A Thief’s Problem –chp1

Printer-friendly version

A Thief’s Problem.

142px-US_Marshal_Badge.png

Sister Magdalena, a.k.a. Angelic DeMarco, finds evidence of more than just illegal art trade while recovering a stolen painting in the home of a known criminal. Her investigation leds to the US and a very problematic situation with the US Department of Justice.

by Snowfall and Jessie Wolf.

Dedicated to the men and women of the US Marshal Service.

Edited by my husband Paul, and AJC Snowfall.

~o~O~o~


This is a work of fiction an any persons in this work are purely fictional.


Chapter 1
Headquarters for the Gendarmerie Corps, Vatican City
Sister Magdalena, aka Angelic DeMarco walked the walls of Headquarters in a troubled silence. Her last operation had been a success. But the successful recovery of the long lost Nazi looted painting came with a price. Her Superior had ordered her to recover the ‘lost’ painting from Drug Lord Dajon Borgatti. It had taken her three days of scouting to get all the needed intel on the man’s home in the city of Nice, in southern France on the Mediterranean coast. Once inside, it took all of her considerable resolve to not violate her vows of non-violence. The man and his men were such pigs that Sister Magdalena had seriously considered joining the Guild of the Moonless Wraths. She knew; had her aunt Maria been present, none of the men in that home would be alive today.

Instead; Dajon Borgatti and his thugs now resided in Fresnes Prison. Located in the town of Fresnes, Val-de-Marne South of Paris. She knew that the Gendarmerie Corps had to work with Interpol at times. All too often, their justice often took precedence over real justice in her eyes. That just stealing back the stolen or looted art and antiquities was all they would get at times. Also, she had no choice but to let some criminals live to face the courts instead of turning them over to local organizations. Acceptance of those facts were a test of her faith. This recent case, however; truly tested both her vows and her faith in not only the Justice system, but in the very Lord himself. It was the sights of what else she had found in that house that haunted her dreams and waking hours. Even now, three months after the operation, she still had not confessed to Father Frances her Confessor what she saw.

In her report to her Superior; she had outlined what she saw but could not go into detail. Not just because of what troubled her, but because of what it could mean for U.S. and Vatican diplomatic relations. Relations already strained, due to the continued sexual abuse scandals surrounding certain Dioceses in the United States. If what she had found were to ever become common knowledge those already strained relations could very well snap. The very problem she struggled with now was, who to tell? Who could she reveal this information to, that would take action, but not damage control?

She knew her Supervising Superior Officer in the Gendarmerie would push for her to bury the knowledge. The Priest was more concerned at times over political appearance than seeking justice. Her Mother Superior for her Order wanted her to just Confess what she had seen to Father Frances and let him decide what to do. Her contacts with Interpol wanted to handle the problem quietly by ignoring the connections to America. Everywhere she turned; Sister Magdalena was being told to just let what she found at Borgatti’s home, go. Something that her conscience would never let her do. Justice had to be done in her eyes and heart.

That was the way of the DeMarco and Capizeo families. For over four hundred years they had brought justice to those who believed themselves above the laws. The Guild of the Moonless Wraiths had long ago passed into legend in the old countries. Only here in Rome and Italy were they even still talked about. Even then those who talked about those assassins did so with hushed reverence. It was said that they walked as vengeful ghosts in the shadows of a moonless night. Neither seen, nor heard, with their passing always marked by death.

Magdalena reached in the pocket of her vestments. Looking around to make sure that she was alone she pulled out the nondescript business card. On the front of it was a single international phone number. A phone number that was good for a one time use. She knew that on the other end of that phone call waited Death incarnate. Unlike the rest of the Gendarmerie Corps and most of Interpol, Sister Angelic Magdalena knew the truth about the legendary United States Marshals’ Black Badge Division. They were real and they did not arrest individuals. The Black Badges were the bloody righthand of Lady Justice. She also knew that if she made this phone call, she may very well have to leave her Sisterhood. All of that was as certain as the crucifix around her neck. Just as much as that if she didn’t make the call, a group of people would never face justice.

No matter how it came, it was down to her. It was this decision that was testing her faith. She knew that calling her aunt meant unleashing a force of nature that only brought vengeful death. She knew that her father would just tell her to say fuck the Monsignor and just call her aunt. But was it the Christian thing to do? Could she turn loose such a terrifying force? Even in the pursuit of justice? For the first time in her young life as a Nun, Sister Magdalena was at a crossroads of faith. With a heavy sigh, she put the card back in her pocket.

In a voice barely above a whisper, Angelic admitted. “Not yet, I need more guidance.”

The young Nun headed for Confession. She would confess her sin of omission to Father Lawrence. One of the few Priests that the Gendarmerie could use outside of their organization. Then she would ask for guidance and her penance. After that, she would do what must be done. As the young Nun approached the Confessional, she began to doubt her decision. In that moment of doubt, she stepped over to one of the pews and prayed. It was there with her hands clasped in a death-grip, head bowed in prayer and sweat running down her forehead that Father Lawrence Jacobs found her hours later.

“Tell me Sister. What demon haunts you so that you would pray for the very Arch Angels to descend on vengeful wings? Why would you call for the Angel of Death?” The Priest asked.

“I am having a crisis of faith, Father.” Magdalena answered truthfully before sighing. “One that I doubt even the General of Heaven and wielder of the Holy Flame, Arch Angel Michael can help with.”

“I see. Enter the Confessional Sister. I would hear your confession.” Father Lawrence turned and walked toward the confessional knowing the Nun’s vow of obedience would have her hot on his heels.

What he would hear would soon have him questioning his own faith. If only half of what Sister Magdalena told him was true, then there truly was a need for the Iscariot Division of the Gendarmerie Corps. Lawrence long believed that such need for the shadowy group of Priests and Nuns were a throw back to the past. That there was no need for them anymore. The days of using criminals to bring justice to those who abused their power were over. He now knew he was wrong.

“Your penance for your sin of omission will be ten Hail Mary’s and ten Our Fathers with an act of contrition. Also, ten minutes of your time outside.” He stated then exited.

Once outside of the Confessional; Father Lawrence turned to the Dominican Nun for the Saint Nicholas Order. “Sister Magdalena, I know that what you have done was to protect our beloved Church from more scandal in the United States. Though I cannot help but to wonder what else we can do? We have to report what you found. I also know that your Superior is an uncaring man when it comes to crimes outside of his division. Yet we cannot let this go unchallenged.”

“Father I know of someone that can help us. It would mean going to someone outside of the Gendarmerie though. I also fear that if I were to go to these people it would be breaking with my vows to my Order.” Angelic sighed heavily. “That is why I was praying so hard when you found me. I was asking for guidance.”

“This is one time that being a Confessor for the Gendarmerie is a blessing. Wait here for me to return Sister.” With that the Priest turned and walked towards the back of the chapel.

Angelic returned to the pews, pulling out her rosery and knelt. She figured that she had time to say some of her penance and started with a Hail Mary. She had just started her third Hail Mary when Father Lawrence returned.

He waited for her to complete her Hail Mary before waving for her to follow him. “Come with me Sister. The Bishop will see you now.”

Angelic had no idea of which Bishop Father Lawrence was taking her to see. It wasn’t like she could go before just any Bishop with this information. Hell, depending on which Bishop she was taken before, she could very well be Ex-communicated at the worse. At the least; made to take vows of silence. Most likely though, she would be released from her vows to her Order and returned to her family in shame. If she was given the third option, she won’t be heading home. She would exchange her plane ticket, for the Caribbean instead.

All she would pack would be her black tights, long sleeve leotard, faux leather fleece lined leggings, zipper front jacket, knee high soft sole leather boots and a pair of elbow length gloves. Last would be her custom made nylon vest and weapons belt. Because of her vows; all of Angelic’s weapons were all non-lethal. A pistol that fired a ten-millimeter tranquilizer dart designed to drop a suspect in seconds. Next were the sting-ball grenades. These were basically flash-bang grenades that ejected rubber balls at non-lethal speeds, but fast enough to knock someone out. Then there were the two collapsible ASAP tactical batons for hand to hand. These were followed by a modified tazer gun. Instead of only reaching fifteen feet, this one had a range of close to twenty-five feet. Lastly in there was her family knife. These she would put in a diplomatic compartment of her suitcase.

Of all things in the world that Angelic could do, there was one that Angelic would not do. That would be to return to her family; in shame. She would die before letting that happen. She would also find her aunt Maria and give her the information that she found at Dajon Borgatti’s place. Then sit back and let the Hounds of Hell find their next meal. Magdalena was brought out of her dark thoughts as she was led through the cloister and into the Chapter-house. She was more than a little surprised by the man that was waiting there. The black and red vestments marked this man as a Bishop, but she did not recognize the man. Sister Magdalena thought she knew all of the current Bishops in Roma.

Lawrence waved her forward as he announced. “Sister Magdalena, allow me to introduce His Excellency Karl Ferdinand from our intelligence unit; the Iscariot Division. He will hear your story child.”

With that Father Lawrence turned and left the troubled Nun in the hands of the one man he knew could help her. There was a reason for Karl Ferdinand was the Bishop for the Iscariot Division. One that only a very few select people within the Church knew. Not even the Pope knew who the man had once been before coming to the Church.

Only two people in all of the Catholic Church knew who Karl Ferdinand used to be. The First was the Captain of the Pontifical Swiss Guard. The other was a humble Priest that had spent twenty-five years in the US Army as a Chaplin and was now the Bishop’s confessor. There was only one man outside of the Vatican that knew who Karl Ferdinand used to be. And he was as big a secret as the Bishop.

“Father Lawrence tells me that you have a problem Sister Magdalena. One so great, it has caused you to question your faith. Tell me of your burden. Mayhap between the two of us we could find a way for you to regain your faith.” The Bishop offered.

“I don’t know where to begin, Your Excellency.” The young Nun stated truthfully. “The secret that I now hold could very well destroy our relations with the US Government. This could very well be a bigger scandal than the Sexual Abuse cases within the Pennsylvania diocese.”

“I see. Then start with by how you came by this information, Sister.” Bishop Karl knew about the young Nun’s unusual background. He had been the one to send Father Orlando Genovese to ‘convince’ her to join the Sisters of Saint Nicholas and the Gendarmerie Corps of the Vatican City.

“It started with a standard Nazi looted art retrieval Your Excellency. We have been tracking this one painting for the last eighty-five years. It was first stolen from a Jewish owned museum in Würzburg Germany in nineteen-thirty-four. It was next seen in the personal collection of Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring, in thirty-eight. In forty-three it along with a good portion of the Göring collection went missing. The painting was next seen in the personal collection of Hans Goodier in fifty-nine, where it was stolen from his home. It next surfaced in France on the black market two years ago. Before our agents could purchase the painting; a known Drug Lord, one Dajon Borgatti, secured the painting. I was given permission by my Supervisor in the Stolen Art Division to scout and recover the painting at all costs.” Sister Magdalena sighed and took deep breath. She knew the next part was going to be the hardest.

Karl sensed the Nun’s distress. “Tell me about this painting Sister. Why is it so important that you were given permission to secure it by less than normal means.”

“It is one of the few portraits credited to Karel Dujardin. Done during his earlier years before his first patron. It is one of the rarest paintings by a Dutch Master of the seventeenth century. The fact that it was stamped with the Star of David by the Nazis and was not destroyed makes it one of the greatest treasures of our times.” Magdalena sighed and looked down at her hands. “The Nazis destroyed thousands of paintings, statues, and antiques of all types. To keep them out of the hands of the Allied Armies and to further suppress Jews.”

“I see. Tell me something Sister; you are Catholic in your upbringing. What is it about that dark time in our history and that painting that troubles you so?” Karl knew that there was more going on with the young Nun.

“I can only tell you that there are people in my family who have direct connections to the Holocaust and are survivors of that terrible time. That painting belongs to the Holocaust Survivors museum. Not to some thug with too much money and not enough common sense or good taste. I was more than happy to have the chance to steal that painting back for the Church.” Magdalena sighed. “I just wish that I had never seen that computer file. Over eight-hundred underage ‘mail-order brides’ sold across the World all from Eastern European countries. Girls barely legal enough to travel are being ‘married’ to men well into their forties and fifties.”

“Tell me Sister why did you hack Borgatti’s computer? That is not your normal operational expertise. Surely, all you needed to do was recover the painting and leave. What were you looking for?” Karl knew that there was more to the story.

“I was looking for Borgatti’s illegal art dealer contacts, Your Excellency. We have been trying to shutdown the flow of looted antiquities and art through Europe for years. I saw a chance to gain access to that information and took it. I used a hacking program to break into Borgatti’s computer that came into my possession a few months back.” Magdalena wasn’t going to tell the Bishop who had given her that program. No way in hell was she going to even think about exposing her cousins. She knew that her aunt would be very upset with her for endangering her granddaughters.

“I take it that the people who gave you this program wish to remain anonymous?” Karl asked her with a knowing smirk. He waved his hand to reassure the young Nun that he understood. “What is it about these teenager girls that has you so upset that you sense a danger to the Church?”

“Most of the girls come areas with a heavy Catholic presence.” Magdalena sighed. “Excellency, all of those girls were supposed to be headed for convents in the West. Most of these girls came from poor families. They were given over to their local convent and were promised that the girls would be treated as Novices until they reached their majority. Instead, they have basically been shipped off to become some leech's sexual plaything under the guise of wife.”

Karl saw what the young Nun didn’t. “And being good Catholic girls, they don’t think twice about disobeying the orders of the Sisters. They go willingly into those marriages and not questioning the morality of marrying a man old enough to be their fathers. To add to their misery, they are all from poor yet honorable families, they do not wish to return to their families in disgrace.”

“Exactly, Your Excellency. I would have no problem turning this over to the American FBI and Interpol, were it not for those girls.” Magdalena took a deep breath before continuing. “Excellency, our problem is compounded even more by the fact that two of Borgatti’s underworld contacts for stolen or looted art are both Americans.”

“First off; are these Americans well known?” Magdalena nodded her head yes. “Do they have powerful contacts within their Government?” Again, Magdalena nodded. “Are they connected to the trafficking of the girls?” This time Magdalena shrugged her shoulders. “Don’t you know?”

“This is where things get crazy Your Excellency. The Eastern Europe convents used a reputable shipping firm to handle the transport of the girls between convents. Somewhere between the time they leave their home convent to where they end up, they are sold. I have yet to figure out how the US convents are connected to all this yet. I just know that there are only four.” Magdalena explained for the Bishop.

Bishop Karl Ferdinand knew that Sister Magdalena wanted to go after the Americans for exploiting the teenage novices. The problem was her vows to her Order. Not many young women join the Order of Saint Nicholas as Nuns. Even fewer young men join the order. Their vows of total obedience and secrecy made the order the perfect spies for the Church’s Intelligence agency. Most of the young men and women who join the order of Saint Nicholas had rather colorful backgrounds. Almost all the members were at one time thieves. Very few people outside of the Church knew of the order. Only the Iscariot Division was a greater secret. Mainly because their members were all once either thieves, assassins, soldiers or spies. The Church went to great lengths to hide and protect these reformed criminals.

“You wish to go after these people don’t you, Sister Magdalena?” Karl asked her bluntly. Only to get a shameful nod of the Nun’s head. “Do you have a plan?”

“No, Your Excellency. I do have someone that could help me. I would need to make a phone call or use a computer to send an email. They will help without question.” Magdalena felt that she should be as honest as possible. “I know that if I were to use my contact for help; I would be releasing a force of nature. One that once loosed upon these people, the only justice they will face is the justice found at the end of a gun barrel or knife point.”

Karl just chuckled. “Yes, working with family can be trying at times. Wait here for my return Sister. I will make your call for help much easier to make. Before you ask; the answer is no. You will neither have to leave your Order nor renounce your vows.”

Sister Magdalena had no idea what the Bishop was going to do or who he was going to call. She only knew that he had ordered her to wait for him to return in the Chapter-house. Reaching inside the pocket of her habit's skirt she pulled out the pocket watch her father had gifted her. Like a lot of the Sisters that worked with the public Magdalena was allowed this luxury. Opening the plain silver pocket watch, she checked the time. She sighed as she realized that she would be in trouble with her Mother Superior for missing the noon meal, again. She only hoped that the Bishop would make her late for the evening meal and prayers.

