The Family Obligation Part 6

Printer-friendly version


*^*^* The Family Obligation *^*^*

By Jamie Lee


Part 6

Author’s Note: This is another of my Jane Thompson ‘what if’ stories that’s been hounding me night and day, demanding it be written. The issues within this story are much darker than in any of my previous stories, told by a seventeen-year-old boy who witnessed the horrible treatment of the children by two families, if said children made it known they would not participate in any forced marriage. Reader beware, while what takes place is not told in great detail, it nevertheless can be disturbing. Also, there are flashbacks throughout the story, which may seem a bit confusing at times. ~ Jamie Lee ~

The Webster and Dorman families were brought together by the rescues first by a Dorman young man of a Webster young girl, then two years later a Webster young man of a Dorman young girl, and ensuing love which led to marriage when they each turned eighteen. Because of the first two marriages, other marriages, because of love, occurred between the Webster and Dorman families. But a little over one hundred and fifty years later, the then head of the Webster and Dorman families believed everything told of those first marriages to be lies. They were lies because no one married because of love, only opportunity, so those first two marriages had to have been forced. And it was at that point the love that had blossomed as a result of two rescues, that had brought two families together, was perverted, and a little over one hundred years of hell began for the two families. A hell that was Family Punishment for any Webster or Dorman child who failed to comply with the Family Obligation of marriage when they turned eighteen. And love be damned.

Seventeen-year-old Stephen William Webster and his nanny, Better Wilcox, finally blow the whistle after the murder of thirteen-year-old Rachael Dorman because she refused to be forced into a loveless marriage. Stephen and Betty must be hidden because people from the Webster and Dorman families are hunting him, thinking he is running away from a forced marriage. Betty makes contact with three of her former University sorority sisters, and together they formulate plans to hide Stephen at the one place unknown to either the Webster or Dorman families, the Winsome Girls’ School for Wayward Boys. Jane Thompson’s home.


Part 6

While Marie was with Rachael, Jane had watched Jenny by way of the hidden camera in Jenny’s room. She was doing much better, having fewer and fewer episodes breaking down from the loss of her parents. She only had one this morning. Jenny had reached the dining room just before Rachael and Marie, but continued on to the kitchen with Marie right behind her. Jane came out of the Study, walked into the dining room and asked Rachael, “Did you sleep alright? No nightmares or anything?” Betty had told Jane of the nightmares Stephen had had over the years, more so after a murder took place. Rachael’s murder seemed to have laid heavy on Stephen’s soul, because right after her death he had nightmares every night since; the last hour and a half of his journey on the train was the most restful sleep he’d had in some time. And it continued with his sleep last night. “No, Aunt Jane,” Rachael replied, “I slept very well, like the last hour and a half of my journey here. I guess I knew I’d be safe and cared for while here, unlike with those who called themselves my ‘parents.’” Rachael used air quotes when she said parents, and lightly dabbed at her eyes, trying not to ruin the excellent job she did on her eyes. “Rachael, you are safe here, and we do care about you,” Jane said in a rather husky voice. Jane still couldn’t comprehend how two families could be so cold as to kill their own children, simply because those children refused to take part in a forced marriage when they turned eighteen.

Jane schooled herself as Jenny came out of the kitchen carrying two dishes ladened with part of their breakfast, Marie came out right behind her with the rest, before all four took their places at the table. Jane was firm, but gentle, with Jenny as she reminded Jenny to sweep her skirt towards her legs as she sat down; Jenny practiced that action five times before everyone was able to enjoy a fine breakfast. There were other deportment corrections made as Jenny became a bit too animated, several times, while explaining something to Rachael. Jane didn’t let Rachael off either, as she corrected Rachael several times, Rachael knowing what Jane was doing by the wink Jane gave her before the corrections; they were all for Jenny’s sake. And for Jenny’s sake, Rachael only replied with, “Yes, Aunt Jane. Thank you for pointing that out. It was something I was unaware of doing.” Both gave the other a smirk to show each understood the other.

[~~~~**~~~~]

Once the dining room table was cleared of breakfast dishes, and the dishes and kitchen cleaned, Jane had both girls go to their bedrooms and freshen up their makeup, as they had appointments at the Marisha Chalet. For Rachael’s benefit as well, Jane reminded Jenny, “Jenny, please make sure to bring your purse, you seem to have trouble remembering that when we go out.” Rachael winked at Jenny after what Jane said, and Jenny just giggled as the two girls climbed the stairs to their bedrooms. The wink from Rachael and the giggle from Jenny were not lost on Jane, she was pleased by Jenny’s reaction, though she couldn’t let Jenny know. Rachael was having a positive effect on Jenny, hopefully that would continue.

When the two girls returned downstairs, Jane inspected each girl, checking their makeup and clothing. She had to admonish Jenny about not acting like a young lady when Jenny had been too exuberant coming from her bedroom. Again Rachael winked at Jenny, and Jenny held back a giggle, until Jane, smiling, led the two girls out to her car. Jenny’s shell was starting to crack.

It wasn’t long before Jane and the girls pulled up in front of the Marisha Chalet. After Jane parked her car and shut off the engine, the three got out of the car and walked into the Chalet, where Carolyn greeted all three as they entered. Jane took a seat as Sandy took Jenny back to her station to “deal with the rat’s nest Jenny was wearing.” Carolyn gave Sandy a warning-look not to go overboard with Jenny, but Sandy just blew Carolyn a raspberry. Carolyn just shook her head, as she led Rachael back to the booth where Rachael would experience her first waxing.

“Okay, Rachael, let me explain what I’m going to do before we get started,” Carolyn said to Rachael as she guided her over to one of two chairs in the room. “I’ll have you completely undress, and have you put on a robe. Then before you lie down on that table,” and she pointed to the table where waxing took place, “I’ll have you remove the robe, lie on your stomach, and will start with the back of your legs. The wax will be a bit uncomfortable because it has to be warm enough to spread out but not hot enough that it burns your skin. I will then put stips of paper on the wax and when it’s set up a bit, and this will sting a bit, rip it off your skin. I will apply a lotion which will help relieve the sting you’re going to feel, but it’s something us girls have to endure.” Carolyn let what she just said sink in, and when Rachael nodded her head, she continued with, “From the back of your legs I’ll work my way up your body, including your butt crack. Then I’ll lotion what’s been done and give you a bit of a rest before continuing with your front.” Carolyn watched Rachael carefully, to make sure she understood what she had been told. All she saw was Rachael’s head hanging down, and her chuckling, saying, “Oh, joy, a hairless butt crack, what else could I possibly want.” Then she laughed outright. Carolyn too. “Now this is important, if at any time you get thirsty, you tell me right away. I don’t want you getting dehydrated and passing out on me. Okay?” Rachael simply nodded her head, thinking, ‘The price to pay to stay hidden, oy.’

Carolyn got out a clean robe, told Rachael to completely undress and put the robe on. She started to leave the room to make it less embarrassing for Rachael to undress, but never reached the door as Rachael had removed her socks and shoes, her dress and slip, her bra, and started pulling down her panties when Carolyn spoke up. “Um...Rachael, wouldn’t you be more comfortable undressing the rest of the way if I wasn’t here?” Carolyn looked to the ceiling, rolled her eyes, and shook her head when Rachael asked her in an impish voice, “Do I have anything you haven’t seen before?” Carolyn playfully shook her fist at Rachael before saying in a rather small voice, “no. Go ahead, finish undressing.” And the two women had a good laugh.

Carolyn found Rachael’s pain threshold rather high, as she only let out a peep when her groin and chest were waxed. But, she really didn’t have a lot of hair on her legs, arms, back, or butt. As promised, Carolyn used lotion everywhere except Rachael’s chest, explaining she would glue on breast prosthetics and didn’t want the lotion to interfere with the adhesive. The point of attachments were lightly marked out, adhesive put on Rachael’s chest, the prosthetics placed and Carolyn had Rachael hold them in place for a few minutes. While the adhesive was setting, Carolyn left Rachael lying on the table and went to get a bra the right size for Rachael’s new breasts. Once she returned she helped Rachael sit up, and showed her how to properly put on the new bra, making sure the breasts were well seated in the cups. Carolyn then told Rachael to put her panties back on but leave her dress, slip, and socks and shoes off, they had one more thing to do. Rachael rolled her eyes, looked to the ceiling and said, “A corset.” Carolyn laughed and told Rachael, “You got it in one. Follow me.” Rachael had been in a good mood while getting waxed, but that changed as she followed Carolyn to a room and started following her in. But stopped dead in her tracks.

Carolyn had walked into the room then turned around to face Rachael, intending to tell her what they were going to do. But what she saw scared her more than anything, as Rachael was standing in the doorway, violently shaking and just as violently shaking her head no. What Rachael did next scared not only Carolyn but Sandy, Jane, and Jenny as well. Still violently shaking, Rachael started backing up and was saying louder and louder, “nonoNoNoNONONO…” She fell down backwards, landing hard on the floor, and crabbed herself backwards right into the chairs that were behind her, and didn’t stop trying to get away. All the while screaming at the top of her lungs, “NONONONONONO…” Carolyn was frozen at the sight of Rachael in a full blown panic. Jane arrived first, followed by Sandy and Jenny. Jane got down on the floor with Rachael, grabbed her in a fierce hug, and gently told her, “It’s alright, Rachael,” over and over again, until Rachael finally started to calm down. “It’s not what it looks like, Rachael,” she also said softly to Rachael, as she got calmer. “It isn’t what it looks like, Rachael, it’s okay, you’re not there. You’re here with Sandy, Carolyn, Jenny, and me. It’s okay, sweetheart.” At those last words of Jane, Rachael savagely hugged Jane as she sobbed on Jane’s shoulder, again having just relived what was done to Rachael Dorman. Jane realized at that moment it was not possible to keep things from Jenny any longer, she had seen Rachael’s breakdown; she would also have to explain things to Carolyn and Sandy.

As Rachael quieted down, but was still fiercely holding Jane, Jane told the three why Rachael reacted as she had just done, at least the main parts. Sandy’s reaction was familiar, with a “Aw shit, what a mess.” Carolyn’s more in line with Jane’s, as she said, “How had that girl stayed sane all this time?” And Jenny, Jenny did something that surprised Jane by coming up, wiping tears off her own cheeks, getting down on the floor, hugging Jane and Rachael, telling Rachael, “It’s okay sis, I’m here.” Rachael lifted her head, looked at Jenny and said, “Thank you, little sister, that means a lot.” Rachael let go of the hug with Jane and transferred it to Jenny, where Jane, Sandy, and Carolyn left the two girls while they went to have a private talk. Out of earshot of Jenny, Jane told Carolyn and Sandy everything Rachael told her. And why Rachael broke down so severely just now. Now she had to decide what to tell Jenny, since she too had seen Rachael’s violent incident.

The three women walked back to where they’d left the two girls hugging on the salon floor. “Rachael, please let Carolyn and Sandy help you up and get you freshened up. I want to talk with Jenny for a while.” Jane had crouched down and softly said this to Rachael, getting a nod from Rachel, and watching as the girl kissed Jenny on the cheek before telling her, “Thanks little, sis.” Sandy and Carolyn helped Rachael to her feet before taking her to the back of the salon for something to drink and eat. Plus anything else she needed.

Jane helped Jenny stand, then led her to the salon office, where she again emphasized how serious the situation was with Rachael, admonishing her not to repeat what she was about to hear. Jenny two fisted tears out of both eyes before telling Jane, “I’d never do anything to hurt my big sister, Aunt Jane. NEVER!” This time the tears just rolled down her cheeks. Jane had to smile at Jenny’s reaction, since she’d been so depressed before Rachael came. Now in the past few days, that depression seemed to be lifting, all because of how Rachael treated Jenny. “This may be hard for you to hear, Jenny, but I believe you need to know the real reason Rachael is here with me. You see…” And as with Carolyn and Sandy, Jane told Jenny the whole truth and why Rachael reacted as she just did. Jenny had to constantly wipe tears from her eyes and cheeks, but she listened to every word Jane said. When Jane finished, Jenny didn’t say a word, but got up out of the chair she’d been sitting in, walked out of the salon office, and headed towards the back of the salon. Jane followed, and watched as Jenny opened the door at the back of the salon, walked through, walked over to where Rachael was sitting, with Sandy and Carolyn nearby, grabbed Rachael in a fierce hug and cried on the girl’s shoulder. Rachael gently held Jenny while she cried, wondering what had upset her so. Rachael gave Jane a questioning look, receiving a mouthed, ‘I told her everything.’

Jenny had been with Jane for the past two months, and during that time neither Sandy’s curt attitude, nor Carolyn’s sweet attitude, or anything Jane and Marie had tried, did any good pulling Jenny out of her depression. And the three were shocked, while Jenny still fiercely hugging Rachael said, “Those bastards killed my parents. And for what, nothing. They didn’t have any money in the house. Why’d they kill my parents, Rachael? Why?” In the entire two months, this was the first time Jenny mentioned the death of her parents in a burglary of their home. The two men were looking for money in order to buy needed drugs to feed their habit. “I heard daddy tell those men there wasn’t any money in the house, but they said he was lying, and I heard one of them hit daddy with something. That’s when momma screamed and I climbed out the window and got up on the roof; they couldn’t see me from the window or the ground. Stupid assholes, they left plenty of prints behind and the police caught them a few days later, trying to hold up some people on the streets. I heard they will die before they get out of prison. Did they really have to kill my parents, Rachael?” Rachael reached up and wiped tears off her checks, as did the three other women. Jenny’s shell cracked open this morning, she was going to be alright now. And Rachael would be there to help.

Everyone’s face was a mess after all the tears and meltdowns, and Sandy went and got the needed items to make repairs. Once repairs were made, Jane and Carolyn sat down with Rachael, while Jenny went with Sandy, and explained to Rachael what it was she saw in the room. After explaining it was used to help tighten the ties on a corset, Rachael let her brain process it for what it was and not what her memories told her what she saw. When asked if she felt better, Rachael nodded, and the three walked back into the salon and the room to fit Rachael with a corset. Jane and Carolyn heard Rachael mumbling to herself as they walked into the room, and then the entire time the corset was tightened around Rachael’s torso. They chuckled when Rachael asked, “How...does...a...woman...breathe...while...wearing...one...of...these...things?” And Carolyn replied, “By taking shallow breaths.” She went on to explain how it would be harder for Rachael to bend over at the waist, so she needed to kneel if she had to pick up anything off the floor. Jane had gone to the waxing room to get Rachael’s clothing, and the two helped Rachael dress before they led her to Sandy’s station so her hair could be styled.

Jane received a phone call on her cell phone from Venessa, telling her Chester Thorton was ready to leave. The last part of the plan had been for Venessa to change Parker into Chester Thorton, and for Jane to take him back to the train station, where they’d make a big todo about Chester not being able to take the job Jane was offering, with Chester leaving on the very next train. Venessa would then meet him at the second stop where she would then drive him back to her studio warehouse and un-Chesterize him. And Chester Thorton would disappear in a cloud of smoke, never to be seen again.

Jane told Carolyn and Sandy she had to leave for a short time and would be back before they were finished with Jenny and Rachael; Rachael still needed her ears pierced. The Chester plan worked as laid out. Jane and the new Chester arrived at the train station just as the train going in the opposite direction, from the one Stephen arrived on, was pulling into the station. They walked to the platform, made a show of being disappointed the job didn’t work out, and the new Chester boarded the train. Doing things at this particular moment would ensure no one paid much attention to just two more people saying their goodbyes before one boarded the train..

Jane returned in time to watch as Rachael had two piercings done in the lobe of each ear, wincing each time she was poked. Afterwards, all five women laughed as they heard Rachael say, “The things we women have to go through.” Jane was paying particular attention to Jenny, and how she reacted to what Rachael just said. This was not the pre-Rachael Jenny, this was a new Jenny, one who now wore her happiness in her eyes, and not just on her face. It had been hard to watch, but maybe Rachael having a meltdown now may have been the best thing for Jenny to witness. She did after all, open up about the murder of her parents during that burglary, something she hadn’t done in the two months she’d been with Jane.

Jane also noticed a difference in both Sandy and Carolyn, after the two young ladies had their meltdowns. Particularly Sandy. She was always the one Carolyn had to warn about going overboard with Jane’s boys, and now she seemed more subdued, more caring than she seemed before everything happened. Hopefully, when a new boy came, Carolyn wouldn’t have to caution Sandy. Only time would answer that question.

Carolyn and Sandy had gone off to clean up their stations before their other customers started arriving. And Jane felt it was time the girls returned to her home, and maybe Jenny would like to take Rachael out for a walk on the property to show her the different plants. And maybe Rachael will introduce Jenny to the big rone.

Not long after they returned to Jane’s home, the phone rang. After answering it she told Marie to hold the line open as she went into the Library to finish taking the call. When Marie heard Jane pick up the phone in the Library, she hung up that phone and returned to the kitchen, with Jenny in tow. A short time later Jane left the Library and went up to Rachael’s bedroom, wanting to talk privately with Rachael about news she’d just received. News that would either upset Rachael or take more weight off her shoulders. Jane knocked on Rachael’s bedroom door before opening the door and entering the room, closing the door behind her.

Jane found Rachael sitting at the vanity table, turning her head this way and that, looking at the new earrings she had. Rachael was so absorbed in the new earrings she didn’t hear the knock on the bedroom door or Jane come into the room. “Rachael, come sit with me, I have some news I just received.” Rachael jumped slightly when Jane said her name, but got up off the vanity chair and walked over and sat on the bed next to Jane. “I just received a call from a trusted friend in law enforcement, telling me plans are being made to raid and arrest everyone involved in the horrible treatment of those kids in the videos. They have people pouring over those videos right this moment, and they’re getting names and where they live. Once they have all the names and addresses, arrest warrants will be issued and they’ll make plans to raid every location at the same time. I can’t tell you when all of this will take place because I wasn’t told. But the person I spoke with said after the major players watched those videos, several had to leave the room for the restrooms. And, a special team was made up then and there to make sure everyone who was involved would be put behind bars. That includes your parents.” Rachael made a nasty snorting sound when Jane said ‘her parents,’ since they’d never really been parents. “And I was told to tell you that Betty is safe and can’t wait to see you again; something was mentioned about Betty becoming your guardian when this is all over.” Rachael visibly perked up when Jane mentioned Betty, then wiped her eyes at the thought of being with Betty again. “So, until everything is settled, and it’s safe for you and Betty to come out of hiding, you have a home here, with me.”

Rachael leaned her head onto Jane’s right shoulder, wrapped her arms around Jane’s waist, and told her, “Thank you, Aunt Jane, I really appreciate your offer. And I’m glad Betty is safe.” From the time Jane had started her school for wayward boys, she had to be the stern mistress to every boy who came to her school. This time things were different. She’d had a very depressed Jeremy Stevens, a boy who found his murdered parents after a home burglary. And she had Stephen William Webster, who, from the age of three, had witnessed some horrible treatment of kids in the Webster and Dorman families. Even several murders. Both were deeply hurt. Both had built their own shell around themselves. And both had had their own meltdowns but this very day, causing their individual shells to finally shatter. Both would need time and counseling but Jane felt both would do well given time.

And Jane, what of herself? She thought on that for a minute, as Rachael continued to hug her. Jane too had been affected by what these two boys had experienced, and had walked out the other side. While she would still need to be the stern mistress to begin with, she would look deeper into the cause of each boys’ errant actions and contour their learning to deal with those experiences. And not just how to be a better person.

During the rest of her stay with Jane, Jenny was a changed person. No longer was there a constant depressed young girl, robotically obeying every order Jane gave. Instead, there was a bubbling young girl, now full of life, now knowing what she wanted to do with her life. Where the old Jenny would never have wanted to visit the stable, or go on walks around the property, this new Jenny wanted to revisit the stables once Rachael introduced her to the big rone. And she also learned to ride the big horse. Four months after Jenny’s self imposed shell shattered, her Aunt and Uncle came to collect her, it was time for her to go home. As her Aunt and Uncle saw her for the first time in months, even they could tell they were seeing a new Jenny. Jane explained to the Aunt and Uncle the need for Jenny to continue counseling, but judging by her behavior since Rachael came, and the two girls breakthrough, she would in time be fine. It was not an easy goodbye for anyone when Jenny left. The two girls hugged and cried and promised to stay in touch. Rachael reminded Jenny what she felt now were just memories, memories that couldn’t change but did happen. And not to dwell on those memories and let them pull her back down. There was a sparkle in Jenny’s eyes when she told Rachael, “I won’t.” Jenny’s Aunt and Uncle took Rachael aside, and told her how much they appreciated everything Rachael had done for Jenny. And if there was anything she needed, call them any time. Rachael had to wipe her eyes after what they said, and hugged them, saying, “You’re more than welcome. Take good care of my little sister.” As the three drove out of sight, tears were rolling down the cheeks of three women.

Six months later Jane received another phone call she took in the Library. At the same time there was a knock on the front door of the house. As the phone call with Jane ended, she heard a loud scream coming from the front room. Uncharacteristically, Jane ran out of the Library, not bothering to close the Library door. When she arrived in the front room, Rachael was hugging another woman and crying on her shoulder. It was Betty. And she was safe. Marie wisely went to the kitchen and brought back tall glasses of water, they all were going to need them. As Jane watched, it was Betty who spoke first.

“It’s okay, sweetheart, I’m okay. And so are you. It’s over, they’ve all been arrested and are in jail. No one is getting out on bond.” She said these words softly to Rachael, as she hugged Rachael as hard as Rachael hugged her. Gawd, she missed her, daughter/son. Magically tissues materialized, and Betty and Rachael used them to wipe their eyes and blow their noses. Both had wet spots on their blouse and dress shoulders. Betty gently pushed Rachael away to arms length before saying, “Let me look at you now. My, aren’t you the prettiest young thing. I think you and I might need to fix our faces, if I look like you do,” gently kissing Rachael on the forehead. Rachael chuckled at what Betty said, telling her, “Well, if I look as bad as you then I’m a mess.” Both women laughed and hugged each other again before Jane suggested they go up to Rachael’s bedroom and freshen up. Jane had new information she wanted to give them.

It didn’t surprise Jane it was almost an hour later when Betty and Rachael returned to the front room, both looking much better; Betty’s hair was still a little damp. She had them sit on the couch before taking the chair across from them.

“Just as you arrived, Betty, I got off the phone with Judge Ruth; I can tell you her name now, Rachael, now that it’s over for you two. It took time to gather names and addresses and coordinate both Local and State law enforcement in order to raid every house at the same time. But two weeks ago, the raids were carried out, and every arrest warrant was served. When the lawyers for the Webster’s and Dorman’s saw all the evidence against everyone arrested, it was obvious no one stood a chance with a jury trial. It took those lawyers several days to convince their clients to plead guilty and throw themselves on the mercy of the courts. Otherwise, if they went to trial, they were guaranteed to lose. And all it would take would be for the juries to watch the videos. Everyone finally relented and pled guilty to all the charges against them. The current head of the Webster and Dorman families received life sentences, plus one hundred years. Their wives each received fifty years; the women and men who carried out the rapes, each received forty years; all those who stood by and did nothing received twenty-five years each; and all the children were taken in by good hearted neighbors, who didn’t feel those children should suffer because of what their parents did. CPS gave them all their blessings, since CPS didn’t have room for so many children. So, Rachael, it’s over, you’re free to go, if you want.” Betty and Rachael had been holding hands as Jane spoke, and looked at each other now with what Jane said at the last. Betty smiled at Rachael and nodded her head, indicating Rachael should tell Jane.

Rachael gently dabbed her eyes with a tissue before telling Jane and Marie, “You two have been more parents to me than my own birth parents ever were. And I would love to stay with you and help with the next boy who arrived. But Betty had been working with Judge Ruth on adopting me as her son, and it’s something I can’t turn down. She had been my real mother for seventeen years, and I want to make it official. I’ll be known as Stephen William Wilcox.” Now all four women dabbed at their eyes with tissues, Betty and Rachael because of what Rachael said. And Jane and Marie because they would sorely miss having Rachael with them.

After some time talking, mostly about Rachael, and her exploits into the feminine world, they had a very nice farewell dinner that Rachael helped Marie prepare. After the dishes were settled and the kitchen cleaned, there was more talk before everyone turned for the night; Rachael and Betty would be leaving in the morning.

