Young Love, Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

Patiently, Doc Brown waited. It was a long minute. Finally, he saw a young lady come from the kitchen toward his table. He looked at her closely. Could it be...? It was! He did not know whether to shout or dance. What could he say?

The chef was Lizzie Jane!

Young Love
A Lizzie Jane Adventure
Chapter 12
 
By Billie Sue Pilgrim

 

 

Chapter 12

Doc Brown looked at his watch. He did not like leaving Carter's Bend because an emergency could arise, but he felt this trip had been necessary. He had missed the last few medical conferences and it was important for him to keep up with any new information that could help his patients. Well, at least this conference was over. It had been held in Chattanooga and he had to go back through a small portion of Georgia to get back to Alabama.

He had heard so much about the meals at the "Just Like Home" Restaurant that he just had to stop there on the way home. The restaurant was not too far off his route, somewhere near Rising Fawn, Georgia.

Doc Brown did not mind going out of his way. This was mountainous country and he loved the mountains. Lookout Mountain, in Tennessee, was a tourist attraction from which it was claimed that a person could see seven states on a clear day. After leaving the Golden Corral Restaurant in Georgia, he would go up Sand Mountain and enter Alabama.

Three states in just a few hours. He could make it quicker, but he wanted to stop at the famous restaurant. He did not have any problem finding his destination.

He doubted that any restaurant could come up to Aunt Maudie's cooking. He was pleasantly surprised, after entering the crowded establishment, at the huge crowd of happy people enjoying a good meal. He was even more surprised to find that the food was just as good as Aunt Maudie's. He must see the chef and give his congratulations on such a fine meal.

"Oh, I will see if she can turn loose long enough to see you," smiled Carol after learning of Doc Brown's intentions. "You might have to wait just a minute."

Patiently, Doc Brown waited. It was a long minute. Finally, he saw a young lady come from the kitchen toward his table. He looked at her closely. Could it be...? It was! He did not know whether to shout or dance. What could he say?

The chef was Lizzie Jane! He wondered if her memory had improved much.

Now, he knew why the meal was as good as Aunt Maudie's. She had been Lizzie Jane's cooking instructor.

Doc Brown was a very wise old man, so he knew he had to be careful. Before she had been frightened and ran away after Doc Brown and Lizzie Jane's only family came into the room. He did not want her to run away this time.

Lizzie Jane introduced herself, "Hello, I am Elizabeth. I understand you wanted to see me."

'Elizabeth,' thought Doc Brown to himself. 'That was Lizzie Jane's name. Maybe she knows who she is'.

"Well Elizabeth, I want to compliment you on your cooking."

"Thank you, kind sir," replied Lizzie Jane. "I am happy you liked it. My aunt taught me how to cook. She was the best cook in the country."

"Well, not many thirteen year old girls can cook -- much less as delicious as this was. By the way, what was your aunt's name, if you don't mind me asking."

Lizzie Jane stood there a moment. She did not know her age. How did this man know she was thirteen years old? Was he guessing? And why did he ask for her aunt's name?

She wondered if he was from the orphan's home that she escaped from? She didn't remember where she came from, but she was convinced that it must have been an orphan's home -- or someplace more terrible!

Trying to think of a way to throw this gentleman off the track, she replied, "Thirteen? Whatever gave you that idea? I am sixteen years old. My aunt died some time ago, so I would rather not discuss her."

Doc Brown quickly realized that Lizzie Jane was trying to get him off the subject , so he apologized. "I am sorry. I did not mean any harm. You were such a great cook, I had to meet you and tell you so."

Lizzie Jane replied, "Well, thank you sir. Now I must get back to the kitchen. Come back soon. Okay??"

Although fake, Lizzie Jane gave him a cute little smile, a little curtsy and walked back to the kitchen. She didn't trust him -- a stranger asking such personal questions. By the way he said she was thirteen years old, it seemed that he must have known her before. Whatever she had run from, maybe she had not ran far enough.

Carol came back to the table and placed the courtesy bill face down. Doc Brown said, "I would like to thank the owner, too. Is he around here?"

"No, he is at home -- in bed sick -- with the flu."

Not knowing what else to do, Doc Brown said,"Thank you". He walked with her to the cashier's stand, paid his bill and handed Carol a good tip.

"Here is another tip for the good cook," he said with a smile. "I haven't had such a good meal since I ate at a friend's house the other day. Her name is Maudie and a great cook, too. If I didn't know better, I would think that Maudie taught Elizabeth how to cook."

He mentioned Maudie's name on purpose, hoping that it would get to Lizzie Jane and ring a bell. He didn't notice that Carol looked up at him in a peculiar way when he mentioned Maudie.

"We are pleased you visited us. Where are you from?" asked Carol.

"A little place called Carter's Bend."

This seemed like a good time for Doc Brown to drop another bombshell.

"Maudie lost her desire to cook since her niece disappeared. I feel so sorry for her."

What happened," asked Carol. "Did her niece die or something?"

"No, she just lost her memory and could not recognize her family. So, she just ran away."

Carol became curious. "What was the niece's name?"

"Oh, we called her Lizzie Jane." Doc Brown was hoping that Carol would connect Elizabeth and Lizzie together.

Carol thought fast. "Ah -- we sent out thank-you cards to our out-of-town customers, so if you don't mind giving me your address..."

"Sure, I don't mind," smiled Doc Brown as he picked up his bill and wrote on the back. Evidently his sly way of getting out information was working.

Carol stood there a minute thinking -- 'The girl who ran away was known as Lizzie Jane and she had an Aunt Maudie. Maybe our Lizzie Jane is remembering things and doesn't realize it. She had adopted the name, Lizzie Jane, herself to use around here. Somehow that must had been impressed on her mind -- and she remembered having an Aunt Maudie who taught her how to cook. Now, here comes this man and says that our food was as good as Maudie's.'

Carol did not know what she should do. One thing was to discuss it with Sam. She would do that tonight. First, she would make up some excuse to see Sam and leave Lizzie Jane at home alone. But, would that work? The girls went almost everywhere together. They were like inseparable twins. Well, she would think of something.

Carol watched Lizzie Jane. She seemed very nervous at times, but still managed to serve up tantalizing dishes. Old and new customers kept coming in all afternoon and into the night. Finally, it came time to close and Carol put up the "Closed" sign and the girls waited patiently for the last customers to leave. Both were exhausted. It was clear that Sam was going to have to hire some extra help -- a lot of extra help.

On the drive home, Lizzie Jane spoke first. "Remember that man who asked to see me?"

Carol nodded her head.

"Well, I have just about decided that he was checking around, trying to find me and get me back into that ole orphan's home. I love you and Sam, Carol, but I may have to leave. I can't let them find me."

'Oh, no', thought Carol. Lizzie Jane may not be from an orphan's home. Surely her Aunt Maudie is still alive, so she may have a real home. She had to think of something -- but what?

"Oh, Lizzie Jane," she said with tears coming in her eyes. "You can't leave. We are sisters. Remember? I love you and Sam loves you, too."

"But, I have to. That man will report back to the home and they will come and get me. I just know they will."

"Let me talk to Sam first. He may know what to do." Carol thought it was best not to keep her meeting with Sam a secret. If Lizzie Jane had thought that Sam might think of a solution, she might stay awhile longer. A few more days, at least. "Please let me talk to Sam first."

Lizzie Jane just stared out the car window. Should she wait and risk getting caught? Or should she leave without telling anyone where she was going? What if Sam had a logical answer. Men are known to be logical.

"Please answer me," Carol cried.

Lizzie Jane did not know how to answer. She did not know what to say. Did she need to go on the run again? Maybe she was only 13 years old. She really loved Sam and Carol, but she did not want to go to an orphan's home.

What should she do??

-
-
-
To Be Continued
-
-
Copyright 2008 by Starla Anne Lowry
Under the pen name of Billie Sue Pilgrim
-
-

"Just Like Home" Restaurant is ficticious and not intended to protray an actual place at or near the location indicated. I had used another name originally, but discovered that there was a chain of restaurants with the name I had chosen, so the restaurant name has been changed from the original.
-
-

up
41 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh My Billie Sue, Lizzie Jane Is In A Pickle

I now wonder what our heroine will do now that she is afraid of being outed. i don't know when you will bring this book to an end, but you have proven that you are indeed a most capable word-smith on par with many of the authors here at Big Closet.
Lizzie Jane has been one of my favorite characters of all time. Her sweet, gentle wisdom and spirit have made her immortal here and reading about places in the South brings it closer to home for me as I am a Southern Boy myself.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Oh My Billie Sue, Lizzie Jane Is In A Pickle

I don't know when I will bring the story to an end, either. The name, "Young Love", opens the door for romance and probably more than one or two.

With few exceptions (such as the restaurant mentioned), most of the places mentioned actually exist. Yes, there is a Rising Fawn, Georgia, and it is not far from the state lines of Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee. When I mentioned seeing seven states from a mountain, of course, I am writing about Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga, Tennessee (nice place to visit. Maybe you have been there). The Alabama state line is on top of Sand Mountain.

Carter's Bend is ficticious, though. I made it ficticious because of the ignorant sheriff and judge at the beginning of the Lizzie Jane series. I did not think any Alabama town would want to be labeled as having such stupid officials.

Good comment. I appreciate it.

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue

sadness

this story is making me sad. i reluctantly read this after how sad the previous chapters were.
she lost her family and is afraid of them despite there not being any reason to and her fiance is left behind.
she has some hope but not much since she somehow thinks the home she left was a cruel orphans home. where did she get that conclusion? its so heartbreaking.

sadness in "Young Love"

I didn't intend to make the stories too sad. Remember, she was very happy until Doc Brown popped up.

She thinks she came from an orphan's home because Sam suggested that could have been what she was running from. It sounded reasonable to Lizzie Jane, so she adopted that thought.

Maybe, she fainted and lost her memory because she was not ready to marry Jake? Just before she passed out, she had accepted his proposal, but remember, she had not experienced other dates or love from anyone else. She was close to Jake because he was the brother of her best friend. Was her connection to Jake love or was it friendship? Maybe her mind told her to hold off for awhile and losing her memory may have been the best way.

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue

Lizzie is so sweet and you're being mean to her

Conflict is good and I suppose necessary to a story or it gets real dull. What is both sad and little bit funny is what is scaring Lizzie is mostly her own fractured, confused memories.

It is best she meet at least a few men until she knows what she wants but in the meantime her schooling has ground to a halt, though maybe it was time for her education as a girl to get some seriously overdue attention.

Maybe it's because I am a child of the sixties and seventies I see her as having amazing potential as a doctor, surgeon, teacher, mother, even a spy -- maybe all at the same time -- and though a great homestyle cook, her talent is being wasted at the moment.

Lizzie, don't run off girl, there are nastier people out there who might do worse things to you than just take you out on a date and give you drinks.

She may be tough but she needs her suporters.

Charming, funny with a touch of sadness in it.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Lizzie is so sweet and you're being mean to her

It may (or may not be) that Lizzie Jane's education is put on hold for awhile.

Just think! She has not had the life-long experience of being a young lady. Could that be the reason she was so slow in dating and telling the first guy that came along that she would marry him?

At least, Lizzie Jane is having the experience of fully enjoying life as a female should without the memory of any previous life.

After losing her memory, she once more experienced fear, but regained the assurance of protection of God (and her mother) by her more recent experience in the woods, learned caution when dealing with men, and discovered that she could take care of herself and live without dependence on her family. She renewed her religious faith, which made her stronger for awhile -- but is now experiencing moments of weakness. (To be strong, a person must know weakness.)

Right now, she is learning lessons of life -- which hopefully will make her even more stronger for the future. She knows one thing about what is to come -- that she will be a wife and mother -- and there is something else special still ahead for her.

I hope you don't think I am too mean to Lizzie Jane.
-smile-

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue

it is sad

at 13 you need your family. im not being mean to lizzy i feel bad for her, for her family and the one she was going to marry. it must be really hard on her family and the one she loved or at least accepted his proposal.
they all must be heartbroken. it wouldnt be much different if she was kidnapped. they lost their daughter

it is sad

You all are gonna make me cry. It takes sad stories sometimes to make a happy ending.

Lizzie Jane is now at a turning point. Which way will she go?

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue

Thanks for your comments about "Young Love"

Since the comments I received seem to be on the negative side (making people sad), I will try to do something in the future to change the situation.

Comments are very helpful and there need to be more to help guide the writer. (I don't write as many comments as I should, so shame on me.)

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue