The Family Obligation Part 2

Printer-friendly version


*^*^* The Family Obligation *^*^*

By Jamie Lee


Part 2

Author’s Note: This is another of my Jane Thompson ‘what if’ stories that’s been hounding me night and day, demanding it be written. The issues within this story are much darker than in any of my previous stories, told by a seventeen-year-old boy who witnessed the horrible treatment of the children by two families, if said children made it known they would not participate in any forced marriage. Reader beware, while what takes place is not told in great detail, it nevertheless can be disturbing. Also, there are flashbacks throughout the story, which may seem a bit confusing at times. ~ Jamie Lee ~

The Webster and Dorman families were brought together by the rescues first by a Dorman young man of a Webster young girl, then two years later a Webster young man of a Dorman young girl, and ensuing love which led to marriage when they each turned eighteen. Because of the first two marriages, other marriages, because of love, occurred between the Webster and Dorman families. But a little over one hundred and fifty years later, the then head of the Webster and Dorman families believed everything told of those first marriages to be lies. They were lies because no one married because of love, only opportunity, so those first two marriages had to have been forced. And it was at that point the love that had blossomed as a result of two rescues, that had brought two families together, was perverted, and a little over one hundred years of hell began for the two families. A hell that was Family Punishment for any Webster or Dorman child who failed to comply with the Family Obligation of marriage when they turned eighteen. And love be damned.

Seventeen-year-old Stephen William Webster and his nanny, Better Wilcox, finally blow the whistle after the murder of thirteen-year-old Rachael Dorman because she refused to be forced into a loveless marriage. Stephen and Betty must be hidden because people from the Webster and Dorman families are hunting him, thinking he is running away from a forced marriage. Betty makes contact with three of her former University Sorority sisters, and together they formulate plans to hide Stephen at the one place unknown to either the Webster or Dorman families, the Winsome Girls’ School for Wayward Boys. Jane Thompson’s home.


Part 2

It took Betty about an hour to reach the location Ruth gave her, and she found it without any trouble. She parked her car in a nearby parking lot, got out of her car and following Ruth’s instructions, walked a short distance down a path, spying Ruth sitting on a park bench watching the water in the river in front of her.

“Are you constipated or contemplating this time?” Betty called out to her Sorority sister, as she neared where Ruth sat. Of the Sorority sisters, Ruth had been the one to be caught contemplating more times than not, while sitting by herself. Betty’s greeting had been an old joke between the two, since it was Betty who usually knew where at school Ruth would be when she was by herself.

Ruth turned around to look at Betty, rolled her eyes and said, “After all this time I’d think you’d have some new material. But no, not you. You still think the old lines are as funny as the day you first asked them.” As the two did when Betty saw Venessa, the two Sorority sisters hugged for some minutes before Ruth saw the serious, and worried look, on Betty’s face.

Ruth tried to lighten the mood by asking, “Um...you didn’t flunk another test, did you? You and Venessa always did wait until the last minute to study.” Betty let go of Ruth and walked toward the river, stopping to pick up a rock and throw it into the water.

“In a way I did, Ruth, only it was a human test I failed,” Betty replied, as she bent to pick up another rock and throw it into the water. Ruth came over to Betty, saw the tears, and pulled Betty into a hug before guiding her to the bench Ruth had been sitting on. All Ruth told her was, “Take your time, and tell me everything.” And Betty did, from the day she was hired to the murder of thirteen-year-old Rachael Dorman. And how, now, Stephen William Webster could be next if he was caught. Ruth was always the level headed one of the four, and the rest of the house. So it was out of character for her when Betty heard her say, “Damn, what a fucked up mess. Where are the videos now?” Betty had explained how she knew none of the local law enforcement people could be trusted because most, if not all, were bought by both the Websters and Dormans. Betty reached into an inside pocket of her jacket and pulled out a packet of thumb drives and handed them to Ruth.