During the time Rachael had been with Jane, she finished her studies and took the GED test, scoring one hundred on every section. They had also looked into Universities that had pre-med programs close to where Betty and Rachael would be living; a little birdy named Judge Ruth gave Jane the information. From pre-med, Rachael, Stephen, would attend medical school and would go on to specialize in psychiatry. His/her experience helping Jenny, Jeremy, made her want to help others in that area.

All Webster and Dorman properties were sold off, and their assets plus the revenue from the sales were divided among all the Webster and Dorman children. Those who took in the children ended up adopting them, allowing a name change gave the children a better chance in life. Dr. Wilcox, psychiatrist, set up an office in the town where he and Betty lived. And he became known as one of the best in helping kids with problems like he and Jeremy had. And when necessary, they even met Aunt Jane and the big rone.


You’ve Reached The End

up
91 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Happy endings

Snarfles's picture

I'm glad for Stephen and Jeremy, that their lives returned to 'normal' and in loving homes. I do believe the end of the tale came too fast and left much unspoken, but is what it is.

Thank you for the comment

Jamie Lee's picture

Perhaps the ending was a bit rushed, but it was only a minor portion of the story. The real story was everything up to the beginning of the end.

I did consider one small problem I saw and that was Jane wouldn't have the usual senior girl present when a new boy arrived. But again, with other Jane Thompson stories, she always has help when she needs it.

Thanks for reading my story.

Others have feelings too.

Best wishes

I do not quite have an eidetic memory, but a comparable IQ. I have only survived my childhood from mental blocks which wall away the memories I can't live with. That is the only part of the story I have trouble with.

The rest of the story I really loved.

I found that some of the most evil things done were in the name of love. As it was to be for the best of the child. It is ironic how that works.

Hi Cassie

Jamie Lee's picture

It wasn't specifically said, but hinted about during Stephen's time with Jane, but he did build up mental defenses in order to remain sane throughout the 14 years of the story.

Stephen's meltdown while he and Jane were on their walk, then at the salon, were evidence he'd been shielding himself from such memories. It took something like talking to Jane and seeing what they used at the salon to help tighten a corset, for Stephen's defenses to be broached.

Once the original love between the Webster and Dorman children became perverted, all marriages were forced. There was no love involved in punishing any child who refused to comply, or expressed no desire to comply. The only thing that mattered was The Family Obligation, and how it was obtained was irrelevant. And if it hurt the child, that too was irrelevant.

Thanks you for your interest in the story.

Others have feelings too.

This was an excellent story........

D. Eden's picture

But it felt a little rushed toward the end. Almost like the author just wanted to get it over with.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I must admit that I was in tears repeatedly throughout the entire tale. I have seen more than my fair share of evil in this world, and have seen the extent that some people are willing to go to in order to force their will onto others. I spent a large portion of my life in the service opposing those self-same people, and doing things which needed to be done - but which still trouble me to this day.

I try to tell myself every day that sometimes the ends really do justify the means, that sometimes you have to get down into the mud to defeat a monster, but I am still troubled by what was required; by the actions I had to take to fight back agains those evil people, and by what those actions cost. I am not sure I will ever know the total true cost, but the friends and comrades it cost me, and the damage to my own soul is evidence enough.

I will spend the rest of my life paying penance for those actions - but I would do it all again in a heart beat, for every action I took was for the better good of the innocents we were protecting. Some day I will stand before my maker and be judged for my actions, and I already know what that judgement will be - but I would stand up tomorrow and do it all over again if called to do so. My eternal soul is small payment for the safety of those who are not capable of protecting themselves against evil.

I hope to see more from you soon.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Hi D. Eden

Jamie Lee's picture

I didn't feel it necessary to belabor the point that both Stephen and Jeremy were on the mend. Or what happened to all in both families. Or how their children were cared for.

I wanted the focus to stay on what the two boys experienced and the changes they caused because of what they did experience.

I could have done a day by day until Jeremy/Jenny left, had a new boy arrive at Jane's home and have Rachael become the big sister. But that would have taken away from the main theme of the story.

As to another story, I have one forming in my mind right now. As soon as it's written in my mind it will be written out to be posted.

Thank you for reading the story.

Others have feelings too.

Name Change

Jamie Lee's picture

I got Ruth's first name cornfused with another Judge and had to make corrections.

Others have feelings too.