Nondescript Office Building in Washington D.C. 0945 local time…
The desk phone had only rang once before the man seated behind the desk snatched it up. In a gruff manner he said. “Report.”

“Hello, old friend. I see you are still as cordial as always.” The voice was one from his past. One that belonged to a friend from his younger years. A friend that had last been seen shortly after being ordained that now said the confirmation code. “I; who offers Absolution, seeks Him, who brings Resolution.”

“I haven't heard your voice is a long time. How are you? Still driving His Holiness crazy with that bunch of miscreants you call an Intelligence Agency?” the nondescript man asked in jokingly.

“Oh, I have been able to curtail some of my more rambunctious members. Just as you have done with your own organization, my friend.” The man on the other end of the line chuckled. “Paul, that is the name you go by now, yes? I have a problem. One that can very well cause problems for both your government and the Holy Roman Catholic Church.”

“Alright Karl, talk to me. You’ve never once called me for help. Whatever it is must be smelly. Do you need one of my operatives?” Karl Ferdinand was one of the few people who knew that Paul Dannigan was the head of OCIA.

“No. But I know that you would know who I needed to contact for a certain group of U.S. Deputy Marshals. The ones that carry the Black Badge.” Karl knew that if anyone knew about those mysterious Law Officers it would be that long ago friend now calling himself Paul Dannigan. “This is a matter that must be handled in the light of day and shadows.”

Paul almost chuckled at their old code phrase for a black bag operation done above board. “Why do you think there is such a thing as a Black Badge Division of the U.S. Marshals, Karl? I mean they’re nothing more than legend.”

Paul figured he need more information before he pulled out one of hole cards. “Please old friend, do not insult me or my organization. We know the legends are true. We also know that they have returned from the mists of legend to bring justice to those who believe themselves above the law. We do more than just hear things. We double-check the facts for what we hear. Now who do I contact for the Black Badges? Time is of importance here.”

Paul thought about how to keep the two houses of the OICA separate and still give his old friend the help he needed. “I can get them in touch with you Karl. It will cost you though. The Marshal that runs that unit is not known for taking bullshit. I will tell you this now Karl. Unless you have someone the Marshal can trust, you can forget about receiving any help. She’s not about to endanger her people for just anyone. She wouldn’t even do that for me.”

“I see. Would the Marshal trust a Sister of the Saint Nicholas Order?” Karl asked not knowing exactly who the Marshal was. But he knew that Sister Magdalena was beyond approach. The young woman carried her secrets like she wore her habit. Impeccably.

“She might if it was the right one, Karl. Who do you have in mind?” Paul asked.

“The same Sister that brought the problem to my attention. Sister Magdalena of Saint Nicholas. She is one of finest art recovery specialists.” Paul’s chuckling interrupted Karl in his description of the Sister. “I take it you know of her?”

“Let’s just say that I have an extensive file on the young lady.” Paul chuckled. Paul was not about to tell his old friend that he was the Nun’s uncle by marriage to her aunt Maria. Nor was he going to tell the head of the Iscariot Division that he had access to that organization's formidable database. Paul had done a complete background done on all of Maria’s family. Sister Magdalena was the easiest. Thanks mostly to Maria providing most of the information. “I am a little surprised that the Order of Saint Nicholas would take in a DeMarco though.”

“Why should that be a surprise, old friend? After all Saint Nicholas is the patron Saint of thieves. What better place for reforming such individuals?” Karl chuckled.

“More like if you can’t reform them use them, you old dog. You forget who you’re talking to. Besides, if I could ever get a trained DeMarco under my command, I would definitely use their special skills to remove more than a few problems.” Paul wisecracked knowing that he did have such a person working for him. He actually had five such individuals that worked for him. “Karl, have your Nun in your office in one hour. Have her ready to answer some questions. The Marshal still has the final say on whether her team will help. If she says yes, your Nun needs to be ready to fly. Can you arrange for an Apostolic Letter and Diplomatic passport for the Nun?”

“I can have it done within the hour. I’ll let you make your call and fetch my Nun. Don’t worry Paul. If she has to fly out tonight, she’ll have what she needs to get the job done. Where do you want her to land?” Karl asked him.

“Daytona International with a connecting flight to Key West. Why, you paying? That’ll be a first.” Paul joked with the Bishop.

“Yes. This is one time that the Vatican will be in debt to whoever handles this mess for us. Paul, I will not joke about this my friend. The Church has a problem that must be handled by an outside source. For no other reason than to repair our honor and dignity in the eyes of the world.” Bishop Karl Ferdinand stated bluntly. “As much as I would love to handle this in house I cannot. Not with the way that we have been portrayed in the world press lately.”

Paul thought about what his friend just said. He like a lot of Americans had been watching the coverage of the sexual abuse cases in Pennsylvania. Paul also knew that there was more than a few Congressmen and Senators pushing to have the Priests who had been accused of sexual abuse be tried in civil courts. This push was causing a strain on the diplomatic relations between the US and the Vatican.

“Tell me something Karl. Does this problem have anything to do with the possible smuggling of arms, drugs, stolen art, and human trafficking?” This was something that Paul need to know so he could brief Maria.

“Is there a box for ‘all the above’? You have named just about every crime Paul. The only one you left out was antiquities smuggling. Don’t say that falls under art theft because it deals with a totally different market.” Karl answered.

“I'll take your word on that. Tell me about the human trafficking.” Paul demanded. For the next ten minutes Karl went over what he knew of the trafficking. When he got done Paul was not happy. “What you’re telling me, is this: somewhere here in the U.S. there are two or three scumbags snatching up teenaged Novices and forcing them to become mail-order brides. Said Novices are being shipped over from the East European Catholic population centers. That kicker is; most of these girls are barely old enough to join a convent, let alone enter into marriage legally. Have I missed anything?”

“No, you haven’t. I wish that I could tell you more Paul, but the sacrament of the Confessional prevents that. I’m sorry.” Karl truly was sorry he couldn’t say more.

“No need to apologize Karl. Pain in the ass, but I get it. You have your belief, I have mine. Try not to take such offense." Dannigan snarked.

The Bishop had been drinking some water and almost choked then sputtered. “Offense? 'Major', you forget, I presided over your funeral.”

Dannigan was smiling. “Please. You only spoke. It's not like you had to carry the coffin.”

“No. You did that yourself. It was all I could do not to smite such flippant conduct. I saw you smirking the entire time and even mocked by pretending to sniffle and wipe non-existent tears. Such a sacrilege.” Karl scolded.

“The first time is always memorable.” Dannigan quipped.

Karl sighed heavily. “Forgive him, Heavenly Father, for he truly is an Ass that should be struck upon the jawbone.”

“I’ll let you go. I need to make a call. Goodbye old friend.” Paul wanted to spend more time catching up with his old friend but knew that wasn’t possible. Bishop Karl Ferdinand was the same man he had shared a foxhole with all those years ago. Paul hung up the phone then called for his secretary. “Madison, get Kimberly or Krystle on the line.”

“They’re both holding on line One Major.” Madison called back. “I figured they were your next call. Sir, you’ve never taken a call from the Vatican before. Why now?”

“Personal favor for an old friend. Leave it at that, please?” Paul sighed.

“Yes sir. Kimberly is waiting sir.” Madison replied before returning to her work. She knew that whatever this was about deeply troubled her boss. She just hoped that the Military side of the OICA could be used. She knew that the Major worried every time the Black Badges were deployed anymore. Mostly because of the active part that Maria DeMarco took in their operations of late.

Paul picked up the phone and hit the button. “Full recall for the Black Badges, Captain. They have a mission stateside with overseas connections.”

“Yes sir. How long until full briefing?” Kimberly asked

“Two hours. Get on it, Captain. Out” Paul hung up the phone. He leaned back in his chair and sighed. He looked up at the wall behind his desk at the clock. “Maria should have the girls in her studio about now. I wonder when she’ll be ready to pass on her titles to Sam and Annette.”

Headquarters for the Gendarmerie Corps, Vatican City....
Bishop Karl Ferdinand returned to the Chapter-house to find Sister Magdalena kneeling in prayer. He waited for her to finish her current Hail Marry. “How far have you gotten with your penance Sister?”

“That was my last Hail Mary, Your Excellency.” Magdalena answered as she stood up.

“Well, you’ll have plenty of time for the Our Fathers during your flight. Go pack your bags and return in forty-five minutes.” Karl turned to leave but stopped. “Be sure to pack your specialty equipment Sister. You’ll be needing it.”

As he turned to leave Magdalena asked. “Will I have to renounce my vows, Excellency?”

“No need for that worry child. You are being sent as our guiding hand. The morality of our cause is a just if dark one. You have forty-five minutes.” Bishop Karl walked away leaving a very stunned Nun in his wake. “Welcome to the Iscariot Division. You can take your new vows before you leave. We have a saying among the Iscariots. All gypsies, tramps and thieves are welcome among our ranks.”

Sister Magdalena for the Order of Saint Nicholas, once known to the world as Angelic DeMarco, hurried to carry out the orders of the Bishop. That and his departing comment. She knew she fit at least two of those criteria. The DeMarco’s may be from good Sicilian stock, but her mother was a gypsy. Clarice Moretti DeMarco may have married into the DeMarco family, but before donning the apron of a mother she was one of the greatest cat burglars in all of Europe. Her father may have taught her the ways of the DeMarcos’, but it was her mother who taught her to be a thief.

Not just any thief, but to be her successor. Only a very small few knew that the daughter of the Ice Queen was Kitty Soft-Paws. Even fewer knew that Kitty Soft-Paws was in fact a Nun with the Order of Saint Nicholas. The truth was only the Arch-Bishop for the Arch-Diocese of Agrigento, her Mother Superior and Father Orlando, a simple parish priest in her hometown. Only those three people within the Church knew her secret. The rest who knew her secret were all family and only the Devil could get them to talk. These thoughts ran through her head as she hurried back to her cell in the Convent. She knew that she didn’t have much time. For whatever reason, the Bishop wanted her packed and ready to fly. Where she was going would remain a mystery until the Bishop told her.

Home of Maria DeMarco, Ram’s Rock Island: 1345 local time.
Maria was in her studio watching over her daughters and granddaughters practice when the house phone rang. She reached over and shut off the music before picking up the receiver. “Hold one Kimberly. Take five girls, get some water. Kristine when we return, I want you to concentrate more on where you place your feet for the backhand thrust. What can I do for you Kimberly?”

“The Major called Marshal. He needs you and your team in the T.O.C. in twenty-five minutes. Sorry for the short notice. This is a war-footing call, Marshal.”

“I’ll have them down there in time. Thank you for the warning dear. Is this call for all of the OICA or just my Black Badges?” Maria asked quickly.

“Just your team for now Marshal. I don’t know what is going on, but the Major seemed worried about something. I have feeling that something big is in the pipeline.”

“Thank you, dear. We’ll be along shortly.” Maria hung up the phone and turned to her daughters and granddaughters. “As you heard we have a contract in the works girls. Samantha, where are Robert and Hunter?”

“Both are out on the range right now. They said something about testing a new hand load for our Cheytac Intervention 408 sniper rifles. I don’t think they’re happy with the factory loaded rounds.” Samantha answered with a quirky smile. Sam knew how picky a sniper could be about their bullets. Let alone about their rifles.

“Not that I blame them mom. Those factory loads aren’t worth a shit for consistency. I swear; I fired one round that hit four inches above the target. I think that the only way that we’re going to get any type of consistency out of our sniper rounds is to hand load each and every round.” Annette said with a smile. “The boys have been out there every day for the last month testing new loads. I don’t think we want to interrupt them right now for a warning brief. We might need those rounds.”

“Nonnina, I hate to say this, but mama Annette may be right. We can handle the briefing. Then Kris and I can give them a breakdown later.” Kasey pointed out. Kristine just stood next to her sister nodding her head.

Maria thought about what her granddaughters and daughters were telling her. She knew that of the four young women in the studio with her. Three of them were trained in the art of assassination by sniper rifle. They were Sam, Kasey, and Kristine. While Sam had been trained by her father Marko Capizeo, her two granddaughters were trained by four of the best trained snipers in the world. If anyone knew the need for consistency in sniper rounds, it would be these three women.

“Very well. We shall leave them to their work. Grab your wraps and sandals girls. We have a briefing to attend.” Maria set actions to words by wrapping her sarong around her waist and pulling on her sandals. With that simple addition to her wardrobe she went from ballet mistress in leotard and tights to island sheik.

The five Demarco women walked out the studio with Maria in the lead. As they exited the house Anna looked up from her place sunning on the patio. The aging assassin just smiled at Maria. “Do I need to join you, my Donna?”

“Not at this time Anna. Enjoy your sun time. Besides, Mindy should be home from school within the hour. You know she will be up here as soon as she can for you to help her with her homework and treat.” Maria told her as she waved her old friend back to her chaise longue. The four younger members of the Black Badge Deputies just smiled at the interaction of the two old friends.

Anna just leaned back in her chair and returned to her book. Feeling slightly whimsical Anna waved her hand above her head. “Have fun, storming the castle.”

Anna’s wisecrack had two very different reactions from the Deputies. Samantha and Annette both groaned while Kasey and Kristine burst into giggles. Maria smirked before saying. “That will teach you the dangers of allowing the girls to invite Anna to your family movie nights. By the way who picked that particular movie?”

Both teens answered at the same time while giggling. “Mindy!”

“Good. Let her continue to pick the movies girls.” Both Samantha and Annette groaned at hearing this but wisely said nothing more. The whole island was happy that young Mindy was coming out of her shell. Maria attributed this to her time in school with her friends over at Freeport. The flight time wasn’t long, and it was always spent with her father LoneStar. It had become their little father/daughter quality time. Something that Mindy truly looked forward to every day. She had even started to learn the controls of the Bell 222 helicopter.

As the women of the DeMarco family walked into the hangar that held the underground Tactical Operations Center, or TOC. As they entered the TOC they were greeted first by Krystle and then Kimberly. “Hello girls.”

“Where are the guys, Marshal? Are they going to be much longer?” Kimberly asked.

“They’re not coming, Kimberly. That is my call. They need to finish their work on the range with the sniper rifles.” Maria explained.

“Understood. Besides I don’t have much to go on. I do know that the Major sent on a preface for the briefing. I don’t know what to make of it.” Kimberly handed over the printed out page of the briefing header. “Maybe you can explain it to me.”

It took Maria less than ten minutes to read through the header page. Her mood went from pleasant to pissed in zero point zero seconds. “Oh, sweet Mother of God. This day started off so beautifully. How could it just go straight to shit, like this?”

“Okay, Marshal what just twisted your tits in a wringer?” Krystle asked from her station while she waved for Kasey and Kristine to join her. The Cyberwarfare operator was slightly shocked over Maria’s use of foul language. Even if it was just the word shit.

“This is a letter of Invite for Apostolical Visitation, Krystle. In short what that means is the Vatican has asked formally for a visit to our little island.” The two seasoned operators joined their counterparts in digging their lower jaws out of the floor. Maria growled out. “Krystle, be a dear an open that channel to my husband.”

“One moment Marshal.” Krystle began typing away as fast as she could. She could tell that Maria was beyond pissed off. It had to be the idea of the Vatican sending someone to Ram’s Rock Island. “On the main screen Marshal.”

“Care to explain to me why there is a letter of Invite for Apostolical Visitation in my hand, Major?” Maria jumped straight to the point.

“Good afternoon to you too Ria.” Paul chuckled before looking around the gathered Deputies. “Where are Sergeants Everbright and Taugh? I thought I ordered a full recall, Captain. Care to explain.”

“They’re completing a serious logistical matter, Major. Now answer my question. What does the Vatican want on Ram’s Rock?” Maria wasn’t going to be side tracked.

“Fine Marshal. I’ll get straight to the point then. In sixteen hours; an operative for the Vatican’s Iscariot Division will be touching down in Key West. I will tell you all now. This operative is known to us and has the full support of the Iscariot Division’s Bishop. They will be accorded the respect both earned and due. That being said, you must understand that I do not go into this operation lightly. There are consequences at the National and International level. I will be honest here, people. I’m leaving the final decision up to Maria on whether or not you take the case. Especially as it involves the Holy Roman Catholic Church.” The tone of Paul’s voice let everyone in the TOC that she was in command. “She turns it down; it falls to the military side of the house.”

“Why?” Was all Maria asked.

“This operational investigation involves smuggling of drugs, firearms, stolen or looted art, pillaged antiquities AND human trafficking. Fun for the whole bunch. That last aspect involves Novice Nuns from Eastern Europe who have been married off once they have reach the West. Most of these so called Novices are under age teenage girls.” Paul sighed. “Maria, they are being sold off as mail-order brides.”

“Paul; how did you come by this information?” Maria knew that they would take the case. It was the type of case that the Black Badges were assembled for. She just needed to know who gave Paul the information. “Was she wearing the robes for a Sister of Saint Nicholas?”

Paul sighed and then smiled at being caught. “One Sister Magdalena, from the Order of Saint Nicholas, found the information in an art recovery operation. Kasey, you’re to be commended for that password breaking program. Your Cousin used it to hack into the computer of her mark. She was looking for the man’s art connections and found a lot more than she bargained for. She downloaded the prevalent files onto a flash drive. That info is shit-hot. As in eyes only, burn on reading, hot Captain. The only one missing is 'shoot the messenger'. That’s why the pre-briefing is so thin. Hence the need for hand delivery of the full packet people. Only two people have seen everything she has on that flash-drive.”

“Let me guess, grandpa. Sister Magdalena and that Bishop. Am I right?” Kristine asked from her station in the TOC. She was already trying to pull up the needed information and finding nothing.

“Exactly, Gemini-One. There is nothing on the Net about the recovery, or those that were involved. And this is an official briefing, Deputy.” Paul reminded Kristine.

Kristine got the hint. “Sorry sir. It won’t happen again, Major.”

“You’re forgiven Deputy. Have you or Gemini-Two found anything on those Eastern Europe Convents yet? I know it is not much to go on.”

“Already working on it, Major.” Kasey interrupted him. “As it stands right now, there are fourteen that fit the profile. Sir, we’re going to need someone that understands the actual structure of the Convents within the Church. From the looks of it, I think we can dismiss six of them right now as they're Cloistered Convents.”

“Well we have our expert here shortly, Kasey. Your second cousin is on her way here as we speak. If anyone can help you sort out this mess, she can.” Maria answered.

“Well, until she gets there, there is not much more you can do with the information. Especially with how sparse it is. I wish that I had more for you, but that was all the Bishop was willing to transmit over the Net.”

“Kimberly, is Rodrick or Peter available to make the pickup?” Maria asked the Operations Officer. She knew that tonight was their normal ‘family night’.

“The Skipper and Pete can make the pickup Marshal. As it is, we don’t have anything on the schedule for the next three days. After that it is going to be a little tight, but LoneStar can cover if you need to fly out after that.” Kimberly answered politely.

“Nothing fancy dear. I doubt that my niece would be expecting much from a private air charter service. The Lear should be just fine.” Maria turned to look back up at Paul. “Major, we’ll contact you once we have more information.”

“Understood Marshal.” Paul turned from Commanding Officer to caring husband and grandfather then. “Maria, if you feel this getting out of control; bail. Let the chips fall where they may and get the hell out. Take your team with you and drop everything in the lap of the FBI on your way. Understood?”

This final piece of advice got Maria’s attention. “I take it that this could blow up in our faces if we’re not careful?”

“Not to put too blunt of a point on it, yes. Something is off, Maria. What it is; I don’t know, but I have a feeling that our good friends in the Iscariot Division are doing everything they can to distance themselves from this.”

Maria got a cold feeling in her gut. “Do you believe they’ll go so far as to abandon one of their own? Namely a Nun for an Order of thieves.”

“Truthfully? Yes.” Paul’s answer was enough to silence everyone in the TOC.

For the two operators the idea of being cut loose was always a part of the equation. They had set up themselves up for this possibility. Getting Burned was a common occurrence in the world of Black-Operations and they were prepared. For the Deputies, the idea of leaving one of their own behind was as foreign to them as it was distasteful.

Then there was the DeMarco family motto to contend with. Family first, Family last, Family always. It may be more than a little unconventional, but the Black Badges were a family none the less. One that was ruled by the ancient traditions of the DeMarco family and the most feared guild of assassins, the Wraiths of the Moonless Night. Therefore, the idea of the Church abandoning her niece did not sit well with Maria.

Paul could see it in her eyes. “Don’t worry Ria. If that should happen, she’ll have a place on your team. I understand the family motto.”

“Thank you, Paul. I wasn’t going ask. I know that not all can work and live under these conditions. Though I fear that won’t be needed. I have a feeling that if this operation goes south, our niece will end up in a Cloistered Convent under an Apostolic ordered vow of silence.” Maria sighed as she remembered the story of one ancestor in the late 19th century. “My great, great, aunt Marta was sentenced to such a fate in eighteen-ninety-two. We still don’t know what her secret was. A secret that she took to her grave I remind you. I would not put it pass our friends in the Church do pull the same stunt now.”

“Any way to stop this from happening if things go south, Ria?” Paul asked sharply. For some reason the idea of punishing an operative for doing their job pissed him off. He could see the need for burning one in the most extreme of circumstances. It was why he had more than one grave in Arlington. He understood the fog of war. What he wouldn’t do was just arbitrarily abandon one that was still viable.

Maria sighed as she thought about the question. When she came up with an answer she smiled. “Only one, Paulo. We would have to kill her.”

