Masks 24: Part 4

Printer-friendly version

Part Four

"This time it was a sound attack of some sort," said the Detective, as Vic came hurrying onto the crime scene of yet another "super drive-by."

Unlike the previous two attacks, this one had been during business hours. Additionally, the target was not a crowd, but a downtown real-estate company. This turned out to be one of the business working to refurbish and resell abandoned houses in the Detroit area.

"So does this confirm our suspicion?" said Vic, as she examined the shattered safety glass from the front window of the business. The sound weapon hadn't been very selective; many other windows on either side of the target had also been affected. However, this one by far was the most damaged. "Or did they target this company to make us think that was their motivation after the police chief mentioned it in a news conference?"

"Given their lack of sophistication and subtlety so far, I'd bet on the first," said the Detective. He sighed tiredly. "At least this time your boss won't be paying you overtime."

"Don't bet on it," said Vic, with a tired sigh of her own. She - and Michelle - had known going in that her job would sometimes involve long hours, but not that there would be so many nights when she got home late. "We're so understaffed thanks to budget cuts I'm pulling double and sometimes triple duty."

"Part of the problem with finding these guys," said one of the police department investigators on the scene, "is that there are a lot of black SUVs in this town. This one doesn't stand out unless it's actually making an attack."

"No plate?" said Vic.

"Oh, lots of people saw the plate," said the Detective, sourly. "All agreed it was covered in mud."

"Well, that's an old trick, but it works," said Vic, now feeling as sour as the Detective. "After the attack just stop in an alley, knock the mud off, and drive on."

"Yeah," said the investigator. "They're using some pretty esoteric weapons, but otherwise seem, well, pretty simple. If not simple-minded."

"I wonder if it's kids," said Vic, thoughtfully. "Maybe gang members."

"It's possible," said the Detective. "We actually checked our contacts with the gangs. Nothing. If these super drive-by attacks were gang supported or simply being committed by someone connected with a gang, that gang would be bragging and the others would be complaining and maybe retaliating. So far, all is quiet."

* * *

Despite the attack taking place during the day for a change, Vic - as she expected - still ran late. When she called Michelle to make her apologies, Vic discovered that the beautician was also running late. They therefore changed their plans for supper. Vic swung by Michelle's place of work. They changed into casual clothes in the back, then Vic drove them to Wok on the Wild Side.

"I'm glad you thought of this," said Vic, with a satisfied sigh as they sank into the cushion of their booth seat. "Been a while since we were here."

"Hey, you're not the only one who had a long day."

"More clients worried about that SUV?"

"It's not just that. There are rumors that the city will declare a curfew. So we've been extra busy, as people come in to get serviced now instead of when they usually would. We had to extend business hours to accommodate the rush. Of course, that also means we're getting overtime."

"No wonder you wanted to splurge," said Vic, grinning.

They were cuddling, about to kiss, when Vic suddenly became alert.

"What is that?"

Michelle heard it too, now.

"What in the world..." said the beautician.

Together they rose and headed towards the noise. A well-dressed, middle-aged couple were yelling at Xian, one of the co-owners of the restaurant.

"How dare you behave like that in here?" the man said. He and the woman - His wife? - both appeared very agitated.

"We don't throw anybody out, as long as they don't cause a disturbance," said Xian, trying to stay calm and polite. "That includes you."

"Did you just threaten me?" said the man, his tone deadly.

"Need any help, Xian?" said Vic, pulling her badge holder out and opening it, all one-handed. She held it in clear view as she and Michelle approached.

"You mind your own bus..." the man started, whipping around to look at whoever was talking.

He froze. Though not because of the badge. Because Vic and Michelle were holding hands.

"More of them! That does it! Matilda, we're leaving!"

"You didn't pay for your food," said Xian, loudly, as the pair hurried out.

"Want me to get their make, model and license plate?" said Vic, as the pair hurried out.

"No. Good riddance. Anyway, if we needed it I'd get it off the parking lot security camera."

"I didn't know you had a parking lot security camera," said Michelle, surprised.

"Oh, yeah. Put them in three years ago, to catch someone who was vandalizing customers' cars. After the first camera itself was vandalized a couple of times, we put in two more, making sure to hide them. They're still there, as part of our regular security setup."

"Well, if that's settled, we're ready to order," said Michelle.

"What got him so upset?" said Vic, ignoring the hint.

"Oh, he caught Charlie and me kissing," said Xian, with a shrug. "Threatened to report us to the owners. Don't think he liked it when I told him we were the owners."

"Do they not know you're family owned?" said Michelle, smirking.

"Nope," said Xian, with a responding smirk. "In spite of the 'Family Owned and Operated' sign on the window. I doubt he'd think Charlie and I and our adopted kids are family, even if he did."

Fortunately, that was the most excitement Vic and Michelle - or anyone else in the restaurant - had that night.

* * *

Vic's job sometimes required her to do things which she really didn't see a reason for. Just now, for example, she was on her way to interview a witness to the super drive-by sonic attack. A man who had been at the real estate office when the incident occurred. For this meeting, Vic had to drive outside the city. Which may have been why she had been given this task rather than relying on someone from the Detroit police to make the trip. Though that still didn't explain why it was her and not someone from the state police.

Bureaucracy works in indecipherable ways, thought Vic, as she neared her destination.

The business was on land in a rural area. Even before Vic saw the sign saying this was a dog breeding enterprise, she could smell the dogs.

Vic had called ahead, of course, and the man she was here to interview was actually waiting for her outside. He approached as Vic exited Monstro.

"Adam Cortez," said the man, by way of introduction, smiling as they shook hands, standing there in the warm sunlight. "Welcome to Clever Pup, Inc. If you come this way, we can talk in my office."

"Mr. Cortez," said Vic, who couldn't help but smile back as he led her inside. "What, exactly, is it you do here?"

"We sell Newfoundland Border Crossings," said the man, proudly.

"The which?" said Vic, obviously confused.

"We breed, raise, train and sell dogs which are half Newfoundland and half Border Collie," he elaborated. "They're very intelligent, with strong instincts. For example, some of them like to herd balls out of the water. They're fantastic working dogs as well as great pets. Just be aware that if you don't keep them busy, they'll find something to do. Like disassemble your couch."

"Not apartment dogs, then," said Vic, grinning. Though she had a bit of a pang remembering how her family's dog, Coco, hadn't recognized her after her change.

Cortez opened a door with his name on it and motioned her inside.

"They could be, but it would be a stretch," said the man, smiling and nodding, as they both took seats. He behind a modest desk; she in front of it. "My brother and partner here breeds bagels. That's basset-beagle hybrids. Much more suitable for small homes, largely due to being smaller, themselves."

"Can they track, though?" said Vic, curious, as she pulled out her PAD and stylus. "Either of those."

"None of them have been trained for that; at least so far," said Cortez. "They'd probably be good at it, but not as good as breeds specialized for hunting by scent."

"Well, getting back on my track," said Vic, "or, actually on that track for the first time, you were at the real estate office when the sonic attack took place."

"Oh, yeah," said Cortez, with a grimace. "My ears are still giving me trouble. My attorney says I can have whoever did that charged with assault, on top of whatever else they face, from the businesses there and the city."

"Did you actually see the attack?"

"Yes. I was sitting in the waiting room of the office, waiting for my appointment - we're trying to buy more land so we can expand, that's how popular these two new breeds of dogs are - and just looking out the window, bored, when I saw a black SUV coming up the street. I actually thought 'Wouldn't it be funny if that were the one making the super attacks.' Only, when they actually did, it definitely wasn't funny."

"Yeah," said Vic, nodding. "What do you remember about the attack?"

"I noticed the SUV slowed, and thought it was going to park, only instead there was this huge burst of sound and the window blew in. I'm just glad it was safety glass. I got a few cuts from some flying bits but nothing serious."

He shook his head.

"Frankly, if the sound was loud enough to do that, I'm surprised I can hear at all."

"I'm told by the crime scene techs that the audible noise was due to harmonics generated by the vibrations of the window and wall. That the attackers actually used ultrasound," said Vic. "They apparently chose a frequency range intended to affect glass. That and the whole wall and just about everything else directly affected - probably including the people - vibrated from the ultrasound and that vibration caused the audible sounds."

"Ah," said Cortez, nodding. "I am enough of a music aficionado to understand all that, actually."

"Oh?" said Vic, perking up a bit. "You go to any local concerts?"

"Not really. Too tired when I'm not busy and too busy when I'm not tired. I do listen to a lot of music, though. Here, in my car and at home."

They spoke about music for a bit more. Then Vic, a bit reluctantly, got back to the reason for her visit.

"Did you get a look at the people in the SUV?"

