The Prince Bride - 3

Printer-friendly version

The Prince Bride - Chapters 5, 6 & 7
By Missy Crystal

Prince Charles was heir to the throne. At his christening, three of the four fairy protectors of the Kingdom (the kind with wings and wands) appeared to give him the customary blessings for a future king. The fourth fairy sister, arriving late from partying all night with the elves, mistakenly believes the baby is a girl and gives her the blessing of being a happy bride. Can the fairy magic be undone? Will the prince grow up to be a queen of one kind or another? Read the story and find out.

Chapter 5. Mother Knows Best.

Queen Charlotte found the King in the Council chamber. He was anxious to hear of her reunion with their son and dismissed his advisors, so that he could speak with her in private. Once they were alone, he instructed the royal guards outside the door to permit no one to enter.

King Henry, fearless in battle, stood nervously before his wife, anticipating her anger at the harm he had caused by keeping the Prince from her. Instead, to his astonishment, delight and arousal, in that order, the Queen put her arms around him and gave him a passionate kiss. When she finally released him and he regained his power of speech, he expressed his joy at the resumption of their marriage and his surprise at her ardor under the circumstances.

"Henry," the Queen said happily, "the Princess is a delight. She is everything I could have hoped for in a daughter."

The King was totally bemused, Prince Charles having been delivered to his mother only a few hours ago.

"What princess are you talking about, dear?" he asked the Queen.

"Princess Charlene, of course," the Queen answered with a laugh. "That is the name we have chosen. The magic has undone your efforts of the last dozen years in less than a day. Charlene's personality is convincingly feminine and, to my surprise, she has taken to wearing a dress as though she had worn one all her life."

"You have put the Prince in a dress, Charlotte?" the King asked incredulously.

"No, Henry, the Prince put himself in a dress and, upon learning of the fairies' enchantment, has accepted his becoming a bride. You have kept him from me in hopes that it would turn out differently, but there is no doubt, by outward appearance and by temperament, he is a girl. I agreed to try it your way and I have cried myself to sleep in the loneliness of my bed as the price of my concession. Now I shall mend my heart and yours, dear husband," she said lovingly.

The King, anxious to get his wife back in his bed, knew when to leave well enough alone.

"If, as you say, the Prince has been changed so quickly by your feminine influence, then I shall defer to your raising him to be a Princess. I must say, however, I am quite confused as to how one refers to a boy who has become a girl."

"Henry," the Queen cautioned him, "if Charlene is to be accepted as a Princess, then none must know of her origin. While in your care, she learned a great deal about my kingdom, even to speak its language, and we have agreed that she will present herself as having been sent by my family to take the place of the Prince, who will remain with them, because of his health. You will see for yourself that she is, to all appearances, a girl and that all will treat her as such, if we do. Does that answer your question, dear?"

"Yes Charlotte," the King said, shaking his head at the conundrum, "I will pretend he is a she."

It was the Queen's turn to shake her head.

"No, you must not pretend!" she insisted. "The magic has transformed her and you must accept it. As the fairies told us, there is no way to prevent it and there is no way to undo it. You have a daughter, Henry, and with our help or without it, as you have seen, she will be a bride. In fact, the magic has already provided Charlene with a companion upon whom to model herself, a delightful young girl from the village named Elisse."

"The magic, Charlotte?" the King asked skeptically. "What makes you think it would choose a commoner to be an example for him, I mean her. If he, I mean she, is to learn to present herself properly, then she should have a girl of noble birth who is schooled in Court etiquette."

"Yes, of course, dear," the Queen humored the King, "a young woman from a good family. One who has been brought up to practice the intrigues and politics of the Court for her own advancement would be best to keep the Princess' secret."

"You are right to deride me, Charlotte," the King said contritely. "The next time the fairies appear to bestow their blessings, I should beg to exchange wisdom for common sense. I will trust to you and the magic."

The Queen smiled and took her husband's hands in hers.

"The more I see of the magic, the more I am sure that things are as they were meant to be and that, as the fairies promised, there will be a happy ending. There will certainly be one for you tonight my dear," she said with a saucy wiggle and a wink, "but I still have much to attend to before we become reacquainted. I wish you to meet the Princess and shall arrange for her to dine with us. Until then, my dear, a small token of my affection."

The Queen moved forward, sliding her arms around the King's waist, pulling him towards her and pressing her breasts against his chest. Given that the King was wearing tights, his amorous anticipation was not difficult for her to detect. She gave him a kiss on the lips and then released him.

The Queen turned in a swirl of petticoats and exited. Arriving at her apartment, she found the servants packing her belongings in brass bound wooden chests, of which half a dozen were already stacked by the door, waiting to be transported to the King's quarters. Upon the Queen's entrance, one of the women stopped her work, curtseyed and asked whether certain items were to stay or go. As the Queen was finishing her instructions, the door opened and Elisse entered. Although she had gone to the village to collect her things, the Queen saw that she carried nothing with her. Upon seeing the Queen in the presence of others, Elisse observed the formality of a deep curtsey.

The Queen beckoned for her to rise and approach.

"How is it, Elisse, that you return with naught?" she questioned her.

"If it please your Majesty, I have but the clothes I wear and a comb and brush, which I share with my sisters and have left for them."

"Have you no nightclothes or undergarments?" the Queen asked curiously.

"Oh yes, Your Majesty," Elisse replied, "but my father said that I should also leave them for my sisters, as he would provide new ones when he delivered the wardrobe you ordered for me. I can return home and gather those items, if you would rather not go to the expense. They are well cared for, my mother being an excellent laundress and my father having taught me to sew."

"My goodness, Elisse, your concern for the royal treasury is commendable, but I do believe we can afford to have you properly dressed, as we do the rest of the palace staff. Although, come to think of it, I do not know if we provide them with pantaloons and shifts. Perhaps you will step out and so inquire of the guard" the Queen said with a laugh.

"As you wish, Your Majesty," Elisse said obediently, curtseying and backing towards the door.

"Stop, Elisse, I was making a jest," the Queen acknowledged. "It is of no consequence and there is no need. Your father is quite right." She paused in thought and then added, "as you have left your toilet articles, so you have reminded me that the Princess is without hers. I shall make sure that you both have the necessary items for your grooming. Now that is settled, would you like to see your room?"

"Yes, if it please Your Majesty, very much so," Elisse said enthusiastically.

The Queen went into a bedchamber with Elisse following at a respectful distance and moved aside a tapestry covering one wall to expose a door. She opened it and went inside. Upon entering, Elisse found a bed with what looked to be a down mattress covered with white linens, a wood stand with a white china pitcher and basin on it and a door underneath, which she assumed held a container for her personal needs, a large carved wood wardrobe and, best of all, a small dressing table with a mirror, beneath which was an upholstered stool. There was a window with heavy curtains in a red material with green floral embroidery to keep out the drafts and a small fireplace for warmth. On the floor were thick carpets with intricate designs. In size, the chamber was larger than the common room in her house in the village, where the entire family gathered. Elisse was delighted with her room and the good fortune that had come to her.

"May I speak, Your Majesty," Elisse inquired?

"Of course, Elisse, there need be no formality between us in private. Now then, you were going to say?"

"I was going to say, your Majesty, that this is the most beautiful room I could imagine, but I see only the one door. Is there no way for me to come and go without disturbing the Princess?"

"For the protection of those who reside within, none may enter without passing by the guard at the door," the Queen confirmed. Looking into Elisse's eyes, she added, "As none may approach the Princess without passing by you. The ring with the royal coat of arms which you wear gives you the power to act on the King's behalf. To disobey you is an affront to the Crown; but, be warned, for with authority comes responsibility and, once reported, the offense is punishable by death without excuse or exception."

Elisse's eyes went wide and she turned white.

"Oh, no, Your Majesty, please, I am but a simple village girl and have no experience in such matters," she pleaded. "I have great affection for the Princess and would give my life for her, but not the life of another. I could not."

"Elisse," the Queen reassured her, "it is for those very reasons I have placed my confidence in you. If I am mistaken, then you may return to your home without consequence. Do you so choose?"

"No, Your Majesty, I could not leave the Princess, she needs me. I shall do what I must," Elisse confirmed with resignation.

The Queen nodded her acceptance.

The first thing that you must do then," the Queen directed her, "is to go to the library and bring back the Princess to prepare her for dinner with the King, and yourself as well."

"Yes, Your Majesty," Elisse replied with a small curtsey. Then it struck her that she had been included in the invitation."

"Me, Your Majesty," she said in shock, "meet the King? Please Your Majesty, I am not presentable." She pointed to her apron. "I am dressed for keeping house."

"I know my husband, Elisse. Clothes mean naught to him, for he has seen his fill of finely dressed ladies and gentlemen of no worth. It is you and not your apron with which he will be concerned and well pleased, I am sure. Trust me in this."

"I could not but trust you in all things, your Majesty."

Elise made a mini-curtsey and started for the door, then stopped and turned to address the Queen.

"Your Majesty, I am sorry, but I know not what a library is or where to find it."

"A library is a room with many books," the Queen explained patiently. "Ask the guard at the door to escort you there. He knows the way."

"Thank you, Your Majesty, I shall do so," Elisse replied politely.

Chapter 6. Sergeant Ulrich.

Elisse went back through the bedchamber and sitting room to the corridor door and opened it. On either side were two royal guards in blood red tunics with two rows of shiny brass buttons and black pants with a gold stripe on the side of each leg, tucked into polished black leather boots. On their heads were black peaked caps with gold braid, the same as on their shoulders and around their waists was a black leather belt, with a large rectangular brass buckle embossed with a design of crossed swords. Hanging from the belt at their side was a sword in a brass scabbard.

Both guards came to attention as the door opened and Elisse stepped out. She had no preference, but the one on the right had three gold stripes on his sleeve, two pointed down and one up, the other only two pointed down, so she chose him.

"Please take me to the library," she requested.

The guard studied the plainly dressed girl for a moment, saluted, and set off quickly down the corridor. Elisse, having shorter legs, trotted after him.

After they had gone a short distance, Elisse asked him, "is it permissible for me to speak with you, Sir?"

"Yes, my Lady," the guard answered. "I am at your command."

"Then please slow down."

"As you wish, my Lady," the guard responded, reducing his pace.

Catching her breath, Elisse introduced herself.

"I am no lady, Sir, but Elisse from the village, the eldest daughter of Franc the tailor."

"Not 'Sir', my Lady. That honor is for those of noble birth," the guard advised her. "I am Ulrich, son of Thad the farmer," he continued, "but when I put on this uniform, I am Sergeant Ulrich of His Majesty's Royal Guards. You, by the ring you wear around your neck, are a lady and so shall all address you in my presence or answer for it. Nor do you need to say 'please,' as I serve the Crown whose authority you carry."

"Your guidance is most appreciated, Sergeant Ulrich, as I have no experience in these matters. Until today, my ambition was to be a good wife and mother. Instead, I find to my surprised I am handmaiden to the Princess."

"What Princess would that be, my Lady?" Ulrich inquired.

"Why Princess Charlene, of course," Elisse answered. "Do you know of any other?"

"I know of none, my Lady."

"Do you know all that goes on in the palace, Sergeant Ulrich?" Elisse asked defensively.

"No, my Lady, not all, but I would know of a princess, as my duty is to guard the royal family."

Elisse had not been present when the Queen and the Princess made up their story of her arrival from Dalmacia and so had no way to know the official explanation. Being an honest girl, she told the truth of sorts.

"She is new and perhaps you have not yet been told."

"Of course, my Lady, as you say," Ulrich conceded politely.

By the time their conversation ended, they had reached the library. Ulrich stopped and opened the door, then stood to attention and saluted.

"I know that I need not, but I see no reason why authority should excuse ill manners. Thank you, Sergeant Ulrich. Please remain, as we will need to be guided back."

Elisse entered the library. As the Queen had said, there were many books, but they meant nothing to her, as she had never learned to read. Looking around the room, she saw the Princess seated at a long table. Elisse walked towards her and stopped. She curtseyed and waited patiently, not wanting to interrupt her. When the Princess did not recognize her presence, she spoke softly.

"Your Highness."

There was no response, so she spoke louder.

"Your Highness."

The Princess turned her head and, seeing Elisse, stood up.

"Elisse!" the Princess exclaimed happily, motioning for her to rise and approach. "How nice of you to keep me company. Shall I have the librarian bring you a book? There are many to choose from."

"No, thank you, your Highness. I am to bring you back to get ready to dine with the Queen and King."

"Excellent, for I do so want to show my father my pretty dress. Will you come too, Elisse?"

"The Queen has invited me, your Highness, although I am uncomfortable to go as I am," Elisse admitted, holding out her apron for emphasis. "If I could wait but a day, my father will have something proper for me to wear to meet the King."

The Princess thought for a moment.

"Let us exchange clothes then. You shall go in your dress and I in what you have on. That will solve the problem."

"No, your Highness. It will not solve the problem," Elisse insisted, "for I have made a gift of it and shan't take it back. It is yours and you must wear it. I will not hear otherwise." Realizing that she had just scolded the Princess as though she was one of her little sisters, she put her hand over her mouth and fell into a curtsey. "I am sorry, your Highness. I spoke disrespectfully. Please forgive me."

"Get up, Elisse. You did no wrong. Quite to the contrary, you must be strict with me, if I am to learn what I must know. I will not hear otherwise," the Princess pretended to scold her back. "Now, let us go."

Elisse rose and started for the door.

"Wait, Elisse. I must return this book."

The Princess beckoned to the librarian, who, although attentive to his royal guest, had busied himself, so as not to intrude on her conversation. Getting his attention, he came over and knelt down.

"I am returning the book to your safekeeping. I shall require it tomorrow." In keeping with the story of her arrival from Dalmacia, the Princess added, "I must say that I am disappointed about how little is recorded in your history of this kingdom about the Queens. I shall speak to King Henry about it, for I am sure Queen Charlotte would not take kindly to being mentioned only as his wife. Good day, Master librarian."

The Princess turned and followed Elisse to the door, which she opened. They went into the corridor, where Ulrich was waiting. He drew to attention at their arrival.

"Your Highness," Elisse introduced the guard to the Princess, "this is Sergeant Ulrich."

Being more used to orders than introductions, it took Ulrich a few moments to realize that the ordinary looking girl standing next to Elisse was the Princess. When the recognition came to him, he started to kneel, but in his haste he forgot to swing his scabbard out of the way and it stabbed against the floor, throwing him off balance. He tried to recover, but could not and ended up sprawled on the floor at the girls' feet.

The Princess, amused by the poor guard's embarrassment and remembering Cedric's similar reaction, turned to Elisse and jested, "I really must start wearing a crown, so that people will stop injuring themselves when they meet me."

Elisse, wishing to spare Ulrich further embarrassment, pretended not to have noticed. Ulrich quickly righted himself and, properly adjusting his weapon, was back on his knees.

"Rise Sergeant," the Princess commanded. "Forward," she directed, recalling her own military training.

Ulrich rose and, remembering that Elisse could not keep up, set off at a slow pace.

On their way back, Elisse whispered to the Princess, "is not Ulrich quite dashing, Your Highness?"

"That is the same question my mother asked me about the guards who escorted us here. Are women required to comment on the appearance of men in whose company they find themselves?" the Princess questioned Elisse. "If so, I suppose I will have to learn, although I find nothing appealing about soldiers, having been raised to be one, as I told my mother."

"There is your Highness," Elisse spoke softly into the Princesses ear, "a natural attraction between women and men. Not every woman finds it so, I expect, because there are those who remain unmarried, but most look forward to being wed when they are of my age. You are young yet, your Highness, and girls do not become so interested until they, well, I can not tell you, as it is not discussed, you will have to ask you mother about it, although I do not believe that it will happen to you. My little sisters have not found boys to their liking," Elisse laughed. "You would think from the way they treat them, they were enemies, but that will soon change, as I think that it must for you, if you are to be a bride."

By the time Elisse had finished her explanation, they had reached their destination. Ulrich opened the door and stationed himself beside it, coming to attention and saluting, in a much more impressive ending than beginning. Elisse started to enter, but stopped when the Princess turned to address Ulrich.

"Sergeant, Mistress Elisse finds you pleasing and, as we will need a guide until we become familiar with the palace, I appoint you to that post. Of course, a Princess should have an officer for an escort, so inform your commandant that you have been promoted to lieutenant. That will be all Lieutenant Ulrich," the Princess dismissed him.

Ulrich was overcome, first by the unexpected disclosure of Elisse's favor and then by his sudden promotion to a rank that he had never dared to aspire. Elisse was also overcome by the Princess's candor, blushing as she followed her into the apartment, closing the door on the stunned Ulrich.

Looking at the color in Elisse's cheeks, the Princess apologized. "Oh dear, Elisse, have I done something dreadful. It would seem so. I am not very good at being a girl yet. What shall I do to set it right?"

Regaining her composure, Elisse assured the Princess that it was not dreadful, just not proper for a girl to tell a boy of her feelings.

"I am sorry, Elisse, but I am confused. How is it that you are to find a suitable husband if you cannot tell a man that you like him and why is it that you can not tell him so? Will you be punished by your parents or will he be offended by your interest in him?"

"Your Highness," Elisse began, fussing with her apron while trying to find the best way to explain the romantic games that girls played, "there is no penalty, as such, but boys are not kindly disposed towards girls who are bold. We show our interest by acting in more gentle ways. A glance in their direction," Elisse demonstrated, looking coquettishly back over her shoulder, "a little smile," she briefly turned up the corners of her mouth, or a look," Elisse pouted prettily and batted her eyes, "are enough encouragement."

"I do not understand why it is so, but I shall follow your directions in such things. Must I practice or shall it come to me as I gain experience as a girl?"

"Well, your Highness," Elisse said, beginning to feel more comfortable with the Princess, "I expect I shall have to flirt with all of the young men in the palace, so you will learn to do it properly."

"Not to be outdone, the Princess replied, "I assume that what you have just described is called flirting and I command that you do it to all the young men we meet."

Both the Princess and Elisse broke into girlish giggles.

Upon composing herself, Elisse returned to more practical matters.

Chapter 7. A Girl Like Me.

"It is getting late and I should prepare you for dinner with the King and Queen. We will have to make do as we are. I shall brush your hair and in place of a crown, which we lack, a comb or clip will do, if I can find one."

Looking around the room, Elisse saw the Queen's dressing table and went to it. There was an ornate silver brush and a number of silver topped glass jars and small bottles with elaborate stoppers left by the Queen, but with which preparations she had no experience. In one corner was a small chest, which Elisse recalled being the one from which the Queen had taken the chain and ring which she wore.

"The Queen has left us a brush," your Highness, "and perhaps an ornament in the chest. May I open it?"

"Of course, Elisse, you need not ask. I am in your care."

Elisse opened the lid and found a collection of jewelry. She had some familiarity with gems from those that were occasionally sewn on the noble ladies' gowns and knew of their worth, but paid them no mind, searching for something for the Princess to wear in her hair. Towards the bottom, she found a gold clip in an intricate floral design. Taking it out, a chain came with it. As she worked to untangle it, she saw that attached to the chain was a gold pendant in the shape of a flower with what she recognized as a pearl enclosed by the petals. The Princess saw the necklace and asked to wear it. Elisse fastened it around her neck, the flower resting perfectly on her chest. She then brushed the Princesses hair and fastened the clip with the pin, removing and replacing it, until she was satisfied with its position.

"There," Elisse said, standing back and surveying her handiwork. "You are indeed quite pretty, your Highness, and the necklace you have chosen suits you well. We are ready."

"Would you not like to wear something from the chest, Elisse? And my mother put something from one of the jars on my lips. Would you like some of that? Oh, and something that smells nice too from one of the bottles, the tall one with the silver gilt stopper, I believe."

"It is not for me to wear jewelry, your Highness, and I am afraid I have no knowledge of the paint used by ladies on their face or of perfume, as the scent is called. The ways of the palace are much different than the village."

"Fancy ways and pretension suit me not either, Elisse. I am quite content to be a girl like you. Let us go."

Elisse went to the door and opened it. She was hoping that Ulrich was still staioned there, but the guards had changed. She directed one with three stripes like Ultrich to take them to the King's quarters. He saluted and marched off, the two girls following behind. After passing down many long corridors and taking many confusing turns, they arrived at a door outside of which were stationed two more of the Royal Guards. Their escort saluted, turned smartly and left. One of the guards knocked on the door and a soft voice from within bid them enter. Summoning her courage, Elisse followed the Princess.

The room into which they entered was large and appeared to be for receiving visitors. It was elaborately decorated with paintings and tapestries on the walls and rugs on the floor. In the center was a large, ornate table on which stood a gold four branched candelabra with long wax tapers and along the walls were double sconces with more candles, all extravagantly lit, providing a soft yellow light. Along three of the walls were a number of upholstered settees and armchairs and set into fourth wall was a large fireplace with a crackling fire providing warmth against the evening's chill and more light. Above the fireplace mantle hung a large ax and a sword crossed behind a shield with what Elisse recognized as the same royal coat of arms as on her ring. Taking all of this in, Elisse's eyes turned to the Queen, standing next to the table. She was dressed in a beautiful pale blue gown accented with white lace, long sleeves, flaring at the wrist, also trimmed with lace, with a full skirt and a cutaway lace trimmed bodice that exposed her chest. A very daring ensemble, compared to the styles with which Elisse was familiar, but then the Queen could do as she pleased and her dress was obviously meant to please. Around her neck was a string of sparkling blue stones set in gold links, beautifully accenting her dress. Her hair was done up and adorned with more sparkling blue stones set in two large gold combs and her face had a trace of color on the lips and cheeks. Elisse was overwhelmed by the Queen's appearance, as the expression on her face left no doubt.

The Queen, however, had eyes only for her daughter. As soon as the Princess entered, she viewed her approvingly and then moved forward to embrace her. They remained entwined, with the Princess enjoying her new freedom to express emotion. Finally they released.

"Elisse, you have indeed done well. I quite approve."

The Queen's eyes fell to the Princess' necklace.

Turning to Elisse, she asked, "how could you have possibly know that was my necklace when I was a girl? It was a gift from my mother and to see it on my own daughter brings tears to my eyes."

Elisse shook her head.

"I take no credit, Your Majesty. The necklace selected itself, being drawn out with the hair clip which I took from your chest and catching the Princess' eye."

"A most curious coincidence, indeed," the Queen observed. "One among many it appears. Shall we go?" she requested, directing them to a doorway.

Elisse and the Princess followed the Queen into another large room, this one with a long table covered with a white linen cloth on which stood two large four branched silver candelabra's. The table held an assortment of meats on silver platters, some of which Elisse recognized and others she did not, steaming vegetables in silver bowls and glass carafes of red wine. Each place was set with a white china plate painted with the royal coat of arms, a sparkling crystal goblet and silver utensils. As Elisse looked along the table, her eyes came to the head, where a man was sitting in a high backed chair, with a carved crest embellished with gold. He was dressed in purple and wore a gold crown set with jewels. Realizing that this was the King, Elisse dropped into a deep curtsey.

The King stood when the entourage entered the room. He saw what at first glance he took to be two ordinary girls with the Queen.

"My dear, where is Charles? Dinner is getting cold."

"Charles, will not be coming, Henry. He has been detained in Dalmacia, due to his poor health. Princess Charlene has replaced him as heir to the throne."

At that cue, the Princess spoke up.

"Hello, father, do you like my dress? Isn't it pretty? It was Elisse's and she has let me wear it. She did my hair too. She is quite good at being a girl, but then I suppose it is because she was born that way. I am still learning, but I do believe I shall be quite good at it too."

The Princess spun around, her skirt flaring in a perfectly feminine display and then, as earlier demonstrated by Elisse, she gave an innocent smile and fluttered her eyes. The King's jaw dropped and it was all the Queen could do to control her laughter, as he stood with his mouth open in astonishment.

"I take it you approve, dear," the Queen said, breaking the silence.

"Who, how, what?" The King sputtered at a loss for words. "It cannot be, come here, Charles, let me look at you," he finally got out.

"No Henry," interrupted the Queen. "We agreed. Charlene is a girl and must be so addressed and treated. To do otherwise will only make it harder and increase the risk of discovery that will spoil everything. You saw once what mischief is done when the magic is displeased. Please do not provoke it, as I could not bear to lose my child again.

"Yes, Charlotte, you are quite right," the King agreed. "It is just that, well, in truth, I was expecting a boy in a dress and not the girl I find before me. I am not pleased with the situation, as I would much prefer to have my son as he was born, but, as that is not to be, I will have a daughter." Turning to the Princess he told her, "Your dress is quite becoming and you look quite lovely in it, Charlene. I hope that you will find happiness on the path on which you have been set by the fairy's mistake."

The Princess, although untrained, made a perfect curtsey and replied, "thank you father. I am quite content to be a girl," adding naively, "you should try it. Perhaps the Queen will loan you one of her dresses as Elisse has done for me."

The King scowled at the Princess's suggestion and the Queen put her hand to her mouth at the thought of His Royal Highness in petticoats. Eager to change the subject, the King turned his attention to Elisse, who remained supplicated during the conversation.

"Rise, child, and approach," the King directed.

Elisse got up and moved towards the King, her head bowed.

"Chin up, I wish to look upon you," the King ordered.

As Elisse was short and the King was tall, she had to crane her neck to look him in the eye.

After studying her carefully, the King turned to the Queen and proclaimed, "indeed Charlotte, I would exchange this girl for all of those useless ladies who clutter up my Court, were it possible. I am quite pleased, as you had foreseen." Turning back to Elisse, the King warned her, "You understand that the future of my kingdom is in your hands."

Looking up at the King, Elisse answered him, "I am devoted to the Princess and will allow no harm to come to her, on my oath and on my life, as I have so pledged to her and to the Queen, but her future is not mine to manage, Your Majesty."

The King nodded his agreement.

"Charlotte, I do not know how Elisse has come to us, by accident or design, but I would have none other for the Princess. My kingdom is in good hands and she shall be rewarded, an estate I think. I know of one baron in particular who has been an annoyance for years and I am most anxious to dispossess."

"Henry, dear, your approval is most gratifying and your generosity commendable, but the poor girl has not been here but a day. Do you not think we might wait, so she can concentrate on the Princess and not on managing an estate, having just arrived from the village?" the Queen suggested.

"You are correct, as usual, Charlotte," the King conceded, then, turning back to Elisse, inquired, "if not for you, then your family, Elisse. What shall I do for their benefit?"

"If it please your Majesty, we are satisfied with what we earn by our work. My father is the royal tailor, as was his father and his father before him and so shall my second eldest brother be, my older brother having been called to serve in your army. My sisters look forward to having their own husbands and homes, when it is their time. They are content, Your Majesty, and I would tempt them not to lead a life for which they are not suited. Nor, with respect Your Majesty, could I or my family profit from another's misfortune, deserved or not. As for me, to serve the Princess, the Queen and the King, is reward enough. I too am content, your Majesty."

The King looked at Charlotte.

"Must I constantly be schooled by women?" he complained good naturedly. "This is most frustrating. I shall have to take up my defective blessings with the fairies, for with their gifts I understand little of what good, honest people think." The King sighed. "I am in your debt, Elisse, both for your service and for your lesson in humility. "Now then," the King announced, "it is time for us to eat, please be seated. I have dismissed the staff for our privacy, so I am afraid each of us will have to serve himself, urr, umm, herself," the King corrected his choice of pronouns.

"If I may, your Majesty, as the eldest girl I served my family their meals and I would be pleased if you would allow me to work for my keep by serving you," Elisse offered.

"Your keep is earned by your attention to the Princess," Elisse, "but your offer is graciously made and graciously accepted."

"Although some of the food is known to me, Your Majesties and Princess, many I do not know and will need your guidance to suit your taste. If you would, your Majesty, please tell me what I may bring to you."

"Princess Charlene is the guest of honor and so she should be served first," the King said with a smile.

The Queen smiled too at her husband's acceptance of the Princess by use of her name and the correct gender in his directions to Elisse.

Elisse turned to the Princess, who replied, "What is it girls eat, Elisse? You may bring me some of it."

"Girls eat the same things boys eat, Your Highness," Elisse explained, "except less, as we need to fit into our dresses without bursting our laces. As to a choice, that would be for your mother to make."

Queen Charlotte beamed at Elisse's considerate deferral to her in making decisions for her daughter, acknowledging her satisfaction with a nod and a smile.

"I would recommend the roast fowl," Charlene, "some greens, I think, and a slice of the white bread with the wonderful cheese that is made here."

Elisse had no trouble recognizing the foods that the Queen had picked out for the Princess, as her father occasionally received poultry from villagers who had something to mend that needed his expertise, and greens were common, as was bread and cheese. She placed a small portion of each on the Princess' plate and then turned to the King.

"Your Majesty?" she inquired.

"I favor the roast venison, Elisse, you should try some, it is quite tasty, and a turnip, some of the greens and bread and cheese."

"Might the roast venison be this meat, Your Majesty?" Elisse questioned, pointing to one of the platters, "as I have not seen such before."

The King nodded and Elisse added a large helping of the foods to his plate.

"Your Majesty, what may I serve you?" she asked the Queen.

"The same as the Princess, Elisse."

Finally, it was Elisse's turn. Although not wishing to offend the King by ignoring his recommendation, the meat looked unappetizing, sitting in a puddle of bloody juices, and she did not want to be embarrassed by taking food she could not eat.

"If it please your Majesty," she said diplomatically, " being used to simple meals, the meat might be too rich for my taste and I would prefer the fare on which the Queen and Princess sup."

"As you wish, Elisse. I am sure there will be time enough for you to acquire a taste for it, but you must try the wine. It is the finest in the kingdom. Fill the Queen's and the Princess' goblets as well and we shall have a toast."

"I have never sampled wine, Your Majesty and know not what is a toast," Elisse admitted.

"Well," the King observed, "tonight is the first of many unexpected things, to which you enjoying our fine wine shall be added."

"Elisse, dear," the Queen cautioned, giving her husband a disapproving look, "the King has been overly enthusiastic in his recommendation of the wine. It is an intoxicating beverage and, for one who has no experience, can cause more ill than good. Try but a taste, until you become accustomed to its influence."

"Thank you, your Majesty, I shall follow your advice."

Elisse picked up one of the carafes and filled the King's goblet, then the Queens, pouring only a small amount for herself and the Princess.

The King raised his glass and proposed, "to Princess Charlene, may the magic truly bring her a happy ending, as the fairies have promised."

The King took a drink, as did the Queen. Mindful of the warning, Elisse and the Princess took small sips and both made faces.

"Wine takes some getting used to," admitted the King, "try it with food and you will find it more to your liking."

Elisse waited politely for the King and Queen to begin eating and noticed them tucking a linen cloth into their neck or, in the Queen's case, her bodice, and using a knife and fork, instead of their fingers. Although her mother had a large fork in the kitchen for holding hot food and a large carving knife for butchering, most of their meals were stew of some kind, eaten with a spoon. She did her best to copy their table manners. As the meal went on, she took small sips of the wine and did find that it went better with the food.

After having finished the meal, the King inquired of Elisse whether she had enjoyed it. She did not answer, resulting in a more urgent question.

"Elisse, is something wrong? You may speak freely."

Encouraged by the wine, Elisse answered, "your Majesty, the meal was better than any which I have ever had and I am most grateful to share your table, but," she paused.

"But what Elisse? Do go on."

"It is just, well, it is just that you have so much and there are those in the village who send their children to bed hungry."

The King rose and said angrily, "why have I not been told of such conditions in my kingdom! How can this be that there are those who go without" he questioned, "and what kind of King must I be to have cared more for the affairs of state than the condition of my subjects?" Trying to understand, he asked Elisse, "why is it that the men do not work and earn a living for their families?"

"Your, Majesty, not all are able," she explained. "Some have been injured, others have been unlucky. I know them, your Majesty, they are good, hardworking people who want little for themselves and suffer greatly. Thom the woodcutter struck his leg with an axe and the wound has festered. He will most likely die of it and his wife and children will be forced to beg or worse. My father is charitable and gives what he can, outworn clothes from his customers that he has mended, and my mother gives food, when there is some to spare, but it is not enough. Thom is but one of many in need." Pausing and looking sadly at the King, Elisse apologized, "I hope that you do not find me to be disrespectful, your Majesty. I know only of my one village, which is of little importance compared to the many over which you rule."

Looking across the table, the King saw that Elisse's concern for her fellow villagers had brought sympathetic tears to the Queen and the Princess.

The King shook his head.

"Elisse, you need not be concerned. It is my advisors who I shall take to task." Turning to the Queen, the King agreed, "there is indeed more to the fairies' enchantment then meets the eye, Charlotte, for I am now convinced that you are right in believing Elisse has come to us through no accident. The Princess has already brought good fortune to the kingdom by her selection of a companion and I am now satisfied that this is but the start of the happy ending to come."

The Queen smiled and nodded her concurrence.

"I would set things right," the King continued, "but cannot trust those of my Court to put the needs of others who are less fortunate before their own comfort. There is but one in whom I have complete confidence, my Queen, and so I commission you to do what is necessary to provide for the common welfare of my subjects. Woman's work for sure." Then the King broke into a broad smile and clapped his hands together, announcing, "I have just the estate of a particular baron to serve as the royal asylum for the sick and poor. He will be most anxious to keep his title and his head in exchange for contributing to such a worthy cause." Turning to Elisse, the King asked her, "I assume that you would have no qualms about such an arrangement?"

"I know not of qualms," Your Majesty, "but I would not have done to him what I would not want done to me. Instead, should not the people build their own estate and by so doing be employed and have pride in what they have done in your name?"

The King looked vexed.

"Charlotte, this young woman is impossible. First she pains my conscience and now rightly chastises me for abusing my power."

Elisse gave the Queen a frightened look, who shook her head and smiled reassuringly, knowing her husband's sense of humor.

"I order her to leave immediately with the Princess and not to return until tomorrow night, as I believe that there is a promise made earlier that needs to be kept. Goodnight Princess Charlene and Elisse. You both have my approval and my affection."

The Queen looked lovingly at her husband and, catching his eye, gave him a romantic look that left little question that she was prepared to make up for lost time, which, being a dozen years, would occupy them until morning.

The Princess and Elisse returned to their apartment, where they got ready for bed, Elisse supervising the Princess as she disrobed, neatly folding the dress and petticoats, then herself undressing, until both were in their pantaloons and camisoles. Elisse then showed the Princess the nighttime beauty routine, cleansing her face of the cosmetics the Queen had applied and brushing her hair until it shone.

"Goodnight, your Highness," Elisse said softly, picking up a candlestick to light the way to her room.

"Elisee, please stay with me," the Princess requested.

"You do not wish to sleep alone, your Highness?"

"I have slept alone for as long as I can remember. I am so pleased with you, I do not wish for you to go."

"I do not know if it is proper for me to sleep with you, your Highness."

"Do you sleep alone at home, Elisse?"

"No, Your Highness, I share a bed with my two younger sisters."

"Then is it because I am a boy that you will not sleep with me?"

"No, Your Highness, it is because you are a Princess."

"May I not be your sister, Elisse? I would like that greatly. I could command you, you know," the Princess said petulantly.

"Yes, Your Highness, you could, but sisters do not command each other."

"Nor I you, Elisse."

"Into bed then little sister and make room for me."

up
57 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm Surprised

nobody has commented on this yet. I'm finding the interactions between your characters to be intriguing, both the naive innocence of the Princess and the experiences of Elissa adding up to bring a major force of change to the sleepy little kingdom where they live, and the repurcussions of their actions could make for a very entertaining story ahead!

Melanie E.

A Delight

I'm finding this story to be quite the delight so far! It's inventive, whimsical, and yet deeply philosophical.

It's like a fairy tale, fractured or otherwise, with a moral on every other page!

Charming

Once upon a time..

I just love the use of language and the gentle humour. I am a little concerned with the portrayal of the King as some kind of bumbling oaf; I hope that he gets a more positive press as the story evolves.

Charlene and Elisse seem a little too mature for their ages. You hint that Charlene is around 12 years of age and she refers to Elisse as 'little sister'.

All in all, though, it is a delightful tale.

Susie