“Everything on these drives are from all the Family Punishments starting fourteen years ago. Some of them show the murder of several of the children from both families. Most are of torture and/or sexual abuse, all done to sway the child to follow the Family Obligation. DAMN THAT FUCKING THING ANYWAY!” Betty broke down hard this time and with Ruth holding her, it took several minutes for her to regain herself. “I just stood by and watched it all happen. I didn’t do anything to stop it,” Betty said to the air, before turning to look at Ruth. “I was scared, Ruth, afraid for my life if I did anything.” It took Ruth a few minutes to convince Betty that being afraid for her life was nothing to be ashamed of, that it was a common reaction for those who aren’t trained to put their lives on the line.

“So what changed?” Ruth finally asked, as she pulled her Sorority sister tightly into her. “And you’re doing something now, so stop kicking yourself.”

“The death of Rachael Dorman, and what they did to her before she was murdered,” Betty answered, with more venom in her voice than Ruth had ever heard.

Each of the four women had their own particulars when it came to individuality. Ruth had been the one who thought most often. Jane was the matron of the group. Venessa was the explorer, and Betty was so passionate that all three had, at times, to hold her back or cover her mouth to keep her in check. When Ruth heard the venom in Betty’s voice, she knew someone better find a very secure place to hide. Because Betty was going to peel their skin layer by layer until she reached the heart of their matter.

Ruth stood up, then pulled a still venomously angry Betty up, put her arm around Betty’s waist, and led her back to Ruth’s car. She put Betty in the passenger seat before getting into the driver’s seat. She reached behind her seat and pulled out a small screen, which she plugged into a panel below the main console. She put the key in the ignition, turned it to accessory, plugged in one of the thumb drives, one marked with the lowest year, and watched as what was on the thumb drive started playing. Betty covered her ears as Ruth watched the video, Ruth swearing now and then as the video played. Ruth let all the videos play on that drive before watching the next one; Betty kept her ears covered, her memories already knew the sounds from those times.

When the last thumb drive had played the last video, Ruth gently pulled Betty’s hands away from her ears and asked, “What kind of monsters are these people?” All Betty said was, “The worst kind.” Ruth turned off the accessories, disconnected the small screen, before pulling out her cell phone and making a call. When Betty asked who she was calling, all Ruth said was, “A couple of trusted friends. Don’t worry, Stephen will be kept safe. And so will you.”

Ruth’s first call was to Jane, and using the Sorority code, told Jane about the need to hide a ward of Betty’s. When the two had made plans, her next call was to her clerk, telling him what to do and where to meet her; she said nothing about Betty being with her. Her next call was to the State Attorney’s General office, in order to speak with her. Ruth knew she was above reproach because all Sorority sisters had to be. Again using the Sorority code, she explained the need to meet with her urgently. An agreed upon time was set for their meeting just as another car pulled into the parking lot; it was Ruth’s clerk.

Ruth’s clerk got out of his car, walked around to the driver’s side of Ruth’s car, and handed her an envelope before getting back into his car and driving off. He didn’t ask any questions or see anything, because he knew if the Judge was doing something like this, it was beyond very important. Ruth handed the envelope to Betty and started telling her the plans for her and Stephen. She watched as Betty took the contents out of the envelope, one train ticket, and instructions for Betty, before going on. She also told Betty not to worry, those sick bastards would get everything they had coming to them. And then some. The two hugged, kissed each other on the cheek, before Betty got out of Ruth’s car and into her own. Ruth watched as Betty drove off, wondering how Betty could have tolerated all she had seen for so long.

[~~~~**~~~~]

As Betty headed back to Venessa’s warehouse, she started mentally ticking off things she had to tell Stephen. She had to make sure Venessa didn’t hear any of it in case someone learned where she and Stephen had been. She still worried if Stephen would be okay, he was after all intents and purposes, her son. After arriving at Venessa’s, and the initial shock wore off, she pulled Stephen aside and explained the plan to him, explaining who he’d meet and that she’d be playing a part as a cover for anyone who might be listening. Venessa had outfitted Stephen for a trip she thought might occur soon, including an old knapsack she’d had for years. Betty then learned after Venessa had finished the Chester Thorton facade, she took Chester out to one of the malls, to ‘test drive’ Chester. Venessa had to hold up her hands to forestall Betty’s protests, explaining she had six trusted friends keeping an eye on Chester while he was in the mall. Trusted friends who had no problem helping someone disappear if necessary.

Stephen, um, Chester had sat back down as Venessa told Betty about the mall. His chuckle brought a very sour look from Betty, until he had her sit down and regaled her with how the ‘test’ went.

Chester walked into the mall as though he didn’t have a care in the world, stopping to window shop in front of the men’s stores until he walked into the bookstore. As he initially walked along, he spotted four people who belonged to the Webster and Dorman families, but they simply walked right by him, never giving him a second look. After buying a book he headed to the food court, passing four different family members this time. He purchased a cappuccino and sat down at one of the tables in the food court, putting on the fake reading glasses Venessa had given him, before taking the book he purchased out of the store bag, opening it and began reading. A short time later he spotted all eight family members, stopping to talk with each other before heading in different directions.

Two of the men went into the men’s restroom in the food court, and because of his first two encounters with the hunters, decided to have a bit of fun. He took off the fake reading glasses, put them into his shirt pocket, put his book into the sellers bag, finished his cappuccino, disposed of the cup, and calming walked into the men’s restroom. After walking into the restroom he saw both men looking into every stall, opened the two doors in that restroom, and approached him as he headed for a stall.

“Um...excuse me sir,” said the sandy-hair young man. “Have you seen this boy,” and held out a picture of Stephen for Chester to look at. Chester took the picture and held it at arm’s length, then brought it closer, before saying, “Blast these damn eyes. Just a second boys.” He then took the fake reading glasses out of his pocket, put them on and then looked at the picture again. “Ah, nooo...sorry boys. I haven’t seen him.” He handed the picture back to the young men before telling them, “If you’ll excuse me I have an urgent meeting to get too.” Saying that, Chester acted like it was urgent that he reach a toilet, as he quick-walked around the young men and stepped into a stall, securing the door with the bolt. As he undid his belt, pulled his pants and underwear down and sat down on the toilet, he heard, “Well, thank you anyway, sir.” Chester heard the door to the men’s restroom open then close, but he stayed put to make sure the two had gone.

Chester finished faking using the toilet, pulled everything back up, buckled his belt, flushed the toilet, before pulling back the bolt on the door and stepping out of the stall. He didn’t look around as he walked up to a sink and washed his hands, drying them with the hot air dryer. He left the men’s restroom and calmly walked out of the food court and calmly walked down the concourse. Chester was almost to the place where he came into the mall when he spotted the group of hunters talking quietly to his left. As he almost walked by them one young man, the one from the men’s restroom, called out, “Thank you again, sir.” Chester simply smiled, then waved before continuing out of the mall and to Venessa’s car. The ‘test’ was a success. Chester Thorton had no trouble hiding Stephen William Webster. And after getting back into Venessa’s car, when he could stop laughing so hard, he told Venessa the whole story. It took ten minutes before Venessa was in any condition to drive, she was laughing that hard.

[~~~~**~~~~]

Chester understood Jane was performing for those still on the platform, and wanted to make sure those who heard, knew the man before Jane was there for a job interview. “Yes, ma’am, sometime fillin’ a job can be a right task. But I’d sure like to hear what you have in mind, if I may.”

“Of course, Mr. Thorton. I’d be glad to show you around and explain my needs. If you will follow my ward and I to my car, we can reach my home in time for dinner.” As they walked to Jane’s car, she quietly told Jenny that what was taking place is a matter of life and death. And she is not to breathe a word of what she hears. Jenny understood all too well about life and death, it was one of the reasons she was with Jane.

Jeremy’s parents had been killed during a burglary of their home, and he was sent to live with his mom’s sister and her husband, both openly welcoming Jeremy. But despite the love both his Aunt and Uncle showed him, and the counseling he received, his parent’s deaths caused him to act out until he ended up standing before Judge Ruth.

Nothing of great importance was said during the drive from the station to Jane’s home, mainly, “How was your trip, Mr. Thorton,” Jane asked as she steered her car out of the station parking lot. Chester ran through several replies before telling Jane, and the listening Jenny, “It was rather long, Ms. Thompson, but interesting. I had little trouble during the whole trip,” he added, hoping Jane understood what he meant. “That’s good to hear, Mr. Thorton. It’s those little things which often make such a trip much harder.” Jane eyed Chester by way of the rear view mirror, giving him a slight nod of understanding what he was really saying. Chester nodded back to Jane’s reflection, reversing the knowledge that he knew she understood what he really meant.

As they pulled up to Jane’s home, she told Jenny, “While Mr. Thorton and I will be meeting in the Library, I want you to help Marie with dinner. Also, please bring a pot of tea and cups for two?” and here Jane actually looked at Chester, asking him with her expression if he would like tea as they talked. “Yes, ma’am, tea would be mighty nice,” he replied, catching the question Jane gave him with her look. “Alright then, please bring a pot of tea and cups for two to the Library, Jenny. Remember, knock first then wait to be told to enter.” Jane had admonished Jenny before about knocking and waiting to be told to enter a room with a closed door. She was doing better, but still had lapses.

Jane and Marie had been firm with Jenny, as they had been with previous boys sent to them, but also took into account the almost recent death of her parents. Her problem wasn’t one of actually being a bad boy, as some of her previous visitors had been, but one of not allowing himself to grieve. Jeremy had bottled up his feelings to the point that he lashed out at almost anything. And the last time he lashed out caused him to be brought before Judge Ruth. Jeremy had never given Jane or Marie any trouble when they started their usual routine of causing the boy to sleep after dinner, then taking all of his male clothes away. He never balked at anything they had him do as Jenny, even going out in public as Jenny. Or the usual makeover at the salon or the modeling that was forced onto the boys. He was still withdrawn and would need something, or someone, to help get through to him. To finally get him to open up and let himself grieve.

When the three walked into Jane’s home, it was Chester who marveled at what he saw. “Ma’am, you have a lovely home, here. It takes me back to my grans’ home when I was little.” Jane gave Chester a look that Chester took to mean, ‘what are you doing’. He gave her a look that said, ‘just being who you see.’ What Jane said for Jenny’s sake was, “Why thank you, Mr. Thorton. That’s kind of you to say so. I find it all to be a rather helpful atmosphere when teaching takes place.” Jenny might not have understood Jane’s reference to teaching, but Chester did. After Jane put away her coat she told Chester, “If you’ll follow me, Mr. Thorton. Jenny, you know what you were told to do. Please see to it.” Jenny acknowledged Jane, before Jane led Chester to the Library, where she entered, then closed the door after Chester had entered.

“Please, Stephen, sit down, make yourself comfortable,” Jane told Chester as she walked over to her desk before sitting down in the chair behind it. She watched with an amusement how Stephen reacted when you used his given name, as he took one of the easy chairs facing the desk. “Yes, Stephen, I was told who Chester Thorton really is, and why he existed. I can assure you, you will be safe here with me. There are a number of people in this area I’ve helped over the years, helped with problems that, had they followed the course they were on, could have landed them in prison. There are also a large number of people I’ve helped, who live elsewhere, and let me know if they hear anything unsavory coming this way. And if you are wondering about the reason Jenny is here, I will say she is a special case. She was on a self destructive course, not one that would lead to prison. She was on a course that would have allowed her to join her parents.” For some reason when Stephen heard about Jenny’s plight he had to wipe tears off his cheeks. Maybe Rachael’s murder was to fresh, and maybe he was just tired. But Jane saw his action and believed, if she could talk him into it, he could be the litch pin that finally brought Jenny out of her deep depression.

There was a knock on the Library door. Jane called out, “Come in,” before the door opened and Jenny came into the Library carrying a tray with a teapot and two cups and saucers on it. Jenny closed the door behind her, then walked over to the desk Jane and Chester were sitting at, sat the tray down, and fixed a cup of tea for Jane and Mr. Thorton, after asking how he took his tea. She served the two cups of tea then quietly left the Library, remembering to close the door behind her. Jane saw a questioning look on Stephen’s face, but gave him time to ask his question.

After a few moments, Stephen asked, “Ms. Thompson, why is Jenny so downtrodden? It’s as though she has no life left in her. She seems so deeply depressed.”

Jane’s hopes that Stephen could help Jenny sparked after hearing his question and his other comments. She took a sip of her tea then said, “Stephen, please, address me as Aunt Jane--I’ll explain why in a moment. As to Jenny? Jeremy Stevens’ parents were murdered during a burglary of their home. He was able to escape out the window in his bedroom, and hid on the roof in a place which couldn’t be seen from the ground. He saw the two leave his home before going back inside, he was the first to find his mother and father, both shot in the chest and head. He had the presence of mind to call the police, and they found him in a state of deep shock when they arrived. His mother’s sister and her husband lovingly took Jeremy into their home. They saw how depressed he was and found treatment for him right away. Even with their love, even with the counseling, he remained depressed. Until one day he did something that resulted in being arrested and taken before Judge Ruth. As you observed, his spirit has wilted, he’s dead inside. It was thought once he was here that Marie and I could bring him out of his state, cause his spark to ignite by having him go through what all boys who are sent to me go through. And I see by the expression on your face you want to know what we put the boys through,” Jane paused and took another sip of her tea. As Jane was taking a sip of her tea Stephen replied, “Yes ma’am, I would like to know.”

Jane could tell Stephen wasn’t saying he’d like to know out of morbid curiosity, but genuine interest. She sat her cap down and told him, “Stephen, the boys who are sent to me are not bad boys at heart. Oh, some are, and some never change from the time they arrive to the day they leave. And I regret that very much. But the others, the ones whose hearts aren’t blackened by their situations do change and have often expressed their gratitude afterwards.”

“Stephen, what would be your response if someone forced you to explore your feminine side? Put you into a situation where you had no choice but to become a girl for a time? You would completely dress as a girl. You would wear makeup, go to the salon, even do a bit of modeling as a young girl. You would learn to act as though you were a real girl. Even out in public. How would you react?”

Jane watched as Stephen’s face went through several changes, sumizing he was giving her questions some thought. She wasn’t given a complete history of his life and was a bit shocked when he told her, “Aunt Jane. After seeing several Family Punishments since I was three years old, two of my brothers murdered, and recently a thirteen-year-old girl murdered, I’m not able to give you an answer that would be completely honest. After all I’ve seen, I may be as bad off as Jeremy. Except my reasons for being sent here is to save my life from those who would have me go through a Family Punishment before I was murdered.” Jane watched as Stephen knuckled tears off his cheeks, tears that didn’t seem to have an end.

Stephen was not one of the usual boys Ruth had sent to her, he was running for his life. And he was hurting, deeply. Jane did something she’d never do with one of the other boys during their ‘talks’, and she got up from her desk chair, walked around the desk and took Stephen in her arms and hugged him for all she was worth. And he cried wracking sobs into her chest. Even Jane had to wipe tears off her cheeks, several times, as she held Stephen as he cried. The Library door silently opened and Marie looked in, only to see Jane hugging the crying boy. Jane quietly nodded to Marie, letting her know everything was alright. Marie stepped back out and closed the door as quietly as it had been opened. She knew they’d talk later.

It was several minutes before Stephen stopped crying, or stopped only to start again. When he finally did stop crying, in a muffled voice he said, “I’m so sorry about this, Aunt Jane. I’ve never cried like this in my life, it wasn’t allowed in our house. I simply couldn’t stop myself, Aunt Jane.” Jane released Stephen, turned and picked up a box of tissues from her desk, before turning back and letting Stephen take all he needed. Once he’d wiped his eyes and face, Jane gently took his chin in her hands, lifted it, looking directly into his eyes, and told the boy, “Stephen, I do not know all you’ve experienced, but I do know no boy should have to experience it. You have absolutely no reason to be sorry for finally being able to release all your pent up emotions like you did. I am surprised you have lasted this long without doing something drastic. If you will allow Marie and myself, we can help you start to heal. And keep you safely hidden.”

Stephen broke the hug before looking up at Jane and asking, “How are those things possible? I have a mind that never forgets anything read, heard, or seen. How is it possible not to relive every moment I’ve seen throughout the years? How can I stop reliving those moments when I sleep? Do you know of a way I can shut out all the hate, anger, and perversion? If it wasn’t for Betty being there, you’re right, I would have done something drastic. It was only because of her love for me that it never happened, it would have destroyed her.”

“My God, Stephen William Webster, you are a very sweet, and strong, young man. To think of someone else before yourself. This world needs you and more like you,” Jane told Stephen before she too took a tissue and wiped her own eyes.

Jane went back to her desk chair before asking, “Has anyone told you of the plans we devised to keep you safe?” She watched as Stephen slowly shook his head, no, before going on. “Before we go into that, dinner is ready. Let’s eat then I will tell you of our plans. And if you would, I would like to hear your entire story, if you feel up to the task.” Jane watched as Stephen just slowly nodded his head, yes, before wiping his eyes again with a tissue. ‘It was time someone heard the whole truth’, Stephen thought to himself. “Then it’s settled, we shall go eat then I will take you out and show you my property.” Stephen nodded as he got up out of the chair, Jane putting her arm around the boy’s waist as they walked to the Library door, another thing she’d never do. Stephen opened the door and allowed Jane to walk out first, before following her and closing the door behind him. Something smelled good, or so his stomach told him.

Jane showed Chester where he could wash before they ate. After he came out of the powder room Jane led him to the dining room, and indicated the place where he would sit. Jane pulled out the chair she’d been standing behind and heard, “Here, Aunt Jane, allow me,” from Chester, as he walked around the table to help Jane push in her chair as she sat. “Thank you, Chester, that was kind of you. I see Betty’s been teaching you proper manners, in that hell hole.” Chester chuckled at Jane’s characterization of his home, which wasn’t far from the complete truth.

Jane watched as Chester walked back around the table to the place she indicated, but didn’t sit down. ‘Betty has done a wonderful job with this young man, despite his circumstances,’ Jane thought to herself, just as Jenny started bringing out plates and bowls out of the kitchen for their dinner; she had to make two trips. When Jenny came out the second time she asked, “Mr. Thorton, what would you like to drink?” Chester looked at Jane, who nodded her head, before Chester said, “Well, Miss Jenny, I’ll tell ya’ only if you address me as Chester.” Chester saw a spark of fear in Jenny’s eyes, something even Jane noticed, something Jenny had never displayed before, before she turned to Jane, who nodded her head at Jenny before Jenny turned back to Chester, with a big smile on her face. “Thank you Chester, but only if you address me as Jenny.” Chester smiled at Jenny and told her, “Darling, it will be my pleasure.” And the smile remained as Jenny returned to the kitchen, coming back out with a pitcher of iced tea. As Jenny poured Chester’s iced tea, Chester looked at Jane, who he saw was just nodding her head, then mouthed, ‘Well done.’ That smile was the first genuine small Jane saw on Jenny since Jeremy arrived two months ago. And it was a sign.

Marie came out of the kitchen carrying a plate of fresh baked dinner rolls, the aroma driving Chester’s stomach wild. He had been standing all this time, and now helped seat first Marie and then Jenny, before sitting down himself. A message passed between Marie and Jane as they looked at each other. One that said Chester was taught well and maybe he CAN help Jenny afterall. Marie knew she and Jane would talk later, when Jenny took Chester up to his room so he could once again become Stephen.

Conversation during dinner was as it always was when Jane had a new girl in the house. They discussed current events, political topics, and a mixture of other things engineered to make Jenny talk and see if she’d been doing her assignments. Chester even got in on the conversation, pointing out several times to Jenny this or that point, but never making her feel bad about herself because of her answers. He even hit on a topic Jenny loved, and the two carried on quite the conversation before it was time for dessert. After Jenny and Marie took the plates off the table and into the kitchen, Jane took the opportunity to tell Chester, “That smile you saw on Jenny was the first genuine smile she has shown in the two months she has been here. And the conversation you two engaged in, was the first time she has spoken so enthusiastically about anything in that same time period. Please, Stephen, continue helping her all you can.” Jane cut the conversation as Jenny, with a real smile on her face, came out of the kitchen carrying saucers, followed by Marie carrying their dessert. Jane saw what Marie and Jenny didn’t, Stephen wiping tears out of his eyes.

Stephen did help Jenny the rest of their meal, by asking her more questions about the topic that got her excited in the first place. Horticulture, and her love for nature. This hadn’t been known to Jane or Marie the two months Jenny had been with them, because she had been so withdrawn. But now that they saw her excitement with that field, they both knew what would be added to her studies. And Jane silently thanked the Mighty One for sending Stephen William Webster, though Stephen also needed their help in another area.

When everyone had finished their desserts, Jane told Jenny, “Jenny, please help Marie clear the table and clean up in the kitchen.” Jane received a two word reply, “Yes, ma’am.” Before any of the ladies could move, Chester said, “If you ladies would allow me,” and he stood, first helping Marie leave the table, then Jane and finally Jenny. “Ah, Miss Jenny, if and when you have a free moment, I’d like to hear more about horticulture,” Jenny heard Chester say. With another genuine smile on her face she replied, “I’d be glad to, Chester. When I have time,” and she looked at Jane, who nodded her head, giving Jenny permission.

“Chester,” Jane said as she guided Chester towards a door which led out of the back of the house, “I think we will change our venue to continue our talk. I would like to show you some of my property, as we talk.” They walked by the garden, headed to the stables, which held the few horses Jane had. “Do you ride, Chester?” Jane asked as they finished walking past the garden. “Ah, no, Aunt Jane, I’ve never had the opportunity or inclination, to be honest.” Jane smiled as the two entered the stables, where the first horse stuck its nose out of its stall right in front of Chester. “It seems someone wants to say hello, Chester. She is rather picky who she will meet and who she avoids. You must be one who she wants to meet.”

The sorrel roan pushed her head into Chester’s chest, stopping him where he stood. As strange as it seemed, Chester actually felt a kinship to this horse, and reached around with his right arm and encircled the big horse’s muzzle, pulling it in tighter to his chest. He then laid his head on top of its muzzle and told the horse, “It’s a pleasure to meet you too.” Jane saw moisture in Chester’s eyes as he hugged the horse, not enough to run down his cheeks, but an indication something about what the horse just did bringing up some hurt Chester had kept hidden. Jane gently touched his arm and said, “Come,” and walked over and sat down on one of several hay bails in the stable. Chester hugged the big girl once more before letting her go, stepping around her and following Jane to the hay bails.

tbc

up
87 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Name Change

Jamie Lee's picture

Had Judge Ruth's last name correct but the wrong first name. So corrections were made.

Others have feelings too.