Emerging from the Cocoon, Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

----------=BigCloset Retro Classic!=----------

Emerging from the Cocoon
by Torey

Chapter 1

Copyright© 2008 Torey
All Rights Reserved.
This is my first post here. Hope this is correct...
 
This is the story of a special child sent to live with his half sister. The child's true self begins to emerge.
Born a boy, she is really a girl trying to emerge with the help of her sister, who becomes her adopted mother.

 
Admin Note: Originally published on Bigcloset Classic on Wednesday, 04-02-2003 - 12:06 am and migrated to BigCloset TopShelf on Sunday 09-28-2008 at 08:42:47 pm, this retro classic was pulled out of the closet, and re-presented for our newer readers. ~Sephrena
 
 
Chapter 1
 
It was a long flight from Seattle. It gave her time to do a little soul searching. How would accepting her half-brother into her home change her family's life?

She hadn't seen Nicki, as she once known him, since he was four. That was eight long years ago. She finished college early, was about to become a mother for the first time and was seeing her father, who was dying of cancer.

She enjoyed playing with her brother, a blond-headed cherub with curly hair who reminded her of her youngest daughter, Kayla.

"Does he even remember me?" she thought as the plane touched down on the runway in Boston.

It was a sad situation. Her father, Michael Taylor, divorced her mother when she was young. He moved to Boston and later married Nicholas’s mother, Karen, a woman neither she nor her mother ever got along with.

She visited her father and stepmother during the summers and over the holidays. But it all stopped when her father died. She was not allowed any contact with her brother after that.

It was only a month ago that she learned of her stepmother's death. One of her father's cousins told her about it. She became angry when she found out her brother was living with her stepmother's brother and they didn't want him.

They were thinking about placing him in a foster home.

That all seemed like water under the bridge when her taxi pulled up to the high-rise building for her meeting with her stepmother's attorney. She felt a lump in her throat as the elevator reached the floor of the attorney's office.

"Ms. Meggs, Ms. Lawrence is expecting you," the receptionist said.

She walked down the hallway, where a woman in her fifties waited for her.

"You must be Amanda?" the woman said. "I'm Julie Lawrence. Come in and have a seat."

She had to admit she felt like she was in high school, in the principal's office, in trouble.

"Relax, this won't take to long," Ms. Lawrence said. "I have to admit, I was a bit surprised to hear from you. Do you have the paperwork from your attorney. Mr. Michaels seems like a very nice man. He was very complimentary of you."

"They're right here," she said, reaching for the papers out of her brief case.

"They seem to be in working order, Ms. Meggs, or may I call you Amanda?" Ms. Lawrence said.

"Amanda's fine–" she replied.

"I have to admit, I was skeptical when I first heard of your situation," Ms. Lawrence said. "You're only 28. It seems like you have your hands full with an 8-year-old and a 4-year-old. But I'm told you are a very capable accountant and mother, according to references Mr. Michaels sent."

"I wouldn't have applied for custody if I didn't think I could do it," she said.

"What made you decide you wanted custody of Nicholas?" Ms. Lawrence asked.

"He's my brother," she said. "He belongs with me."

"I'm glad you think that way," Ms. Lawrence said. "Too bad my client didn't think that way. She wouldn't have left him with her brother in her will."

"I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want Nicki," she answered.

"Didn't Mr. Michaels tell you?" Ms. Lawrence said. "Nicholas is...well...a gender-variant child...I guess that is what they are calling it now. The Lancasters couldn't handle that. I do seriously wander if you can."

"Mr. Michaels did mention to me something about Nicki crossdressing," she replied. "Are you saying that Nicki's transgendered?"

"I really don't know how to answer that question, Ms. Meggs," Ms. Lawrence said. "Your stepmother never took him to a therapist. She tried her best to discourage his cross-dressing, as have the Lancasters. They think it’s an embarassment. They are looking forward to your taking him off their hands."

That remark she found upsetting. That made her want to take her brother home even more.

"I'll gladly take him off their hands," she said. "I'm ready to take him home where he belongs."

up
307 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This story is very familiar

NoraAdrienne's picture

I seem to remember this story being posted somewhere previously. I hope the author has the opportunity to post the complete story here this time around. I enjoyed the parts that I read earlier.

It Was Posted On Fictionmania

jengrl's picture

I remember when this was posted on Fictionmania. I love the story and I hope that it is posted in it's entirety on here. Great job Torey!

Hugs,

Jen

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

So Sad To Be Unwantedn

because the child is different. That has caused more heartbreak for the child anything else.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

it's all about love & nurturing the spirit

laika's picture

The chapters start out maddeningly brief (I hope you post frequently Torey) and the
chapter breaks seem a little arbitrary. But this doesn't detract from the beauty of this story.
If you want a break from cynicism + nastiness Emerging from the Cocoon is a sweet, hopeful confection.
I found that questions/objections that came to mind as I read one chapter were answered in the next.
I guess you can tell I've read it. And I'll be reading it again here...
~~~hugs, Laika

Welcome to .......

...... the Bigcloset Torey.

I loved this story over on FM and I'm glad that the readers of BC are going to get a chance to read it as well.

Hugs

Samantha

More Please

terrynaut's picture

This looks like a sweet story. I look forward to see how it plays out.

Do I understand the location correctly? Does Amanda live in the Seattle area? I'm curious because I live near Seattle and I'd be even more likely to leave comments if I recognize Seattle landmarks in the story. :)

Thanks and please keep posting.

- Terry

My first thought was...

Diesel Driver's picture

Initially I thought "how can people be so stupid" but then I think back to what I was like in my 20's and 30's and think "oh yeah, Oops."

But things are supposed to be different now, people talk about these situations and it should be more accepted to actually try to understand rather than rejecting out of hand. I'm old, things were different back then. I hope we don't see a resurgence of the old thought patterns like we have with race relations. When I was born there were still segregated restrooms, and other facilities. When I was a teenager, I didn't even know that the "n" word meant a black person. My first inkling of racism is when a young lady in one of my classes turned me down for a date because her parents wouldn't let her go out with a white guy. I've seen a downhill trend lately fueled by close mindedness that is deplorable.

I would hope everyone of every race, gender etc., could treat everyone they meet with respect and kindness instead of derision for the sin of being "different".

Aren't we all different in our own way?

This is a good start. Thanks for posting it.

Chris

Like those other commenters said (back in the stoneage...

that was 2008)
It would be great if you post the whole thing here. Looks like a good start, at least the chapters I've seen so far.

If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

All the Chapters are here

Just click on them on the right from 1 -16.

Sephrena

Where is the love?

Jamie Lee's picture

Even with all the different people around them, the people who are playing spin the house with Nicki are blind to all the differences of the people around them. And they are accepted. But they won't accept Nicki being different? Smells of hypocrisy.

Amanda looks to be the only one who offers Nicki the one thing the others haven't. Love, unconditional love.

Others have feelings too.