“I'd really like to avoid that. It would complicate things on several fronts.” Dannigan quipped.

Maria chuckled. “At the least.”

Dannigan took on his command look. “Kimberly. Update Steel Dove, Status: Blue Bayonet. Steel Butterfly and Ramrod: Black Bayonet.”

All knew those terms by now. Blue Bayonet meant a three-hour recall for deployment. Black Bayonet was only one-hour. The sharpest ends of the spear were being readied.

-----tbc-----

up
493 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh Boy!

Timing is everything and it pays to be lucky! Welcome back Kitty Soft-Paws! Your family waits you. In the vernacular that some are used to -- we're gonna' open up a whole can of whoop a$$ on the bad guys! Let the good times roll! After all, it is time for Mardi Gras!

Yeah, new story of a favorite

Yeah, new story of a favorite team and already shaping up to be a good one right from the start

Black Badges!

Yes another story about the famous marshals :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Yay!

My5InchFMHeels's picture

The black badges are back! That makes me very happy.

3 stories at once seems to be some skilled juggling. Don't work youself too hard.

Only 2 stories

wolfjess7's picture

I guess you missed my blog posting. I have had to take a step back from Interview this a Lolita for the time being. I ran into far too many problems with keeping the double time-lines straight. Handling 2 stories is easy. It is also fun as I get to torture my fans with two week breaks between stories. (insane giggle)

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

2 stories

mountaindrake's picture

Torture away but remember to keep yourself healthy.

Have a good day and enjoy life.

Torture

WillowD's picture

Feel free to torture me this way for year.... decades...

I was thinking about what to re-read next when this story popped up. I have decided to re-read the entire Marshal series. Again. Or is this for the 4th time?

It’s not three

Beoca's picture

She previously posted that “Interview” will be going on hiatus. So this is simply replacing the time that would be being put into Ren Nagata and all things Lolita.

Oh Wow

Sammi's picture

What a great srart to the latest tale from the "Black Badges"

Usually it takes me at least 2 read throughs to begin to associate music with a chapter or chapters, but from about 2 3rds of the way through I was humming a 1971 hit, here is a YOUTUBE link.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

The Black Badge Universe

Robyn B's picture

Oh it is soo good to be back in this universe. A real good start to my day...

Robyn B
Sydney

New Black Badges Bk

Really liked the first chapter on the new Black Badges book. Looks like its going to be as good as the past ones.

Another rousing start

to what promises to be a great story in a great series! That said,
"Familia primum, ultimum familia, familiae semper" is a phrase I have not heard since my early years. So long ago....

It is actually one of the more common

wolfjess7's picture

"Familia primum, ultimum familia, familiae semper" is actually one of the more common Family mottoes from the old world. It is found on an average four out of nine Family crests. Currently the only other motto that is more popular "Muerte antes de des honra." English translation is 'Death before dishonor.'

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

True,

but sadly not heard much any more, and hardly anyone acts that way either :( /sigh
gah, forgot to mention that the latin never leaves once you learn it (saw the latin and automatically translated it)

wait who put you on ignore?

wolfjess7's picture

wait a minute here. first who put you on the ignore list? it sure wasnt me. Now what is this joke?

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Joke:

Joke:

reverse gender Princess Bride starring the black badges...punchline is Bobby in a white dress

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Bobby in a white dress

This boggles the mind! Does Hunter get one too? And Annette and Sam in tuxedos? Oh, the horror of it! But wait, who will be the brides people and the grooms people and what will they wear? Camo BDUs with LBEs adorned with confetti and rice grenades?

No tuxedos.

No tuxedos.
Sam is Inigo Montoya. Annette is Westley. The two on a quest or something(I've never actually seen the movie). Hunter wasn't chosen because his personality wouldn't fit as he'd probably enjoy the whole thing...but Bobby? Not so much.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

I missed the set up

stories for this series, I will give it a shot.

The setup is simple:

The setup is simple:

this is another installment of WolfJess7's "Justice" stories. Knowledge of them and Snowfall's "Lyssa Kordonay Missions" and "Chrysalis Project" are needed to get some of the references by the characters.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

painting ownership

How come our protagonist nun is stealing the Jewish owned painting for the Catholic Vatican?
Surely it should be returned to it's rightful owner?
Love your stories don't let me deflect you

painting ownership

Robyn B's picture

Angelic did say that the painting was to be given to the Jewish Museum...

Robyn B
Sydney

As with a great deal of nazi

As with a great deal of nazi looted art, there may be no one left to hand it back to.

Surprised it is the Catholic Church doing it though, must be penance for their actions at the time.

__

Estarriol

I used to be normal, but I found the cure....

Yeayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

NoraAdrienne's picture

We're back in the saddle again. Back where my friends kill your friends.....

Yes I know those weren't the real words.... SO WHAT!!!!

Someone's going to regret their life choice

Jamie Lee's picture

Talk about a hot potato, religion and Government, and human trafficking. Those responsible for transporting those girls, and the men marrying them, best start their clocks since beyond angry is getting ready to decend on them.

Magdalena has uncovered something which isn't right in general, or right to the higher ups in her religion, if they'd find out. Those higher ups should react because it isn't right for general reasons, but all they'd want to do is CTA so their religion wouldn't look bad. Instead of riding the world of such a problem, they'd kick enough sand over it so no one would learn of its existance.

Others have feelings too.

So this is why...

smdani4mm's picture

So this is why the Racing Angels has slowed down and Interview with a Lolita dropped off the charts.

Thank Goodness for the Black Badges.

Dani

SmDani4