I Wish Book 5: Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version
candle.png
Shannon O'Reilly was bullied and everything his older sister wasn't. When his sister Sarah gives him a chance to change things through a single wish things don't go as planned.

 
 

I Wish: Book 5
Chapter 7
Onward

By
Amethyst
“I thought I was Jockette,” I grumbled. I should have just worn the White Witch outfit.

 


 
Author's note: Here's chapter 7 of book five of I Wish. Thanks once again to my readers for their support and to the Big Closet staff.

 

“Rebecca, do you know how to use a gun?” I asked as I tried to decide what we might need for our travels and looked over the holdout weapons that Annie had insisted each of us keep inside our porta-bunkers. They were for emergencies where we couldn’t use magick and I was pretty sure that the current situation qualified. It would be nice to have some sort of ranged option for self-defense since most of our abilities at the moment required us to get up close and personal in a fight.

“Only from what I’ve seen on T.V. I never wanted to hurt people that bad,” I heard her mumble behind me as she approached. From the corner of my eye, I could see Rebecca’s eyes widen as she took in the Remington pump-action shotgun and the Desert Eagle Mark XIX. “Holy shit, where the fuck did you get those? Are you some kind of secret gun nut?”

I shook my head and sighed. “Nope, but my sister’s Personal Assistant slash bodyguard is an ex-cop and a huge gun enthusiast. She thought that if we were all going to an unfamiliar Plane that we should have holdout weapons just in case something went pear-shaped. She made sure that we all knew proper gun safety and maintenance and had us all practice a bit with the weapons she picked for us during some of our trips to Tír na nÓg to sneak in some extra hours of training for Lisa and Michelle.”

“Tír na nÓg?” she asked, raising an eyebrow as she turned her gaze from the guns to look at me.

“It’s the Plane where the Faery live, though there aren’t many of them left. My cousin and her Mom are both Faery and so are Beth and her Mom, but they started out as human as you did. Beth became one when I accidentally made her my Familiar and her Mom had her dormant Faery blood awakened on purpose about a month ago. Sarah and I have some Faery blood too, though we don’t look like it. Anyway, time passes just over four times faster there than on our own world so a six-hour trip there let us get like a full day of training and a little downtime,” I explained.

Rebecca gave me an exasperated look. “Your life sounds fucking crazy; Faery relatives, fighting Demons, learning magick, visiting other worlds, and a modeling career on top of school and the other stuff, how the fuck do you manage to stay sane?”

“Well, I’ve kinda gotten used to things since my birthday, when all of this started. Family and friends help though, and being able to use magick and help keep people safe is cool. I don’t have magick right now though and the only way that we can protect ourselves is up close and personal. I’d really rather not have to fight another tuskreaper or something similar that way again though, so we might need these guns,” I admitted.

“I dunno,” she said uncertainly. “I’ve never used one before and I don’t want to risk doing something stupid and hurting one of us.”

“I’ll give you a quick lesson on gun safety and let you get some practice in before we pack up camp and get moving,” I promised before getting back to figuring out what we might need to have on hand for our trip.

There wasn’t really much that we needed to keep on us except for the weapons and with my backpack needing to be repaired, I couldn’t have carried much anyway. As long as I kept the extendable tent poles near the entrance of the bunker for easy reach, I figured that I could probably get away with just keeping the canvas cloth for the entrance of the bunker and a few other small items on me. If we needed food or drinks or anything else one of us could just hold the entrance up while the other went through to get them.

I was a bit worried about the cold though since the night before had been pretty chilly and we were going to be flying. So, after a dinner of some nice hot stew and some crackers and a can of Diet Coke each, I worked on trying to figure out what we could wear. My White Witch outfit would keep me comfortable in just about any weather but my wings would pose a problem with that. I would have to cut slits for them into the back of the dress and the cloak and corset could both be particularly problematic. I also might need the disguise later so I felt it better not to try to mess with it.

I started by keeping my navy bathing suit on. It was one of Giselle’s designs and the whole reason I was wearing it was that it was backless and tight enough up top would keep my chest from jiggling too much. It tied in place behind my neck and hugged my chest like a second skin until it connected to the bottom half with a two-inch gold metallic ring over my belly. The nice part though was that the bottom half had a snap so it could be disconnected from the ring which made it a lot easier to go to the bathroom. I guess that technically made it a two-piece bathing suit, but I didn’t care what it was called since it suited my purposes at the moment.

I put on some warm black fleece leggings, a pair of warm socks and my sneakers, and another one of Giselle’s designs that actually went with the leggings. It was a warm black fleece zip-up hoodie with hot pink accents and kitty ears on the top of the hood, It hugged my body almost all the way down to my thighs and had an adjustable mask inside the hood to cover the mouth and nose when it got cold that had a design of a kitty nose, whiskers, and mouth on it. The sleeves ended with built-in fingerless gloves and had these flip-up ‘paw’ covers that could be pulled over the gloves to make them into mittens. It even had a fuzzy tail attached to the back, just above my butt.

That outfit was so warm and cozy and I felt instantly horrible about cutting a pair of slits in the back where I guessed my wings would emerge before putting it on. I was totally going to buy another one when I got home. I also almost accidentally removed the kitty tail when I went into Succubus mode and my own tail punched a small hole in the back of both the leggings and hoodie. I guess I was right about where to put the wing slits though since there was no pain or ripping when those emerged.

Now that I was changed and knew that I wasn’t going to have to replace any clothes. I quickly added the holster belt for the Desert Eagle, placed the gun in the holster, and a bunch of those huge bullets in the ammo pouch before putting on one last thing. It was a simple-looking quartz pendant on black twine which I secured around my neck and slipped beneath all of my layers so that it was resting against my skin. I sighed in relief as I felt it’s magick, but I hoped that we wouldn’t need it.

For Rebecca, I found a pair of thick pale blue leggings to go with the dress, socks, and sneakers she was already wearing as well as a pair of gloves and a scarf in case she got cold up there. We added her hoodie after making sure to cut some slits in the back. She would also have the bandolier of shotgun shells and the shotgun after I gave her a basic firearms lesson.

“If you get cold up there, let me know and I’ll see if I can find some stuff for extra layers,” I told her once we were both dressed. Figuring that she might be uncomfortable being seen naked, or seeing me that way, I had allowed her to change in the privacy of the bunker while I did so outside.

She took one look at me and started laughing her ass off. I sighed and rolled my eyes as she giggled away and when she finally managed to speak it was interspersed with laughter. “Pfft! Omigod, Nerd-girl, you look like the fucking cat in the hat, all you need is that fucking striped hat!

“I thought I was Jockette,” I grumbled. I should have just worn the White Witch outfit.

“Nope, with all that fucking science stuff earlier and wearing that ridiculous outfit you are definitely a nerd, or maybe a geek.” Rebecca paused for a moment in thought before nodding. “Yup, definitely a geek, Geek-girl.”

“Hey, I’ll have you know this is really warm and comfortable! It’s cute too, I modeled this for Giselle Collette’s winter line,” I snapped.

“You actually let someone take pictures of you wearing that?!”

“You’re just jealous,” I muttered as I turned away and headed back outside. Oh well, at least it put a smile on her face.

“Nope. I’ll give you credit for guts though. That’s not an outfit I would wear, I would not wear it anywhere. I would not wear it in this lair. I would not, could not ever dare,” she managed to get out behind me between giggles.

Once we left the bunker and Rebecca had stopped laughing, I carefully untied the entrance cloth from the tent poles and placed them just inside the entrance before carefully folding up the cloth and putting it inside one of my hoodie’s inside zippered pockets. Then I taught Rebecca everything that Annie had drilled into our heads about gun safety and usage. Only when she had all of that down did I let her take a few practice shots to get used to firing a shotgun, the kick, and proper breathing when firing.

We used the tuskreaper’s head as a target and she managed to do okay with the five shots I let her fire. It took her a few shots to get used to the kick but once we were finished I was fairly sure that she wouldn’t shoot either of us by accident. I would have let her practice her aim more but I didn’t want us to risk using too much ammo that we might need later. Aiming wasn’t as big a deal for her as with the gun I would be using since she was using buckshot and she really just needed to keep the weapon pointed in the right general area.

After Rebecca managed to settle the bandolier and shotgun strap in place so that neither would interfere with her wings in flight, we took off in the direction where I sensed Ziralin. We needed to get some traveling done before the sun rose and I wanted to get away from there in case anything like a tuskreaper decided to investigate the sound of Rebecca’s target practice. Shotguns tend to make a lot of noise.

With the light of the two moons to guide us and our wings to carry us, we quickly ate up the miles, the black dunes passing beneath us in a blur. We stopped once during the night to give our wings a bit of a rest and to make a quick meal, but as soon as we felt ready we were on our way once again. We managed to get some good altitude and caught a wind current that was going in our general direction and rode that for a while to not strain our wings too much.

As we flew, we tried to keep our eyes open for anything unusual, dangerous, or possibly useful on the ground below. Personally, I thought that anything other than barren desert would have been wonderful. It was almost dawn when we saw something just ahead, there was some sort of light down there.

Rebecca was the first to see it and maneuvered closer to get my attention. ‘Hey! Shannon!”

Once I turned my head toward her she pointed downward in the direction and when I saw what she pointed at I could feel my eyes widening. “Let’s check it out!”

As we circled our way downward my heart was beating a mile a minute, especially when we got close enough to figure out that it was a campfire. There were also a pair of smaller lights that I thought might be lanterns. Could it be Sarah and Annie, or some of the others? I counted what looked like maybe four figures but it was hard to tell since I was using night vision at the moment and looking too hard at the lights as we got closer was killing my eyes. I pointed to a spot a good distance away from the apparent campsite and went in for a landing with Rebecca following behind.

We really needed to work on those landings. Okay, sure, we didn’t crash and we managed to stay on our feet but I wouldn’t exactly call us stumbling along the ground graceful, or any other remotely complimentary adjective. “That looked like some sort of a campsite,” Rebecca said, echoing my thoughts.

“Yeah, I thought I saw four shadows that could be living things, maybe even people, but they weren’t moving and that light made it difficult to see. I didn’t want to risk coming down too close in case they’re not friendly. We’ll sneak a bit closer and find a spot where we can watch long enough for our vision to adjust,” I replied.

Rebecca nodded in agreement as she muttered softly, “Night vision is awesome, but it takes way too long to adjust to normal or bright lighting again.”

We made our way carefully toward the light in the distance, our senses keyed to any sign of danger. I was nervous as hell and so was Rebecca so we kept conversation to a minimum. Finally, we crept to the top of a large dune overlooking the campsite and laid on our bellies to get a closer look. Once our eyes adjusted to the light enough to see details rather than blurry shadows Rebecca hissed, “That is not anyone that either of us knows. You’re the great magical extra-planar explorer, Geek-girl. So, what the fuck are those things?”

I shook my head in confusion. On all the other Planes I had been to or Demons I had fought I had never seen anything quite like what I was looking at right then. “I think they must be the locals.”

© 2013-2021 Amethyst Gibbs
All Rights Reserved
up
138 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

With Shannon's luck

Amethyst's picture

They probably aren't ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

The story will be better

Stoney1's picture

If they aren’t friendly, and in fact have some of the others held captive. Good to see Shannon and Rebecca finally moving and making progress. A desert eagle is an awesome weapon, especially if you no longer have a holy lance to throw.

Stoney1

FANTASY IS ALL IN YOUR HEAD, BUT THEN SO IS REALITY. SO WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE?

Cautious

Amethyst's picture

Regardless, Shannon is going to want to be cautious when approaching these people, whoever and whatever they are. I thought the Desert Eagle would be appropriate since as a collector Annie would likely have one, they have good stopping power and I could see Shannon whipping it out if she had to.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

If you make a life out of

If you make a life out of wandering around in a desert, you end up paranoid and untrusting of strangers. It doesn't make you unfriendly, but it'll sure seem that way.

