After Caesar: N21 Chronicles - 2.2

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 2.2

It was a couple of hours later that I was released to my husband’s custody. In all honesty I was quite happy to be in his custody. Doctor Sylvia had declared that I and my baby were in perfect health, and as N22 had only contributed about a twentieth of its original population, there was no problem with my being pregnant!

I’m afraid that on our journey to our new home, I talked John’s ear off so badly that when we arrived, he picked me up and carried me over the threshold. “You’re one or two years late for that, John,” I told him laughing. But to be honest, I had every intention of breaking in our new bed, floor, whatever. As long as I could get a good, hot bath first.

To that end, I went into the bathroom and to my delight, I found that there was a jet tub, large enough for two people. “Oh, John,” I called in a sing-song voice. “Would you come in here for a moment please?” Right beside the tub was an alcove that contained a shower that was plenty large for two people as well. In fact five or six could fit comfortably, but I was quite happy with just us two. John entered, and I looked at him innocently. “I’m going to need help washing my back.” I gave him ‘doe eyes’ then fluttered my eyelashes as best I could. He looked around at the facilities, then without a word, he left.

Great, I thought. I should have cleaned up before I tried to get him in with me. I started the shower, then prepared to disrobe. A moment later, John entered the bathroom carrying two towels and robes. He helped me finish getting undressed, then I helped him. Together, we enjoyed testing the shower, tub, bed, floor…. You understand, I’m sure.


We took about a week to get to know the ship. It was massive! Carla, Colleen and I took a couple of days to scout the shops, of which there were lots.

As I had done on N22, I wanted to scout out the restaurants to see if one run by me would be worthy, so I contacted Rhoda, the commander’s daughter one evening. She told me that she would join me tomorrow and show me around. My two best friends and Gina, Rhoda’s wife joined us. We visited just about every restaurant that served breakfasts that morning. Most of those were on the downstairs side of the ship, which was where John and my rooms were. I was surprised that most of the chefs wanted me to taste their food. I was glad for nanites as I would have put on a lot of weight that morning.

Then, we made some rounds for lunch. Oh no! I was tasting more food, everything from hamburgers to salads, and escargot to jambalaya! It was all wonderful, but I was stuffed just from the samples! Of course all of us got to taste everything; It seemed that all those who accompanied me received them. I was tired after lunch. All the food was heavenly. We went to the beach. Yes! They had a beach! We hadn’t brought anything to sunbathe in (yes. Don’t even ask. There was a faux sun in the sky. I’m not kidding.) so we borrowed some things there. I put on a short white skirt with a matching top. I also had to borrow a pair of sunglasses and a hat. This was heaven after all we’d been through. I was almost in tears, knowing that this had been made to find us.

I lay down on a chaise lounge and dozed off. I woke up to find John sitting beside. “Glad to see you awake, Rose,” he told me. “I was about ready to wake you up. We’ve been asked to join you and go to the second best restaurant on board, for dinner.”

Second best?” I asked. Not that I was upset. If the quality food I’d tasted that day was any indication, we were in for a real treat.

You got me,” he told me. I’m just repeating what I was told.

I sat up, and was again grateful to the nanites for controlling my weight, but I needed to find a restroom and fast! Carla and I hurried off, as the others weren’t present at the moment. When we went in the ladies, the others were there. I didn’t say anything but a hurried, “Hi,” and then was out of sight. I think Carla did as well. A few moments later, I was out, and it was then that I realized I had forgotten my handbag on the beach. I looked in the mirror, and definitely needed some fixing on my face, so went out and grabbed my bag. John got a couple of chuckles in, to which I threatened him with terrible things that night. He intensified his laughs. I promised him a very intense night as payback. For some reason, his laughs didn’t slacken. If anything, they got worse. I’ve really got to work on my definition of horrible.

After I had fixed my makeup, we hurried to our home, and I changed into something for the evening, as did John. We met up at a rather incongruous steakhouse. While I love a good steak (lead in a cow and give me a knife and fork is how I like mine done) I didn’t see one as the second nicest restaurant. I also felt conspicuously overdressed. Once I saw the menu, however, I quickly changed my mind about the food. It was packed with some of the most wonderful sounding meals I had ever seen.

I had no idea what to start with, so rather than make up my mind, I signaled to John to please order. I was overwhelmed. Something I hadn’t had in a long time was that nice rare t-bone, and knowing how much I loved it, John ordered two of them. When it came my eyes widened. It was a ten ounce. Where? I wondered looking down at my stomach.

The first bite of the steak was heaven, and the fried okra was divine. Second best? Really? Thank God for nanites in the blood stream! I was going to need them.

Poor John wanted a taste of my potatoes, and nearly got my fork through his hand. I’m rather possessive with food, but as he knew already, he would get the remainder of my dinner. There was no way I could even begin to eat it all. Then they brought out some homemade chocolate ice cream; on a brownie. I almost died!

When we left, I turned to Paula, who with Fred, had joined us at the steakhouse. “John told me that’s the second best restaurant on the ship. He’s putting me on, right?”

I’m afraid not, Rose. We have one better.”

If it’s better, I have to try it!” I exclaimed.

We came around a corner and I stopped. In front of me was a restaurant called, Heaven’s Rose. What? We entered it, and there was no one there. It looked like it was ready to open, although there were no menus. Gina smiled at me, and led me into the kitchen. It had the best equipment I had ever seen! I came out and was shown the dining areas. “You like?” Fred asked me.

For m-me?” I stammered.

If you want it,” Paula told me. “This building has been here since the ship was built. I’ve been wanting to see it open for a very long time now.”

I couldn’t get words out and Paula said, “Don’t worry about it yet. You don’t need to answer at the moment.” 

I sat down and looked around the establishment.   I had always had a restaurant that I ran. I couldn't even conceive of not having one.  Of course I wanted to do it!  I opened my mouth to say that, but John beat me to it.

"Of course she'll do it."

I wanted to glare at him, but I was too happy.  I had lost one just a few weeks ago, and to now have another one ready for me. 

I discussed with Gina and her father-in-law, what few things I would need to open the doors.  I still had a couple of assistant chefs who would love to help again. That made me think of all the people we wouldn't have.  I kept the tears back, but Fred saw my reaction, and was able to guess what I was feeling.

"We all will have so many people to mourn once this is over."

"Our entire planet," I agreed.  "How could that bastard do this to a planet?"

I saw Fred's demeanor change for a moment, and I wondered why.  

We decided to meet in the briefing room the next day, but for now, we said goodnight and John and I realized that the U from beside the restaurant ended up in our apartment complex.  

We were again on the third floor, but the builders of this ship had made some interesting changes in these complexes. There were no stairs to the upstairs levels.  Instead, the floor curved up and then leveled, all the while with gravity making you walk on what seemed to be a level surface. It was always strange to the eye, and could make even a well person nauseous until they got the hang of things.  John and my walk from the restaurant to our home was about a half mile of a straight walk until we arrived at the landings in our stairwell. 

We got home, and joined each other in the shower, then I fulfilled my dire threats to him.

I was so excited, I couldn't sleep, though.  I kept thinking about the restaurant.

I got up, so I wouldn't wake up my man.  He had done very well, that evening, so I let him sleep without bothering him.  

I sat down in one of our bedroom overstuffed chairs, after I put on my robe.  I watched John for awhile, marvelling once again, how our relationship had come about.  I had now been a woman several times the length of time I had been a man, and I had loved every minute of it.  I often wondered if I had really been a transwoman beforehand, but that didn't seem possible. I hadn't been afraid of John in stage one before I had become a woman.

I wanted to resent that part of Willem's actions, but I couldn't.  I loved John way to much to be upset. 

I'm not sure how long I watched him, but I eventually got up.  I didn't have any instruments yet, except a twelve string. I started playing an upbeat Spanish song from years gone past. I finished it, and put the guitar down.  

I went to the computer, and started looking through some recipes.  Many that were stored were ones that Perl had got from me before we left Earth. In that moment, my love and mourning for her came back, which naturally led to the same feelings for Kari.  Oh, the drawbacks for having a perfect memory thanks to the nanites.

I wanted to forget them, so I looked up some information on our hosts.

What I saw chilled me.  I had not known that Fredrik Freeman and Willem Wallace were brothers.  I didn't know what to think.  

I dug deeper, and found that Freeman had authorized the torture of his brother.  How could he do that? Could I have done that? I didn't know. I knew I couldn't now, but could who I had been do it?  It had been so long ago that I had been a man, I couldn't place myself in that situation.

I remembered Fred's momentary change when I called Willem a bastard earlier.  I wondered what that meant. Did they share some of the same predilections? Did Fred authorize Willem's death to take power for himself?

The records said that Fred demanded no more than a two millennia term for a president, but then he married the next president after she became Paula.  She had been the commander of this ship for over a hundred millennia. In essence, he had power as well.

I didn't know what to think.  I sat up, feeling the sleepless night, but absolutely unable to rest at all.  I wasn't sure I would be able for awhile.




up
42 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

distrusting Fred

I guess that makes sense

DogSig.png

I'm afraid it does.

Rose's picture

I'm afraid it does. There are many reasons to not trust him, even beyond those that Rose thought of in the story, but I think she is simply looking for someone who is still alive that can feel her wrath. Hating someone who is dead is usually unsatisfying. She could also be showing signs of PTSD. I think there's also the fact that she's pregnant. :-D

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary