The Prince Bride - 8

Printer-friendly version

The Prince Bride - Chapters 17 & 18
By Missy Crystal

Prince Charles was heir to the throne. At his christening, three of the four fairy protectors of the Kingdom (the kind with wings and wands) appeared to give him the customary blessings for a future king. The fourth fairy sister, arriving late from partying all night with the elves, mistakenly believes the baby is a girl and gives her the blessing of being a happy bride. Can the fairy magic be undone? Will the prince grow up to be a queen of one kind or another? Read the story and find out.

Chapter 17. All's Well.

Hurrying through the palace, the Queen arrived at the Council Chamber. The King was seated on his throne pondering proposals for trade alliances with the neighboring kingdoms and the consequences of giving preference to one over another.

"Henry, all is well!" she exclaimed excitedly.

Lost in thought, the King had not noticed the Queen's arrival. Unaccustomed to being spoken to without leave, the King looked up, intending to mete out a severe reprimand for the disturbance. Seeing that it was his wife, his menacing look turned to a smile.

"Good morning, Charlotte dear. I'm afraid I missed what you said."

"All is well," the Queen repeated.

"I am delighted to hear it, dear, but might you elaborate as to what is all well?"

"Not what, Henry, who."

"Who then, Charlotte?" King Henry indulged his wife.

"The Princess, Henry."

"Has she been ill? Why was I not informed?" the King asked with concern.

"No, Henry, Charlene is in good health."

"Charlotte, please do me the favor of starting from the beginning. I have no problem with affairs of state, but my own family's affairs are a puzzlement."

"You wanted assurance that there will be no complaint when the Princess' husband learns of her true nature.

"Yes, I do recall having some misgivings and you offering to make an inquiry. Have you done so?"

"Yes, Henry, I have done so and we have concluded that all is well."

"We, Charlotte?"

"Countess Marlyne and I."

"Who is Countess Marlyne?"

"The woman who spoke with the Princess, Henry. Have you not been paying attention?"

"Yes, but I am still at a loss as to the Countess. Do I know her?"

"I would hope not, but you will meet her when she is wed."

"If I do not know her, why am I going to her wedding?"

"Someone with experience in romantic affairs was required, Henry. You professed to have no acquaintance with such a woman. If you do know her, then there is a reward I bestowed which needs to be returned," the Queen pretended to accuse her husband, knowing full well his honor would not permit deception. "And she is to marry Sir Reginald."

"The Commandant of my Royal Guards?" the King asked, eager to change the subject.

"Yes, him."

"I am most pleased for both of them, but could we get back to the Princess. This woman has determined that Charlene is receptive to a male suitor and therefore we may proceed with our plan to introduce her to eligible princes. Am I right?" he asked hopefully.

"Yes, Henry, you are right."

"How did she manage to do this, Charlotte," the King inquired, looking askance.

"I do not know, Henry," the Queen answered truthfully. "Suffice it to say that the Princess confided in her and I trust her."

"Why would the Princess confide in such a woman and why would you consider her to be trustworthy, Charlotte?"

"Up to now you have deferred to my judgment in these matters. Henry. I believe the magic has provided her, as it did Elisse. Need you know more, dear?" the Queen artfully avoided answering the question.

"No, Charlotte. I am still mindful of my last attempt at intervention," he answered contritely to the Queen's relief. "It is in your hands. I hope for all our sakes you are right."

"May I have your permission to begin the preparations for the royal ball, Henry?" the Queen requested."

"Of course, my dear, and spare no expense. Charlene can wed but one of the Princes and the others will not take kindly to being deprived of her hand. Let them at least return home impressed with our hospitality for the sake of our future relations with their kingdoms."

"I shall see to it, Henry, that the royal ball is unrivaled and that our guests are most lavishly entertained. Before I send forth the invitations, are their any of whom you disapprove?" the Queen asked deferentially.

"I dare not, Charlotte, for such an insult to another royal house would not go without retaliation in some form. Nor do I think it prudent to limit the Princess' suitors, if the magic is to have its way," the King cautioned.

"Yes, you are quite right, Henry," the Queen agreed, nodding her head. "All of the princes who are eligible must receive an invitation."

The Queen gave the King a smile, turned and departed. She hurried to the Chamberlain's office and conferred with him as to those kingdoms which had previously sought alliances by marriage. To her surprise, all of the neighboring kingdoms but Dalmacia, which was already allied by her own marriage, had inquired. Could it be a coincidence or was it more of the magic's furthering its purpose?

The Chamberlain estimated that it would take about a fortnight for the fastest messengers to deliver the invitations and return with the responses. It would take another fortnight for the princes to arrive, more if they were traveling by coach, as was most likely. Assuming that they would not set out immediately and estimating an additional month to prepare for their arrival, he recommended that the date be set for three months hence. That would also be the time of the fall harvest, when food and wine would be plentiful, as it had been an exceedingly good year for crops, the meadows were lush and the cattle and sheep fat. Was it another fortuitous coincidence or more of the good result promised by the fairies?

Five messengers were outfitted in splendid uniforms of blood red tunics with a double row of gleaming gold buttons, black riding breeches with a gold stripe and black leather riding boots. They were given the fastest mounts in the royal stable, saddled and bridled with lustrous black leather tack adorned with silver trappings. In their matching black leather saddle bag, embossed and gilded with the royal coat of arms, to signify that they were on the King's business, they carried a beautifully penned invitation on the finest parchment that read: Their Royal Highnesses King Henry and Queen Charlotte of Trimontaine request your attendance at a Royal Ball to vie for the hand of Princess Charlene. The favor of your reply is requested. Upon inquiry, the messengers were to inform the recipient of the other princes to whom invitations had been sent.

The day following the dispatch of the messengers, the Queen arranged for Countess Marlyne's and Sir Reginald's wedding. Upon their introduction the morning of the ceremony, the King was taken by Countess Marlyne's lack of airs and pretense and was pleased to accept the honor of delivering her to the altar. Sir Ulrich stood up for his Commandant, Princess Charlene and Lady Elisse served as bridesmaids and the Queen was matron of honor. Following the service, the King, Queen and Princess bestowed the same symbols of their favor on the bride and groom as were given to Ulrich and Elisse, a brooch with the royal coat of arms for Countess Marlyne and a finely crafted sword for Sir Reginald, the Countess choosing a rampant lion, representing her husband's courage, in place of Ulrich's dragon. Following the reception, the newlyweds repaired to their apartment where Sir Reginald indeed did learn the pleasurable difference between love and lust. Keeping his promise of tireless effort, one month later, Countess Marlyne happily informed the Queen that she was pregnant.

Chapter 18. The Princes.

Upon arrival of the messengers, all of the kings, coveting a union with Trimontaine, were quick to accept on behalf of their sons and so the messengers reported upon their return. To have one prince visit was an historic occasion; to have five princes at the same time was unprecedented. The Court was frantic with anticipation. Recognizing that four of them would go away empty handed, those of the nobility with eligible daughters schemed how to pander them in consolation.

Like it was for the Prince's christening years ago, an event still remembered, but not for the right reason, every craftsman and tradesman worked night and day, an army of maids furiously scoured the palace and their butler counterparts polished silver, gold and brass from dawn to dusk. Mountains of firewood were stacked to fuel the ovens and stoves that would feed the princes and their entourages, storerooms were overflowing and, by no means least, the Royal Orchestra practiced until the lips of the trumpeters were so raw that they had to refrain from kissing their wives goodnight. No wonder, as the conductor had threatened to run his baton through anyone who missed a note and under the circumstances the musicians doubted he was jesting.

The Royal Family was no less caught up in the frenzy of preparation. Queen Charlotte and Princess Charlene had to sit through multiple fittings of their elaborate gowns and even King Henry was cajoled into fashionable new raiment for the occasion.

"Honestly, Charlotte," he complained, "must we decimate the poor creatures of my forests to adorn my cape with fur? Their pelts make it unwieldy and when cloaked I appear to have been swallowed by a beast which has suffered some ill fortune to its hide," being unappreciative of its intricate design of sable and white.

"Henry, dear, it is a burden of your own making," the Queen made light of his complaint, "for do you not recall requiring an ostentatious display to impress the princes? As to those poor creatures for whom you are so concerned, this is fall and the stoat's white fur is its winter coat. Your royal pardon comes three seasons too late. Should their sacrifice be for naught?"

Just as the first frost of fall settled into the valleys, King Henry was informed that a contingent of mounted soldiers accompanied by a train of carts had crossed over the border from Norvigia. Within a few days, reports of other border crossings were received. Word spread quickly and those farmers and villagers on the routes to the palace stood shivering in the morning air awaiting a spectacle the likes of which had never been seen before and would never be seen again.

Traveling light and outdistancing their supporting caravan, Prince Johanus of Norvigia, and his troop of lancers, resplendent in their black and gold uniforms with plumed helmets and flowing capes, was the first to arrive. The Prince was invited into the palace and his soldiers were directed to a bivouac area nearby to set up camp once their supply wagons caught up. Although he had hoped to be welcomed by the Princess, he was instead greeted by the Chamberlain who escorted him to his quarters. Princess Charlene would, he was told, greet him at a reception once all had arrived. A brilliant military strategist, the Prince had prepared for such a contingency. He came from a kingdom known for its fine horses and had brought with him a mare for the Princess. Would she not ride with him?

The Princess excitedly accepted his invitation. That afternoon the mare was saddled and Prince Johanus stood by his own black stallion eagerly awaiting Princess Charlene's arrival. For many years, travelers to Trimontaine had returned with glowing accounts of the beautiful, charming and inquisitive Princess and he was eager to see for himself his future bride, since he was confident he would prevail. What appeared to be a young man dressed in a cavalry uniform approached and the Prince moved to challenge him.

"Good afternoon, Prince Johanus, I am Princess Charlene," she introduced herself. "The mare is most beautiful and I thank you and your kingdom for such a fine present. Does she have a name?"

The blue eyes, fine features, flawless complexion, red lips parted slightly to reveal white teeth, rounded figure and blonde hair tied back with a gold ribbon confirmed her identity. The Prince could not have been more stunned if his stallion had struck him in the head with his hoof. The Princess gently patted the white mare while awaiting his recovery.

Although they were peers, the Prince could not help but take a knee. Gazing up, he apologized, "I was not expecting you to be so attired, Princess, although it is most becoming," he added tactfully. "The mare's name is Dove. I hope she pleases you."

"She pleases me greatly, Prince Johanus. What say you Dove, shall we take flight?" she addressed the mare while mounting her. Dove pawed the ground and whinnied in acceptance of her rider's gentle hand on her reins. The Princess nudged her with her unspurred heels and Dove compliantly moved forward in an easy gait.

It took Prince Johanus a few moments to regain his composure. He quickly mounted his stallion and started after the Princess. She held Dove to a walk as he caught up and then moved her into a trot. As they cleared the palace grounds, she broke into a canter and then full gallop with Prince Johanus keeping apace. For the rest of the afternoon they rode through fields and woodlands, vaulting fences, hedges and streams, occasionally slowing to allow their mounts to get their wind and then racing off through the countryside. By the time they returned to the stable, Prince Johanus was determined to win the hand of Princess Charlene at all costs.

"Thank you again for Dove, Prince Johanus. She is most beautiful. Thank you too for your company. I do hope you were not put off by my appearance. Skirts are such a nuisance for sitting ahorse," the Princess said coyly, finally having a practical use for Elisse's lessons in flirtation."

"You are most welcome, your Highness," was the best he could muster in awe of a woman whose skill in equestration matched his own.

She turned and walked off, leaving the Prince to berate himself for his lack of eloquence and to consider kidnapping her if all else failed.

Prince Johanus hoped for another opportunity to be alone with the Princess, but his invitation to ride was postponed by the arrival of Prince Nehlsen of Crinthos. His gilded coach was preceded by a mounted military band heralding his arrival with thundering drums and blaring trumpets. The Prince, dressed in his royal regalia, befitting his position as Minister of State in preparation for his ascension to the throne, was greeted by the Chamberlain and shown to his quarters. He too was anxious to meet the Princess and had brought a gift that he calculated would catch her fancy. Would the Princess take custody of a puppy bred in the royal kennels?

Never having her own pet, the Princess enthusiastically agreed. They met in the Chamberlain's office, where Prince Nehlsen presented a cream colored spaniel with long floppy ears and a wavy silken coat. Completely taken by the puppy's big black eyes and affectionate disposition, the Princess held her gently, stroking her head and bestowing little kisses on her muzzle, an intimacy the Prince envied, having confirmed for himself the reports of the Princess' beauty.

"Her name is Merry, Princess Charlene, and I am Prince Nehlsen, your most humble admirer," he introduced the puppy and himself haltingly in Trimontese.

"I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Prince Nehlsen," the Princess greeted him in perfect Crinthish, to his amazement, making a polite curtsey while still cuddling the puppy, "and I am delighted with Merry. I do believe she will be a most comforting companion in my bed on cold nights," she added provocatively, continuing to practice her flirting.

"Merry is a most lucky dog," the Prince complimented the Princess, emboldened by her fluency in his language. "She requires but food, water, exercise and affection, Princess Charlene. She is a natural hunter when grown, so do not let her off her leash outdoors, lest on her return she rewards you with a rodent," the Prince bantered.

The Chamberlain discretely having left to allow the couple privacy, they conversed with Merry napping in the Princess' lap, waking occasionally to lick her hand. The Prince was amazed by the Princess' knowledge of animal breeding, although he would have been even more amazed if he knew the reason for her interest in the subject, and captivated by her familiarity with his kingdom. On his return to his quarters in the late afternoon, he calculated whether there was enough gold in his father's treasury to serve as an irrefusable bribe to the King, the bankruptcy of his kingdom of little matter if it would gain him the Princess' hand.

As the Princess had already broken with convention by keeping company with Prince Johanus and Prince Nehlsen before they were formally received, she felt it only fair to afford the same opportunity to the other princes, much to the disappointment of those two who already had their turn. Prince Louis of Silasia was the next to arrive. His kingdom was the only one bordering on the sea and he commanded the navy. Dressed in his gold braid festooned admiral's uniform and cocked hat, he presented the Princess with a fully rigged model of his flagship, the HMS Victory, carved in intricate detail from the white bones of a giant sea creature called a whale. The Princess was fascinated with the ship, having only read about such vessels. She passed the afternoon learning about sailing with Prince Louis's instruction facilitated by her command of Silasian. As their time together drew to a close, the Prince enticed her with the promise of commissioning the HMS Charlene. It would be the greatest ship ever built and carry them on a voyage to explore distant lands. Would her Highness care to continue her lesson in seamanship in preparation?

Following Prince Louis was Prince Wolfric of Wurthenborg. Although he was an engineer by education, overseeing his kingdom's royal construction projects, his passion was music. He presented the Princess with a rectangular box of polished wood that held a harp laid on its side, the strings of which were plucked by pressing on wooden blocks, which he called keys, arranged in a row at the front of the instrument. The Princess had a good ear and with the Prince's patient instruction, she learned to play a duet. Prince Wolfric enthusiastically offered to continue her lessons.

Last to arrive, although with no less pomp, was Prince Ayndrew of Estlund. Slight of build and mild in temperament, he had dedicated himself to academic pursuits. His kingdom boasted the finest university, over which he presided. Having heard of the Princess' invitation to visiting philosophers and scholars for colloquy, he brought no enticement but his intellect. While the tangible presents were greatly enjoyed by Princess Charlene, the opportunity to discuss philosophy and natural science engaged her completely. It was only when the candles had melted down to stubs that the Princess excused herself to rest. As far as Prince Ayndrew was concerned, he would wed the Princess or remain celibate, for no other woman would ever match her beauty and intelligence.

"I am at a loss, Elisse," Princess Charlene confided to her the next morning, "for in truth each of the princes has qualities which I find attractive. I cannot choose between them. What say you as to how your heart was won?"

"Our lives are set on different paths, but you have asked and so I shall answer that I knew when first we met that I wanted Ulrich's child." Elisee ran her hand lovingly over her swelling belly. "There is still the royal ball. The magic may yet reveal your prince in another way. Give it time little sister," she advised, using a term of endearment from long ago and giving the Princess a reassuring hug.

Once all of the Princes were comfortably settled, a reception was held in their honor. Upon arriving in the banquet hall, they greeted each other deferentially, the language barrier and their rivalry avoiding more than rudimentary conversation. When informed that all were present, the royal family entered. All eyes turned to the Queen and Princess, who were exquisitely dressed, coifed and bejewled, causing the ignored King to conjure up the amusing image of an onslaught of outraged stoats seeking retribution for the unnecessary deaths of their relatives. Proceeding to the head of the table, they took their places.

"Princes, we are pleased to offer you our hospitality," King Henry announced. "Although I know well your names, I call them not, lest the order be considered significant. Would that I had five daughters, for in truth I would welcome all of you as their husbands. As I have but the one, it is for you to win her heart and her hand without my influence or intervention." Princess Charlene demurely lowered her eyes, disguising her eagerness to fulfill the blessing by her marriage. King Henry, raising his goblet, toasted, "long life and happiness to Princess Charlene and good luck to you in your courtship of her."

The Princes were conversant enough in Trimontese to understand the King's words. They rose, raised their goblets and returned the toast, "to Princess Charlene," omitting the wish for luck to their rivals. The meal was then served and when all had their fill, the King and Queen excused themselves, leaving the princes and Princess to socialize. Princess Charlene retired to the drawing room where brandy and port were offered to the princes. Sipping their drinks, the adept Princess simultaneous carried on conversations in five languages. When the tower bell tolled twelve, she bid the Princes goodnight and retired. Elisee was waiting for her, as she would not allow anyone but her to undress the Princess, nor could she sleep until she received news of the reception.

"Well, Princess, are you betrothed?" she asked, although unlikely, but not impossible where magic was involved.

"No, Elisse, I am bewildered, for the more familiar I become with the Princes, the greater my fondness for them grows."

TO BE CONTINUED

up
35 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Has she concidered the advanages of becoming a ....

polygamist?

Wow, she sure has no problem with being attracted to men. But when it comes to deciding. I know, marry them all then the fairy magic would combine them into one perfect man.

Okay, I'm being silly but this is getting real interesting plus what of Countess Marlyne's long lost child, is he one of the princes or a dark-horse candidate for the Princess hand?

Nice chapter.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. The king comes off like a *blonde* in this chapter. I liked it.

John in Wauwatosa

Still not giving anything away, Missy

You cunning ...!

Have you and Sarah Lynn Morgan been colluding on how to confuse the heck out of the reader?

You don't give anything away about Charlene's present physical state. You show us that she is attracted to men but now she has five to choose from, what next?

Awaiting developments with much interest.

Susie

an alternate yet parallel storyline

Wouldn't this be a good time to strt;

"The Princess Groom"?

Huggles,

Winnie

Huggles,

Winnie
Winnie_small.jpg