Someone who would poison a well? Dead meat. They threaten not just a person, or even the entire local family, but anyone that needs that well or watering hole for months, if not years.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Desert Dwellers

Amethyst's picture

They're usually not the most trusting folk, and there's generally a lot of bandits and such trying to survive at the expense of others out there so that's completely understandable.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Maybe it's the others

Stoney1's picture

with glamours on for some reason. But, probably not. No magic for glamours. Rebecca needs to be reminded of the name calling and branding that she hated from the popular kids, when she starts on Shannon with the nerd-girl and geek-girl stuff. She has acknowledged that she doesn't know how Shannon stays sane with everything going on in her life, but is giving little credit where it is due. Wake up, Becca! Shannon is right, Rebecca is still jealous, when she should be considerate and grateful.

Stoney1

FANTASY IS ALL IN YOUR HEAD, BUT THEN SO IS REALITY. SO WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE?

Others

Amethyst's picture

Ellie and Ziralin could produce glamours since they produce their magical energy from their metabolism but Shannon would have sensed it was Ziralin immediately. Rebecca isn't really used to having friends and her only real exposure to the pretty and popular people has been the abusive kind. She's also not really sure what exactly Shannon is to her now and she's trying to figure that out. She does appreciate what Shannon has done for her but she's also trying to cover up all the grief and fear she's feeling because it's her natural defense when feeling vulnerable. The snarkiness and 'teasing' is to help Becca distract herself from what she's really feeling so she can cope with everything going on. Shannon can understand that so she's letting it go for now.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Locals

Or other interplanar travelers? Hmm, if they have a campfire going then either there is enough wood in the vicinity for a campfire or they're carrying enough wood (or whatever) with them around. So there might be a forest or a savanna nearby. Hmm, do they have marshmellows? ;-)

Thx for another nice chapter^^

Dried animal manure burns, at

Dried animal manure burns, at least when the animal is an herbivore, and the food is high in fiber.

I can attest to cow patties being light to carry, and burning easily, and at the stables where I worked for a while, all the manure was dumped in a pile to be slowly burned (first it dried, then it caught on fire, etc. you dumped the next load where the last load ended, so the fire worked its way in a circle).


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Yeah, you made good points,

Yeah, you made good points, there. But in order to have manure, there have to be herbivores in the end (unless the ecosystem of this planet is completely different). And therefore vegetation. Now I'd rather burn wood then have the smell from the burning manure flowing around. That is just, eewwww.

Burning manure doesn't really

Burning manure doesn't really have a horrible smell. It's just digested grass, after all.

If you travel from oasis to oasis, for example, you browse at each one, and then they have time to recover as you make your circuit. You gather the manure as you go along, and the burned manure becomes fertilizer as you go. It doesn't take long to dry in that kind of environment.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Could be

Amethyst's picture

It's possible they could be other intraplanar travelers, but unlikely. Even if they are they could be just as stuck on Nhekar as Shannon and the others. They have some source of fuel for the fire (could be wood, coal, or manure) which does seem to hint that the entire planet isn't a desert at least.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

I'll Bet

The locals are not the trusting welcoming kind. At least Shannon and Rebecca now have non-magic weapons to deal with hostiles if it becomes necessary. I wonder how far away their friends are.
I hope you are feeling better.

>----(^_^)----<

Rach

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Could go either way

Amethyst's picture

Shannon will want to be cautious and they do have mundane human weapons now to help them, plus their inherent Succubus abilities. There is also the mysterious pendant that she put on under her clothes, it was magical in nature and something that she was hoping to avoid using it seems.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Tell us more

I'm looking forward to reading more. It's nice to see Rebecca feeling better.

Rebecca

Amethyst's picture

She seems to be feeling better, or at the very least is trying to cover her real emotions and focus on the tasks at hand. She's still being snarky and kinda mean but that's her defense mechanism when she's hurting.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

What's great

Stoney1's picture

is that you're feeling better. So happy that you're getting well. Please take care of yourself.

Stoney1

FANTASY IS ALL IN YOUR HEAD, BUT THEN SO IS REALITY. SO WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE?

After That Cat in the Hat Exchange...

...(best laugh I've had in weeks) my first thought was that they've landed among a family of Whos and Shannon will be welcomed as a long-lost relative.

Less facetiously, though, while I understand the reason the other commenters are assuming they'll be adversaries, I'm not so sure. Since they seem immobile at the present time, I'm not even sure there'll be a confrontation.

I guess Occam's Razor leads us to conclude that they're responsible for the campfire, as opposed to being the dimensional equivalent of moths drawn to the flame and dying, and that they're not in a state of long-term hibernation, unless fires are self-sustaining here. So they'll eventually be ambulatory, probably after sunrise. Keeping a fire lit at night suggests that there are wild predators around who will avoid it, and that there aren't sentient enemies who would be attracted by it.

But none of that means that they'll be able to communicate with Shannon and Rebecca, or that they have any answers if communication does turn out to be possible. (Ziralin clearly isn't nearby, or Shannon would know it.)

Eric

There wasn't even a hint that

There wasn't even a hint that the locals(?) are hostile. If Shannon is able to eavesdrop on the locals and isn't able to recognize the language then it might be even advisable to skip the camp and move on. Figuring out communication in this case might take too much time. But it might me a good idea to try to memorize the position of the camp.

Cat in the Hat

Amethyst's picture

I was laughing my ass off writing that exchange. I was all like 'okay so Shannon has this cutesy warm outfit, how will Rebecca react?' Becca may be a girl but she's not into the cutesy stuff and since she's snarky by default when she feels vulnerable the whole exchange kinda grew from there.

Shannon will watch and listen, and most likely try to avoid a direct encounter unless she sees something of interest. The presence of a campfire does hint at several things, though things could indeed work differently on Nhekar as well so nothing can be taken for granted yet until they know more.

With the Celestials not having much, if any, contact with Nhekar and the amount of time that has passed since they did, it's unlikely that the Nhrakarians? Nhekarites? would have a language that would be familiar to Xuriel, and thus Shannon.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Every time

TheCropredyKid's picture

Every time i see the book title with its number {i.e., "I Wish Book 5"} the first thing that comes to mind is "What if Apple bought Sears' old catalog sales division?"

 
 
 
x

*snerk*

Amethyst's picture

That's hilarious, I got a good giggle out of that.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Brainstorm

Woke up yesterday morning with the idea that the reason there's no magick here is because whatever civilization still existed after the sun burned out used up all the magical energy in the remains of the solar system to build a new sun. The "cracks" are ley lines that keep the magical process ongoing.

But it doesn't work. Under those conditions the new sun would be emitting magical energy along with its normal radiation (light, heat, etc.), and Shannon ought to recognize it even if it was too diffuse for her to use.

Also, at the time ratios our group was considering -- six months in Nhekar to one Earth day is only about 180 to 1 -- there hasn't been nearly enough time (12 billion years or so) since Jalael's lifetime for the Sun to have gone nova and then the resulting white dwarf have faded to black. If that's really the case, the Nhekar plane's time ratio has been increasing asymptotically, which doesn't seem consistent with this universe.

So we can most likely scratch the replacement sun theory, at least in that form. I suppose it's possible, since magick works differently on each plane, that it was so powerful on this one that a concerted attack by enough users could reshape the sun or the planet(s), and did so after Jalael the Serene wasn't around to cool things down -- and that the only way to prevent complete destruction was to magically eliminate magick entirely. But I don't like positing someone or something that strong.

Eric

What if...!

tmf's picture

What if the magic was not use to create a new sun, but to maintain it.?

A possibility

Amethyst's picture

That is a possibility, as it would seem more doable than creating a new one.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Interesting theories

Amethyst's picture

There are a few things that don't seem consistent with the universe they're in though. As for someone reshaping the sun and planet and getting rid of magick entirely, that would be extremely frightening because we would have to be talking about God-like powers to do something like that. And someone like that, even if they did exist, going to such lengths to protect one world would have to have an extremely good reason for doing so. Which would make me wonder, 'what's so special about Nhekar?'

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3