Young Love, Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version

"Well, this is what I call home," stated Carol ... Lizzie Jane fell in love with it right away. "It is your home, too -- for you and Philip." teased Carol.
"Don't even mention that rich, stuck-up brat," Lizzie Jane answered sharply.
"Oh, now -- a brat is a naughty little boy," smiled Carol.
"That is exactly what he is!"

Young Love
A Lizzie Jane Adventure
Chapter 6
 
By Billie Sue Pilgrim

 

 

Young Love, Chapter 6

"Well, this is what I call home," stated Carol. It wasn't a huge house, but very neat in appearance with what appeared to be a fresh coat of white paint.

The living room was light blue, supplied with french provincial furniture and matching carpet. Lizzie Jane fell in love with it right away.

"It is your home, too -- for you and Philip." teased Carol.

"Don't even mention that rich, stuck-up brat," Lizzie Jane answered sharply.

"Oh, now -- a brat is a naughty little boy," smiled Carol.

"That is exactly what he is!"

"Let's look at your bedroom."

Lizzie Jane's bedroom was girlie -- real girlie with wallpaper of light red roses on stems with green leaves, a large canopy bed, antique-style furniture and a large closet. There was a personal bathroom with a large antique-style bathtub and vanities.

"Here is the den," proudly announced Carol as she displayed a room with very comfortable furniture. Yesterday's newspaper was scattered on the floor with a few other items -- not trashy, but evidently not the best kept room in the house. "This is the one where we will stay most of the time and mess up."

The kitchen was small, but nice and clean. Everything easy to reach with only a few steps from any one spot in the cooking area. There was a small table beyond the bar, just right for a few people to sit for private meals. A larger area was provided for special meals and guests .

"Wow!" exclaimed Lizzie Jane. "All this is yours?"

"Like I said, my grandfather left it to me in his will. I could not afford anything like this. I have a hard enough time keeping it reasonably clean," stated Carol.

"Well, I am here now, so we can divide the chores," replied Lizzie Jane.

"Mmm -- I never thought about that. We can, can't we?"

"Yep."

"I'll put some coffee on and we will relax a little. We did not purchase much, but took a lot of time at the beauty parlor and shopping," Carol stated.

Sitting at the kitchen table with coffee cups in hand, Carol explained, "This is a very nice neighborhood. There are a few married couples, but we also have our share of single girls, so a lot of boys come around. I don't know if you are ready or not, but you should think about going out, mixing with people, and meet some of the guys. You are young, good looking and I do know some cute fellows"

"Maybe I should -- meet some guys, I mean -- not anything serious, you know. That might help to keep Philip off my back. I am not ready to get serious with anyone -- especially Philip. I don't know what my reputation was before, but I want to start getting a good one. I know I believe in God and believe that I am a Christian. My mother keeps coming to me in dreams and I know she is in Heaven and I want to see her again someday."

Tears began to fill the eye of Lizzie Jane. Carol laid her hand on top of Lizzie Jane's and said, "I know it hurts. To lose your mother as young as you are."

"Yes, I don't remember much about her, but there is a warm place in my heart that causes me to think that we had a wonderful relationship. Just last night, my mother came to me and told me that everything was going to be all right. What is happening to me will make me stronger to meet problems that lie ahead. She reminded me that she had promised to be with me always and would never leave me. My mind was opened to times I was protected by divine intervention. I used to be a scared little girl, but knowing mother is there all the time and, if I were to die, I would go to be with her. That prevents me from being afraid of the future and I am not afraid of dying."

Lizzie Jane began to cry that much more, but now she had someone to cry with her -- Carol was there. In Lizzie Jane's subconscious mind, she had been a lonely girl. Even though she was sure she had friends and maybe a family, she somehow knew that she never had a sister to share her deepest feelings and now Carol was becoming the sister she never had.

With tear-filled eyes, Lizzie Jane looked up to Carol. "I love you and I want you to be my sister."

That melted Carol's heart. "Sure I will. I never had a sister, either." They embraced and two hearts bonded together that day -- the best of friends -- two sisters to share things.

************************************

Carol woke to the smell of bacon and eggs and coffee. There was other smell, too, which she could not identify. Putting on her robe, she made her usual trip to her bathroom and then padded to the kitchen.

She found Lizzie Jane, finishing up breakfast. "Good morning, sleepy head. I thought the smell of a good breakfast would open your eyes."

Carol rubbed her eyes. "Ordinarily I would just have a bowl of corn flakes or something quick like that."

"Well, I just thought it was the thing to do. I have eggs, bacon, and biscuits. I could not find any grits, so we will have to skip that this morning. Also, I was going to fry the eggs, but I did not know your preference, so I scrambled them. I always fix my eggs well-done I also ate my meat well-done because I think that would kill any bad germs."

Ah, biscuits -- That was the smell that Carol could not identify. The meal was delicious and the biscuits were the best she had ever put in her mouth. "We are going to have to tell Sam about your cooking. Betcha he would be glad to have someone to cook besides himself."

Carol reached for the last biscuit, broke it and gave half to Lizzie Jane. "I could eat a dozen more of these things," she said.

"Well, I will bake a extra dozen next time," replied Lizzie Jane.

"You mean that we ate a dozen biscuits?"

"Well, not exactly -- I ate three and a half and you devoured eight and a half," smiled Lizzie Jane.

"Well, you shouldn't be such a good cook."

"I can't help it. I love to eat."

Ding dong went the doorbell.

"I'll get it," said Carol, getting up to answer the door.

"Hey there." There were two smiling faces of a couple of girls from the neighborhood. "Thought you would be at work. Anything wrong?'

"Well, we had an attempted robbery a couple of nights ago, so Sam has closed the restaurant until Monday to give everybody a breather."

"Good," said one of the girls. Emma is having a party tonight and we are going. We thought if you were free, we might get you a date and go with us."

"Make that two dates and I will be there."

"Now, what are you going to do with two guys? One should be enough."

Carol laughed. "I have a new room-mate and we have adopted each other as sisters."

"Cool."

"Her name is Elizabeth. We call her Lizzie Jane." stated Carol. She turned toward Lizzie Jane, who was still in the kitchen and had started washing the dishes, "Hey, come here a minute and meet your neighbors."

Wiping her hands, Lizzie Jane came to the door to say hello.

"These girls have invited us to Emma's house for a party and going to get dates for us. How about it?" inquired Carol.

Lizzie Jane smiled, "I don't know -- about a blind date, that is. I might get stuck with a bald, fat grandfather."

"Aw, come on, it'll be fun," Carol begged.

"We will get you one of the best looking men in town. You will be pleased, I am sure," answered one of the girls.

"Well, okay," replied Lizzie Jane.

"Promise not to back out?"

"I promise."

"Okay, see ya at the party," one of the girls said as they left.

A mischievous grin appeared on Lizzie Jane's face. "Wonder if Philip will be there. I hope he is, so I can show him that he is not the only man on the earth. He thinks he is so smart. Why, I wouldn't date Philip for a million dollars."

**************************************

"Who should we get for Elizabeth?" asked one of the girls as they walked down the street.

"I think I know just the one. I don't think he has got a date yet and he will be perfect for her -- good looking, well educated -- in fact, he is going to be a doctor."

"Oh yeah -- I know who you are talking about. He will be perfect for a pretty girl like Elizabeth.

"Think she will like him?"

"Of course, he is the most popular guy around. Anyway, it would be very impolite to refuse a blind date."

"Yes, it would. I believe Elizabeth to be a very nice and polite young lady. Besides, she promised."

-
-
-

To be continued

-
-
Copyright 2008 by Starla Anne Lowry
under the pen name of Billie Sue Pilgrim=
-
-

up
53 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice chapter Billie Sue

your doing very well. Way beter than at start keep it gooing
Melissa C

Billie Sue, Keep The Adventure Coming

The Lizzie Jane series is one of my favorite series. She is very sweet Southern Belle. You have taken her far beyond the innocent waif and turned her into a caring woman. Where ever you take her, it will be an adventure that we all will enjoy.
May Your Light Forever Shine.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine