The New Recruits Part 6

Printer-friendly version

“When is it going to stop raining?” Becky was under a rock ledge watching as the rain came down in buckets.

Everyone had taken shelter under the rock formation at Uluru rock. Tammy and her group managed to reach it early in the morning before the rain started to come down. They had been forced to come by themselves, without Jaxon guiding them. He left on the second day, during the night, saying he would meet them at Uluru rock.

He had shown them what reptiles, snakes and roots they could eat. He showed them how to prepare what they caught. Sometime during the night, he had managed to sneak away from their camp with his camel.

The group had been surprised to learn when they woke-up that he was gone. He had left a note telling them, should they get lost or wanted to give up, to press the button on the tracker he left. The tracker was no bigger than a lady’s lipstick tube.

“I don’t know, but it’s better than the heat we have been experiencing.” Sophie had her shirt and pants off and was just sitting in her underwear.

All their boots were dyed red from the iron content in the dirt they have gone through. All their gear and backpacks were dusty and red. The temperatures had been in the high 100’s this past week. So, most of the team was enjoying the rain as it came down.

Greg and Dave were cleaning their weapons. Tammy, Stanley, Jerry, and Zak were watching the rain as it comes down. David was sharping their knives. One of his knives had become dull, so he was working on that one and three others that belonged to his teammates.

“Did Jaxon say when he would be picking us up?” Jerry was curious.

“No, he just said he’ll meet us here to transport us to our Rainforest training.” Stanley had read the letter he left.

“Maybe all this rain is preventing him from showing up.” Becky had accomplished the task she had been assigned by the training camp IT administrator.

“Well, I’m glad we don’t have to eat any more lizards for dinner.” Sophie had taken one of the MRE’s in her pack out and was enjoying it.

“Don’t bet on it, Sophie. We still have the rain forest training to go through.” Jerry was ready to get out of this rain.

“What training do we have after this and the rainforest?” Sophie looks towards Stanley and Tammy for them to answer.

“Arctic and mountain training. We will either be sent to Antarctica or the North Pole for training. As for our mountain training. We are going to Everest to help clean up the trash that climbers have left behind and helped bring down any frozen bodies of climbers still up there.” Tammy was looking forward to that training.

“Unless Mrs. Bounty has a mission for us.” Dave would love a mission right now.

He feels that they have proven they could survive and take anything that might come up. They had skills that most military or law enforcement didn’t. He watches as the rain slows down some.

Late in the afternoon, a big semi-truck with two trailers pull into the parking lot. Jaxon hops down out of the semi and over to where Tammy and her group had taken shelter out of the rain.

“You mates ready to head to your next grand adventure?” Jaxon could tell this group was weary and tired.

Greg looks over towards the semi and the trailers “are we going in that?”

“Yeah, mate you are. How else do you think I’m going to transport the camel’s and you?” Jaxon figures he’ll drop the camel’s off first at his ranch and transport the group and some supplies for a town up near where he was going off.

“This should be fun.” As Zak and Dave lead everyone over to one trailer.

Jaxon helps them get the camels situated before the group gets comfortable inside the other part of the trailer. He hops into the cab and drives them back to Alice Springs. The semi he was driving belonged to a friend of his. It was midnight by the time Jaxon and the group he was training arrived at his place.

“Why don’t you mates go inside and get some sleep before we head out tomorrow morning.” Jaxon takes the camels out and put them inside the corral to graze.

Everyone drags themselves into the bunkhouse. They didn’t even bother to undress. They just laid down on their bunks in the clothes they were currently wearing. All of them were tired and fell instantly to sleep.

0500hrs.:
Jaxon bangs a trash can to wake the group up. He wanted to get an early start, so he could come home early afterward. The person who was going to train them in rainforest survival was a person he knew very well and was a park ranger at the rainforest.

“What is it with people getting up this early?” Sophie was still sleepy.

“Better get used to it, Sophie. We will never know when we’ll be called to go on assignment.” Zak was up and ready to go.

“She does have a point, Zak. We only got about four hours of sleep.” Dave covers a yawn up.

“Look, people, we signed up for this. We can always drop out.” Tammy looks towards her teammates. She was tired and sleepy, but they asked
for this type of training. They were going to prove to everyone that they could handle anything that comes up.

Jerry yawns as he puts on a t-shirt that had their logo on it. He resettles his pack, so it is easier to carry. By the time the group is ready to leave. They were all semi-awake as they loaded into the trailer, they came in. It was going to be a long ride to the rainforest.

Jaxon looks at everyone “there’s been a changed of plans. We’re not driving to the rainforest. I was instructed to take you to the airport and you’re going to fly to Kuranda National Park. You’ll meet your new trainer there.”

“How will we recognize our new trainer?” Greg wonders why they changed the plan.

“Oh, trust me. You’ll recognize her. She’s a big ole Shelia with big melons. She’ll also be wearing a ranger uniform.” Jaxon has met her a few
times when he has gone to talk with her about the person paying them.

Jaxon takes them to the airport, where they board a sky diving plane. Jaxon talks to the pilot for a few minutes. Afterward Jaxon walks off to take care of business.

The pilot turns to face everyone “put your parachutes on. You’ll be jumping out once we are over the drop zone.”

“I wished I had my squirrel suit.” Stanley knew Tammy, Jerry, Dave, and Greg loved sky diving.

Sophie looks at him as she puts her parachute on. She wonders what a squirrel suit was. She has never seen one.

“Hey, Stanley. What is a squirrel suit?” Sophie was curious.

“It’s a suit that allows you to glide on the air current. Have you ever seen the movie Tomb Raider? The one with Angelina Jolie in it?”

“Yes, I’ve seen the older movie,” Sophie remembered watching both movies.

“Well, it’s the suits they used to escape from the building being built.” Stanley figured everyone has seen them in the movies.

“Ah, but aren’t they kind of dangerous?”

“For an inexperienced person yes, they are. However, me, Tammy, Dave, Greg, and Zak are experienced skydivers. So, we know how to use them.” Stanley has done some crazy things like skydiving.

The flight from Alice Springs to the rainforest takes them about five hours. Once they were over where the pilot was instructed to take them. He switches the lights in the back to let them know to get ready to jump.

“Alright, mates have fun.”

“I really hate my uncle.” As Sophie follows Becky and Tammy out of the plane.

Stanley, Dave, Greg and Jerry were enjoying themselves and showing off as they went down. Becky had pulled her chute and so did Sophie as well. They drift down to the landing zone they were told. There was a heavy-set woman with short brown hair, wearing a ranger uniform waiting for them.

Elizabeth watches as eight chutes drift down to her location. There were five blokes and three Shelia’s among the mob. She just waits as each one touched down.

Elizabeth looks at all of them “Welcome to Kuranda National Park. I’m Elizabeth and I’ll be your trainer for the week.”

up
206 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cool.

WillowD's picture

This is one of your stories that I particularly like.

nice to see Alice Spring in

Nice to see Alice Spring in the story.
The airport there is named after a distance member of my family.
There used to be an air line of the same name. later changed to Connair.. Prefect name from Australia with the number of convict sent there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connellan_Airways
Ayers Rock Airport (also known as Connellan Airport)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayers_Rock_Airport

This should be

Samantha Heart's picture

An intresting week to say the least.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.