"Just the guy in back," said Cortez. "He had the window down and was aiming this thing like a megaphone on steroids out the window. It blocked most of my view of him, but I could see that he was white, maybe late teens or early twenties. Oh, and he seemed pretty big. The top of his head was above the top of the window, his arms were long and he had large hands."

"That description could be very useful," said Vic, noting those details on her PAD. She was glad this was one of those which would reliably translate cursive into type; at least, as long as she wrote clearly. "Anything else about the people or the SUV or the device?"

With a bit of prodding, the man was able to provide clues to make, model and year, but also noted that the vehicle appeared to have been heavily modified. Vic didn't tell him about the suspicion that the perpetrators of the attacks were youths who had taken over one or more properties to have a secret garage for building street rods.

"Thank you," said Vic, rising and extending her hand. "You've actually been a big help."

"Well, I'm glad of that," Cortez responded, as he also rose. He clearly switched to salesman mode as he pumped Vic's hand. Grinning, he said, "Keep us in mind if you ever need a dog who will give you a challenge!"

* * *

"You look cheerful," said Michelle, ironically, that afternoon when Vic got back to their apartment. On time, for a change. Which, combined with her spouse's expression, made her worried enough to quickly get up and hug Vic as she entered their apartment.

"Lieutenant Arthur Knowles is pressing sexual harassment charges against me," said Vic, sourly. "Boss told me as soon as I got back from interviewing the dog breeder."

"Wait, what?!" said Michelle, baffled. "You didn't do anything to him!"

"He's claiming I insulted his sexuality in front of others. Which I didn't. I just pointed out - probably too bluntly - that he didn't understand our relationship - yours and mine, I mean - even after being shown our wedding photo."

"What's going to happen to you?" said Michelle, concerned for her spouse.

"Well, there are multiple witnesses who were there and didn't see or hear what he's claiming. So, while I have to go through the motions, it's very unlikely there will be any real problems coming from this."

Vic heaved a great sigh.

"Meanwhile, to reduce tensions, I've been asked to go to the east coast to speak with a paleogeneticist who claims he has some special revelation of great import about powers. Then I have to go to the Assembly base. Partly to brief them on what the paleontologist says and partly as an official Bureau visit."

up
59 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I have suspicions

Lt Arthur Knowles is this guy right? "Whose place is this, anyway?" said the Lieutenant - a clean-cut white man who looked too young for the rank"

too young for the rank means one of 3 things, they are really good at what they do, they were promoted because the previous person in that position died, or the most likely they are politically connected.

edit I wonder, Vic's place was ransacked by her former landlord, whom also called it in, that means he could have feasibly called for a particular officer, Zandelo tried to set Vic up, after all, if it didn't become a federal case, the responding officer in charge would have had a lot of latitude to interpret the confrontation, Zandelo was also surprised to be on federal charges. Vic and Michelle weren't the first victims of the scam, perhaps not even the first to draw attention to it, having a dirty cop to help discredit victims isn't outside the realm of possibility

That suspicion

If that secret garage suspicion is right, it sounds like they found a cache of devices from the earlier occupiers of that space.

Jorey
.

to go with the other suspicions

This might be a mastermind job, through intermediaries, that's why Vic is getting this treatment. Keep the abandoned housing from being renovated and sold/rented affordably, keep a hold on existing properties, use the chaos to get nuisances out of the way, and install the metro, whom they could pay off, possibly in a gambit to get the swords. It lacks the flourish because they have yet to get to the part where things start to come together. the properties could just be a distraction, getting the fed super out of the way, and getting one available they could pay off, likely with the money from the robberies, could explain it. Of course thats exactly the kind of thing the mask community would be looking out for, which could explain the check in with the Assembly.

Even if the abandoned neighborhoods aren't the actual goal, this entire thing would complicate addressing them, even after its solved, but there's another complicated issue, the Shilmek whom end up staying on Earth, they need a place to live, preferably close together so they can establish a sub culture, making it easier to adjust to the differences,

Theory

The idea is to cause panic but prevent official attention from getting too hot, limiting the resources that can be put on the case, i suspect that the stuff targeting Vic is either unrelated or opportunistic, everything has to tie back to the balance swords, though, the drive-by spree is forcing the city to hire a super merc, and 2 banks were robbed...

Keep in mind that this sonic

Stickmaker's picture

Keep in mind that this sonic attack was tuned for glass, rather than people.

Just passing through...