In God's Hands

Printer-friendly version

"Your son is in God's hands now," the doctor told her as she sat by her son's bedside.

"In God's hands," seemed almost like a a cruel joke to a woman who until just a few weeks earlier had been a gentle pastor's wife of a small southern Baptist church.

Outside the door, slumped down, was the fiery pastor she had married when the two attended seminary in their younger twenties. A security guard kept him outside at her wishes, as well as countless others from Midland Baptist Church.

Now, they were "praying" as her baby clinged to life. A few short weeks ago, they labeled the child "a queer, a faggot, a monster." They were offering help and "compassion" now after kicking her husband out of the pulpit and her family out of the parsonage and onto the streets.

Their crime? They were the family members of a child who lived outside the gender box from which he was born.

Her husband blamed that child for "messing up his calling," and had sided with the church in hopes of being returned to a pulpit someday.

That child blamed himself ... or herself ... and made the decision to take his own life. The pills the 14-year-old found were effective enough. Even after the stomach pump, the child known as Samuel Phillips now laid in a coma, kept alive by a breathing machine and a few other machines and tubes.

Hannah Phillips was once a woman of faith, but now she fought anger against God, her husband and members of "the church" who were suddenly praying for her and her son after seeming to want to stone him and hurl insults at him until word spread about the drug overdose.

She tried to pray, and squeezed the hands of her daughters, Sarah and Ruth, who surrounded Samuel's bedside. Sarah was 16. Ruth was 12. Like their brother, they grew up in church, believed in Jesus. And they stood steadfastly by their "sister" when the doctor pretty told their family it would take a miracle for Samuel to pull out of it.

The young, black headed child who laid peacefully in bed seemed to be the perfect pastor's son. He know the Bible from Genesis to maps as well as any Bible college student. But deep inside the child wrestled with an identity even Hannah had told him "was sinful."

She backed up her husband, Bro. Nathan (as he was called by his small congregation) as he quoted from Deuteronomy that "a man should not wear what pertains to a woman, and a woman should not wear what pertains to a man."

Samuel did his best to fight "the temptations," and deny what he was feeling inside.

"Maybe I just don't believe I Corinthians 10:13 enough," he confessed once to his sister Sarah.

But he found himself dressing more and more in her clothes, and that of Ruth's. He was more interested in doing things that were "girl's" pursuits, although he also liked things boys did as well. He loved dance, music and art. But he was also a pretty good baseball player.

His Mom didn't see anything wrong with the ballet (boys could do that), or playing the flute. The crossdressing, she became aware of and tried to put a stop to, as did his father.

But Sarah and Ruth saw Samuel's struggles, and eventually became supportive. Samuel confided in him that it wasn't just about the clothes, that he yearned to be a girl like they were. And Hannah, too, would eventually become more supportive, even though she wrestled strongly with her convictions that would Samuel was doing "was a choice."

At first, Samuel kept his feelings only to family members. But eventually he shared his feelings to his two best friends, Megan and Shelley. They supported him and even encouraged him to join the high school band's color guard with them, which drew a little attention.

He would dress up with them at their homes. They became a little daring, and went to the mall with Samuel dressed. He was a convincing girl, his friends told him. His sisters also agreed.

One day, he ventured out on his own, going dressed to the town's library. It was there he was spotted by a church member and things began to unravel.

He was sent to therapy at the suggestion of the church board. His therapist was a "Christian" psychologist who was a firm believer that gay people could be made straight.

Samuel tried his best to open up, and to make an effort to suppress his feelings and have "more faith."

It did not work.

And because church gossip is as much a sport as college football in the South, word spread. Rumor had it, the pyschologist himself was one who let word get out that Samuel couldn't suppress the feelings, expressing his concerns in a prayer circle.

Since he could not bring his son to "repentance," Bro. Nathan was voted out as pastor of Midland Baptist Church.

He did his best to rescue his reputation by making a decision to throw his son out on the streets.

But Hannah, Sarah and Ruth stood by Samuel. Their husband and father ended up leaving himself.

But it wasn't enough. Samuel dealt with the insults of a church, community and even some at school and made the decision to take his life.

It turned out to be a wake up call for the community. Students who hardly knew the Midland High School freshman organized a candle light vigil outside his hospital window. Vigils were also held at some of the churches.

But Hannah, her daughters and Samuel's closest friends wondered just how genuine those feelings were.

Hannah couldn't help but think of the biblical Hannah as she prayed one more time to plead for her child's life.

That Hannah was childless and vowed her firstborn son would be given to the service of the Lord, and kept her vow after the birth of her son, Samuel.

This Hannah's prayer for her Samuel was quite different.

"If you let her live Lord, I will raise her to be a WOMAN of faith!," she vowed, with her daughters at her side.

"It's in God's hand's," she whispered to her daughters.

up
198 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

too true, too often

well written, but hard to read. I'm so glad I found a body of believers who have no problems with me.

DogSig.png

I am glad you have, too!

I have known too many religious people who don't realize how much harm that they do with their actions, no matter how well meaning they are.

It's not just religious

Brooke Erickson's picture

It's not just religious people. Our entire society has this blind spot where we think that "good intentions" should *guarantee* "good results".

The world doesn't work that way. Good intentions backed by actual *knowledge* as to the realities (as opposed to wishful thinking and ignorant "but that's the way it is *supposed* to work attitudes) *can* result in good results.

But that's just with hard "physical" type matters. When you are dealing with many other things, you are adding in the fact that people *don't* have the same wants, desires and needs. And that can make "good intentions" even more dangerous. Especially if the people with the "good" intentions are of the "different is *wrong*" persuasion.

Just as intending to help a malnourished child may be a good intention, if you feed him bread and he's a celiac you'll make him worse and do *permanent* damage. All because you *assume* that what's "right" for you is right for him.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

I am glad you have, too!

I have known too many religious people who don't realize how much harm that they do with their actions, no matter how well meaning they are.

God's Hands indeed!!!

Andrea Lena's picture

In most states, there's no such thing as a Christian psychologist. Any presentation of a personal nature regarding religion by a professional is subject to censure and even loss of professional license. You can counsel from a Biblical perspective, but cannot label yourself as a psychologist.

And if what was said about the rumors, there's a blatant violation of 'doctor'/patient confidentiality. I've seen too much of this stuff go on; well-meaning but underqualified and biased 'therapy' that isn't therapeutic at all! (Been there; over-done that!)

And sadly, I've seen too many throw away their own family to hold onto a ministry; the huge mistake is that ministry of any kind cannot be effective at the expense of one's own spouse and children even if it appears successful.

I really love the parallel between your family and the Biblical account in I Samuel. Hannah shows herself to be a woman of principle and a great example to her daughters of what faith truly is. Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

In the South ...

You can sort of get away with promoting yourself as a Christian therapist. And churches and religious organizations often steer people to them.

This shouldn't be viewed as an indictment of all people of faith. I've known some very wonderful people of faith and a few great churches. And I consider myself a person of faith.

This might be the closest thing to autobiographical that I've written on here. It is from this culture that I have come and I have wrestled with some of the same issues as Samuel and Hannah.

Love,
Torey

In God's Hands made me cry

for the child and her family. Can the Family heal from the hurt caused by the narrow minded congregation? Is the Wake Up Call for real? Do they truly accept and support the girl child? Please, continue this story!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

KUDOS

very well written ,so true & sad . I hope the lord listen and she makes a recovery :-(
Thanks for the story

Our local "Christian" Church is banning the Boy Scouts!

Ole Ulfson's picture

Not in their church, by God! This from a church named after Christ who preached universal love and acceptance. Love your neighbor as yourself came with no caveat about LGBT. Christ left no loophole.

http://now.msn.com/southeast-christian-church-boots-boy-scouts

But not everyone in Kentucky is as bigoted as they:

http://www.kentuckynewera.com/web/news/article_f07e9b3c-ccc6...

Then people wonder Why I'm not really into religion though God is important in my life...

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

They sacked me too!

I was a member of the Foursquare International church in Hillsboro, Oregon. When they found out about me, they had me sitting in the center of a prayer circle, saying to me, "You are a pervert, you need to repent, you will go to hell ...". All that did to me was make me remember the abuse and hate of my Stepfather who repeatedly said he would kill me. I'd had those feelings from about 4 years old, as is typical of many of us.

Here I was in my early 50's and my life was literally exploding. Gone is the blazing anger and the hot tears while I think of ways to burn that place to the ground. They aren't worth it. I still fight on, quietly just living my life out in peace. None of those people from my old life even care what happened to me.

So hot was my anger that I said to them that they could take their "plastic Jesus and put it up their duff".

Nearly 10 years later, I am extremely happy, with real friends and back with Heavenly Father.

Those people were unspeakably evil to me, but not as much as Jesus Christ.

Gwendolyn

I know this one...

I know this story from the inside...

I was raised in an extremely "Christian" home and very nearly was that kid, but I didn't have the right pills and couldn't cut deep enough.

Thank you for this Torey, it really hits home.

Abby

Battery.jpg

In God's hands

There are those out there who claim to espouse the word of God and represent him on Earth. They commit acts of barbarism and cruelty that defy belief. Like all readers here, I am tg and these sick individuals have taken away my faith. I have lost all respect for the Catholic church. When I attend mass, I don't even respond to the so called prayers of the priest. Yes there are nuns and priests who live the example Christ laid down, but they are in the minority.
Christ associated with tax collectors, lepers and Mary Magdalene withouot a problem. The church claimed she was a prostitute, she wasn't. There was a second Mary who was. The church deliberately misled people into thinking she was this other woman. How can so called Christians, such as those in this story, be responsible for deadly harm to a child and claim they are Christian? Christ would be incensed if he was alive today, to see the faith he died for, be perverted like the modern so called Christian faith.

And the local clique wonder

I have always given generously of my time, talents and money. However I was seriously ill a few years ago and, recently, my sight and mobility have deteriorated. Have I received a visit or even a brief call? No.

I know that there are churches that do as Jesus said but, sadly, not where I live. I haven't been inside a church for several years.

S.

I lost my faith years ago…….

D. Eden's picture

And my gender dysphoria was only a part of the reason. Yes, like many of my sisters, I prayed fervently and frequently to God - never to turn me into a woman, but rather to fix me. To make me one or the other, man or woman, but not the miserable thing stuck in the middle that I had become.

Of course, my prayers went unanswered. I read this as an answer to my hubris, my arrogance at asking for something for myself. It seems that when I prayed for others my prayers were answered - but never for myself.

But this was no what cost me my faith. Rather, that was a result of my time in the service.

What loving God would allow the evil that exists in this world to be? What God would not be outraged at the things that I have seen? What God would allow his faithful to be forced to do the things I did to defeat the evil he would not crush?

Yes, I have done things which have stained my immortal soul, and I will be damned for them. That is what cost me my faith.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus