On the Highway Chap. 6

Printer-friendly version

Jochen couldn’t believe the thunderstorm he was traveling through. Lightning was striking off in the distance but seemed to be getting closer to his location. He hopes it doesn’t get too close.

As he is driving, Matilda picks up an emergency signal being broadcast on military frequency.

“This is convoy 4, we’re under attack. We need help.” The transmission goes dead.

“Matilda, lock back onto that transmission.” Jochen brings the HUD system online.

“Unable to lock onto the signal.” Matilda’s female voice echoes in the cab.

“Why?”

“Signal is being jammed at the source.” Matilda shows the location of the last transmission.

“Plot a course to that location.” Jochen notices the location wasn’t too far from where he was.

“Plotting the fastest route.” Matilda shows the route on the HUD.

“Matilda, contact the ranch.”

“Contacting the ranch.” Matilda logs onto the secure satellite connections.

The Ranch:
“Oh, what a beauty you are my new drones.” Joe runs his hands down the sleek forms of the new Raven attack drones that Aero Flight Industries sent to the ranch.

They were replacing the older models that they have been using for special missions. Joe couldn’t believe he had received the new drones today. Normally, the ranch was the last to receive the new models of anything.

“Hey Joe, we have an incoming call from operator twenty-five.” Annie was on monitoring duty when she received the incoming call from Matilda.

“What do they need?” Joe never received a distress call from operator twenty-five before.

“I’m finding out now.”

Matilda:
“Go ahead operator twenty-five, what is the emergency?”

“We just received a distress call from a government convoy. According to the transmission, they are under attack. I’m diverting from my planned route to their last known location. I’m unable to contact them, because of jamming on their end.” Jochen hopes the convoy is alright.

“You’re unable to contact the convoy, give me their last coordinates.” Annie wonders what could be jamming the signal.

“Sending information.” Jochen sends the last coordinates of the convoy.

The Ranch:
Annie watches as the coordinates appear on her screen. She programs the coordinates into one of the orbiting satellites belonging to Aero Flight. She manages to get access to one of their satellites that were in the area. There was heavy cloud cover as it brings up a visual image of the area she was looking at.

She notices that two of the SUV convoy trucks protecting the government eighteen-wheeler were damage. Four heavy armor military vehicles were trying to stop the eighteen-wheeler carrying whatever cargo it had. She brings up Matilda’s location and notices it was almost to the location.

She calculates the flight time for the Ravens to arrive. She figures Matilda would have to buy her some time.

“Joe, we need to launch now, if we're to get there in time to back-up operator twenty-five.”

“Alright, send Raven one and two. We’ll keep Raven three on standby.” Joe releases the tie-downs on the Ravens and prepares them for launch.

Matilda:
When Jochen arrive in the area of the transmission. His communications are jammed. He spots four military vehicles. Three of them were MRAP APCs and the fourth was an armored Humvee.

“Matilda, switch to combat mode and secure, Sidney.” Jochen didn’t want Sidney falling out of the rack while he helped the government truck out.

Jochen watches as the special armor built into the trailer surrounds the trailer. A special energy field surrounds Matilda herself. It was still experimental and was supposed to repel bullets and such.

“Let’s see how powerful their engines are.” Jochen preps the battering ram and head for one of the MRAPs.

He increases Matilda’s speed and rams the rear end of the nearest MRAP. The ram absorbs the impact and causes the MRAP to flip over. The speed Matilda was traveling at, and the battering ram mounted on the front shakes her.

Sidney is woken up from the impact and finds herself under a clear dome. She notices that Jochen was busy in the driver's seat. She feels Matilda shake as Jochen slams into the Humvee.

The Humvee tried to avoid the oncoming eighteen-wheeler but was unable to. The driver of the Humvee had no idea who the driver of the oncoming eighteen-wheeler, was but they try to avoid them. The Humvee goes flipping as the eighteen-wheeler hits it. The microwave device on top of it goes flying off.

Matilda shakes as it hits the Humvee. Jochen just smiles as the extra power of Matilda sends it sliding down an incline. Jochen notices that communications were being jammed. So, one of the two MRAPs had jamming equipment inside of it.

Jochen notices one of the MRAPs turned around and was coming straight for him. Sparks start bouncing off the special shield protecting Matilda. Some of Matilda’s systems start acting up.

“What the hell!” Jochen watched as the HUD system starts flickering and Matilda starts slowing down in speed.

Minor systems inside of Matilda start shutting down. Jochen has never experienced anything like this before. He tries shutting down a few systems and tries turning them back on. The collision alarm starts sounding as the MRAP gets closer to Matilda.

The special shielding protecting Matilda starts flickering as the power to it is affected. Jochen watches as the MRAP gets closer to him and just as it was about to slam into him, it explodes.

Jochen avoids going through the wreckage just in time. He spots the other MRAP explode as well. He watches as two dark objects fly over him through the ceiling windows.

The other eighteen-wheeler starts slowing down and pulls over. Jochen tries communicating with it.

“Convoy 4, this is special operator twenty-five with Blake Industries. Are you alright?” Jochen waits for a reply.

“Special Operator twenty-five, this is convoy 4 driver. I’m fine, but several of my escorts have either been hurt or killed.” Mike was a little shaken but hopes the worst was over.

“Alright, I’ll have a medical crew come out and take care of your people.”

“Thanks, special operator twenty-five.”

“You’re welcome. Do you have any idea who attacked you?” Jochen knew Janet was going to want to know who they were.

“No, I have no idea who they were or what they used to combat us.” Mike was surprised by the attack on him and his escorts.

“Alright, let me get medical out here. Those black objects you saw, belong to the company I work for.”

“I’m just glad you guys showed up when you did.”

Jochen contacts The Ranch to let them know he needs a medical team at their location. He gets back in touch with Annie and requests a medical team.

up
185 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sounds like Microwave

Samantha Heart's picture

Sounds like they are using microwave technology.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.