Dearly Beloved - 39: A Dresden Files Fanfic

Printer-friendly version

The Dresden Files/Codex Alera is copyright Jim Butcher. This story is licensed under the Creative Commons as derivative, noncommercial fiction.

Chapter Thirty Nine

Arizona was hot. I don't know how people can live in a place that gets up over a hundred degrees in May. Crazy, crazy crazy. Luckily, my new body constitution was able to tamp it down some, but I still struggled with all the sweat.

Inari and Yvette, Susan's daughter, lived in North Scottsdale. We passed by million-dollar homes surrounded by yucca, cholla, and saguaro cacti. Desert trees struggled vainly to spread leaves that came out as thorny tendrils.

Inari had always been something of a rebel. Back in my Harry days, I'd had a case that led me to a Porn movie that Arturo Genosa had been producing. Inari was the production assistant on the show, and I remembered her as lively and quick, cheerful, and happy. She hadn't known about the white court curse at all and had been attached to a young man named Bobby. Much like Susan, Inari had needed to get her 'first kill,' and the Raith family had set up Inari and Bobby to fail. She'd helped me…well, Harry, escape the clutches of Lord Raith when I'd been chained up in The Deeps. She and Bobby had fled Chicago and her Family.

I rang the doorbell, wearing my mask. They had a doorway camera, and I waved into it.

Inari opened the door. She looked quite a bit different than when I last saw her with light blond hair, dancing blue eyes, and a figure to die for.

"Wow, look at you!" I said, opening my arms.

"Lara!" she cried, jumping into them happily. "Thomas!"

We had a nice family group-hug. "You look incredible," I said.

She grinned, "Yeah, I've made a few changes."

"A few?" A stared her up and down. "You look gorgeous!"

"Thanks, well, once I started feeding, it started to become more natural."

Thomas cut in…"Is Bobby—?"

She shook her head. "It didn't work out."

"I'm sorry," Thomas said. "I know how much he meant to you."

She shrugged. "Well, it was only a matter of time until I was in a situation like you."

He nodded, looking sad.

"How is Justine?"

"Fine." Thomas sighed. "With her parents."

Inari nodded, ushering us into the house.

"Inari, this is Susan Rodriguez, and you know Delores, of course."

She nodded. Inari didn't know the 'real' Delores; she just knew her as Martin's 'Mother.' Martin had been able to see his daughter by masquerading as her grandmother.

We went into the living room, and Inari brought us all water. We chatted for awhile.

"So," I said. "I'm a little unclear on how you came to have this adorable child." I smiled as Melissa, who was Susan and Martin's natural daughter, came into the room. She had Susan's eyes with Martin's chin and nose offset with dark hair and olive skin.

"Through Bobby, actually," Inari said. "He came into contact with her father, James Martin, in the Fellowship of St. Giles, who was killed in Chichén Itzá."

I remembered the soul gaze with Martin as he lay dying. It was his goal all along to remove the Red Court. I looked over at Delores, who gave me a small smile.

The girl could have been Maggie's sister. Well, she was Maggie's sister, her half-sister. I felt a surreal sense of detachment and dismay to know Susan had kept this from me. I still couldn't understand why she hadn't told me!

I took a breath. Now isn't the time to let your anger out, Lara. Get a grip.

I nodded. "Well, she seems very happy," I said.

The girl looked up at me. "Hello, pretty lady," she said.

"Hello," I said, kneeling down. "I'm Lara."

"I'm Melissa."

I glanced up at those gathered around. "Melissa, I have someone who would like to meet you."

She looked up. She had a cute bow of a mouth, and she looked so serious as she regarded me.

"This is Susan," I said, standing up.

Susan knelt down. "Hello, Melissa."

"Hi," Melissa said. "My Mom's name was Susan."

Susan nodded. "Darling, I am your mother."

Inari gasped at that, looking at me. I nodded, putting a hand down and indicating we'd talk about it later.

"How could you?" Melissa said. "My mother is dead. She died helping people."

Delores pulled a lace handkerchief out of her purse and dabbed at her eyes. I'd need one too, soon.

"Someone let me come back, just to see you," Susan said. "I wanted to tell you…I'm sorry, Susan, for leaving you."

Melissa looked confused. She turned to Inari, who gathered her up, lifting her.

"It's okay, baby," Inari said.

"I was…sick, darling. I would never have done that if things had been normal. I was so sick, and it would have made you sick too."

The girl hid her face from Susan, tucking in tight against Inari's shoulder.

"I think you all had better leave," Inari said.

"Sweety, it's important—"

"Lara, just leave. I'll call you later."

I nodded, looking at Susan, who stood up, wiping her eyes.

"I want Gramma!" Melissa said, holding her arms out to Delores, who took the girl.

"We'll be in touch," Delores said.

I nodded, guiding Susan toward the door.

***

"Well, so much for that," Susan said. She'd been crying softly as we drove to a hotel and checked in. I'd handed my black Amex card to the agent, and he had us in a room quickly.

I sighed. "Well, not sure what we expected: Hi, Melissa, I'm your mom. Can you forgive me for sacrificing myself to end an entire race of monsters?"

Susan broke down at that. "And now I'm the monster."

"Hey, hey." Thomas enfolded her in his arms. "None of that now."

"It's true, though. Without this flesh mask, that child would be running in horror at what I actually look like."

"Just because she wouldn't understand. You can't blame yourself for doing what was right, and making the ultimate sacrifice."

I shook my head and picked up a couple of tiny bottles of liquor. "Darling, will you get us some ice?" I looked at Thomas.

"Of course," he nodded, then left the room.

"Look," I said, once he left. "I think it's time to face up to the fact if we can't change that little girls' mind, this may be your new reality."

She nodded, her soulful eyes regarding me. "What would that mean for us?"

"I don't know," I said. "The more I look at it, the more I think I need to reconcile myself to this new reality too. I'm essentially trapped as Lara, with no way back to my old life. Murphy has attached herself to Harold; Molly is trapped as Mab, Martin is trapped as a Grandmother—"

"And I'm trapped as a monster."

"For all the ever-loving tea in China, will you stop referring to yourself like that?" I said, frustrated.

"It's true, Harry, and you know it."

"Look, darling." I stood up and went to her, handing her a box of tissue. "I'm not Harry, not anymore. You're not really Susan, not any longer. This is our new reality, whether we like it or not, and I say we need to come to terms with it now, or we're always going to be miserable!"

She nodded, wiping her eyes.

Thomas came back in, grinning. "They have an indoor spa! Who's up for a bit of—"

He glanced at us. "What I miss?"

I shook my head and took the ice-bucket from him. I poured double shots of Glenlivet for Susan, Grey Goose for him, and a healthy glass of Tanqueray for me. I handed each of them a glass.

"To our new reality," I said.

Susan looked disturbed at that, but we clinked glasses and drank.

We sat back down on the couch, and Thomas clicked the television on. "So, I guess the spa is out?"

I kicked off my heels and pulled Susan down onto the couch with us, snuggling into each of them. "You know," I said, taking a sip from my drink. "They can take a lot away from us. Our identity, our bodies, even twist and warp our minds, but there's one thing they can't take away."

"What's that?" Susan said.

"Love," I said.

Susan giggled. "That's all we need?"

"Love is all we need," Thomas sang.

We sat for a few moments, and I began to feel the effects of the gin. I started to hum softly. All we need is love….All we need is love…

Thomas and Susan both joined in. "All we need is love, love. Love is all we need."

My phone rang, waking me up from a nap. The effects of the gin had made me quite sleepy, and I blearily looked at the phone—an unknown Arizona number.

"Hello?" I said.

"Dresden," Delores's voice said. "Can you all come by in an hour?"

I glanced at the time. It was after nine o'clock.

"Sure."

I nudged Thomas, who was snoring softly beside me, then went into the bathroom.

Susan hung by her talons from the shower rod. Her wings were folded around her body, and her head was tucked down.

"Um…" I nudged the creature softly. "Susan?"

Red eyes irised open, glaring at me, then she took a breath.

"They want us to come back."

"Okay, give me fifteen minutes to change," it said.

I nodded and walked out into the bedroom, where I fluffed out my hair, combing it back into place.

My suit didn't look too wrinkled, so I sat on the bed and squeezed my feet back into my heels, then carefully put my earrings back on.

I repaired my face, and spritzed a bit of perfume, running a hairbrush through my dark locks.

Thomas grinned at me. "All beautiful again?"

I smiled, nodded. "You love it, and you know it."

He wrapped his arms around me, kissing me from behind. "I love you, and I know it."

I smiled, enjoying the feeling of his arms around me.

Twenty minutes later, we were speeding back to the house.

Delores met us at the door. "It's just before bed. I thought you might like to read her a story."

"Oh!" Susan said. "I'd love to!"

Delores nodded and held open the door.

Inari sat in the living room, and Thomas and I sat down as Delores and Susan went into the little girls' room. We could hear a quiet conversation for a few moments, and then the voice of Susan reading 'Goodnight Moon.'

"She loves bedtime stories," Inari said.

I nodded.

"So how have you been, Harry?"

Surprised, I looked up.

"Delores told me. Don't worry; your secret is safe with me."

"Thank you."

"Must be pretty strange to be in my sister's body."

I nodded. "At first, yes. But the more I'm in here, the more I become Lara."

She giggled at that.

"Delores told you her original identity too?"

Inari shrugged. "She didn't, but I sorta figured it out years ago when 'Delores' had no idea about support garments."

Thomas and I laughed at that. "I suppose that was an eye-opening experience for her."

"The poor thing had no idea how to size them appropriately!"

Inari giggled. I loved the way her eyes danced.

"So, what happens now? Susan isn't going to try to take Melissa, is she?"

I shook my head. "No, of course not."

"Because I'm her legal mother now. I formally adopted her two years ago. So when you all showed up with the actual Birth Mother, I was a little shocked. But now that I know you're Harry, that explains a lot."

"No, I don't think so. Susan has to 'atone for her sins,' before tomorrow night. That's all she's trying to do."

"But what happens after that?"

I shook my head, sighing, thinking of the Between. "I honestly have no idea."

A chime sounded. All of us were a bit startled. Inari stood up. "I wonder what that was?"

"Balancing the cosmic scales," Thomas said. "Don't worry, sis."

She nodded, sitting back down.

A short time later, Susan and Delores came out, arm in arm. It made my throat clench a bit, knowing that it was Martin. I shook my head. No, Lara. Get a grip.

"We heard the chime." I stood up, giving them both a hug.

Susan nodded, unable to speak. "Can we go, please?"

"You sure? I mean you still have—"

"Yes. I know who I need to see now."

I nodded at that, knowing as well.

Inari enveloped me in her arms. "It was good seeing you again, sister."

"Careful," I said, hugging her back. "I can still light things on fire."

"Wow, you still have your power?"

I coughed. "No, but I have an elegant zippo in my purse. Sheesh, what do you think I meant?"

She giggled and hugged Thomas and I, and we all piled back into the Excursion, heading for the Airport.

Susan wept quietly on the way.

***

The Carpenter House was quiet when we arrived. With less than an hour to go on the timeline, we were cutting things very short. It was late, and I knew Maggie would already be in bed. But if Susan had any hope at all of being human again, we had to do this.

I rang the bell. Susan squeezed my hand.

"You can do this," I said.

She nodded.

Thomas had gone back to the Penthouse when we arrived at O'Hare. I'd texted Malcolm to bring the helo, and we'd flown to the Northside, setting down in the woods behind the house.

Harry Carpenter opened the door. "Oh!" he said. "Something happen?"

Harry had helped me out on a couple of occasions in the past. "Not right now, sport, but we need to talk to Maggie."

"She's asleep. Can you come back in the morning?"

"Mmm, this is a little time-critical. Do you mind if we come in?"

"Sure, come in." He opened the door for us, and we entered.

"Mom and Dad are already asleep. Maggie's in her room. Want to go in there, or should I bring her out here?"

I thought about Mouse, and the ruckus he might make to see a full Red Court Vampire enter Maggie's room.

"Probably best to bring her here."

He nodded, then went upstairs.

Susan trembled as she took my hand. "I'm so sorry, Harry."

"It's okay, babe. We'll get through this."

Harry came out. Mouth let out a low growl the minute he saw us in the living room.

It's okay, buddy. I sent to him. I had no idea if he could 'hear' me or not.

That is a vampire. Came the response.

I know. We won't hurt her, I promise.

The minute I see fangs, I'm biting.

Absolutely.

Mouse quieted some, but his hair stood on end, and his nose pointed down as he fastened his eyes on Susan.

"Mommy-Daddy? Wha' going on?" Maggie said, rubbing her little eyes.

"Honey, this is someone I need you to meet."

Maggie looked at Susan, who was already crying.

"Hello," she said.

"Hi, Baby."

Maggie frowned. "I'm not a baby anymore. I'm a big kid now!"

Susan smiled. "I can see that."

"Maggie, this is Susan. She's your real mother."

Maggie frowned. Harry Carpenter stared at us for a few moments but shrugged and sat down on a chair.

"My real Mommy is in Heaven, Daddy."

"I know. But God gave her back to us for a little while, just so she could see you."

Maggie frowned. "Okay."

"Can I hold her?" Susan said.

The minute Harry moved to hand Maggie to her; Mouse gave a little growl.

No. He sent, simply.

"Um, I don't think that would be a good idea at the moment," I said.

Susan nodded. "Margaret, I need to say something to you. And I want you to listen very carefully."

Maggie nodded, still rubbing her eyes.

"I'm so sorry I had to leave you. I was sick, and your father had to help me to become well again."

Maggie nodded, looking at me. "Did you make her well?"

"Kind of," I said, choking up. "I at least made it so she wasn't suffering anymore."

Maggie nodded, serious, but adorable, expression on her face.

"Margaret, can you forgive me?" Susan said.

The little girl thought for awhile, her face concentrating. "You would have stayed wif me if you could, right?"

"Right, baby."

"And you went and had to get well. Right?"

"Right."

"And now you're back and can be wif me again?"

"I don't know, honey," I said. "This is probably just a one-time thing. She may not be back because she'll be in Heaven."

Susan sobbed a bit at that.

Maggie nodded with a serious expression on her face. "You will be in Heaven when I get there?"

Susan nodded, unable to speak.

"Then, yes. I forgive you, Mommy."

We heard a chime. Susan turned to me, smiling through her tears.

I fought back tears of my own as I hugged her.

We both faded from the world together, wrapped in each other's arms.

up
74 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Closer to ....

kyro232's picture

1. There's accepting reality and then there's giving up the fight for what was once yours (personal effects, love, people). I understand Murphy is a no go.but to just roll over and let "Harold" get everything "Lara" had suffered and sacrifice for. With just a bit of punishment, backlash (The Phoenix spell) is aggravating and sorry it's something that bothers me a lot. Hope There's a lot more backlash and retribution, coming for "Harold" but it's your story to write.

2. Well Susan is as close to human as she ever is going to get. Will see if the "Between" wants to push her further to human. I don't see the "Boss" wanting a Red Court to spring up again.

3. Hope that "Lara" gets something that is worth it's weight in gold and priceless for all of this appalling and horrific emotional scarring and suffering and destruction of the person "she" used to be. Just to fit in to whatever foolish moronic "plan" the "between" and its higher ups have.

4. When this story continues after whatever happens in the "between" and focuses more on "Harold" getting the punishment or consequences that "he" deserves and the fallout from "His" bull crap. Also sees where "Lara" fits into her new life.

5. Pray that Murphy gets somewhat free from what happened to her (being turn into a bimbo/sex slave) and gets back to being a blend of the warrior/person she was and who she is now. Otherwise it destroys a original great character and leaves a shadow of who she used to be that is the better person and character with all her quirks and flaws. I would take the original over the new Murphy in a heartbeat. The only reason I can see that Murphy is still attached to "Harold" is the god damn slave compulsion/suggestion demon enhanced body that "Harold" gave her. I don't see Murphy sticking around otherwise . Really don't see how Murphy could love "Harold" he's not the same person and it bothers me that Murphy is still hanging around "Harold" and loves "him" after everything "He" put her through.

6. Personally think that "Harold" and Murphy couple as Murphy is now (lowered IQ and impaired impulse and reasoning skills) needs to have a blowtorch taken to it ,but that ties back into my aggravation on the "Harold" getting too little punishment situation in my mind. Perfect punishment for "Harold" would be to swap him with Murphy then turn back on Karrie with a compulsion and find someway that "Harold" can see and feel what Karrie is doing but can't stop it.

Keep writing your doing great !!!

Sure was hard with minimal instructions

Jamie Lee's picture

Atone for her sins, that's all Susan knew she had to do. But which sins? And against who? Might it have gone quicker if she had known what and who, instead of having to discover them for herself? Or were the instructions vague so Susan would spend time as a vampire bat?

And now that all the chimes have sounded, where have Susan and Lara/Harry gone?

Others have feelings too.