On Her Own Petard - Part 1

Printer-friendly version

On Her Own Petard
by Ceri

Stevie started her blog to discreetly share her secret identity with the world never guessing just how successful it would be.

 

Everyone was laughing at Steve, not in his face of course, though there had been a rash of double entendres from the moment he walked into the office. After three increasingly frustrating hours someone had the good grace — or spite — to let the cat out of the bag; someone, somehow had found his blog. Pretty damning stuff with just enough incidental information to tie the transvestite posing suggestively in the photographs, back to the slim young man in Accounts. Life was going to be Hell until he found a way of taking down his page, which was impossible from his work PC. He resigned himself to emailing Uncle Bob.

Bob Thornwell was not a relative, but a family friend he had known from childhood. Uncle Bob had been the one who found him his job straight out of school, with the proviso that he would not compromise his position as a senior manager by acting preferentially. It was a mark of Steve’s desperation that he even considered contacting the older man, but his intentions were pre-empted by a phone call from Uncle Bob’s PA summoning him to the eighth floor.

Miss Banford was wearing the same smirk as everyone as she ushered him into Uncle Bob’s office, though she managed to suppress it somewhat in her boss’s presence. She did, however, announce him as Stevie, the thinly diguised femme name he used in his blog, a fact not lost on the young man. Uncle Bob looked up, and motioned for Steve to sit at the chair pulled up to the desk.

“Ah, our new celebrity,” he said wryly, his lips pursed in a thin smile.

“Uncle Bob,” Steve started, “they’re all making fun of me, you’ve got to help me.” Words tumbled from his lips in a panicked stream, the pitch of his voice rising all the time. Bob silenced him with a wave of his hand.

“How do you think this reflects on me eh?” His tone was cold, with no trace of the avuncular warmth he usually used with Steve.

“Sorry, Uncle Bob,” Steve stammered, “no one was ever supposed to find out, honestly, I’m very careful.” Another hand gesture silenced him.

“Well there’s nothing to be done but damage limitation,” Bob said flatly, “Ms Hawker from HR is on her way down; let’s see what what’s to be done for both of us.” As if on cue Ms Banford’s knock was followed by the angular figure of the chief personnel officer.

A conversation began upon her arrival, in which Steve did not take part, although he
was its subject. That is not to say that his position was discussed in any terms other than the effect it might have on the company. After ten minutes he attempted to redress the imbalance.

“Hey, what about me?” Steve interjected, “it has to be discrimination doesn’t it?” Ms Hawker turned her head in his direction with an almost reptilian precision.

“No it isn’t,” she laid her hands in her lap with an air of finality, “all you have experienced is mild ribbing over a sexual peccadillo, nothing more.”

“But...”

“On the other hand, we have already received several requests for clarification from your line managers, and a number of communications from other members of your department resulting from your disclosure that you wear women’s underwear beneath your male clothes in work.”

“Is that true?” Uncle Bob leaned towards him, “are you sitting there now in panties and such, in my office?”

“No Uncle,” the lie brought colour rushing to his cheeks.

“So,” the older man pressed, “if I asked you to lower your trousers rights now, you would have nothing to fear?”

“You have no right to ask me that,” Steve blurted.

“He’s correct Bob, but if I may remind you, Stevie’s six month probationary period is up next week, and her behaviour has already been enough to warrant a negative conclusion.” Ms Hawker’s words were addressed to the manager, but aimed squarely at Steve, or rather Stevie.

“Steve if you want to have any future in this company, undo your trousers and lower them to your knees.”

“OK I am,” Steve said, standing up sharply, “I am wearing women’s underwear!”

“Too late boy, how do I know you’re not lying to me now?” Bob turned to Ms Hawker, “I’m sorry you have to witness this Penny, but the little shit needs taking down a peg or two.” Noticing Steve’s continued hesitation, he added, “Drop ‘em, or just walk out the door right now. I don’t know what I’m going to tell your father, I can’t see him being happy with a pervert for a son.”

Slowly, Steve unfastened his trousers, paused long enough to see Bob’s frown grow deeper, and lowered them. His mother might have been proud that he was at least wearing clean underwear, but would not have been at all happy to see his black panties revealed, or the lace tops of the hold ups he wore. In contrast Ms Hawker could not disguise her amusement, nor could Miss Barwell who was hovering in the doorway, where she had been drawn by her boss’s raised voice.

“Christ Sally, what are we going to do?” Bob rubbed his eyes as if trying to scrub away the image of Steve, who was still standing there with his trousers clutched at mid thigh, “for God’s sake Steve put your trousers back on.”

“There might be a way out,” she answered, doing her best not to laugh at Steve’s fumbled efforts to regain some shred of modesty. “We could put a cap on the gossip, were Stevie’s dressing an expression of a gender identity disorder, rather than a mere fetish.”

“Go on,” Bob had always respected Sally Hawker’s ability to think on her feet.

“If Stevie,” Steve winced as she used his femme name once more, “ were to take this opportunity to be more forthright about her identity, say by adopting a more feminine outward appearance in work, we could consider any salacious gossip as discrimination and act accordingly.”

“You have got to be joking!” Steve was almost shouting.

“Not at all,” Ms Hawker answered, “if you were to wear that black pantsuit from your photographs, with flat shoes, and actually do something with your hair like pull it up into a ponytail; I think you could pull it off.”

“Come into work in full drag?” Steve asked incredulously.

“Not full,” she smiled, pleasure in someone’s discomfort was not a wholly healthy attributed for working in Human Resources but it helped. “Just enough to suggest that you are trying to work out a personal issue. You can go gradually return to your butch self after a few weeks, just as soon as the brouhaha dies down.” Steve still looked unconvinced, nor was the attempt at irony lost on him.

“They’ll slaughter me downstairs; everyone will be laughing behind my back all day.” He had to admit the idea was attractive, he had bought the pantsuit to satisfy his secretarial sartorial urges, but it was one thing to play dress up in the safety of his flat, and another to step out into the full blaze of scorn he was sure his appearance would provoke.

“Take the rest of the day off Stevie,” even Bob was using his femme now, “come in tomorrow in women’s clothes or don’t come in at all.”

“But...” Steve started.

“We’ve seen enough of your butt today thanks,” Bob added, “just be here in my office at seven tomorrow morning, and we’ll take it from there. OK, now go”

Author's note: I've been working on a couple of stories fairly steadily and don't want to post them until they're complete, but really wanted to post something other than another blog entry. So I had a go at writing ex tempore writing, as threatened last month. It's not particularly original, but I can't resist the temptation to have a poke at HR. :)

up
113 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

petards & pecadillos

laika's picture

Pretty darn polished & well put together for ex tempore stuff. Well sketched characters,
reactions. While I'm looking forward to your more plotted-out works (always),
I hope you continue with it...
~~~hugs, laika

Thank you

I'm a couple of hundred words into part two, where Stevie has just sneaked into the building using the 'smokers' door' to avoid any early birds. I'm not thinking too hard about it, and really enjoying it in a way I haven't for a while.

Catbert Lives!

erin's picture

LOL!

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I'm on their hitlist

I'm pretty sure HR have had it in for me since I first turned up at a company function in a dress - I believe there were quite a few meetings and a lot of preparatory work in anticipation of a transition that never happened. A whole new paragraph in the staff handbook was all they had to show for it. :)

What Laika said -

Sorry, but I'm rather unimaginative in my comments at the moment - I think Laika summed up my thoughts pretty well, so I'll leave it at that.

YW

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

On her own petard, with a little help from "friends"

I like it, a good start with an original twist to a story line of this genre. Please keep them coming, I look forward to the next episode.
Love and cuddles,
janice elizabeth

Consider Name Change

It seems more accurate to say "By Her Own Petard".

For years I had wrongfully thought the phrase was "hoisted on his own petard" with the petard being a kind of sword. I wonder of others had that same misconception?

Actually a "petard" is a kind of bomb device used to blow open a gate or wall on a castle. Its shape directed the force of the explosion where it would do the most destruction. Literally to be "hoisted by your own petard" means to be blown to bits by your own bomb.

Using "on" suggest an unfortunate perosn with a chasm where his stomach had once been. . . .

Now that I think about it. . .I'd rather not.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Petard

Very nice start off. So many ways to take it, and so many ways for it to get "out of hand". I like it.

You've Been Absent Too Long

joannebarbarella's picture

Welcome back, Ceri. I'm already wincing in sympathy for poor Steve/Stevie, and I share your antipathy for HR. They always seem to be more predatory than protective,
Hugs,
Joanne

HR, or IR?

HR are more often IR, with the I standing for INhuman.

Good start, Ceri.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

HR's is there to Protect the Company

HR is not there to help employee's. Its mission is to acquire qualified employees, recommend and enforce policies that manage turnover to acceptable levels, comply (or create the auditable appearance of complying) with employment laws. My experience is that there are good people working in HR who are competent and do everything possible to help employees and be fair. Unfortunately, there seems to be a high percentage who are one or more of the following; arrogant, incompetent, pretty much worthless, liars. One company I worked for had two successive male HR directors leave because of sexual harassment complaints against them. Both were real slime balls.

Protect the company?

At least here in the U.S., that would include protecting the company from a lawsuit by the aggrieved (ex)employee. We just had the annual sensitivity training from the company, and Steve/Stevie has all the makings of a successful suit. Tying the threat of dismissal to the order to drop his pants opens up a can of worms. And unless there is a morals clause in his contract, then what Steve does in his offtime is his own business, as long as it is doesn't involve illegal activities. My company has dismissed two people recently for violation of the harassment rules. One was repeatedly bugging women at work for a date; the other was arrested for molesting a minor.

So perhaps there are different standards in the U.K.; in the U.S. though three people would be packing to leave, Uncle Bob, Mrs. Hawkins, and the IT guy who intentionally set out to embarrass Steve. And Stevie would shortly be getting enough money to buy a whole new wardrobe.

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Petard: definition. Angela has the right of it.

pe·tard (p-tärd)
n.
1. A small bell-shaped bomb used to breach a gate or wall.
2. A loud firecracker.
[French pétard, from Old French, from peter, to break wind, from pet, a breaking of wind, from Latin pditum, from neuter past participle of pdere, to break wind; see pezd- in Indo-European roots.]
Word History: The French used pétard, "a loud discharge of intestinal gas," for a kind of infernal engine for blasting through the gates of a city. "To be hoist by one's own petard," a now proverbial phrase apparently originating with Shakespeare's Hamlet (around 1604) not long after the word entered English (around 1598), means "to blow oneself up with one's own bomb, be undone by one's own devices." The French noun pet, "fart," developed regularly from the Latin noun pditum, from the Indo-European root *pezd-, "fart."

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Dictionary Catherine posted that.

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

Reminds Me of That Old Poem

I learned it when I was in early grade school. It went something like this:

Gene, Gene made a machine.
Joe, Joe made it go.
Art, Art let a fart
And blew the whole damn thing apart.

Funny what sticks with you.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Getting pushed kicking and screaming...

Into just what she wants. This promises to be a really happy romp!

I wore almost all women's clothing the last 15 years before I got outed.

Women's Jeans fit better, I loved Women's short sleeve service shirts, Cotton/nylon t shirts, and Women's Penny loafers. I was never confronted, except by a dumb ass service man working for me.

What the hell, I was one of their best people, and they knew it.

I Can't Believe How I Managed to Miss This

Before, but today I saw it, or more honestly noticed it for the first time so decided to follow it from the start. It is amazing. And you wrote it as it came into your head? You never thought out a plot, and characters, and everything, beforehand? No planning? Not even an idea?
Amazing! And so clever. You are good Ceri, you are Something Else.

This is a bit like Poetry is supposed to be created. When I was at school they talked about it being "Emotions recollected in tranquillity" (Though when I go for a walk along the shore and some verse comes into my head I find I have not only to jot it down on notepaper before I lose it, but then rework it over and over before it is anything worth recording at all! Guess I just aint a proper poet.)

Briar

Briar