Prom Cinderella

Printer-friendly version
Going to the prom wasn't what Jesse thought it would be like...

 

Prom Cinderella
By Torey

Copyright © 2013 Torey
All Rights Reserved.

 


Image Credits: Title Picture purchased and licensed for publishing from

123rf.com. The model in this image is in no way connected with this story nor supports nor conveys the issues and situations brought up within the story. The model use is solely used for the representation of looks of the main character of this particular story. ~Sephrena

Divider licensed free for use in publishing from Photoshopgraphics.com ~Sephrena.


 

 
"Hold still, I'm not quite done with your hair," my sister said as she applied the final coat of hairspray.

"I've got to sneeze, and if I do, I feel like I'll bust out of this dress," I exclaimed.

"Welcome to my world, little sister!" my sister Grace said laughing.

"Somehow, I figured your first prom to be quite different," my mother said as she zipped up the back of my dress.

"Yeah, mom, me too," I said looking down at the sequinned purple dress that matched the green one my sister wore.

"I am so proud of you for doing this for Eric," Grace said.

"Me, too, kiddo," Mom said. "It's a very brave thing to do."

Eric Church was actually the brave one. He came out as gay a couple of years ago, and had put up with a lot.

He and his mother, and two girls who are lesbians at our school, put up a fight with the school board so he could bring his boyfriend, Rick, who goes to another school, to the prom. The girls wanted to go together.

After much bitter debate, not to mention monster media coverage, the school board relented.

Rick was a bit flamboyant and was going to go as the girl. And the two girls, one was going as "the girl" and the other as "the guy."

Eric and Andi (short for Andrea), the "two guys," chipped in for a limo. They had everything planned.

They had everything planned ... except for the part where Rick got beat up badly at his own school, and was still in the hospital.

The kids at our school, except for a few hotheads, rallied to Eric's side. The faculty did, too, for the most part.

But Eric was crushed. He was a senior. This was his prom, his last chance.

So how do I fit into this story?

Eric pretty much grew up with Grace and I. He was a senior like Grace, I was but a lowly sophomore.

When Eric announced he was gay, Grace and I were among the few friends who had his back.

I let Eric know a little secret after he made his announcement to the world. I had always had feelings I was transgendered. Grace knew, but I hid it from just about everything else. He was cool with it, as she always had been, and understood why I wanted remain hidden.

How I became his date really started with a conversation on a park bench. He was depressed. I was trying to cheer him up.

"You know, there is a girl who would be your date, all you have to do is ask her," I shyly said.

"You know I only date guys," Eric said, but then he thought for a second and realized I was talking about me.

"You mean you?" Eric asked almost awkwardly.

"Well, I mean, I don't want to make Ricki jealous," I replied. Ricki was Rick's name when he was en femme.

"Actually, I think Ricki would be totally cool with it," Eric said as we got up from the bench.

As we walked passed the flower garden, Eric told me he had to do things right.

He picked a flower and handed it to me.

"Jesse Allen Tanner, would you be my date to the prom?" he asked.

I smiled. Maybe it was the girl in me who appreciated his sweetness.

"Why of course, Eric Myron Church, I will be your date," I replied.
 

 
"Hope you know what you're getting yourself into," Mom said when I told her that night. "I think it's cool you want to stand up for a friend, but something like this?"

Fortunately, it helped to have a reassuring sister who was probably even more gung-ho about the idea than even I was.

Grace was going to the prom with the starting quarterback. She was also a leading candidate for prom queen, as he was for king.

"I'll be there to make sure nothing bad happens," Grace said. "Besides, everyone knows that Jesse and Eric are friends, not dating. They'll think it's cool Jesse is standing up for Eric."

For the most part, Grace was right when word spread that I was going to be Eric's date for the prom. There was an incident where I found a sign with the word "faggot" tape to my locker, but several of my friends told me to ignore the sign.

"I'm sure it was some complete idiot," my friend Alli assured me. Grace agreed.

The moment of truth came when we had to "sign up" for the prom. The sign-up sheets were at a table in the school lunchroom. The two people going to the prom together had to sign the sheets together (to prevent pranks of someone being signed up as a date for a "prank). The exception was if you signed up with a date from another school (then you were on the honor system.

I was a little nervous when I got in line with Eric, but was amazed at the applause we received.

"It seems to be you're a star," Eric said with a laugh.

"I think it means we're stars, I guess," I said as we approached the table.

I think it helped Grace was working the table with Mrs. Hutchison, the senior class sponsor.

"Sign the blue sheet, Mr. Church," Mrs. Hutchison said.

Grace smiled and handed me the pink sheet to sign.

"I'm proud of you for doing this," she said as I signed on the dotted line. "You know how many sophomore girls are envious of you getting to go to the Junior-Senior prom.

I rolled my eyes.

"So Mr. ... or should it be Miss Tanner, word has it you will be wearing a dress? Mrs. Hutchison asked.

I shook my head yes.

"Don't worry Mrs. Hutchison," Grace said. "It's going to be tasteful. Jesse's going to be beautiful."

I blushed.

"I think they better be glad it's you instead of Ricki," Eric said as we were leaving. "Rick is my soul mate, but he is sooo Lady Gaga. You're more like the girl next door."

"Gee, thanks, I guess?" I said, still wondering what I'd gotten myself into.
 

 
I was fortunate that Mom already knew the owner at Southern Elegance, the main shop in town where you rented prom dresses. She rented plenty of dresses through the years when she was required to go to formal dinners, and for whatever pageant or function Grace attended, including last year's prom and a few homecoming dances.

Sophia Cofer was an open-minded shop owner who had actually already heard word about my "date" and offered Mom a two-for-one deal for dresses for me and Grace to show her support for what she believed to be a good cause.

I was a little embarrassed when I walked into the shop with Mom and Grace. There were a few other girls in the shop with their mothers looking for prom dresses. I got plenty of stares and smiles, and a couple of Grace's friends decided to take part in our little adventure to pick out dresses for themselves and us.

They would hold up dresses for themselves. And one for me. Fortunately, Grace locked arms with me and assured me she knew what she was doing. She was maybe an inch taller and a little thinner than I, but we were similar in size.

She eyed the identical purple and green dresses and immediately said "us!"

"That is so us, the Tanner sisters," she said, beaming.

I was a little bit nervous with the phrasing. I mean, everyone else heard it.

"You know I'm saying it in good humor," she whispered.

Fortunately for the both of us, she picked out matching pairs of flat sandals to wear with the dresses.

"It's hard enough for me to walk in heels," Grace said. "I can't imagine what it would be like for you."
 

 
I sat and looked at the mirror for what seemed like a long time. I was stunned with the girl who seemed to be looking back at me. I almost broke into tears ... deep down I wanted to be that girl. I went the whole 9-yards with breast forms, shaving my arm pits, chest and legs. I wanted to look the part.

My sister walked back into the room and gave me a hug.

"God, you look gorgeous," she said as she sprayed me with the same perfume she wore.

We walked down stairs and let Mom take what would be the first of maybe 100 photos before we left the house.

We heard Robb pull up in his jeep. Robb was Grace's boyfriend. And Grace lamented the possibility her hair would get messed up on the way to the school.

"Damn!" Robb said as we walked out of the house to greet him. "I mean, really Damn, Jess. Look it you!"

"I know, amazing, right?" Grace said. "Wait'll everybody at school see how beautiful Jess is."

Just then, the pink limo I would be riding in pulled up.

"Look Cinderella, your chariot just pulled up," Grace said, to which I elbowed her.

Eric stepped out of the limo dressed to the teeth in his tuxedo. The girls, Andi and Mya, remained inside the car as we went inside to humor Mom.

Grace and Robb had their picture made together, followed by me and Eric. Then it was both couples together. Then Robb took pictures of Mom and her "daughters" before prom.

Eric pinned on my corsage, while Robb pinned on Grace's. Mom was snapping pictures the whole time. Eric slipped and poked my breast form.

"Good thing it's not real," I laughed.

Grace and I then pinned on the boys boutineirs, and then it was time to head on to the main event.

"Girls sit over here," Mya said as we climbed into the limo. It took me a second to realize she was talking to me. We were facing Eric and Andi.

"Woah!" Andi said. "Eric, you didn't tell me you were taking Miss Glamorous here. Aren't you afraid Rick will get jealous?"

"Oh, no," Eric said. "I think Jesse's more your type. Too girly for me."

"Truth," Andi said. "Maybe the first time I could say that about a boy."

We had a good laugh about that one.

"Let the boys have their fun," Mya said. "But you really do look beautiful."

"You do, too," I said of my punk-rockish fellow "girl," who had pink hair and wore a leather jacket over her ballerina-style dress.
 

 
There were a couple of reporters, photographers and camera men waiting on us when our limo pulled up to the school.

I whispered to Mya that I was afraid I was stealing a little bit of Eric's thunder. He was the real hero in all of this, not me.

"Oh, no," Mya said. "You guys are both rock stars for this."

Eric fit the part all right. He pulled out a pair of sunglasses as he stepped out of the limo and pulled me by the hand out of the limo.

He didn't have a problem doing interviews. I admired him. He wasn't flaming. He wasn't flamboyant like Ricki was.

I think one reason most of the students at our school rallied around him was because he was so cool about it. He was comfortable in his own skin. He didn't make comments on how "cute" the other boys were or make passes at them. He was just "Average Joe" ... except that he happened to like boys.

"I am amazed how you are able to be yourself," I told him as we walked into the school, arms-locked.

"I think today you're getting to be yourself," he whispered back. "Don't tell me you're not having a good time being Cinderella."

"Truth," I whispered.

But shortly after midnight, I would revert to being Jesse with an "e" at the end and not an "i."

"Girls take a left at the end of the hall, boys to the right," Mrs. Hutchison said as we prepared for senior lead-out.

Senior lead-out is where seniors enter the gym by couples, and they are introduced before hitting the dance floor. If one of the couple was a senior, the other participated. Eric was the senior, so I would be participating in lead-out.

"Congratulations Jesse," Mrs. Hutchison said. "By the time your senior year rolls around, you might become the first person in school history to have experienced both sides of lead-out."

Mya and I laughed, although somehow I wished I'd remain on this side of it. But then again, once I reverted back to my boy self, there would also be the remote possibility I would have no date to the prom.

Some people went stag. I was not the type to go it alone, boy or girl.

When we entered the girls room to get lined up, there were quite a few surprised looks on faces of girls and female faculty members getting us ready.

"Oh my God, Grace, Jesse is gorgeous," one of my sister's friends said.

I also heard the word adorable a few times. I blushed, and tried my best to fight the embarrassment.

I heard quite a few "he (or she, which was thrown around a few times) looks like you" comments directed at Grace.

"Well, the women in our family are beautiful," Grace said with a laugh as she pulled me to her side.

I was fortunate. Lead out went in alphabetical order of the girls participating. I was right behind Grace in line.

Lead out was interesting. As each couple was led through the door way, the girl's name was announced first with the phrase "she is being escorted by." The song "Whole New World" from "Aladdin" was played as we walked out.

There was loud applause for Andi and Mya. They had their supporters, too, which was really awesome. It their moment, too.

Of course, Grace and Robb had loud cheers, too. They were after all, Mr. and Miss Popular.

Then was our turn.

"Miss Jesse Tanner is being escorted by Mr. Eric Church," Mr. Pendley, our principal, said at the microphone.

The gym erupted in applause. The weird thing? Mr. Pendley didn't make any distinction when he announced our names.

It was if we were among the hundreds of straight "boy-girl" couples who had been participating in this ritual since our school held its first prom years ago.

We couldn't wait to hit the dance floor. The music was varied. We had faced rock songs. We had slow "romantic" songs.

Eric was amazed I had no problem letting him lead during the slow songs. He was also amazed how well I handled the dips and the finger turns.

"Well, the few years I had of ballet did help me be a little more flexible for the dips," I told him.

We took a break and sat down with a few of our friends. Eric and a few other guys went to get us some punch. Grace me by the arm to go with her and a few of her friends.

There were five of us "girls" getting our picture taken with our dresses hiked up, showing off our legs with garters, with boys whistling."

"Dear God, I hope they're not whistling at mine," I laughed.

"Oh, they are, I'm sure," Grace said as we walked back to our table.

Just then I accidentally stepped out of my sandals.

Martin Sims, one of my fellow geeks who was there stag, picked it up as I sat down at the table.

Eric and friends just arrived with our drinks.

Martin nervously asked Eric if he minded if he put the sandal back on my foot.

"Go right ahead, she's just a friend," Eric said. "My boyfriend's in the hospital."

"Thanks a lot!" I said sarcastically. "You really know how to make a girl feel good."

I blushed as Martin noticed my purple toenail polish matched my dress.

"Thank you, you're a prince," I said as he finished putting my sandal on.

"Oh, Eric, I think Martin has a little crush on my little sister," Grace said with a laugh.

"I think you're right," Eric replied with a laugh.

"Oh stop it!" I said. "I think it's about time we hit the dance floor."

It wasn't long after that, they announced the results of Prom Queen and King. To no one's surprise, Grace and Robb were crowned.

Then Mr. Pendley announced that the senior class had come up with a most inspirational couple award.

"Eric Church and Jesse Tanner!" he announced much to my shock.

Robb placed a smaller crown on Eric's head. I knelt as Grace placed a tiara on mine.

I hugged my sister, still slightly embarrassed by the surprise.

I looked up at the clock and saw that it was just a few moments before midnight. Pretty soon, our prom adventure would be coming to an end.

Andi, Eric, Mya and I decided we'd go grab a fancy dinner at IHOP. It was a magical evening, but we were all about ready NOT to be the center attention.

Eric went ahead to open the door to our chariot ... aka ... the limo.

Just as I was walking past the school fountain, my sandal fell off ... again.

Walking behind was Martin and a couple of his buddies.

He smiled as he scooped it up.

"I think we've done this before," Martin said as I sat down at the fountain and wiggled my toes, ready for him to put it back on.

I winked at Eric as he patiently waited at the limo.

"I've got a confession to make," Martin whispered. "You look really amazing as a girl. I hope this isn't weird to say, but I really wished you were my date."

I smiled. I asked him if he had a piece of paper and something to write on.

Much to my surprise, he did.

I wrote down my number and asked him to text me sometime.

"Thank you, sweet prince," I whispered, and then kissed him on the forehead before walking to the limo.

Eric winked as I got ready to climb into the limo. I kissed him on the cheek and thanked him for being my date.

"Maybe, someday I'll be like you, and start being who I really am," I said.
 
 

 
 

The End

 
 

up
319 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Loved It!

I really loved the whole thing, Very sweet!

I "know" that it's a "one-shot" story, but I would LOVE to see it continue. ( ... think about it! )

Sapphire

I may entertain a sequel

But I have at least two (actually three or four) chapter stories still hanging and just haven't had time to do.

So I'm concentrating on short stories, so when I disappear for a while because of life happenings, I won't leave readers hanging like I've been known to do.

So if it's a sequel, it may be another short story. But the muse may need to give me a plot first.

Torey

To be...

Andrea Lena's picture

...who we really are. Easy to say; difficult to do; but absolutely necessary no matter what! A lovely story. Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Sweet!

Jessi needs to keep her dream alive. After all, in the end Cinderella wins the prince and gets to be a princess, I think Jessi can do just as well!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

So Nice

I strongly agree with you Mate. She's character is impressive with her unique role. She can be a best example for young girls who search How To Do New Hairstyles

Wonderful Story

This is a totally believable story with a very contemporary perspective. It is great TG fiction, but also inspirational for those who want to see a more accepting and tolerant world.

Hiker_JPG_1.jpg

It is more plausible now days ...

I have two kids the age of the characters in the story.

I've found the Millenial generation much more tolerant than the previous generations. While bullies persist in schools, more of a larger percentage of kids at school rally around gay and trans students.

Torey

I'm a pollyanna, so ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

I think this story is wonderful, ...

... though in reality some jerks at the dance would try to beat Jessi up, there'd be a weird religious cult outside damning him and/or her to hell, and paparazzi lurking everywhere trying to get scandalous photos.

That's why I like tgFICTION. :-)

BE a lady!

Why can't ...

... stories like this be the way the real world is? Not just for a few lucky souls, but for all of us.

I cannot imagine hating someone just for being different. And I cannot understand those who do.

Is it a manufacturing defect? If so, is it theirs, or mine?

T

Really enjoyed this.

Thank you very much for such a beautiful, sweet short story.

Melanie E.

sweet story

wish that had been my prom ....

DogSig.png

Very sweet! :)

Nothing like the magical night of the Senior Prom for the graduates.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Cinderfella

That was so sweet, I feel like I have to brush my teeth again. :)

I wouldn't mind reading a continuation or two, if your muse ever inspires you to do so and you can fit it into your busy schedule...

Lisa

Suspending disbelief

There is one thing that causes a problem in this. Them going to a "fancy dinner at IHOP". It really tries my suspension of disbelief! I mean, really? IHOP?!?! ;-)


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

That is the one part based on real life

I have seen prom goers end their nights at IHOP, Waffle House and Steak and Shake. And a few who went bowling in their prom finest.

Also meant to be sarcasm

I forgot to put quotation marks around "fancy"

That is the one part based on real life

I have seen prom goers end their nights at IHOP, Waffle House and Steak and Shake. And a few who went bowling in their prom finest.

A simple, straight-forward story

Through this well-written, lovely story, I relived my high school years of nearly 70 years ago, when I yearned to be one of the pretty girls in a light blue strapless gown. I'm sure many of your readers did the same, wishing they also had shown their true nature for prom night.

No need to add chapters to this story. It stands alone as a sweet short story and that's fine. Of course, I might be fun to see how Jessi develops.

Surprisingly wonderful read!

The "Prom Story" has been done so much, I have to admit that I was expecting to be disappointed by little more than a sloppy string of clichés. But wow, was I wrong! This was a great, fun, realistic read with absolutely nothing over the top. Thank you for the smile on my face!
.
.

Capture_0.jpg
The girl in me. She's always there,
still waiting for an invite to the prom.

I came close to not doing it ...

For much of the same reason. I checked for prom stories when I was about halfway through, and thought this is a story that's way overdone.

But I wanted to put a different spin on it, so I finished the story and posted it.

Thanks, means a lot what you've said.

Sweet read

I am impressed by both the flow of the story and it's believability.

Cute, sweet story

except of course the part about Ricki being beaten up at school.

please continue

this story is so good please wright more of this story like how he comes out of his shel and becomes her self

A charming story

Haylee V's picture

I wonder about the next prom, though. Will Andi be Jesse's "girl"? (Sorry. Just couldn't resist the pun... LOL.)

*Kisses Always*
Haylee V