Persephone

Printer-friendly version

A chance encounter on a rainswept street with a young transitioning girl.

Persephone

Vandals had kicked out the glass on both sides of the bus shelter depriving its sole occupant of most of the protection it might have offered from the slanting rain. Chloe slowed the car to take a closer look at the half-huddled figure. She was not dressed for the weather; no jacket, not even a sweater and the mini skirt would have been brief at the height of summer. They were a young woman’s clothes, soaked and stuck to a slender body, but there was something intangible, perhaps the way she stood, that betrayed her birth gender. Chloe slowed to a halt alongside the shelter.

‘Would you like a lift home?’ she called through the open passenger’s window.

It took a few seconds for the counterfeit girl to realise that Chloe was speaking to her. She peered through the rain and asked ‘Home?’

‘Where you live’ Chloe said ‘I’m in no rush and I’d hate to leave you out in this’. The waif nodded her assent and opened the door.

‘Where to?’ Chloe asked, taking a second to turn up the car’s heater.

‘Ashburn Road’ her passenger said with a suppressed shiver, and then fell silent.

‘What do you call yourself?’ Chloe asked hoping to jolly a little conversation from her.

‘Same as all my friends call me’ she replied ‘Stevie’

‘You didn’t want to take a more feminine name?’ Chloe continued but Stevie remained silent until the car turned into her road when she pointed out her building.

Standing in the car’s half-open door she turned to Chloe and said ‘Thank you… err would you like to come in for coffee?’

‘That would be lovely’ Chloe said with a smile.

‘Make yourself comfy’ Stevie said gesturing towards the sofa ‘I’ll be back in a mo but I’ve got to dry off’

Chloe looked around. Everything seemed nearly new, not too cluttered and a little too tidy for someone Stevie’s age. It was not a big place, a ground floor maisonette; it had a combined living room and kitchen and she guessed one bedroom. Properties in the area were far from cheap, even to rent and she wondered how Stevie made ends meet.

‘I’ll just get the kettle on’ Stevie said reappearing ‘Hope instant’s OK that’s all I have I’m afraid’. She had stripped to her underwear and was towelling her long dark hair as she padded barefoot to the kitchen not noticing the older woman’s following gaze. Stevie’s body was neither that of a young man or woman but something that hovered between the two. Her limbs were long and slender, too long to be perfect perhaps; her hips flared only slightly but Chloe could almost see the woman Stevie would become. Nowhere was this more apparent than her small bust — a promise puffed up by underwires of course yet wholly a part of her.

Stevie laid the coffees down on the table between them, and flopped down into the other chair folding her legs beneath her. She began breaking into chunks a pomegranate she had also brought in from the kitchen. Chloe sipped her coffee watching Stevie bite at its sweet seeds.

‘Careful Persephone’ she laughed ‘or you’ll choke’

‘Who’s Persephone?’ asked Stevie dribbling a little.

‘Oh just a Greek girl’ Chloe said ‘she got into trouble over some pomegranates’

‘It’s a pretty name though’ Stevie repeated it several times in succession ‘I wouldn’t mind being called Persephone’

‘But how would you shorten it?’ Chloe asked ‘You wouldn’t want to be called Percy or Phoney would you?’ Stevie giggled losing a little more of the fruit to her chin.

‘Sephie’ she said ‘You could call me Sephie. Everyone else would have to call me Persephone though’. She beamed.

‘This is a really nice place’ Chloe said trying to strike a balance between curiosity and prying ‘Do you live here alone?’

‘Oh no’ Stevie said ‘my boyfriend lives here too — he’s just not in town this week’ She turned again to the remains of the pomegranate.

‘Is he away often’ Chloe asked

‘He lives in London and only comes here about one in every three weeks’ Stevie paused ‘He’s married’ she looked away.

‘What do you do with the rest of the time?’ Chloe said leaning forward to place a hand on Stevie’s knee.

‘Oh nothing much’ she said ‘I visit friends, even stay with them if I’m lonely’

‘You could always come and stay with me’ Chloe said lifting Stevie’s chin so their eyes locked. Stevie smiled again broad enough to wrinkle her eyes.

‘That would be really nice Mum’

up
102 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Twisty...

Not what I was expecting. Nice one.

I suppose I'll have to read the other one now won't I?

Sorry about that

I should have mentioned before now that I'm inordinately fond of tripping my readers up :)

persephone?

kristina l s's picture

Ok, names vaugely familiar...pomegranats...huh? Well ok, I looked it up... Greek mythology so there ya go.
Deep... with a slight twist. Nice short piece with a fair bit of back story left up to the imagination which is perfectly fine. I'll admit I was thinking something else just before that last line...good one.

Kristina

Persephone

Persephone is also the name of one of the Care Giver company story characters. I was surprised by the last line of this story. It was a nice short story I must say.

Love,

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

The 2 stories

laika's picture

...you've posted so far show a nice variety. This one was as sweet as the first one was disturbing.
Sure-handed prose, a well-constructed puzzle, the girl's unconfortable silence suddenly making
sense (and I will keep this deliberately vague...), first tentative steps out of what is
only inferred here, an all-too-common sort of estrangement. Very moving.
~~~hugs, Laika

What's in a name...

Thanks everyone I'm not all that used to positive feedback as the place where I've posted these stories before favours erotica over everything bar out and out porn. As I really don't go down that route my stuff has largely been ignored...

The story started with the name. I'd planned to write a rather fantastical story about a Knightsbridge firm that supplies tg staff to the well-heeled (since the 1680s in fact) and was looking for a name for a character in mythology... I gave up on the story but kept 'Persephone'.

I did a bit more reading and found the story of Demeter's search for her daughter Persephone, the pomegranates and the 'deal' whereby she spent one third of the year with Hades, one third with her mother and the rest of the year roaming free... it seemed to offer some possibilities for a tg story :) Lastly 'Chloe' was another name for Demeter.

They're heathens!

Where ever it is you used to post, everyone must be heathens, unworthy of you. This is a wonderful story, and don't worry about tripping readers up, a story is a game too; you said just enough.

Joy;Jan

I Wa Beaming

From the title, and then 'Chloe' I realized that it was a modern retelling of the Search, which is one of my favorites. One of my areas of study was Greco-Roman mythology, so this was completely up my alley. Makes me wonder about possibly doing -- or getting you to do -- some of the other stories that are my favorites in such a setting.
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney

Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...

very nice

short story and the action, though brief, was well played and shows a well organized mind for this task. It is quite nice and lovely. Stevie/Sephie is a believable character and, at least from friends of mine of whom I know and know quite well, she seems in character for being what she is (as my friends are!). Not so sure I'd place myself in her shoes for relationships, but i suppose she is/was desperate. Ceri, hope you do not take too long for another story, you had to just go and hook me huh? Good Job!

~shannon

No Glass In The Bus Shelter

joannebarbarella's picture

You really set the scene with that touch, and the nice curly twist at the end. Would that be a pig tail? Nice one, Ceri, and I've already read your other two. How could those barbarians on the other sites ignore you? Stay with us PLEASE,
Joanne

Very neatly done.

I admit that I was totally surprised by the ending, which made it all the more pleasurable.

I really liked your evocative scene setting. Glassless bus shelters are only too common. I notice them more now that I have my bus pass and beginning to use it more. Pomegranates are strange fruit with a a distinctive taste I'm not all the keen on. I used to eat the seeds with a pin, one by one. For some strange reason I associate them with Goose Fair, which happens in Nottingham every October - still. I used to read Greek mythology as a child but that particular story must have passed me by.

Thanks

Geoff