The Prince Bride - 7

Printer-friendly version

The Prince Bride - Chapters 15 & 16.
By Missy Crystal

Prince Charles was heir to the throne. At his christening, three of the four fairy protectors of the Kingdom (the kind with wings and wands) appeared to give him the customary blessings for a future king. The fourth fairy sister, arriving late from partying all night with the elves, mistakenly believes the baby is a girl and gives her the blessing of being a happy bride. Can the fairy magic be undone? Will the prince grow up to be a queen of one kind or another? Read the story and find out.

Chapter 15. Love is Blind.

Upon Sir Reginald's departure, Countess Marlyne set about preparing for the Princess' arrival. Unaccustomed to housekeeping, she regretted the necessity of dismissing Jeana, but served passably well in her stead, tidying up the few items that had strayed from their usual lodgings and arranging the sideboard with a pair of crystal goblets, a decanter of her best wine and silver table service for two. She then gathered up her shawl and purse and left for the village market. Although the shopkeepers were unaccustomed to dealing with nobility, they gladly accepted her silver and she returned with a basket of tasty morsels, fruit, cheese and freshly baked bread, which she arranged on the sideboard. The tower bell tolled six by the time all was ready. Satisfied with her hospitality, she checked her appearance, making a few adjustments to her hair and makeup, and reposed on the divan, awaiting the arrival of the Princess.

The Princess, having been apprised by her mother of Countess Marlyne's invitation and understanding its import, had enlisted the assistance of Elisse in dressing for the occasion. She fluttered about her chamber, studying different ensembles, unable to make a choice, finally turning to her companion.

"Honestly Elisse," the Princess complained, vexed at her indecision, "I have read most every book in the library and none has the slightest advice on fashion. Would not such a work be of great use? Perhaps I will commission one, although it would be of no help to me when I need it most."

"I am afraid, dear Princess," Elisse teased her, "that only a woman could write such a book and, alas, our training is domestic, not scholarly. What could a man know of the intricacies of feminine attire?"

"Perhaps not all of those who are born male favor breeches, Elisse," the princess teased her back.

It took Elisse a moment to understand the innuendo and then both women broke into laughter.

"As you are familiar with what manner of dress pleases your husband most, I will rely on your judgment. Do choose one for me."

"I am afraid, Princess, that the attire my husband favors most is unsuitable for your purpose," Elisse continued with her teasing, patting her rounding belly, "unless shifts are now the style for entertaining."

"Knowing Countess Marlyne, I should think that whoever she has chosen for me would not be adverse to such informality, but I do think that propriety dictates a more modest introduction," the Princess retorted, getting in the last word, as usual.

"Well then, your Highness, you have dictated your own choice, if modesty is that which you desire. The pale blue brocade with silver detail is the most maidenly of all."

"Is that how one wins a man's heart, Elisse, with maidenly restraint?"

"My husband's heart was so won you Highness. The dragon device on his sword bears witness to its capture," Elisse confirmed, referring to Ulrich's offer to slay a dragon, should it interfere with their romance.

"What you have said rings true. I know naught of romantic love, but do believe that it must be freely given, as Ulrich's was to you and yours to him, not gained by artifice. I will wear the blue dress."

Elisse found the necessary undergarments, all of the finest quality linen, accented with lace and intricate embroidery. She assisted the Princess with her wardrobe, adjusting the petticoats and fussing with the ribbons, finally securing the bodice and tying off the laces. Black leather shoes with gilt buckles completed the ensemble. Since this was to be a clandestine affair, the palace hairdresser was not enlisted. Instead Elisse did up the Princess's long blonde hair and secured it with a pair of finely worked gold and silver combs for a look of understated elegance. The Princess' natural color and perfect features required no makeup for enhancement, but for a slight tinge to her lips and the restrained application of a light floral scent. Standing back to admire her efforts, Elisse was pleased with the result.

The Princess held out her skirt and spun around in a swirl of petticoats, looking coyly over her shoulder at Elisse.

"Do you think my mystery gentleman will find me attractive?"

"You are most beautiful, Princess," Elisse complimented her.

"You flatter me, Elisse," the Princess challenged her.

"You know me better, Princess."

"I know you best of all."

"We have yet to select your jewelry, Princess. Would you favor me by wearing this?"

Elisse held out a red velvet covered box. Princess Charlene immediately recognized it as the one holding the flower pendant she had given to Elisse.

"Elisse, I am most grateful, but a gift freely given cannot be reclaimed. It is yours and your daughter's when you have one. Please return it to your safekeeping."

"It is not for your pleasure that I do this, but for mine. Would you be so cruel as to deny me?" Elisse repeated the words spoken by the Princess when she bestowed the gift.

Recognizing the source, the Princess smiled and completed the discourse from long ago. "You know I can deny you nothing." She turned and Elisse fastened the gold chain from which hung the treasured flower pendant clasping a pearl.

As with the Princess and Elisse, Sir Reginald was carefully selecting his wardrobe. He was sure that Lady Marlyne, having somehow come into possession of the ring, had contrived to use it for her advantage, although he could not imagine what she hoped to gain by concocting such a story or enlisting his participation in her scheme. Did she really believe that he would not recognize an imposter or that he would show clemency for having been duped? Then again, he knew Lady Marlyne, or Countess as she now proclaimed herself, well enough to doubt that she was either frivolous or conniving. Better to be prepared, he concluded.

He called for his orderly and a basin of water to bathe. Admiring his whiskers in the mirror, he carefully trimmed his mustache and brushed his hair. Satisfied with his personal hygiene, he took out his dress uniform. Although impeccable, he instructed his orderly to poliwh the buttons, the clasp of his belt, helmet, and the fittings on his sword, until they gleamed and required that his boots be buffed to a mirror shine. Admiring himself in the mirror, making a final adjustment to his mustache, he left his quarters on the first tolling of seven.

Princess Charlene had also left at the first tolling of seven in the company of Elisse. The Princess had donned a hooded cloak to travel incognito. Although the guards fell in, she dismissed them and the two companions hurried to Countess Marlyne's quarters. Upon delivering her to the door, Elisse asked, "shall I return for you, Princess?"

"No, I am sure that I will be quite able to make my own way, should it be necessary," she assured her companion.

Elisse hugged the Princess, an intimacy long permitted between the two, and waited for the door to be answered. It opened and Lady Marlyne greeted them.

"Princess Charlene and Lady Elisse, please come in."

Elisse courteously declined the invitation and departed.

"We do not have much time. I have asked Sir Reginald to call at half past the hour and I do not want to be present when he arrives. There are refreshments on the sideboard and my maid will not return until the tolling of ten tomorrow. Enjoy your evening. I am sure that you will find it, how shall I say, educational," the Countess concluded with a knowing smile.

"Sir Reginald, Countess, the Commandant of the Royal Guards?"

"Yes, Princess, do you find him objectionable?"

"No, but he serves the King. Would not another gentleman better suit our purpose?"

"As you are aware, Princess, I am intimately acquainted with a goodly number of men. None do I admire more than him. I would trust him with my life and so I have, for he has threatened me with severe consequences, should I have deceived him into coming."

"Then I shall be sure to see that he is satisfied in all respects," the Princess replied suggestively, "but I detect your own affection for him. I should be remiss if I were to intrude on your relationship."

"In truth, I do have some affection for him, but he only fancies me among many. Do not be concerned, Princess, for a relationship must be acknowledged by both."

"If he does not see your true worth, Countess, then perhaps I am not the only one who requires an education. I am most anxious to meet this man who chooses quantity over quality."

"You are naíve, dear Princess, but I thank you for your compliment. My Sir Reginald" the Countess making light of the Princess' reticence, "is yours for the evening without regret, but I must be off. I will leave by the servants' door to avoid a confrontation."

"Countess," the Princess called after her, "please, what am I to do with him. Might not you leave me with some directions?"

"No, Princess, you need none. Let nature and the magic take their course."

Upon Countess Marlyne's departure, the Princess surveyed the room. Although not as lavish as the palace décor, it was tastefully appointed and very comfortable, obviously arranged for entertaining. As she completed her observations, there was a knock on the door. The Princess nervously called out, "please enter," not wanting to be seen from the corridor.

Sir Reginald, upon arriving at Countess Marlyne's quarters was fully prepared to castigate the perpetrators of the hoax. He boldly opened the door and strode in, hand on the hilt of his sword. Coming from the gloom of the corridor into the brightness of the room, it took a moment for his eyes to adjust and for him to recognize the person standing before him. There was no doubt, it was Princess Charlene. He reflexively dropped to his knee.

The Princess remembered that Countess Marlyne had mentioned his suspicion and daintily turned around to display herself, completing the circle to face Sir Reginald with an impish smile.

"May I assume you are satisfied that I am indeed Princess Charlene and therefore the Countess is in no danger of reprisal?"

The stunned Sir Reginald was speechless to find himself in the presence of the Princess.

"Please rise," the Princess addressed him. "Under the circumstances, I do not believe that such formality is necessary and I take your silence as confirmation of your satisfaction. If you would be so kind, I would enjoy a glass of wine and some conversation. Would you bring me one and join me?"

The Princess seated herself on the settee. Sir Reginald found the refreshments on the sideboard and poured two glasses, returning to stand before her, a situation he found extremely uncomfortable. Disregarding her earlier permission, he knelt and offered her the wine.

"Sir Reginald," the Princess challenged him, "do you usually entertain your women companions in that position? It would seem to be most uncomfortable and inconvenient."

"No, your Highness, but I have no experience in the protocol of entertaining a Princess," he confessed.

"Has Countess Marlyne explained the purpose of this appointment?"

"Yes, your Highness."

"Do you think it will be served by you down there and me up here?"

"No, your Highness?"

"Then should you not correct the problem?"

"Yes, your Highness"

Sir Reginald cautiously got up, so as not to spill his wine, and hesitatingly seated himself on the settee, as distant as possible from the Princess.

"There now, is that not more congenial and would it not be even more so, if you were not armed?"

"Yes, your Highness," Sir Reginald agreed, unclasping his belt, removing it and reaching over the back of the settee to drop it on the floor, so that the sword was out of sight.

"And do you not think that our conversation might be improved if you were to be more familiar by calling me Charlene. I assume that you refer to the other women of your acquaintance by their first names."

"You are the only Princess with whom I am acquainted, your Highness."

"Sir Reginald, this is tiresome. I command you to call me Charlene. There. You cannot be censured for obeying me."

"Yes, your High, Charlene."

"You see, Sir Reginald, we are making progress. If I am to properly receive my suitors, I must have some experience with a man and you are to provide it. Is that not your understanding of the purpose for which you are here."

"I, well, I, I," Sir Reginald stammered in response to the Princess' request for confirmation of his mission," I," he finally gave up and shook his head to clear it.

The Princess waited patiently.

"Your High, Prin, Charlene, I never expected that it would be as Lady, Countess Marlyne claimed. I am sorry, your High, Charlene, I was not prepared for your presence or your beauty. I am at a loss."

"There Sir Reginald, you have said that I am beautiful." She smiled charmingly. "A compliment is always appreciated, even by a princess. Have you been to war?" she asked, remembering Countess Marlyne's advice on first becoming acquainted by engaging in familiar conversation.

"Yes, I have," he answered.

"When I was a boy, my father wanted me to be a soldier. I'm afraid I was quite dismal at the use of weapons and paid no attention to my training in military tactics, to his disappointment and that of the Master of Arms, who feared for his reputation and his position. I have no affection for war."

It took Sir Reginald a moment to register the Princess' off-hand confirmation that she was male by birth. Recovering, he offered in return, "nor I Princess."

She looked at him incredulously.

"A soldier who cares not for combat, Sir Reginald, how can that be?"

"As an officer, I have ordered my men forward and watched as they were carried from the battlefield that night, when the sides gave respite to collect their dead. I have brought the news of their sacrifice to wives and children, whose grief wounded me deeper than any lance. I do my duty, Princess, but I take no pleasure in it. The glory of war is for bards and minstrels, not soldiers."

The Princess was impressed by the candor and ardor with which Sir Reginald expressed his feelings. Countess Marlyne did choose well indeed, she thought to herself. She reached over to him and sympathetically rested her hand on his. Sir Reginald felt a rush of warmth move through him and was captivated by the Princess' gentle assurance.

"Might I call you Reginald," the Princess requested, expressing her new found affection for him.

"Yes, please," Sir Reginald approved, becoming more at ease in her company.

The Princess continued, asking Sir Reginald about his family. They all served in the military for as many generations as was remembered. She asked about his experience in the Royal Guard. He told her of his campaigns and promotions, including his attendance as a young soldier at her christening. If the difference in their ages was of concern, she did not remark on it. She was curious as to his memory of the event and he recalled nothing amiss, but that it was so by way of a spell cast to conceal the mistaken blessing, according to Countess Marlyne. As the evening wore on and the wine in the carafe dwindled, the Princess sidled closer to Sir Reginald and cuddled against his arm, a liberty of which he did not complain.

"Reginald, would you think me bold to ask if you have any scars. I have read of such marks, but have never seen one. The women of the Court would certainly conceal any such blemish and I have been sheltered from the men."

"I do have scars, Charlene, but none which I could show without offense."

"Has Countess Marlyne seen them?"

"I, well, I, perhaps, she might, I mean, well, she," Sir Reginald equivocated.

"I take it she has."

"Yes."

"Would you show them to me, please?" she wheedled.

"I would have to remove my tunic."

"Might I help?" she asked, reaching up and undoing the first button at his collar and proceeding to the next, until they were all undone. "Oh my!" she exclaimed, playfully inserting her hand into the opening and caressing his chest, I did not know that men had fur."

The evening continued with the Princess making additional discoveries, completing her education as to the appearance and performance of male anatomy. An exhausted Sir Reginald awoke to the sunrise with the Princess' head on his shoulder. Upon his movement, she snuggled closer.

"Mmmm, Reginald, I had the nicest dream."

Fearful of provoking another amorous encounter, which he doubted he would survive in his weakened condition, Sir Reginald tried to move their activity in a more practical direction.

"Charlene, we must get dressed. Countess Marlyne will be returning soon."

The Princess reached up, drew his face towards hers and gave him a kiss, moving her hand over his chest and into his lap.

"I doubt that your trousers will fit. Perhaps I should help you," she suggested seductively.

"Charlene, I can't."

"Really? Should you not make a valiant effort before conceding defeat?" she appealed.

"I believe the troops will stand down of their own accord, if not provoked," Sir Reginald continued with her military metaphor.

"I am sorry to assert my superior rank, but I insist on a frontal assault."

"I thought you paid no attention to your training in military tactics?"

"Who said anything about military tactics, Reginald?"

When the tower bell tolled seven, Sir Reginald and the Princess had finally dressed themselves. Familiar with removing women's garments, Sir Reginald was less adept at restoring them, but managed to assist with the various fastenings and laces.

"Would you please accompany me to my chambers, Sir Reginald?" the Princess requested formally.

"I am at your command, your Highness," Sir Reginald acknowledged, bowing in deference.

He went to the door, opened it and stepped out, hand on hilt, making sure the passage was secure. The Princess waited for his approval and then followed him out. Once in the courtyard, the Princess requested his arm.

"Be of no concern," she assured him, "the public display of affection by the Princess for the Commandant of the King's Royal Guard will not diminish your reputation with the ladies of the Court."

"It was your reputation, not mine, of which I was mindful, your Highness."

"Let them think what they will. Their idle gossip concerns me not." Continuing with their walk, the Princess commented, "Countess Marlyne is indeed a remarkable woman."

"She is indeed," Sir Reginald agreed.

"She holds great esteem with my mother, the Queen, and with me. The two of you share a secret known only to the royal family. Is that not a significant coincidence?" the Princess pondered provocatively.

Upon that remark, they arrived at the Princess' chambers. The two guards stationed outside her door stood to attention and saluted. Sir Reginald opened the door and dropped to his knee as she entered. He rose and closed the door, returning to his quarters to take the first of many dousings with cold well water, to the bewilderment of his orderly. When he finally had composed himself, he went, as he was bid, to report to the Countess.

Chapter 16. Wedding Bells.

The Countess returned to her quarters on the toll of nine and surveyed its condition. The empty carafe and the disheveled settee confirmed the success of Sir Reginald's inquiry. Jeana appeared at ten and was directed to restore order. Countess Marlyne went to freshen up, anticipating the arrival of Sir Reginald. When he arrived, she dismissed the maid, sending her on an errand to fetch an item she intentionally left at the apartment of a friend, with whom she had spent the night.

"Well, Reginald, are you here to take me into custody?" she asked, toying with the ring on its chain.

"Yes, but not in the manner you mean, Countess Marlyne.

"I do not understand. Did things not go as we anticipated last night?"

"I cannot speak of it."

"Reginald, this is not the time for chivalry," Countess Marlyne admonished him. "The future of the Kingdom depends on whether the Princess is receptive to a male suitor and he to her. I need an answer."

"Were I a prince, I would claim her hand."

"You did not find the Princess'," the Countess paused, "difference to be a problem?"

"What difference would that be, Marlyne?"

"Her lack of," the Countess paused again, "what it is necessary for a woman to have for the purpose of conception, Reginald. I am certain you have some familiarity with that particular feature."

"The Princess is perfect."

"That was not my question, but it will serve as an answer. I take it then that you see no obstacle to her becoming a bride?"

"None, but for the rivalry between her suitors."

"Yes, well, I would hope that the magic is capable of accomplishing its end without placing her husband-to-be in jeopardy. Well done, Reginald. You have discharged your duty honorably and I am most grateful."

"I have one more task to perform."

"Arresting me, Reginald? I had thought my rightful possession of the ring was confirmed last evening. Am I mistaken?"

""It is not your person, but your heart that I have come for."

"Reginald, you talk in riddles."

"I wish to marry you, Marlyne, if you would have me," Sir Reginald proposed, dropping to one knee."

"Oh, for goodness sake, Reginald, do get up. You are acting like a moonstruck calf. The Princess has that effect, of that I know myself. I do have great affection for you, but think of your reputation. The Commandant of the Royal Guards has lost his senses and married the palace tart. That is what will be said of you, Reginald. I could not bear to be the cause of your dishonor."

"Those words would be spoken but once before their death by my sword."

"Reginald, that is very gallant, but you cannot dispatch the entire Court to protect a virtue long lost. I doubt the King would approve of you slaughtering his nobles and I would not allow you to perpetrate such carnage in my name. I am what I am. In truth, I have considered leaving the Court. If it would please you, then I shall be your mistress and have no other lovers."

"No, Marlyne, you will be my wife and it is I who shall have no other lovers. You have my solemn vow of fidelity. I have wasted my time with women of no merit and, having found one of worth, I shall wed her. You cannot dissuade me. If I must bear ridicule to be your husband, then so be it. I have no fear of words."

"Reginald, I cannot marry you, for I have already borne a child. It is not an admission I make easily, but you deserve to know the reason for my refusing your proposal."

Reginald laughed heartily.

"You find the disclosure of my shame amusing, Reginald?"

"A child, Marlyne? Only one? I have lost count of those doddering husbands who believe their sons and daughters to be their own. Marry me and I promise to be tireless in my effort to provide you with another child, my love."

"Very well, then Reginald, but know that I will hold you to your promise."

Sir Reginald moved forward to embrace the Countess. To his surprise, she stretched out her arms to hold him off.

"Really, Reginald, what kind of woman would I be to allow such liberties before you have given me a ring?"

"Oh, yes, of course, Marlyne. I, I, apologize," he offered contritely.

Extracting the ring from her cleavage, the Countess announced, "oh, wait, I have a ring after all, how convenient" and rushed forward to bestow a kiss of such passion that the stalwart Commandant's knees buckled. Seeking another, the Countess playfully placed her fingers on his lips. "All things in good time, dear Reginald. I must not be deterred from reporting to the Queen and do you not have your own duties to perform?"

The pair departed and Countess Marlyne hurried to the palace. Her display of the ring was enough to insure her immediate audience and the page promptly delivered her to the Queen's door. She knocked and the Queen herself admitted her. As before, they were alone and the Queen had set out tea and pastries. Dispensing with the social amenities, Countess Marlyne revealed the good news.

"I am pleased to report, your Highness, that the Princess is female in all respects but one, which does not seem to be cause for concern. I believe that you may proceed with the plans for inviting suitors."

"Countess Marylne, you have done a great service for us and I am deeply grateful. I have one other favor to ask of you."

"Anything, your Highness."

"The King has charged me with overseeing a charity for those of our subjects who are ill or destitute. As I will be engaged in preparing for the royal ball to which the Princess' suitors will be invited, I would like you to be my secretary in this endeavor."

"Gladly, your Highness, although I have an affair of my own to arrange, since I am to be wed," the Countess happily proclaimed.

"Oh, I am so pleased for you, Countess. Who is the fortunate man?"

"Sir Reginald."

"The Commandant of the Royal Guards?"

"Yes, your Highness."

"A handsome couple to be sure, you are to be married in the Royal Chapel and my gift to you shall be a wedding gown that rivals the one to be worn by the Princess. I would allow nothing less and will hear no protest. It is a royal command. Provide me with a list of your guests and I will see that they receive proper invitations."

"I have no family, your Highness."

"You have me and the Princess. The King himself shall deliver you and bestow a generous dowry. In fact, I have changed my mind. The wedding shall be in the Cathedral and all of the Court shall be required to attend. Let them see who is the favorite of the Queen."

"No, please, your Highness, no spectacle. A simple ceremony will suffice. Nor is a dowry necessary."

"As you wish, but for my convenience, you and your husband will take quarters in the palace, for I shall require your company, and you are to keep the ring, Countess, until a more suitable symbol of my favor can be fashioned."

As the Countess returned to her quarters, she realized the truth of Elisse's observation. The magic did indeed reward those who furthered its purpose.

TO BE CONTINUED

up
54 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

How marvelous

erin's picture

Tension without conflict, it's a fine line you've chosen to walk with this story and you do it so well.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I love this tale!

Though I am completely mystified in regard to how you intend to resolve it.

I fear that your name does not do you justice. I should think you deserve a much more regal moniker.

Many Blessings

Gwen

This is a charming story

I find it quite refreshing and fun to read such a story as this. I am anxious to see how things will be resolved in the end.

Still Got It

terrynaut's picture

This story continues to be wonderful. I am so looking forward to more.

That fairy magic is potent stuff!

Thanks. :)

Hugs

- Terry

sir reginald

laika's picture

knows the true measure of virtue. Or at least I like his interpretation of the term.
I'm happy for the countess. Hope the Princess fares as well as her an Elyse.
It's odd that the only forms of enchantment in this world are the few that are
pivotal to the plot. Seems the world would have a bit of incidental background magic,
an enchanted mill or bridge or something, a philosopher's stone laying around.
I guess yours is a better course than overloading the story with Shrek-ish wackiness
(nothing wrong with Shrek but it's been done), but the occasional non-intrusive reminder
that magic exists here might have been nice. Still I really love this. As with all your work,
workaday mundane psychology plays a big part in this "fairy story", Missy. You do people,
their hearts minds drives emotions rationalizations etc. etc. so well...
~~~hugs, Laika