Dearly Beloved - 26: A Dresden Files Fanfic

Printer-friendly version

The Dresden Files/Codex Alera is copyright Jim Butcher. This story is licensed under the Creative Commons as derivative, noncommercial fiction.

Chapter Twenty Six

Later that afternoon, I found myself at the Carpenter's doorstep again. As usual, I opened the gate and entered, heading for the front door. Almost immediately, something snarling and barking hurtled toward me from the side yard, and I realized Mouse might very well kill me before I even got to the doorbell.

Utilizing my enhanced speed, I darted back behind the gate and closed it. Mouse roared at me, bounding up to the gate, his eyes full of fury and anger. I saw Maggie standing on the porch step, her forefinger in her mouth, watching in curiosity.

"Easy, Mouse, it's me! Lara! I mean, not Lara, it's me…Lara!" Damned stupid compulsion. I dug deep and centered myself, calming, closing my eyes, and opening that part of me that was Harry.

"Harry!" I said, eyes closed. It was very difficult to say that name as applied to me.

Mouse's barking continued but tapered off, and he looked at me with his head turned. I felt something in my mind just then, a probing. I allowed him in, letting him into the container in my mind that was Harry, hugging and holding him.

He whuffed, dancing on his back legs, then whined and went back to Maggie. Michael came out from the house then, carrying a rather large hammer.

"Lara Raith!" Michael said. "You are not welcome here."

I winced, feeling the power behind those words. He was enforcing the power of his threshold. While it wouldn't keep me out, it would strip the little physical power I had.

"Michael, it's…well, it's not really Lara, it's…"

I closed my eyes again, centering, focusing. "Harry."

He frowned. I had told him of the body swap with Murphy, so I knew eventually he would recognize me. "Truly?"

I nodded. "Why, in all the world, would Lara Raith ever approach your door and state she was really—"

Again, I had to close my eyes. "Harry Dresden," I said, my hands still up.

He came and opened the gate, stepping outside.

"How can I know you are really you?"

"Ask me something only Harry would know?"

He frowned, looking me over. I felt myself blush. Michael was a handsome man. Having his eyes on me triggered feelings of seduction, of desire, to make him mine. I focused again, letting go of those feelings, and letting the Harry part of me come forth. Harry, his best friend, Harry, the one who had saved his life, Molly's life, other members of his family in uncountable conflicts, even if they were ones I had unconsciously caused.

He shook his head, then wrapped his arms around me. He smelled like sawdust and old leather. "Harry!"

I hugged him back and let him guide me through the gate. Mouse came over and licked my hand in apology. Lara hated dogs, but I forced myself to crouch down and give him a hug. "I forgive you, boy. Wow, you are one fierce Guardian! I was petrified."

He gave a "Woof!" at that, licking my face.

"Ewww, Dog Germs!" I said, giggling and feeling his warmth and love wash over me. Strangely, it didn't burn, as Murphy's love did.

Maggie approached me. "My Daddy is a girl now?"

I nodded, opening my arms. "Is that okay?"

She giggled and ran into them. I scooped her up. "MissileGirl!" and zoomed her around a few times in a circle.

She giggled, always loving when I did that. I set her back down.

"I think you being a girl is the best thing ever!"

I shrugged my shoulder. "And there you have it."

Taking her hand, we walked into the house.

Michael is deeply rooted in faith. It felt — painful— to be inside. It was like walking into a church. I winced, trying to keep the discomfort at bay. This was my family.

"So, what happened?" Michael said as Charity entered the room.

"What?" She said.

"Honey, that's Harry."

She frowned. "How do we know?"

Michael looked down at Mouse who's tail thumped the floor, staring up at me with a doggy grin. "That's how."

I sat down in the chair, and Maggie jumped up into my lap with a book.

"And that," Michael said.

I smiled, stroking my daughter's hair. She also didn't burn me. Maybe it would happen in time, but so far, the curse of the White Court wasn't manifesting. I was receiving about as much love as a person could get, inside what was probably one of the most blessed places in the country, and I was still standing.

I rubbed at my neck. A bit uncomfortable, but standing. Or sitting.

"Well, Lara, or Harry…do you want some iced tea?"

"Yes, please. Thank you, Charity."

"Yeah, no problem. Does Molly know?"

"Uh, not yet."

"So, what's happened, Harry."

I opened Maggie's book, and between reading it and relating what had happened with Lara, I told them.

About an hour, and two iced-teas later, I finished. The family all sat in the room. Harry Jr, who was no longer little, along with Alicia and Charity, sat in different areas.

"Wow," Alicia said. "I can't believe it! So are you our Aunt now?"

I shrugged. "I suppose. Aunt Lara."

They nodded. Harry Jr. Spoke up. "How does it feel?"

I shrugged. "Oh, it's different. I don't have my magic, for one, well, I have different magic now, but not like I was."

"So, you aren't a Wizard?" Charity said.

Michael looked at his wife. "No, he's a white court vampire."

They gasped at this.

"It's not bad; I definitely won't hurt anyone. White Court vampires don't drink blood, anyway."

"Does that mean you're my mommy now?" Maggie said, with those soulful eyes.

I winced at that, thinking about Susan. Well, lots of kids had two moms, so why not?

"Would you like to call me that? Or you can keep calling me, daddy."

She frowned, concentration drawing her little brows together in an adorable face of concentration. "Yes, I think I would."

"Okay, then. I also remember what I promised you the other day. I'm super sorry I haven't been able to take you to the park, but I thought we could go there now if you'd like."

"Yes!" she said, hopping down. "Can we swing on the swing-set?"

"I hope so!" I said. Taking her hand. "Mouse, you want to come along?"

He huffed and spun around in a circle his tail wagging.

"Anyone else want to join us?"

Michael grinned. "You three go spend some time catching up. Be back before dark, and we'll have dinner ready—" he glanced up at Charity who nodded.

"Sounds good."

The park was only a few minutes away. It wasn't packed, but I was surprised to see how many people were out walking. I tied Maggie's mask around her little mouth and nose.

"Do I haveta wear this?"

"Yes, honey. Until this virus has passed, everyone should."

"Some of those people don't."

"I know, but you do. Okay? I am too."

I pulled on my mask, put on my sunglasses, and grabbed Mouse's leash. He bounded out of my BMW, and we headed over to the play equipment.

I wiped down one of the swings, then lifted my daughter up into the seat. She giggled and laughed as I pushed her, wanting to go higher and higher.

"Faster, Mommy!" she yelled. "Faster!"

It made my heart swell a little when I heard her say that. It called forth feelings I didn't even know I had. Tears bit at my eyes as I swung my little girl, and I realized I wanted to keep swinging, keep playing with her forever.

Mouse bounded around us, barking. I threw his ball, and he chased and returned it, dropping it at my feet in a slobbery mess.

"Ewwww," I said, picking it up and tossing it again.

After awhile, Maggie wanted to go play on the equipment, so I stopped the swing and let her down. She ran over to the jungle gym, giggling and laughing, and I dashed after her as best as I could in my stiletto heels.

She scampered up the stairs and into the maze area. It had a mesh pattern that my heels just would not allow, so I waited at the bottom as she and I played peek-a-boo with her climbing higher and higher.

She began to play with some of the other children, laughing and chasing, so I went and sat on the park bench with Mouse. He dropped the ball at my foot, then lay down, placing his huge doggy head on my stockinged feet.

I sighed, smiling, enjoying the bright sunshine. I knew many vampiric courts could not be out in the sunlight or were at least injured by direct light. I was glad I was not.

I tested my enhanced hearing by seeing if I could pick Maggie's voice out from the rest of the children, and found, to my delight, I could. I could also narrow my vision, able to zoom in on her exact location, and even had some ability to heat sense.

The lake stretched to our left, and I looked into the direction of demonreach. I was able to force my vision to focus on the very distant pinprick, making it zoom in until I could see the trees and the dock. I smiled, happy that at least I had some innate abilities.

As the shadows started to stretch, I called Maggie down. She came reluctantly, and I bought her an ice-cream at the little stand. We had to wait patiently, six feet behind each customer in front of us for the masked attendant to hand us our ice-cream.

As we walked back to my car, I remarked, at least for a little while, I was able to put away the stress and anguish of the last few days.

The only thing missing was Murphy.

I drove us back to the Carpenter House. When I got to the threshold, I stopped.

"Would you like to come in and eat?"

I felt the threshold's power evaporate. Smiling, I said, "Think I'll take a raincheck tonight. I want to go see Murphy before I head home."

Michael nodded. "So, you aren't living with her anymore?"

I shrugged. "White Court Curse."

He nodded, rubbing his beard. "Thomas and—"

"Yeah, I know. But I don't want to put her through that."

He nodded, wrapping me up in a hug. I realized I hadn't…consumed in awhile. It was all I could do to hold back, and not dip just a little from his soul.

"Thank you for coming back, Lara." He said. "The old you would have used this as a reason to stay away for a long while."

"Yeah, I'm over that now. I even told Marcone."

He blinked at that. "Why?"

I shrugged. "He's the baron of Chicago now, and part of the supernatural entities guarding it. I figured I should be forthright in who I was and what happened."

He nodded. "Harry, you're learning!"

I laughed at that. "You can teach this old dog, new tricks."

He grinned, hugging me again. "Well, you are always welcome."

"Thank you."

"Can I come stay with you, Mommy?" Maggie said. She looked up at me with those soulful eyes; I just wanted to cry.

"Soon, baby girl. I promise."

She nodded, looking said. Then she ran up and gave me a hug. "I love you, Mommy."

"Love you too, darling."

Wiping a tear, I left.

up
47 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lessons needing learned?

Jamie Lee's picture

Perhaps what was said at the last is one of the reasons THE BOSS hasn't intervened and fixed everything.

Perhaps another reason is that the real Lara has to learn that life is only boring if me is the center of attention.

And perhaps because Murphy isn't ready to confront her demons yet.

Many have used one excuse or another to sidestep those things in their lives which they don't want to face. If they experience life from a different perspective for a short time, maybe then they'll see what they fear isn't as bad as what some actually face daily.

Others have feelings too.