Dearly Beloved - 37: A Dresden Files Fanfic

Printer-friendly version

The Dresden Files/Codex Alera is copyright Jim Butcher. This story is licensed under the Creative Commons as derivative, noncommercial fiction.

Chapter Thirty Seven

"So, you really think we can do this to him?" I said.

Mab took the laptop back and typed some more. Her thin fingers flew over the keyboard.

"Oh, we can do it. But are you okay with it considering everything?"

I thought about it. After everything I'd been through, everything Murphy had been through— "Yes. I'd need a summoning circle, though."

She smiled, and I could see Molly behind Mab's face. "Infinite Cosmic Power." She wiggled Mab's fingers.

"What would you need?"

"Just something with blood, saliva, or other bodily fluids."

"Hmm." I said. I reached into my purse and pulled out a pair of black handcuffs.

"That would work perfectly!"

I giggled.

"You can lure him here?"

"Oh, yes. Though, he is your Knight, now."

She nodded. "I think we shall consider it a test of his new alignment, shall we? You ask him to come here, and we'll see how he responds."

"This is going to hurt, isn't it?"

"Oh, definitely," Mab said. "But you needed a way to be okay with this, and it's the only thing I can think of. Unless you want me to cast the spell on you."

"No!" I shivered. "Goddess, no."

"You'd also be able to draw full sustenance from him as well, dear."

I smiled. I was pretty Hungry. "Excellent."

"Summon him here; we cast the spell, then we wake Susan."

"Sounds like a plan," I said, picking up my phone.

He answered on the third ring. "Lara! Ready for more, I take it?"

"Mmm, indeed, pet. But first I need some food. I'm at Susan's hotel room. Would you be so kind as to pick up some burgers and meet me here?"

"Yes, Miss. How many shall I bring?"

I glanced at Mab. She held up two fingers. "Better make that four Whoppers. And if you want one, make it five."

"I'll be there in a jiffy!"

I hung up the phone.

"He took the bait?"

"Of course," I said.

Mab smiled softly. "You're getting good at this."

I thought about that. It was nice having people do what you wanted them to do when you wanted them to do it. I knew it was in response to Lara's power over them, but I didn't mind. I liked it even. Usually, Harry had been forced to convince even his friends anytime he needed help. He didn't like to ask for help, wanting to be the lone hero to save the day. This was novel for me to ask and receive help. It was…gratifying.

"Without my magical abilities, I have to rely on others more. Thank you for helping me with this."

Mab smiled. "Well, you helped me to get back to myself." She glanced down. "As much myself as I can be, given the circumstances."

I pulled her into a warm embrace. "I'm just happy your mind is back. I care little for the vessel; it's what is in here that makes the difference." I kissed her head softly.

She smiled, enfolding me in her arms. "Am strangely happy too."

"You'll need to go back to Mab's old icy self when he arrives, of course."

She nodded, sighing. "I know."

"He won't know you aren't, well, you?"

"No one other than you, Thomas, and Maal know. It has to stay that way."

"Of course. How long will she use your body, do you think?"

She shrugged. "It sounded like it might be a long while indeed."

"Well, hopefully, you have some time to prepare before she makes any moves."

We sat like that for a while. Then Mab got up and took out the handcuffs.

She quickly drew a circle in front of the door using a fingernail. Blue ice trailed her finger, glowing softly in the dimness of the hotel room. Scraping a bit of something off the inside of the handcuffs, she sprinkled it on the circle. It flashed bright orange as it made contact with the power of the circle.

She whispered a few words, then touched the ring with her finger. It winked out.

"Wow, that's it?"

She nodded, smiling.

"And I can't step inside, right?"

She shrugged. "It doesn't matter. The blood has keyed it to him. You can step all over it, and it won't do anything."

"Perfect," I smiled.

Someone knocked on the door.

"Showtime," I said, standing up to answer.

"Harry!" I said, giving him kisses on each cheek. "Thank you for coming."

"No problem, Miss." He whispered softly.

"Come in, come in."

I took the bag of burgers from his hands and led him into the room.

The instant he crossed the circle, it sprang up around him. He bounced against the energy field, contained, and unable to go anywhere.

I saw his mouth working, but couldn't hear anything he was saying. Smiling, I set the burgers down and closed the door behind him.

Mab stepped up, and I motioned with that hand he should kneel.

He shouted something, then shook his head and knelt.

"Is there any way he can hear us?"

"Hello, my Knight," Mab said. "Thank thee for attending us."

"You are welcome, my Queen." Harry bowed his head. "I'm confused though, why am I in here?"

"You have suffered ten long years of torment by my hands, Knight. Does thou remember?"

He shivered. "Yes, my Queen."

"However, thou has't not made any kind of restitution upon the person thou injured. I mentioned that would be forthcoming, didn't I?"

He nodded. "Yes, my Queen. How may I serve?"

"Hold still, Knight."

"Yes, my Queen."

Harold remained in place with his head lowered.

Watching the scene, I realized what a stark contrast it was to who I had been. If Mab had caught me in a containment circle like this back when I'd been Harry, I probably would have been casting fire, ice, bullets, or all three in an attempt to get free. But Harold remained on his knees, perfectly willing to allow Mab to perform whatever action she deemed necessary. I shook my head but inwardly smiled.

Mab raised her arms and began an incantation. It didn't take long, and I saw some type of energy layer itself onto Harold and integrate within his body structure. Mab finished the incantation, and released him.

He stood up. "That was it?"

"T'was but the first part, Knight." Mab turned to me. "You may slake thy thirst, Lady Vampire."

I nodded, allowing my inner demon to slide over me. I hadn't realized how Hungry I was, even though I'd dipped a bit from him the previous night. His soul tasted different today, like brimstone and ash, but it was still healthy, still whole, and I needed him more than ever.

I wasn't a complete succubus, but I did need physical contact in order to achieve optimum desired results. Taking off his shirt, I slid against him, feeding on his Sidhe soul, letting it fill me. I panted, taking it in, feeling his essence slide into me. He began to sag in my arms as I drained him. I didn't take every ounce, but he fell to the ground in a heap afterward, hardly able to hold his head up.

For the first time since being forced into Lara's body, I felt sated. I purred softly, sitting back down in the chair. I placed a heeled foot over Harold's prone body, and slid my heel down, scratching his back deeply, drawing blood.

"Mmmm, that was delightful," I said, looking up at Mab.

"I thought you might enjoy that, dear. Are you full?"

"Mhmm. And as you said, I've left a little more for—"

As if on cue, the door to the bathroom opened, and Susan flashed out. Without a word, she grabbed Harold by the shoulder with her powerful talons. She flapped backward, dragging him into the bathroom. The door slammed abruptly, and we could hear snarling and gnashing as Susan fed on the half-orc.

Mab smiled and perched on the other chair, as we listened to the vampire feasting on the person who had caused my life to be so dramatically changed, my identity to be so fundamentally altered.

"You sure this will work?" I said, a bit drowsy from my meal.

She nodded. "Yes, don't worry, dear."

And if it didn't?

I thought about my life being torn away, my love transformed, my core identity so changed that I wasn't the same person anymore. I thought about the curse of the white court, the twisted nature of the Raith family, and my new life as the head of it.

I'd been a crusader for Truth, for Light in all its forms. I wanted to help the underdog, the oppressed, the people who couldn't defend themselves. That fundamental identity still hadn't changed, which meant in many ways, I was still me, just a changed me from what had raged before.

I didn't like the thought that Harold had given his life in the process and that I had been the catalyst for it. However, Harold had caused this situation in the first place and it filled me with such impotent rage, I had needed an expression of it. If I couldn't blast him with my blasting rod, being torn apart by the newest member of the Red Court seemed a fair trade.

The snarling and wet slurping sounds coming from the bathroom slowed down, and then went quiet.

A little while later, Susan stepped out, gorgeous and lovely as ever in black slacks and a lavender blouse. She fluffed her hair out in front of the mirror, then turned to us, a look of concern on her perfect face.

"Feel better, darling?" I said.

"Was that really…H. ?"

"That, my dear, was the person who took away my identity, body, and the love of my life."

"Oh—" Her eyes were very open as she put her hands up to her face in horror. "I had no idea!"

"Shh, all t'will be as it should." Mab led her to the couch.

"But I just killed—"

"How long do you think it'll take?" I said, looking at Mab.

"Shouldn't be long now."

Something strange happened. A white glow filled the bathroom, light seemed to shine outward, almost a physical presence into the dim room. It grew brighter and brighter, a sound filling our ears like the hum of a thousand voices gradually rising in volume and intensity. It grew to a painful level, and I had just put my hands over my ears, closing my eyes against the blinding light when it was over.

Harold Dresden, naked, stepped out of the room. His hair was a wiry mess, but otherwise he was unharmed, unmarked, unbroken in any way. I slid my senses out and could feel his spirit back in place as well.

"Holy shit!" Harry said, trying to cover himself up. "What the hell was that?"

Mab smiled brightly. "T'was a Phoenix spell, my Knight."

"A Phoenix Spell?"

"Indeed. Thou has been granted the power of rebirth."

He nodded. "Well, that's cool. I guess? It means I'm basically immortal, doesn't it?"

Mab nodded. "It isn't infinite, my Knight, but I'd say you could regenerate at least a hundred more times. The length between your death and regeneration will increase, however."

"Oh, well, it's still an incredible gift."

Mab smiled thinly. "Don't be so sure, my Knight. I have assigned thee a new task."

"Oh?"

"Until Susan can safely remedy her situation and until Lara is through with you, thou will be their…well, blood doll is the best word for it. Thou shall remain near them at all times, so they might slake their thirst from thee as needed."

"You're saying—"

"Yes, darling." I smiled, drawing my nails down the side of his face. "You are our food now."

He shivered a bit at that, and his face fell.

Susan smiled and took my hand. "Shall we get back to work?"

"Lets," I said

Mab nodded, and we sat back down at the table. Mab's fingers danced on the keyboard as she began a new internet search for Martin's Mother.

Harold sat quietly, naked, watching us with dark, nervous eyes.

up
45 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

smiling

kyro232's picture

1. To quote Thanos "This does put a smile on my face"

2. "Harold" I guess doesn't like being on the receiving end of "His/Her" plot. Still hope for more punishment and backlash to becoming "Harold" way.

3. I guess "Harold" didn't realize the darkness or dark side that "Lara" locked a way and hidden inside wonder when "he" will realize maybe "he" made a mistake.

4. Susan and "Lara" need to take "Harold" right up to the edge of dying. "Lara" should tell Susan that "Harold" taking his life and love way and may include Maggie. I think Susan would be a lot less caring or uncomfortable about killing "Harold" over and over again if that where brought up.

5. I know it's wrong but I Hope we get to see a broken begging "Harold" pleading with "Lara" to stop and mercy. And be asked "When did you think you where going get away with nothing happening to you?" or "Lara" to final venting and unloading on "him" and quite clearly and coldly/sub zero explaining how their relationship will be from now on and how close "Lara" is to going ape shit on "Him" .

6. If we go back a few chapters we see the "Harold" is still the greedy little self centered person "he/she" as always been when talking about who owns the limo. "Harold" can't seem to grasp that "he/she" gave up all the power and influence, protection "he/she" had as Lara. We see it here to with being so happy to jump for a good time to without think maybe it might be a trap. Thinking nothing bad well happen to "him"

7. Have a feeling Murphy's going to come looking for "Harold" and be mad at "Lara" for settling the score a little bit, and sad that Her master/pimp is being used as food. Hope that Murphy says something hurtful again she gets asked why she has the gall to complain and asked are you even the "Murphy" that "Lara" fell in love with or just a plaything/sex slave for "Harold". And get ripped a new one for not trying to help "Lara" when all "Lara "did was exactly what she wanted when "Lara" brought "K. Melons" to life despite it ripping open and leaving a gaping wound in "Lara" for "her" to kill Karrin for Murphy and has got nothing in return accept hurt deeply and wounded emotional and gotten no help in return since."Lara" needs to have Molly/Mab check to see if "Harold slave bond is still working on Murphy and maybe what other side-effect or conditions came along with it like the lowering of IQ that "Harold" mention when"Lara" found out about the demon summoning."Lara" needs to get answers out of "Harold" about what exactly "He" did when "he" summoned the demons, And have Molly/Mab maybe place a spell that forces "Harold" to answer honestly.

8. Keep up the wonderful work,can't wait for more!.

Two birds with one stone

Jamie Lee's picture

Lara caused a problem that can't be reversed because she caused the new Lara to have a climax as well as the new Harry; both actions locked each into the other's body.

THE BOSS has given Susan a time limit to make things right and changed her into a vampire bat that needs to feed on a regular basis. Except, she can't kill anyone and they can't kill her.

What better solution that using the new Harry as the food source, making Lara pay for her egotistical action. And, given her the ability to come back to life for a limited number of times.

This means they now have to help Susan make things right before her time runs out, or their food source is used up.

Lara should have thought things through before switching bodies with Harry. Had she done that all they be doing is helping Susan, instead of killing the new Harry every time it was dinner time. And giving Lara an experience she'd never before experienced.

Others have feelings too.