and sat down on my bed.

I opened my mouth. I was about to put my foot in my mouth when Lily held up her hand. I paused and decided to hear her out.

“Before you became Jamie, you know mom kind of kept her distance from you. I mean, the way mom was raised was it was dad's place to raise you and dad was supposed to be the one who really took you under his wing and showed you the ropes of being a man. I mean mom still loved you, and dad loves you, don't get me wrong okay. It's just dad I'm sure never really had that talk with you when you were a boy, the birds and the bee's talk. But Mom, she told me everything, including how babies were made, and her personal experience with sex. Including her first time and all the times she and dad did it. She also gave a lot of safe dating practices.”

I blinked.

“Oh yes, I guess mom never gave you that talk?” Lily said, peering toward me. She then paused, “Did dad ever give you any kind of talk? I mean when your voice started to change, and you noticed your body starting to change? No one on one talk? No going out for coffee and pie?” Lily asked.

I shook my head.

“I've tried to forget anything that happened before I became 'Jamie'.” I said in an honest tone of voice. “I consider it a waste of fourteen years of living. One reason I'm not so keen on celebrating my birthday today.” I added as I turned toward the mirror. “I guess it seems like I'm living a lie. A big lie,” I said, taking a deep breath.

Lily blinked and blinked again.

“To be honest. You were forgotten about. I mean, mom and dad loved you, but you were forgotten about. You were so quiet, so gentle, so sticking to the shadows that we often forgot about you. Not to sound mean or anything. But mom said you were a quiet baby, you never even really cried that much. And I don't think mom and dad planned to have you, you just short of happen.” Lily added. “It was a bit of bad luck too, I wanted a little sister, instead I got a little brother. And fourteen years later, somehow I got the little sister I wanted, only she came about in a very roundabout way.”

For some reason I felt myself becoming very hot under the collar. I'm not sure why, but I really felt hot and for some reason I wanted to reach out and slap the hell out of Lily. I quickly reeled myself in though. I guess the truth hurts, and you know you've spoken the truth when you’ve cut somebody with it.

“Sorry...” Lily said her voice trailed a little. “I guess I put my foot in my mouth again. But Jamie, listen to me, and I really want you to listen to me.” She said as stood up and walked over to where I sat. “Even though I always wanted a little sister to do girly things with, I never, ever stopped loving you. We all loved you. And all those people who are going to come here tonight, they love you, and all your friends, all of my friends love you.” She said standing over me with her arms crossed across her chest.

“And damn I feel old now. My little sister is turning sixteen and I'm about to graduate.” Lily said, sighing as she eased down upon my bed, she quickly unfolded her arms. “Jamie, there is so much I want to do with you. Like I want to teach you how to drive, I want to see you go to prom. I want to be there when you're presented to society.. along with all the other belle's of this town.” Lily then sighed and leaned back and fell on my bed.

“I never knew how much I would love having a sister, like when you were James, you were just my dumb, bookworm little brother. Like you were cute for the first seven years then you just became annoying and a pest.” Lily said, placing her hands over her eyes.
“I guess if you'd been born a girl you would still have been annoying and you would have been an even bigger pest. You might have pillaged my closet and worn my favorite skirt or blouse. You might have even raided my make-up and tried some on. I'm sure we would have fought tooth and nail some days, but in the end, we would have always made up. Like the very next day we would have snuggled together and watched some movie on the Disney Channel while sharing a big bowl of popcorn. Gushing over who was the cutest.” I blinked and cocked my head toward Lily.

“I guess what I'm trying to say to Jamie is this. I would have loved you either way. If you'd chosen to remain James after homecoming then you would have still been my little brother and I would have loved you.. and now that you're my little sister, I love you even more.” She paused and lifted herself off my bed. “Am I making any sense?” She asked.

“Kinda” I said, letting my voice trail a little. “I will say this, you've opened up a lot more since I've become your sister. I mean it seems we fight more than we used to.” I said, rolling my shoulders. “And it seems I'm always borrowing your clothes and going through your closet.” I added too as I shifted my eyes away from Lily toward the clock that hung upon my bedroom wall. According to that clock I had thirty minutes to collect myself and get ready for my guest.

I inwardly sighed a little. Mom had gone all out on the guest list. Beside all of the 'Potters' and and trust me, there were a good many of them scattered around Benton and the surrounding countryside. Mom had also decided to invite all my friends, including my best friend Madeline and her two moms. And a bunch of other people.

“Hey Lil?” I'm blushing. “Not too rude or anything but would you mind giving me some time alone right now? I kind of need some time to myself for a bit.” I said blushing as I peered into the mirror once more.

Lily slowly raised herself, she tilted her head to the side and blinked. For a long moment she said nothing, then it seemed she understood where I was coming from. She nodded her head again and slid off my bed.

“Okay.” She said walking toward my bedroom door. “I'll give you some time alone. But remember you're the guest of honor tonight. So try not to keep your guest waiting okay? And Jamie, take my advice, lighten up and smile. Today is your sweet sixteen. And you're only sixteen once in your life .” And with that Lily walked off.

My eyes watched Lily as she started to walk away. Once she was gone, I stood up, walked over to my bedroom door, closed it and sighed. She was right, today was supposed to be special and mom and heck mom and dad had been bending over backwards for the last few days to make this a party the town would remember forever and a day. So I supposed I should feel happy about that.

After a moment of quiet reflection I stood up, looked myself in the mirror once more, winked and started toward the door. I tossed my head back and poked my chest out. It was time to go and greet my guest. I was after all the princess of Benton Academy and the princess of Benton! It was time to start acting like a princess !

up
46 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos