On Her Own Petard - part 17

Printer-friendly version

On Her Own Petard
by Ceri

Stevie started her blog to discreetly share her secret identity with the world, never guessing just how successful it would be.

 

Watching Stevie bustle around the office in skirt and heels, Bob struggled once more to bring an image of his ‘nephew’ to mind. On those occasions when he had a clear memory of being in Steve’s company, it was only ever something the boy had said that he could recall. One could not accuse his alter-ego of lacking presence, she was at the heart of everything that happened in the office, and instantly memorable. Whatever she did, no matter how mundane, was carried out with brio; he could not help smiling as she air kissed Penny Hawker, before ushering the head of HR into his office.

“Um, yes... what exactly happened this weekend Penny? I talked to Ted — Stevie’s father — yesterday, but he wasn’t making much sense.” Bob was a little thrown by Ms Hawker’s appearance, though it took some time to pinpoint what had changed. She had never worn her hair down, not in the decade of their acquaintance, and he could only wonder at the reason why she had decided to that day. There was no doubt that the mass of soft blond curls framing Penny’s face suited her, and it was an appreciation of just how much, that distracted him as she began a clear, concise summary of the weekend’s events.

“...and then things got out of hand. Stevie was very upset, so I stayed with her last night.” Penny brushed away a tress that had strayed into her eyes.

“You’ve been spending a lot of time with her haven’t you?” Bob tried not to make it sound like an accusation, but the recollection of how she had treated Stevie on their first meeting, coloured his words. Her answer was neither denial, nor explicit confession; its subtext was however obvious.

“Stevie is the most remarkable person I have ever met; she’s bright, and she’s funny, she’s fearless, and yet she’s fragile. Have you ever met someone with an angelic snore? I have never known anyone whose friendship felt such a privilege.” Penny fussed with her hair while she spoke, brushing it from her face, or curling it around a finger.

“I hope you won’t take this the wrong way Penny, but it almost sounds like you’re in love with her.” Bob braced himself for the expected rebuff, and was astounded her mild answer.

“I’m ashamed of what we’ve done to her, and why.” She obviously had more to say, and he allowed her to continue after catching her breath. “It’s too late to undo, but I’m going to make sure nobody else hurts Stevie like we have.”

“That goes without saying, here’s what I’d...” Bob outlined a number of potential approaches based on his knowledge of Stevie’s parents, to which Penny added her observations of how Stevie would react.

“Let’s bring her in now Bob; I don’t want her to think we’re going behind her back.”

“Before we do that, how quickly can you arrange a department change for Belinda?” Company policy dictated that married couples could not work closely together, therefore if he and his personal assistant were to marry, that obstacle would have to be removed. The implications of Bob’s request were not lost on the HR head, who offered her congratulations and inquired if he had a replacement lined up. His answer came as no surprise.

*****

“They’ve been in there for ages; I bet they’re talking about me.” Stevie had not told Miss Hanford everything about the weekend, and she had certainly not included the worst of her mother’s tirade. Belinda had been very nice to her, but retained a measured reserve with the office junior, which Stevie felt compelled to observe too.

“Oh I wouldn’t be so sure about that,” the older woman replied, and with a conspiratorial flourish, produced a small box from a drawer. “I know you can keep secrets, dear, so tell me what you think.”

“Is that an engagement ring? Should I start calling you Auntie Bel?”

“Not for a while yet.” Belinda snapped the box shut, and replaced it in the drawer, but added, “Mr Thornwell will need a new PA then.” Stevie assumed Belinda’s wink was meant to convey that the vacant position would be hers. Although she said nothing to contradict her senior, Stevie had little enthusiasm for the prospect of making coffee, or managing appointments, for the foreseeable future. Before the pause in their conversation could become awkward, Bob summoned Stevie into his office, over the intercom.

*****

Penny thought it had gone reasonably well. Bob had taken some of the weight from her shoulders, and Stevie appeared much happier when she learned what they had planned. If anything troubled Penny, it was his assessment of her relationship with Stevie, and his reaction to a minor incident. Stevie had stood alongside the seated Penny, her fingers twitching nervously, and she had taken the girl’s hand in hers. It was a small gesture, one she had fallen into using, whenever Stevie needed reassurance. Bob’s expression told her had marked it as significant, but men often misunderstood female relationships, and she could not allow it to distract from the business ahead.

Using the room she had brought Stevie to on Friday had been a conscious decision. It would mean nothing to the post room worker, or his section leader, however it would strengthen her resolve to see Phil Becket suitably punished. As head of HR, Penny had many measures at her disposal, yet selecting the most appropriate had not been easy.

“I’m not fucking going; it’s bloody PC gone mad.” It was exactly the reaction Penny had hoped for, and she sat back waiting for him to dig himself deeper into a hole. “It’s his word against mine.”

“Your use of the masculine pronoun Mr Becket, further underlines the importance of the training we have arranged.” Penny edged forward in her seat; it was time for the coup de grace. “Of course if you refuse this opportunity, we would have to consider your suitability for an environment in which there are members of the transgendered community.”

“Two fucking weeks...” Phil shrugged off his supervisor’s attempts to silence him, “up a sodding mountain in Wales, with a bunch of fairies?”

“It is the best course available, Mr Becket.” Penny’s thin lipped smile chilled both men into silence. “You start a week from today, we’ll arrange transportation of course, and although I cannot suspend you — there has been no official complaint — I can grant you an extra week’s leave, with pay, effective immediately.”

“C’mon Phil, you can’t ask fairer than. Thank you Ms Hawker.” Phil’s immediate superior led him from the room, but not quickly enough to prevent Penny from making one final remark.

“You should have had that black eye seen to, Mr Becket, it looks painful.” She would need to have a chat with a certain old soldier, but Penny was sure he had been discreet.

*****

“Someone has been in here today.” Stevie had halted immediately after walking into her flat. From her position a step or so behind, everything seemed to Penny exactly as they left it in the morning, but her companion pointed at the coffee table. “I never leave the television remote on that corner, someone has moved it.”

“Well nothing appears to be missing in here.” Penny said, trying very hard not sound dubious, “We left in an awful hurry this morning, perhaps you moved it without realising.” Stevie did not answer; as if driven by some premonition she strode into the bedroom and opened the closet. Two pairs of Steve’s trousers, and his working shirts were all that remained; every item of clothing that Stevie owned, and every pair of shoes had been removed. A quick search through the chest of drawers revealed that her all her underwear was missing too, the vanity table had been cleared of make-up, and the corner where she kept her computer was empty too. When they checked the bathroom, it had been stripped of every beauty item, even bars of scented soap, and the laundry hamper held only the clothes Stevie had worn during her attempt at being male.

They found the note on the kitchen counter, which Stevie confirmed was in her mother’s hand. If it lacked the previous evening’s blind fury, it more than made up for it with a banality that was almost chilling.

Dear Steve,

It was time to put an end to this nonsense, so I have taken to the rubbish tip everything that woman made you wear. Hopefully she will leave you alone now, and you can come home where you belong.

Your father and I will be happy to have you back, just don’t come here as anything other than Steve, and don’t bring HER here with you.

Lots of love,

Mum

Penny stumbled into the living room and flopped down onto the sofa. She could not understand how a parent could perform such a callous violation of their child’s life; it did not help to know that she was its direct cause. Had she arranged a fortnight’s gardening leave for Steve, it would all have blown over in no time. He would have lost face for sure, and there would always be someone who would bring it up to torment him, but his and Stevie’s lives could have gone much as they had before. Penny covered her face with her hands, and wondered what the legal position was; did being guarantor on the lease permit them to access the flat without permission, or remove property. If she involved the police, without knowing Stevie’s rights, there could be all manner of complications.

Helplessness was not a familiar emotion for Penny, and it took several moments for Stevie’s laughter to penetrate her despondency. At first she assumed it to be a hysterical reaction, and who could blame the girl, however when she looked up, her young friend seemed relatively composed,

“I can’t go back to being Steve.” Stevie waved her mother’s note, then realising that Penny could not share in the joke added, "The breastform-glue’s solvent was in the bathroom; she took away the one thing that I need to dress up as him.”
Stevie waited a few moments for the situation’s irony to sink before speaking again. When Penny finally produced a smile, Stevie knelt beside and asked, “Can you take me home please?”

“But you can’t, not like that, you’ve read the letter.”

“Not their home, silly, yours.”

up
91 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A fortnight up a Welsh mountain ...

... sounds more like a reward than a punishment to me - with a bunch of fairies or not ;) With punishments like that Uncle Bob's firm might find itself with more non-PC behaviour rather than less.

You seem to be getting into your stride good and proper with this, Ceri.

Thanks

Geoff

I'm no merch y mynydd

I'm a hwntw coast hugger, and not at all fond of steep rises :)

Tomorrow sees me heading back to Gower for a long weekend, but the laptop's going with me and I hope to post the next part on Friday - either from a friend's computer or an internet cafe.

The laptop has other advantages, I've just copied two entire Mahler cycles onto the hard drive, as well as a sizeable collection of lieder; my brother has some very good opera recitals so I hope to get some of those too.

re 2 weeks up a mountain in wales

Ah but Geoff, the weather up a mountain in Wales is most likely to be rain, rain and more rain. Why do you think Sheep have such a thick wooly coat?

Briar

Briar

Mom's In It Now

She did exactly the wrong thing. Waiting to see where you take this Ceri.

Wonderful

laika's picture

This story just keeps getting better! Glad that Penny admitted her own culpability in Stevie's problems,
her notoriety, the website now being discussed on the radio & such; I love the tenderness, protectiveness
& love she's showing now ........ Mom is revealling her fundamental lack of respect for her child more & more, probably wasn't much different when she was Steve, just less obvious. "Love" without respect is just
a self-serving fantasy, something some parents say without having a clue what it means .........
I'd love it if you did a whole chapter (or at least a good chunk of one) on Phil's adventures
up on the sodding mountain with the damn fairies. Funny if he came back all swishy.
~~hugs, Laika

spin off series

Thinking about it Phil's adventures might justify a series of their own - it would be a challenge to write about a foul mouthed, abusive protagonist in the midst of so many sympathetic characters... and wouldn't it be great if he had his own choice to make... should he return to work, or would there be something to keep him there?

A Penny Dropped

joannebarbarella's picture

All in two (fictional) weeks, Bad Penny has become a bright shiny new Penny, Steve has become Stevie, Uncle Bob's getting married, Mum has hoisted her own petard, Phil's away with the fairies. Talk about action-packed! Encore! Encore! I reckon Ceri is writing with an eye on the movie or TV rights and the agents will be knocking down her door,
Hugs,
Joanne

17 chapters well done

Ceri - This story is getting better all the time, Keep up the great writting! Richard

Richard

That note and what she admits did will put Mom prison, Dad too

She and Dad have committed grand theft/destruction of property aggravated by racial/gender intolerance and confessed to it freely in writing.

The clothes, makeup and the computer, likely costing several thousands of dollars total or even pounds were not theirs to throw out. Neither was the property owner obliged to give them a key; he may be equally culpable. I hope Mom and dad like same sex relationships with other races because with his/her uncle's help they will go to prison. That or they must replace every last item they took including the computer and all it's files, not an easy task. Then they can kiss their child’s ass and the ass of the woman from HR.

Ms HR is a much nicer person than we first thought, though to be fair she should offer to the child the chance to be man at least once with her before he goes the hormone and SRS route he likely wants. That would be hoot, the soon to be woman having a child with the older yet attractive HR woman. And her/his parents would have to grin and bear it if they ever want to see their grandchild(ren).

Committing suicide afterwards is not bad idea for them, bastards. Great story.

The bit with the mailroom dolts was brilliant.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Civil Stuff

Considering motives and whatnot, very little chance the parents would get banged up for criminal acts. It would be hard for the prosecution to make a case that their intent, however misguided, was worthy of Her Majesty's hospitality.

On the other hand, Stevie has a solid civil case against her parents for monetary damages.

And far from wanting them dead, I'd much prefer to see some acceptance and reconciliation. I've not a clue as to how that could happen, but Ceri is genius, so I'm on pins and needles.

Personally, I'd Like To See

Stevie retrieve her stuff and go to her parents and tell them off after she has a new place to stay at.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Rubbish

The "rubbish tip" is the clue here. That's the English equivalent phrase for "garbage dump" or "town dump." That is, they have thrown it away in such a manner as to be extraordinarily unlikely, difficult or undesirable to retrieve.

Phil comes back as ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

Philippa (Lippy to her new mountain friends) and she and Stevie become best girlfriends. Stevie sues his parents and tells them they'll never get to see the grandchildren she and Penny will have now that they've married (Stevie wore white; Penny was in a tux*; they combined their last names. Lippy was maid of honor and Uncle Bob walked Stevie down the aisle. Impregnation was the last thing Steve ever did.) :-)

* - Stevie and Penny would recreate their wedding on their 5th anniversary, with Penny wearing the wedding gown. Lippy would be matron of honor this time, having married one of her mountain faries in the interim.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Stevie's parents are lucky

Brooke Erickson's picture

Stevie's parents are lucky she's not the type to get angry. One call to the police and her mother would be in jail for theft and/or vandalism. The computer alone might tip it into grand theft. Though I bet the clothes would do it as well.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

I can't remember what happens next...

I can't remember what happens next regarding Stevie's parents, but Penny and Stevie do have a formidable weapon in that blog that everyone loves so much.

Kaleigh