It's Complicated - Part 10 "Aunt Tammy"

Printer-friendly version
 It's Complicated  

Part
 
Ten

 

"Aunt Tammy"

 

 
This is the seventh book in the Tamara's Tales (formerly Tommy & Tamara) series. For the whole saga visit Tamara's Tales
 

 
Boxing Day 2015
 

Tammy woke with a slightly sore head, the party had concluded around eight the previous evening but that had meant she'd been drinking on and off for seven hours. There was no way she would be able to get behind the wheel of her car today and she doubted if her parents were any better off.

Dragging herself into the shower, she washed well, making certain the previous night's make-up had been completely removed. Her daytime war paint hadn't been any more than the minimum, but Daisy had wanted to practice on someone. Finlay had declined, as junior Highland chieftains only wore make-up as they went into battle.

Tammy's first real decision of the day was to decide on clothing, a woolly jumper, long woollen skirt and thick tights seemed to be appropriate given the inch or two of the white stuff outside. She wandered down for breakfast just after eight, Zara was in the kitchen.

"You're the first one down!"

"Am I? Oh well, is there a pot of coffee?"

"Sure, black?"

"Yep, extra caffeine too."

"Be careful, you'll be buzzing around the ceiling, I'll organise some vit C for you."

"Thanks, I understand you looked after Daisy on Christmas eve?"

Zara poured a glass of juice and put it in front of Tammy.

"Yes, she reminds me of my niece. I had no idea I'd end up going shopping on Christmas eve, though."

"I thought as much, I don't think Dave Brown or one of the groundsmen could have done it?"

Zara laughed, "I couldn't possibly say, but William drove me into town and carried all the bags. When I said to one of the shopkeepers where I was taking the dresses, she asked if you were going to see her?"

"Oh, you mean Sarah?"

"Yes, did you used to work for her?"

"I did, that seems so long ago now. Now, what's for breakfast?"

"I would cook a fried breakfast if you asked but I'd suggest cereal, boiled egg and toast?"

"Sounds good, but make it a mushroom omelette."

"Sure, if you get your cereal I'll get the rest started."

The combination of coffee and the glass of smooth juice helped perk Tammy up. Next one down was Suzie.

"When are you going to brief me, Tammy?"

"I'm not sure there's much to brief on, Dad brought you up to speed on the attempted break-in?"

"Yes, and Dave told me about the meeting, why was I excluded?"

"You weren't, it's just that you weren't there, plus I know the local coppers. Dave was there so Jenny will get a report."

"And she'll question why I'm not in the thick of it."

"Well, I'm interviewing Finlay later today, did you want to sit in?"

"No, it's an informal interview, isn't it? I will insist on a briefing, how about I do any research?"

"Okay, I have my work laptop but I don't know if you can log in?"

"I'll call the security helpdesk and ask them, is the study free?"

"As far as I know."

Suzie went off with a mug of coffee; Zara brought over the omelette and toast. "I've kept it warm."

"Thanks."

Suzie was back a minute later. "Cathy just called, can the kids use our pool?"

"Sure, when are they coming over?"

"Now, I said yes."

Tammy finished off her plate, wondering how the day was going to work.

There was a toot from outside a few minutes later, Zara was in the midst of preparing lunch so Tammy went to investigate. Finlay was driving a golf buggy but was stuck at the connecting gate, Daisy was alongside.

Tammy opened the gate, noting that both of the Smart's buggies were secure and on charge. She pointed where Finlay should park and locked the gate.

"Whose is that?"

"Grandma Eslie's."

"I didn't know they had one?"

"Aunt Cathy brought me over on Christmas eve on it!"

"Oh."

Finlay was dressed similar to Tammy, whilst Daisy was in leggings and shivering. Both carried a bag. "Come on, let's get in."

Tammy suggested to Zara that there would be two extra for lunch, made sure both had hot chocolate then took them into the sitting room. Her parents passed them, there was still no sign of Angela.

"Thanks for letting us use the pool, Aunt Tammy."

Tammy smiled, this was the first time she'd been called an aunt, something that just over a year ago wouldn't have happened.

"It's not a problem at all, when do you want to use it?"

"Can we go over there now?"

"I've not long had breakfast, so that wouldn't be a good idea yet. Maybe in an hour?"

They nodded. "Could I see your room?" Asked Daisy.

Tammy led them up, both noting the number of bedrooms. Tammy opened the door, thankfully Lily had been in even though she hadn't been seen.

"Oooh, it's lovely."

Daisy and Finlay went through her wardrobes, looking especially at the frocks. Tammy gave them some time, but had to ask the obvious question.

"Finlay, if you don't mind me asking, why did you wear this today?"

"I'm comfortable, that's all that matters to me. Why did you wear the same as me?"

"It looked like a cold day and I wanted to be comfortable."

"So it's the same reason."

Tammy couldn't fault his logic.

"Are you Finlay or Florence, today?"

"Today I'm Finlay. If I swapped the skirt for jeans, you wouldn't have asked me, would you?"

"True."

"I'm not wearing any make-up and I don't have a bra on so I'm not attempting to appear as a girl."

"Others might see it differently?"

"Maybe, but they're not here. Aunt Cathy said on Christmas Eve that everyone here would accept almost anything.

"So long as it's legal!"

"That's what I meant."

Angela knocked on the door but walked in without waiting, she was wearing a bunny onesie, complete with fluffy tail.

"Oh, hello?"

"Good morning Aunt Angela." Finlay swung his skirt, for effect.

"Err, good morning, where's Suzie, I mean Aunt Suzie?"

"In the study, last time I saw her."

"Thanks, Tammy."

Daisy giggled as Angela's tail went out of the door. "Aunt Tammy, can I borrow your iPad?"

"Sure, there's a guest account on it."

Daisy was already investigating, checking her email account. "I've had a message from an old school friend." She sat on Tammy's bed.

"You haven't told any of them where you are, have you, Daisy?"

"They knew my brother was in Scotland so were told I was going to join him."

"I see. Were any of your year friendly with Martina Gore?"

"Not really, she was three years ahead of me, anyway you'll be interested in this message."

"Okay?"

"It's about Beatrice, the girl I mentioned. Philipa says Bea is up the duff."

"That's unfortunate."

"No, she deserved it. Anyway, she's named one of the new support staff as the father so both have been kicked out of the school."

"How old is she?"

"Fourteen."

"So why do you say she deserved it? Her life's in ruins before she's even old enough to have a life."

"She was just a bitch, having sex like that."

"Daisy, I'm disappointed. How do you know that the message is true?"

"Philipa says so."

"Rule one, never assume anything. If at all possible, check and confirm before you start spreading lies."

"Why would Philipa lie"

"Was it really her? Did someone else use her account? Was she told what to write?"

"I didn't think that."

"So, is it fair to say someone deserved to get pregnant, just because you didn't like them?"

"No."

"Right, how about checking the story?"

"How?"

"Look at the local newspaper's website and search for your school's name."

It didn't take long. "Found it, school assistant arrested for solicitation. What's that?"

"Someone who's looking for sex. I'm not sure I should be discussing this with you."

"Well, it looks like Philipa got it wrong, another girl is pregnant by the assistant, but she's from a different school. It says Bea reported him so her parents transferred her to a different school."

"It sounds like a completely different story."

Daisy hung her head, "yes."

"Was Bea actually named in the article?"

"No, but her age is correct and her parents are stated as being overseas; she was the only one in my year like that."

"So again, you made an assumption."

"Yes, but Philipa's email is rubbish, isn't it?"

"It looks like it, the problem right now is you have two versions of the same story but can't verify either."

"I'll see what I can find out."

"No, don't dig any further - not unless it affects you."

"Then why are you trying to find out about our parents? Does it affect you?"

"In a way, yes. In this case, though, my manager asked me to help."

"Who do you work for?"

"Right now, the National Crime Agency."

"So you're police?"

"No."

"Then why is there a gun in your bag?"

"Erm, I forgot."

Finlay had let his sister question Tammy, but now took over.

"Where should it be?"

"Locked away."

"But isn't it an illegal weapon?"

"In the wrong hands, yes."

"You're a spy, aren't you?"

"Erm."

"Uncle Dave is one too."

"Im not a spy, I'm an investigator."

"Who carries a gun and shoots people?"

"I try not to."

"Well, it sounds like you didn't have a choice with Martina's mum."

"How do you know that?"

"Martina has spent the last two months moaning about how you killed her mum so a few of us got hold of the reports and proved it was justified."

"Where did you find the reports?"

"Underground websites, plus I hacked the CCTV footage from the crematorium."

"You hacked it?"

"Yes, really insecure, they were using default passwords on the server."

"How do you know this?"

"Mum taught me, she was an expert."

"Expert in hacking?"

"Not just that, she was good at communications, encryption, servers, recording equipment, everything technical. She was teaching me all her techniques."

"Won't the school be identified as the source of the hack?"

"No way, I used TOR to route via another country, after VPNing to the server in the recording studio."

"Okay, your house was searched and there's no studio."

"I never said it was in the house."

"So where is it?"

"I'm not saying unless I go there."

"That's not up to me."

"Well, it is up to me. I'm now the only director of the company that owns the studio."

"Okay, I'll see about that. What is it about the studio?"

"It's a regular recording studio that we rent out to local producers. They email me a booking request, I confirm the fee and give them that day's access code."

"You're running the company?"

"Well, who else would do it?"

tammy paused.

"So the business is still running?"

"Yes, all the bills are paid automatically and an accountant sorts out the tax, I need to confirm he has all the information for this year's return as Dad would have done that at the end of September."

"If that's the case, why did you route your hack through the studio server?"

"There's two servers, the one that the producers use and where my music collection is stored, then there's the private one. Mum and Dad uploaded everything from their work onto the private one."

"Everything?"

"Yes, documents, photos, audio and video. It's all secure and no-one else can access it."

"Can you?"

"Yes, but until three days ago I hadn't been able to crack mum's latest password for the private stuff; it's taken me months."

"So what can you get into?"

"I said it was everything, and I mean it. It's really weird listening to your own parents being killed though."

Daisy was sobbing, Tammy grabbed a few tissues, fighting the tears herself.

"Sorry, Daisy, it must be a shock to you to hear that?"

"No, I heard the recording on Christmas eve. I'm just remembering some good times."

"Well, it's a shock to me. How can you stay so calm, Finlay?"

"There's nothing I can do, is there? Once this information gets out we're at risk so getting all emotional won't help." He sat next to Daisy and put his arm around her, pulling her close. "I'll be your big sister later, if you'd like that?"

"Yes, please. Can we go swimming now?"

"In a mo, I need to change first."

Finlay and Daisy stripped without waiting, they were both wearing black one piece swimsuits. Finlay clearly had breasts.

up
394 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Can Finlay be trusted

Sounds like his conduct is very risky and might well get more people killed.

Gwen

Don't Ya Know?

Kids that age are bullet-proof and they'll never get caught, their elders are all idiots and old, what could they possibly know! Even Tammy is old enough to start getting stupid. Finlay forgets one thing, what one computer hack does another can usually undo. And those old people have a valuable commodity he lacks - experience.

I've been known to take a certain perverse satisfaction watching teens running headlong into the wall of reality. Sadly, sometimes those lessons can come with a very high price. The recording studio, for instance. He refused to tell Tammy where it is, but it seems there are a number of musicians and producers that know. Probably take all of five minutes to find out. That's as true of the Russians as it is Tammy's superiors. That could result in an unplanned meeting between the sides. The Russians want that information and are willing to kill to get it. As a fallback I'm sure they would settle for denying the British the info. That would make Daisy and Finlay expendible.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

studio

TheCropredyKid's picture

Do the people who use the studio know who actually owns it?

How many cutouts are there between the studio and the kids?

 
 
 
x

is it possible

Is it possible that Finley is like Tammy when she was Tom.

Wolf_0.jpg

"Out of the mouths of Babes"

"Out of the mouths of Babes" it is said, and Finlay is right now proving that saying correct to Tammy. Should be lots of evidence and information available one she or whoever is detailed to do so, gets to the secret section of the studio.

"Finlay clearly had breasts."

giggles. I remember "borrowing" my mom's suit because it had padding at the chest, enough to give me a more feminine shape. Is that what he's done, did he have a little more up top than I did?

DogSig.png

Definitely Complicated

joannebarbarella's picture

Finlay seems to slip into male and female mode as the mood takes him/her and is just as schizophrenic when it comes to the use of his computers. Tammy may have her work cut out sorting who is who and what is what.

It will make for interesting chapters in coming instalments.

Aunt Tammy

Now that's heart warming and with fuzzy feelings attached :)

Eye opener

Jamie Lee's picture

Well nix, what Finlay told Tammy was certainly an eye opener.

There is, however, a bit of an ego problem with Finlay. He has information and they don't. He knows where it is and they don't. But what he doesn't know about are the attempts which have been made to kidnap him and his sister because of the information he has access to.

Question is, why has he been sitting on it? If he wants those responsible for his parents death to pay, why has he sat on the information? Why play the "look what I have and you don't" game? If he plays around too long he and his sister might get to see their parents sooner than expected.

Others have feelings too.

I don't believe that Finlay trusts everyone completely yet

Julia Miller's picture

The hidden recording studio and the secret server are his only link to his parents, and he doesn't yet trust Tammy or anyone else to share where the location is at this point. It's his only ace in the hole and he wants to keep it to himself for now. As far as his gender, I guess we will see where Shiraz takes this story. He could be transgender, as well as that he just enjoys cross-dressing.