Young Love, Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version

The last part of this chapter is very religious, but I felt that it was necessary for the continuation of the story. Reference is made to a previous 'stand alone' story, but used only for explanation purposes. I do not intend for my stories to teach any certain kind of religious doctrine, although this chapter may seem to do that. The purpose is to supply hints about Lizzie Jane's future and what kind of husband she can expect, whoever he may be.

Young Love
A Lizzie Jane Adventure
Chapter 9
 
By Billie Sue Pilgrim

 

 

Chapter 9

Lizzie Jane woke with the sun streaming through the window. For a moment, she did not know where she was, but suddenly realized that she was in her own bed. She looked at her body and realized that she was clothed with a lacy nightgown. She sat up with a start. As she remembered the night before, she had gone to sleep on the couch with Philip rubbing her hand. Did he ---?

After her morning trip to the bathroom, she covered herself with a robe and padded toward the kitchen. The smell of bacon and eggs filled the air. Carol almost had breakfast cooked -- again. That was beginning to be a habit -- for Lizzie Jane to arrive for breakfast just as Carol was finishing up the cooking.

"What's wrong?" asked Carol as she noticed Lizzie Jane sitting at the table with a worried frown on her face.

"When Philip brought me home, I went to sleep on the couch and woke up in my bed with my nightgown on."

"Oh, that?" laughed Carol. "I put you to bed."

"You carried me to bed?"

"No, silly. I am not strong enough for that. You walked and I just led you. When you got seated on the bed, dressing you wasn't too hard. You were just too sleepy to know what was going on."

"Good. That is a relief. I just didn't want Philip to have his way with me."

"Why? Did he try something last night?"

"Well -- no. He was a perfect gentleman. We did kiss, though." Lizzie Jane smiled. "Oh yes, he did ask me to marry him."

"You didn't accept did you? He didn't get you drunk or something and caused you to talk out of your head?"

"No, of course not. Marriage is very serious." Lizzie Jane paused for a moment and asked, "How old do you really think I might be?"

"Truthfully, I am pushing it a little to say you might be 16. I did that because of the work laws. Sam could not let you work as much as he needs to if you were any younger. I would say that you could be around fifteen -- or maybe not that old. It is when you are dressed up and wearing makeup that you look much older.

"Wonder how old Philip is."

"He is just out of high school with plans to go to college, so he must be eighteen or nineteen -- or maybe twenty."

"Okay -- When is Sam going to open up the restaurant again?

"Monday morning at 5 o'clock. We will need to be there a little after four to get things ready for the breakfast customers. I am expecting a few because Sam has a sign on the door."

"Carol, do you go to church?" asked Lizzie Jane. "For some reason, I want to go to church Sunday."

"Not really. If you really want to go, I will go with you. The only church I ever attended was independent because that is where my folks went."

Lizzie Jane smiled, "I don't care what kind of church it is -- I want to go."

"Okay."

_________________________________________________________

The church service was pleasant. Lizzie Jane had been expecting the minister to be louder and a few more 'amens', although she did not know why. When the altar call was given, she felt a need to go forward.

The pastor took her by the hand when she arrived at the front and asked, "What is your need, my dear?"

"I have lost my memory. I don't know who I am and ---" She did not finish the sentence. Her heart seemed to burst and a flood of tears filled her eyes, running down her face. Without another word, she fell to the altar and poured out her heart to God. The pastor motioned to some ladies near the front and they surrounded her, offering prayers and whatever comfort they could provide.

The service closed with Lizzie Jane still on her knees, weeping and praying. Nothing the pastor said could get her up. The loving arms of the women who remained with Lizzie Jane covered her with concern. Suddenly she stopped praying and slid to the floor.

"She has passed out!" proclaimed one of the women.

Lizzie Jane's mother had come to her again in a dream. "I know you don't remember much about the other times I have come to you, but I want you to know God has heard your prayer. All that has happened to you has been for a purpose. He is preparing you for a life far greater than you can imagine. You may not understand it now, but you will later. Your memory will be opened for a little while so that you may undertand what I am saying."

Lizzie Jane's memory began returning about a little girl named Joyce. She was a little crippled girl who was dying in the hospital, but was afraid to die. In her childish way and not knowing what to do, Lizzie Jane had given as much help as she could in the girl's dying moments.

Lizzie Jane's memory began returning about a little girl named Joyce. She was a little crippled girl who was dying in the hospital, but was afraid to die. In her childish way and not knowing what to do, Lizzie Jane, also a patient in the hospital, had given as much help as she could in the girl's dying moments.

Seeming in some type of vision, Lizzie Jane began to see herself as a third person reviewing those events that happened around four years ago. In the ‘vision’ she saw the little girl in a wheelchair and heard her words again:

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

(The Vision) “They say I have a disease and am about to die. I am scared. I don’t want to die.”

Lizzie Jane, moved with compassion, stated, “There is a beautiful world that you will go to after dying. My mother is there and she talks to me often and tells me of that wonderful place.”

“I have been naughty. How do I know God will accept me?’ cried Joyce.

“God will forgive you for everything — every mean thing you have done or thought,” answered Lizzie Jane.

“Oh, if I could only be sure,” replied Joyce.

Lizzie Jane prayed silently, “Please, God — give me the words to say to Joyce. I don’t want to see her die in doubt. Please let me help her and know she will be in Heaven.”

Lizzie Jane turned to Joyce and said, “My momma was poor — never had much in this world, but she used to tell me about God causing a little baby to be born to a beautiful lady named Mary. This little baby was God’s little boy. I don’t understand it, either, but some mean men killed him and that somehow that caused people to get forgiveness for their sins and go to Heaven when they die. I don’t know how, but I do know that you look to Jesus. Do you want me to pray with you?”

“Oh yes,” answered Joyce. “I don’t know how to pray.”

“Well, I don’t either. I just talk to God. Anyway, let’s pray,” answered Lizzie Jane.

“God, I know you are there. My mommy has told me you were. Joyce is just a little girl and she doesn’t know how to reach you. She is scared to die. Would you look at her heart and show her how she can go to Jesus?”

A simple prayer, but Lizzie Jane was still a child, even though her body had decided to enter womanhood. Her mother has been busy working, trying to supply everyday needs, so Lizzie Jane had not attended church until she went to live with her aunt and uncle, but had been taught by her mother in an attempt to raise her as a proper child.
Little did Lizzie Jane know — death was a lot nearer than expected.

That night, Joyce was dying and the doctors knew it. She asked for Lizzie Jane. The doctors and nurses refused, but because of her insistence and the fact that she was at death’s door, they decided to grant the request.

As Lizzie Jane was wheeled into the room, Joyce pleaded, “I am dying. I know it and I am still scared. Please help me.”

“Joyce, all I know is to look to Jesus. I don’t know how, but God will make a way.”

Almost instantly, Joyce looked up as if she was staring into space at something.

“Oh, I do see a beautiful place. I see the roads. They are shiny. I can see beautiful flowers and they are making beautiful music. There are children there and a man with a beard is with them. They are so happy and he is hugging them.’

“Oh, Lizzie Jane, he is turning toward me, holding his arms out. I see kindness and love in his face. I cannot tell you how I know — I just know. What do I do?”

Lizzie Jane, with tears in her eyes, said, “That is Jesus. He is asking you to come to him. I told you God had a way for you to do that. Joyce, go toward him with your arms out. He is asking you to come. Please, Joyce. Go to him —now!”

“Oh, Lizzie Jane. I want to, but how?” Joyce closed her eyes and her body quivered and was still.

Lizzie Jane prayed, “God, did she make it? Did she go to Jesus?”

To the astonishment of everyone in the room, Lizzie Jane looked in the direction Joyce had been facing.

“I see Joyce. She is not in a wheelchair. She is walking — no, she is running–she is running into the arms of Jesus. I see him lifting her up in his arms and hugging her. He is reaching toward a tree and got what looks like a pear — and gives it to her.’

“Oh, it is such a beautiful place. Jesus is standing by a river and the water is so clear, I can see the fish. The children are laughing and playing. I can see Joyce. Her face is shining and she is so happy. The flowers are singing, just like she said, and they are so pretty. I am so happy, too. Joyce ran to the arms of Jesus, just like momma always told me to do’.

“Listen — Jesus is speaking to me.”

A strong, yet soft and sweet voice spoke from the vision:
“Children can come unto me freely for such is the Kingdom of Heaven. I have given her fruit of the Tree of Life and she will live forever in the glory of the Father. She will never suffer fear anymore and she will never be in a wheelchair again. I heard your prayer and opened my arms to Joyce and she ran into them. You did well, my dear, in showing her in your own way how to come unto me.’

May you be blessed, Lizzie Jane. You are to become a spokesperson for me. That is your mission in life. By your everyday life, you will be a witness to me and the glory I have prepared for you and others you will reach” (End of Vision)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As Lizzie Jane began to regain consciousness, she could hear her deceased mother talking to her: "Don't be confused about love. Just let everything develop. In the life that God has prepared for you, he is also preparing a husband. In time, you will discover who he is."
As she slowly came to her senses, Lizzie Jane began to hear voices.

"She is coming to."

"Wonder what she saw."

"Maybe it was just a blessed event."

Slowly, Lizzie Jane opened her eyes. There were beautiful women all around her -- from 85 years old to one little girl ten years old. She noticed they were all smiling.

"Is everything okay?" asked one of the women.

"Yes, everything is wonderful," replied Lizzie Jane.
-
-

To be continued
-
-
-
Copyight by Starla Anne Lowry
Under the pen name of Billie Sue Pilgrim
-
-

up
50 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very Sweet Billie Sue

This chapter has me crying for Lizzie Jane. The religion in this story did not overwhelm the story at all. What was sweet was seeing her Mom come to her and once again comfort her daughter. Now Lizzie Jane is ready for whatever comes her way.
Billie Sue, please don't worry about the religious overtones in the story. Lizzie Jane is a sweet, innocent Christian woman. Please do not change her to please anybody.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

It fits here

The religious facets fit well in this chapter.

As the flashback to the scene with the dying child shows, Lizzie by simply being herself, living her life she will spread her faith. It matters not who or what she becomes be it housewife, doctor, surgeon, cop, salesperson, world adventurer --you know, with business cards with a chess knight logo and the words, 'Have bow, will travel'?

Given her drive, even though it is the mid 1950s, I can see her as a pedatrician or specalist in oncology or some such position, medical or not, where she can heal and console the living and the dying. But with a big family, mostly girls, all pretty tomboys. Her husband will be exhausted I suspect.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

What a beautiful vision!

Sasha Hi Billie Sue,
You blessed my soul with this chapter. What a very beautiful vision!
Keep writing sister!


All my hopes,
Sasha Nexus

"That's the thing about faith... if you don't have it, you can't understand it and If you do, no explanation is necessary."

  • Star Trek Deep Space 9 "Accession"
  • All my hopes
    Sasha Zarya Nexus

    the god of love

    laika's picture

    Well well! If that's you're take on religion (which you had trepidation about in yer concurrent blog), then hallelujah! Brought a tear or fifteen to the eye of this old quasi-agnostic Buddhist/Taoist ........ And just from a storytelling perspective, it all fits the character & her situation, you could hardly have it be anything else. Please do continue this series, or if you ever do hang it up, try to give us a three page epilogue
    carrying Lizzie Jane into her adult years.
    ~~~huggums, LAIKA

    Thank you all

    One thing I don't want to do is to promote a certain religion and that is the reason I was so fearful. I thank you all so much for your sweet comments. It makes an old lady like me feel better (66 years old.)

    Love,
    Billie Sue Pilgrim

    Billie Sue