Young Love, Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

"Hon, the fact that you are so anxious may indicate that have never been on a real date. You may have been out with friends and may have received a kiss from a boy that you cared for very much, but dating a strange man that you don't know is a new and exciting experience. You have got to date and play the field if you ever expect to get married and have a happy home life."

Young Love
A Lizzie Jane Adventure
Chapter 7
 
By Billie Sue Pilgrim

 

 

Young Love, Chapter 7

Lizzie Jane was having a problem making up her mind. She stood in one spot looking in her closet, trying to decide which new dress she wanted to wear to the party.

Not having anything but the clothes on her back when she arrived at Sam's restaurant, she had purchased three new dresses with the help of Carol, so she did not have much of a choice. However, like the average girl, making a choice between three dresses seemed like a huge decision. She had to look right for her date -- whoever he may be.

Lizzie Jane was very happy since Sam had given her a regular job and Carol offered to share her home with her. Also, she was not as lonely after unofficially being adopted as Carol's sister. That simple act caused her to feel wanted and loved, In addition, she had been invited to her first party and a blind date had been promised.

She tried to remember -- had she ever been on a date before? What was that in the back of her name about Sam and the name being connected to a restaurant? Had she been there on a date?

Finally, she decided on the red dress. When trying it on at the store, Carol had said, "Red is your color." Knowing very little about selecting store-bought clothes, Lizzie Jane did not know that girls had certain colors that made them look better.

One the things she did remember was that she had been taught to make all her clothes, mostly from flour sacks or material purchased at the general store. She had also learned to visualize the style she wanted without using Simplicity patterns. Although Lizzie Jane was unaware of it, she could have started a business designing and selling women's fashions.

Little by little memories were returning. The worse part about her amnesia were that she was still having problems remembering people and names. She wondered about what kind of person she had been.

Oh well, hopefully she did not have a criminal record, having been an assassin or something like that. What caused her to think of that was her abilities to save a couple of lives.

Settling on the dress, she turned her thoughts to her blind date. The neighborhood girls had promised to find one of the most popular, handsome men in the area for her. Lizzie Jane hoped that he would find her pleasant and attractive.

Carol appeared at the door. "How is my new sister today?"

"I am so happy. I can't wait for tonight. How do you think this dress will look?" replied Lizzie Jane.

"It looks great. Just what I would have suggested."

"I am so nervous. I don't remember ever being on a date. What am I supposed to do -- how am I supposed to act?" questioned Lizzie Jane.

"Girls act differently. It would help if you remembered how old you are. We selected sixteen because you look like you could be sixteen. You could be older or younger."

"How does a sixteen year old act?"

"Like all other women -- except more more 'girlish'. The man likes to think he is in charge. We have our ways of getting what we want and that is by being sweet and appearing to be completely dependent on the guy. If you are smarter than your man, don't show it. If he wants to kiss, do it -- but do not go any further. You are still a minor -- or I think you are."

"So you think I am sixteen?"

"Honey, you have the looks of a sixteen year old and the mind of someone a lot more mature. Just act natural. It will all come to you, Just keep in mind your body sometimes wants to go further than you should, so keep your guard up," smiled Carol. "If you care for a guy, it is easy to give in to your feminine desires."

"A more mature mind?" question Lizzie Jane.

"Yes, I have noticed you at the restaurant. You present yourself as being somewhere in the twenties, but you look younger. Just remember-- do not let a man take advantage of you. With a pretty girl, a man only has one thing in mind."

"What's that?"

Carol smiled. "You will learn."

"I am sorry to be so stupid when it come to men," confessed Lizzie Jane.

"Hon, the fact that you are so anxious may indicate that have never been on a real date. You may have been out with friends and may have received a kiss from a boy that you cared for very much, but dating a strange man that you don't know is a new and exciting experience. You have got to date and play the field if you ever expect to get married and have a happy home life."

"Suppose I don't like this guy that I am with tonight?"

"Just be nice and, if he asks for another date -- just turn him down gently. Don't be rude and be the sweet girl that you are. For tonight, act like he is the only man in the world. Do not ruin his night and yours. Just keep in mind that, if he wants a kiss, you don't have to give it to him. He could be a tobacco chewing jerk, but I don't think our neighborhood girls would select a jerk for you. Whatever your decision, let him off easy."

"Will you help me get ready?" requested Lizzie Jane.

"Certainly. Sit down and I will fix your hair and help with your makeup."

Carol ran her fingers through Lizzie Jane's hair. "Looks like we are going to have to make a trip to the beauty shop before another date comes along. Your hair is a mess - split ends and everything." Grabbing a pair of scissors and a brush, she continued, "But, for now, I will do what I can."

Lizzie Jane received a shampoo, followed by a very feminine hair style, using a curling iron. Next came the makeup and, by the time Carol was finished, Lizzie Jane indeed looked like a girl in her mid-20s.

Completing the magic touch, Carol donated some pantyhose and a pearl necklace with matching clip-on earrings. "Ouch, those hurt," complained Lizzie Jane.

"Well, those ears have got to be pierced," answered Carol. "More and more girls are getting that done. Clip-on earrings will be out of style in a few years."

Carol also donated some lacy panties, a nylon slip and a size B bra that she had worn in her younger days and had not thrown away. The dress and a pair of red shoes with medium heels finished the look and Lizzie Jane saw herself in the mirror. She looked fabulous. The shoes that was borrowed from Carol was a little small, but okay.

Carol had to hurry to get ready. The time for their dates to arrive was drawing nearer. She wore a blue dress with matching shoes, but did not look as good as Lizzie Jane. "Well," she thought. "Some girls have it and some don't." No need to hurry too much. She always had a habit of being late.

Finally, after much anticipation, there was knock at the door. Lizzie Jane was still in her bedroom, so Carol answered it. Two men and the neighborhood girls were standing there.

"Carol, this is Jerry. He is your date," said one of the girls. "The other one is..."

"I know," Carol said cutting off the girl's sentence. "He is Elizabeth's date. I will go get her. "

Carol entered Lizzie Jane's bedroom and said, "Our dates are here. Remember your promise to accept whoever the girls came up with."

"Oh, he isn't good looking?" questioned a seemingly disappointed Lizzie Jane.

"Oh, he is very handsome, but before you meet him, there is one thing you need to know."

"Oh, what could it possible be?"

"Well, the girls did not know that that there was one guy that you did not like and had no desire to date," stated Carol. She paused a moment and continued, "So, the bad news is that your date is Philip."

-
-
--To be continued
-
-
Copyright by Starla Anne Lowry
under the pen name of Billie Sue Pilgrim

up
46 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Shame on you

For stopping there. Eagerly awaiting more.
*smiles
Hugs, Fran

Hugs, Fran

Shame on you

Well, doesn't the writer want the reader to desire the next chapter? In the old Superman movie serials I saw as a youngster, I knew that Superman was going to save Lois Lane, but always wanted to make sure.

*grin
Billie Sue

Billie Sue