It's Complicated - Part 2 "Angela's Woes"

Printer-friendly version
 It's Complicated  

Part
 
Two

 

"Angela's Woes"

 

 
This is the seventh book in the Tamara's Tales (formerly Tommy & Tamara) series. For the whole saga visit Tamara's Tales
 

 
Saturday 19th December 2015 (continued)
 

Angela was about twenty feet ahead of Tammy and Suzie and plainly hadn't seen the moped coming over the cobbles towards her. She was knocked to the ground as her bag was dragged off her shoulder before the teenaged moped rider accelerated away.

Unfortunately that took him within range of Tammy, who quickly closed the distance, swinging her own bag at the rider. A moment later he landed heavily on the cobbles. He'd dropped Angela's bag and managed to make an exit just as Tammy was reaching for it.

"You took a risk!"

"Tell that to Angela, what does she have in that head of her's?"

"Cotton wool, probably. Look, she has a limited outlook on life."

They'd reached Angela, who was still sat on the cold stones feeling sorry for herself.

"Here's your bag, get up!"

"No!"

A few people from across the square had seen what happened and were heading towards the sorry state that was Angela. Suzie took her sister's arm and pulled her up.

"Do you want to make a spectacle?"

Angela shook her head but immediately reached for her phone instead of taking her bag back. Suzie snatched the phone away.

"No, Angela! What are your priorities?"

Tammy spotted a bar across the square and suggested they went there. She smiled at the onlookers but concentrated on pushing her sister out of the way.

Tammy went to find a table whilst Suzie took Angela into the Ladies loo for a sisterly chat. A few minutes later they were back with a chastised Angela apologising to Tammy.

"Thank you for getting my bag back."

"You shouldn't have lost it in the first place, didn't you see how Suzie and I put the straps across our shoulder?"

"Yes, but why?"

"Angela, you need to get out more! It makes it harder to steal the bag. You wouldn't survive in London at all."

"No, and I don't think I want to! Both of you have good jobs and I'm left in Thurso with the old-uns and no social life!"

A waitress took their drinks orders and left them food menus, even though they hadn't asked.

"Look, Angela, I am supposed to be in Thurso, it wasn't my plan to spend the winter in London. My university course is on hold, as it stands you'll qualify before I do."

"I didn't think you'd be back?"

"When things settle back down, I'll be back, but I'm under a contract at the moment that I means I'm obligated to work."

"Yeah, but mum nags me all the time and suggests that you two are good examples."

Tammy and Suzie laughed, "seriously Angela? I'm dangerous? I can't imagine mum meant that!" Suzie nodded.

Three small beers were delivered to the table, Tammy looked up just in time to see two police officers entering the bar, it didn't take long for the three girls to be identified.

"Guten Abend, meine Damen. Wir hatten einen Bericht von einem Raub auf dem Platz, war einer von euch das Opfer?"

"Oh, sorry, we're English." Tammy answered as Suzie didn't look comfortable and Angela just wanted to disappear.

"Ah, good evening. We were informed of a robbery in the Platz, was one of you the victim?"

"Platz? Oh you mean the Square! Yes it was Angela, but she didn't lose her bag."

"Please tell us what happened?"

Tammy recounted the incident from ten minutes earlier.

"We won't have to give you a statement, will we?"

"Not at the moment, how long are you staying in Düsseldorf?"

"Just a few days, although Angela could return to Britain tomorrow."

"Where are you staying?"

"The Steigenberger Parkhotel"

"Danke, please be careful, ladies."

Neither of the girls had touched their beers and, now, the whole bar was taking an interest in them. Tammy pulled a ten Euro note out of her purse and left it on the table.

"Come on."

Not a word was spoken as they walked back to their hotel. Tammy escorted them into the restaurant, there was little risk of something happening here.

Angela spent the next hour pushing food around her plate, but neither Suzie nor Tammy had a full appetite. By half-past eight they were back in the suite.

"Now, Angela, what the hell is wrong with you?"

"What do you mean?"

"You don't want to be with us, in fact you don't want to be here at all. Then you get robbed and could easily have been hurt badly, but all you demanded was the return of your phone."

"Well? Can't I have it?"

"Not until we've got to the bottom of this."

"You're as bad as Mum! Both of you!"

"Angela, we care about you, but you have to tell us what's going on?" Suzie was nearly in tears.

"No, you'll just tell me I'm just silly or that I should grow up."

"We won't!"

"Really? I heard what you said earlier about cotton wool, is that how you see me?"

"Angela, we care, but we're both concerned." Suzie sat next to Angela and put her arm around her sister. "You are so distracted that it's affecting your judgement."

Angela said nothing. Tammy looked on but decided to keep quiet.

"Angela, we really do care, but we can't help you unless you tell us what is going on!"

"It's complicated."

"I'm sure it is, but what is it?"

"It's a girl."

"Okay, does she have a name?"

"Hailey."

"Okay, so tell me about Hailey?"

"She's on the same course as me."

"Okay, have you been messaging Hailey since we arrived here?"

"Yes."

"So she knows where we are?"

"Err, yes, but I trust her."

Tammy bit her tongue, Suzie was handling this better that Tammy ever could.

"Okay, so what's Hailey like?"

"She's fun, we like the same things and she's interested in me."

"Is she a best friend or is she after a relationship?"

"Oh, a friend, but she wants me to meet her brother."

"Where does she live?"

"In Castletown."

Suzie nodded, she'd recently spent a month in Thurso so had a better idea of the local geography. "So what's the problem?"

"She was insistent I met her tonight."

"Why?"

"She said she had a surprise for me."

"Really?"

"Yes, I think I should go back tomorrow?"

"No!" Tammy and Suzie were insistent.

"Earlier you told the police I would be going home tomorrow, now you say I can't - what's going on?"

"Angela, you're being set up. How long have you known Hailey?"

"Two weeks."

"And what do you think this surprise is?"

"I don't know."

"Does she know about your special status?"

"No, but I did tell her I was a virgin."

"You were being prepared just like an oven ready turkey, all that was needed was for you to get stuffed."

Angela ran into the loo, sobbing, and was still there when their parents arrived back.

"What's up with Angela?" Joan was plainly concerned, Suzie explained what happened.

"Oh, what do we do?"

Richard suggested doing nothing before the morning, Joan meanwhile offered a few words of support through the toilet door before heading for her and Richard's room. "Good night all."

Angela emerged a few minutes later. "I thought she was going to have a go at me?"

"What would that have achieved? Look, we're all worn out and nothing more will happen before the morning."

Angela nodded, "can I have my phone back then?"

"No!"

 
Sunday 20th December 2015
 

They took breakfast in the hotel restaurant before any major decision of the day. By mutual consent, no-one had their phones on show. Angela had also stopped reaching for her phone every few seconds, especially as Joan had it.

"There's a few Christmas markets within walking distance and the hotel can ship any purchases back to Scotland."

"How long are we staying, Dad?"

"As it stands, we'll head East tomorrow." Richard wouldn't be more specific, despite Angela's pleas.

All five of them went in search of a market, with the aid of a hotel supplied map. Tammy now had her camera over her shoulder and was scanning the area for moped riders.

They first headed along Königsallee, Tammy and Richard laughed when the others spotted the window displays.

"Three thousand Euro? For that?" She was looking at a coat.

"Sure, Suzie, this isn't a cheap street. Dad and I came here a couple of years ago on business. The hat and scarf are extra, by the way."

Eventually the window shopping was complete, and they escaped to The Sternchenmarkt. Tammy was starting to relax but the crowds were building so she tried to remain vigilant when they entered Engelchen-Markt.

Finally they reached Marktplatz by the Düsseldorf Town Hall and every side street was busy with locals and tourists. Not everyone looked friendly so Tammy kept a tight grip on her bag and camera and indicated that the pother girls should be careful. Angela was still moaning as her phone hadn't yet been returned, but at least that was one less distraction. It had started to snow, lightly, adding to the magical feel of their environment.

Across the square they heard a scream, followed by a shout in German. A teenage lad suddenly appeared in front of Tammy, carrying a shoulder bag. Tammy threw herself in the way and knocked him down, now recognising him as the previous evening's moped rider.

Joan was not happy with Tammy's intervention but her intended admonishment was interrupted by the arrival of a woman and a police officer. The woman was clearly pleased to have recovered her bag and the officer was calling for backup as he detained the thief. Tammy stood back, intending to walk away but the victim seemed to recognise the three girls.

"You were on Schadowplatz last night?"

"Were we? I don't know."

"Ja, was this the same boy?"

"Yes, I think so."

The officer's command of English wasn't perfect but he now realised the significance. A few more officers now arrived, one of whom had seen the girls the previous evening. Joan was not happy at all, especially as a large group of onlookers had gathered.

Initial statements were taken but Tammy was reticent to say much, Suzie meanwhile was frightened that Tammy got even deeper into the Scheisse. One problem was the box that asked for Tammy's occupation. She simply wrote 'Civil Servant' in the end. Angela stuck close to Joan, clearly out of her depth.

A more senior officer arrived, he introduced himself as Polizeikommissar Koln after being handed Tammy's statement.

"Good morning Miss Smart, do you make a habit of intervening in robberies?"

"Not normally." Suzie snorted. "Well, sometimes, especially if one of my sisters is the victim." She pointed at Angela.

"I see, unfortunately the boy has alleged you assaulted him."

"Oh, is he trying to avoid prosecution?"

"Not quite, but your name would become common knowledge."

"Scheisse! That would be a problem."

"Indeed, Miss Smart, which agency do you work for?" She was certain he was just fishing, but a simple answer was out of the question.

"Sorry, I can't say."

"Well, I suggest you enjoy the market and try not to apprehend any more of our citizens, you did say that he slipped on a cobble in front of you, didn't you?"

"I'm not sure, could I check my statement?"

"Of course."

Half an hour later they took refuge in a bar for coffee and hot chocolate, although a few spicier drinks were available.

"Girls, we're here to get away from all the stresses, not to create new ones." Richard was doing his best. "Indeed, this is meant to be a relaxing break." Joan was almost pleading.

They stayed in the bar long enough to order lunch, outside the snow was falling heavier and very soon the bar filled. By two they were on their way back to the hotel, empty handed and treading carefully on the iced cobbles. Richard first, however, asked for a quick diversion to Burgplatz to take a look at Schlossturm. "This tower is all that remains of the Düsseldorf Castle."

Tammy took some photos, the first of the day, and then they were on the move. Angela manoeuvred Tammy out of parental earshot.

"That was very brave."

"To be honest, Angela, it was pretty stupid."

"Oh, why?"

"He might have had a knife and was certainly close enough to me to do damage."

"I thought you did this all the time?"

"No, I work in an office and the closest I do to physical work is walking to and from the tube stations."

"So you don't arrest anyone?" She was clearly confused about her sisters' occupations.

"No, I don't have that authority or the training."

"But you shot...." Joan had clearly been listening. "No Angela, you should never say that."

"But ...." Tammy shook her head. "You never know who's listening, remember that there could still be legal action."

They made to back to the hotel, Richard and Joan made reservations to eat in the restaurant as the the girls made their way up to their fourth floor suite.

"Tammy, why did that officer ask who you worked for?"

"I'm not sure, Angela, although I did say I worked for the Government." Tammy opened the door and led them in.

"I have an idea," Suzie sat down, "I sent some reports to the BND, under my name, last Autumn. They concerned Düsseldorf."

"BND?"

"Bundesnachrichtendienst, Angela, the German Foreign Intelligence Service. My guess is that Koln saw one of those reports and jumped to a conclusion. Tammy, you didn't try to swerve him, did you?"

"No, damn!"

Angela looked confused, "What? No harm done?"

"Both Suzie and I have to report this." Suzie was shaking her head and pulled her finger across her mouth. Tammy realised their room could be bugged, not that there was any evidence to that effect. Protocol, however, dictated that you did not take unnecessary chances, especially in a foreign country.

"Bloody spies."

Both Suzie and Tammy stared at Angela, amazed that she would say that, although a smile soon started to creep across their sister's face. Soon all three were laughing. Unfortunately Joan and Richard's faces looked like thunder when they arrived. Richard's phone was in his hand.

"Sorry girls, we have to return to Thurso."

"Why?"

"Elsie."

up
392 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Bloody spies."

giggles.

DogSig.png

Sounds like Elsie took sick

Sounds like Elsie took sick or is now in the hospital. Very sad, as she has always been there for Tammy, her dad and the others.

phew!!!!!

Dose of Tammy administered just in time to stave of withdrawal. I do wish Elsie could have a miraculous recovery, there should be more Elsie's in the world.

conclusion

Alecia Snowfall's picture

I conclude that Tammy has indeed become an idiot magnet.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

The fact that a good Samaritan.....

D. Eden's picture

Who stops a crime has to be worried about prosecution in many European countries has lays bothered me. Like Tammy, my first instinct has always been to go to the assistance of someone in need, and if that means interfering in the commission of a crime, then so be it.

I carry a scar on my left hand from a knife wound received while breaking up a bar fight during my twenties. Three thugs were assaulting a young man in a bar because he objected to their treatment of his girlfriend. One of them produced a knife, and that was the deciding factor for me. So I stepped in, disarmed the knife wielded, and put two of the three down. The third was handled by the original young man.

When the police arrived, our statements were taken, as were those of several witnesses who corroborated our's. I was offered medical assistance for the knife wound I received while disarming the first assailant, and I never had to appear in court as my deposition was enough for a conviction.

Yes, I had a lot of training to back up my decision to step in, but it wasn't the training that made up my mind. It was the outrage at the actions of several people, and the disgust at the remaining patrons for not doing anything beyond cowering back from the altercation. And yes, the fact that my ID showed me to be an officer in the US Navy probably helped to get my statement accepted. You see, in some places, services still means something - and sometimes that whole officer and a gentleman thing really is taken into account.

Either way, it truly worries me that much of "civilized society" outside of the United States has gone too far toward supporting criminals and too far away from protecting the innocent victims.

In the city in which I live, it still says "To Protect and Serve" on the police cars. Perhaps we need to remember just who is being protected and served?

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Thanks Shiraz

tmf's picture

fo a wonderful tale.

The fact that a good Samaritan who stops a crime has to be worried about prosecution in many European countries has lays bothered me.

I don't want to contradict you, but even in Canada an the U.S.of A. there might be some criminal that will try to sue anybody that stop or try to stop them...

Peace and Love tmf

just

Maddy Bell's picture

Got home from Düssel as the locals call it. The Sternmarkt is stupidly expensive to eat and drink at - much cheaper at the Altstadt (they don't call the market there anything else, just Altstadt).

The girls missed some of the best stuff, the wheel on the river front near Altstadt, the great food on the stalls - not all Würstchen or Pommes (french fries) but all manner of stuff sweet, savoury and almost all delicious! And surely they sampled either the Glühwein or Kakao - if not, why not? It's most of the reason for visiting the markets!

Snow is quite rare in Düsseldorf - it tends to fall on the hills just to the east (think Manchester), i've been there with inches on the hills and just enough to call snow in the city. The markets don't empty with the white stuff, just the opposite, everyone enjoys the extra 'Heimat' experience!

There are warnings about purse snatchers on all the big markets as well as the busy railway stations - something I've not come across in my years of travelling there.

Pity they have to go back to Scotland, I was looking forward to following their trip across Europe.


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Somehow I doubt

Julia Miller's picture

That Tammy will ever have a complete vacation, though this is the closest that she has come so far. Shiraz makes sure that something will always happen to our girl or her family, and vacations will be a distant memory.

Tammy And Trouble

joannebarbarella's picture

Never a dull moment with our girl.

No help at all

Jamie Lee's picture

Sure is hard to keep a low profile when they have to spend their time keeping Angela out of trouble.

With her current attitude, her helping them keep a low profile is useless. She better get into a better frame of mind before the wrong people spot them because of her.

Others have feelings too.