Ilos Part 7 <old>

Printer-friendly version

I didn't think I'd finish this by the weekend, but I did! Unfortunately I don't think that will be the case next week (I've got lots of school to do), but if I get enough done during study breaks... Well we'll see. Anyway, thank you again to those who comment, it always leaves a smile on my face to see your thoughts :)

NOTE THAT THIS IS THE OLD VERSION, WHICH I AM KEEPING ON HERE TO SAVE THE COMMENTS (and I don't know how to delete it -.-).

THE EDITED VERSION IS POSTED AND THIS OLD VERSION CONTAINS NOTHING NEW TO THE STORY.

-Tas

 

 

 

Part 7

 

 

Chapter 3: Ilos, Day 4

Nick- Finn, it’s Finn here- Finn blinked his eyes and looked around, taking in the Council Chamber and the large number of NPCs looking at him. The Regent was sitting in his miniature throne just like he was the last time Finn had been in Ilos, but the table had been cleared away and it seemed he was holding some sort of audience with a lot of well-dressed people.

“Ah- sorry, I’m obviously interrupting something here. When you have a few minutes Regent, I would like to speak with you. I’ll be outside.”

He hurriedly walked towards the doors of the chamber under the eyes of the NPCs, but he still heard the whispers of those who watched him as he passed.

“Did you see that?”

“How did he do that? I have never heard of a teleport spell that looks like that.”

“Invisibility maybe?”

“No, they have wards up for that.”

“I will bet he is one of those champions.”

“A champion! I have never seen one so close before!”

“He does not look that differ-“

From the first person to utter it, the word ‘champion’ spread through the assembled people like wildfire, igniting murmurs that rapidly grew in intensity until he closed the Council Chamber’s door behind him. “What have I gotten myself into?”

It had only taken a day before Jess went back to Ilos with him standing guard over her body, but this was the first time she had felt safe enough to let him come too.

Intent on contacting Jess, he uttered the basic word of power for the Spirit element, one of its uses being telepathy with someone you had already met. “Su.

*Je- Ahh, Lassea, can you hear me?* He thought, focused on sending the words to his friend. *Imagine yourself ‘thinking’ the words to me.*

*Like this?*

*You got it. I’m outside the Council Chamber inside the Palace. Do you know where that is?*

*I know where the Palace is, but I haven’t been inside yet.*

*Okay, I’ll meet you at the Palace gates, and we can book it back here. The Regent is the one to ask about the Bell of Recall, and he’s holding some kind of audience in the Chamber. Something I interrupted when I logged in.*

*Ha, I’ll bet they all stared at you like you were some sort of alien until you left and made comments on how you managed to randomly appear.*

*How did you-?*

*How did I know? Because that’s what I would have done in their place.*

Finn shook his head, marveling at his friend’s ability to understand the NPCs, and started running for the Palace entrance. And why not? He didn’t feel any fatigue, and there was no muscle soreness to worry about. He even sort of understood why David loved that freerunning of his so much, it was kind of freeing to move that fast under your own power.

He met Jes- Lassea at the gates and led her back into the palace. She had a small flame, no bigger than that of a small lighter, burning softly near her head. Said she liked seeing it, sort of like a reminder, though she didn’t elaborate on what it reminded her of, he had a pretty good guess.

After the eighth or ninth turn she shook her head. “How do you keep this straight? I got lost two or three turns ago.”

“Do you remember how obsessed I was with this game? I memorized the layout of every place the beta testers mapped out, including the Palace. You should have let me come earlier; I know everything there is to know about this city.”

“I know, I know, but I just felt so much safer knowing that you were there with me.”

When they reached the Council Chamber, they were met by a tall guardswoman with bark brown hair in a ponytail, forest-green eyes, and a sword and shield on her back. It took Nic- Finn a second to remember her, that commander of the Capital Guard he had met the last time he was here.

“Greetings champions.” She said, inclining her head. “Finn, were you going to ask the Regent about the Bell of Recall?”

“Who is this?” Jess – argh – Lassea asked, peering at the woman’s decorated armor.

“This is… ah…” Finn trailed off realizing he didn’t remember her name.

The woman in question grinned. “I am Lorilee Avenia, a Commander of the Capital Guard. And you are…?”

“Lassea.” She bowed. “Avendavida. An honor to meet a member of the Capital Guard, much less a Commander. You must be an incredible woman to have achieved so much.”

Lorilee smiled, bowing back. “Avendavida. It is a pleasure to meet a champion who observes basic social graces, though your friend here was not so bad as most.”

Lassea smirked. “I like to think I raised him right.”

The other woman laughed, and Finn rolled his eyes. “To answer your earlier question, yes, I was going wait till his audience or meeting or whatever was done and then ask him about it.”

“Well, you’d be in for the long haul then, they’ve been in there for two days with no signs of coming out, and the only people they let in are the servants bearing food and drink. All the nobles that have holdings in the city are gathered in that room, and are trying to decide what to do with all you champions wandering about everywhere. Has them in quite the tizzy, they have no idea how to deal with you.”

“So that’s why they were all so fancily dressed…”

“You went in there?!”

“No, that’s just where I was when I logged back in.”

She blinked. “Where you what?”

Lassea stepped in. “I’d be happy to explain it to you later Commander-“

The guardswoman held up a hand. “Just Lorilee please, I get called Commander enough around here without you doing it too.”

Lassea smiled. “I’d be happy to answer any questions you have Lorilee, but we were looking for information on the Bell of Recall, and it is somewhat urgent.”

“Ah. Well we did not actually find anything. From all reports the Call to Arms was rung on its own. One of my men was guarding the area, and he swears on his family that there was no one operating the Bell when it started moving.”

“Oh.”

“I am sorry I could not be the bearer of better news.”

“It’s alright Lorilee; at least it’s a subject we know to not spend more time investigating. Thank you for your help.”

“You are most welcome Lassea.” She turned to look at Finn. “Now what was that phase you used? ‘Logged in’? I have a lot of questions if you can spare the time.”

Finn glanced at his friend, who shrugged, a little dejected. They didn’t know what else to look into to find more information on David’s disappearance – Please God don’t let him be actually dead –, so chatting with the guardswoman could be a good a choice as any to learn more. “Well, why not? We don’t have anything else to go on for now and maybe you can answer some of our questions as well. Do you have someplace we can go? This isn’t exactly the best place to have a chat.”

“We can go to the Wheel and Locket, the innkeeper is a friend of mine and she has a private room she often lets me use. Is that agreeable?”

The two friends glanced at each other, and Lassea nodded. “Lead on.”

They followed Lorilee out of the Palace using a slightly different combination of hallways than before, and at a much slower pace. It seemed that while players did not suffer from fatigue, the natives still did. Or else she’s just being polite. Finn speculated.

Lorilee looked over her shoulder at them. “So do the two of you know each other well? It certainly seems so.”

“Yes, we’ve been together a long time.” Lassea answered.

“You are lovers then?”

Finn tripped over his own heel, stumbling forwards a few steps before he caught his balance again, and Lassea stopped dead before laughing. “No no, we certainly aren’t lovers.” She said, starting forwards again.

Lorilee flushed, turning her head to look forwards again. “I apologize. With the way you seemed to communicate by glances and how you replied, I simply assumed…”

“No, it’s alright; I should have chosen my words better. We’re just really close friends, almost family.”

Finn glanced at Lassea, harboring a slight regret that their relationship wasn’t anything more. He had had a crush on his friend for years, though he was much better at hiding it that David was. Honestly he thought it would be odd for a guy not to have a crush on her. She was kind, honest, friendly, considerate, and beautiful, the kind of girlfriend any guy should want. However, she never gave any indication of interest towards him, and so he never made any sort of move on the subject.

They arrived at the Wheel and Locket, a three story inn close to the Palace, but out of view of the plaza. The sign hanging over the entrance showed a wagon wheel with the necklace of a locket strewn through the spokes. Lorilee lead them through the door without hesitation, raising a hand in greeting. “Hey Vivika!”

A young redheaded woman behind the bar turned to look, and a smile blossomed on her face as she moved around the wood and towards them. Nick estimated her to be about 5’8” and in her late teens, much too young to be running her own inn. However, the patrons in the common room only glanced at the newcomers before returning to their business, so it seemed she had some place here.

“Lorilee! I have not seen you in a few days, how have you been?” The girl stopped, seeming to notice the two champions for the first time. “Oh sorry, where are my manners? I am Vivika Ponri, the owner of the Wheel and Locket.”

“I’m Lassea, and this is Finn. Avendavida.” Lassea said, bowing.

Nick hurriedly followed her example, making a mental note to ask his friend about how she knew all of this stuff when they logged off. “Avendavida.”

“Avendavida.” Vivika replied, returning the bow. “Please, come in and have a seat. What would you like?”

“Actually Vivika, if we could use the Key Room I have some things to discuss with them in private.” At her friend’s surprised expression, Lorilee continued. “They are champions, and have agreed to answer some questions.”

“Champions?! But they are so polite! Surely you must be mistaken?”

“Wow, we really have a bad rep around here don’t we?” Finn commented.

“A ‘rep’? I… am not familiar with that word.” Lorilee said, Vivika’s expression showing that she was in the same boat.

Lassea smiled, “Vivika, if we could impose on you, having a private room would be a much better venue for this conversation than the doorway of your inn.”

Vivika turned, and noticing they were the subject of attention of all of her patrons with the exception of what looked like some merchants bickering in a corner, flushed a pretty rose color. “Ah. Yes. Umm. Right this way.”

She led them up the stairs at the back of the common room and down a hallway before stopping at a room on the right. “I expect to be told everything before you leave Lorilee.” She said smiling, “You know I get worried when you do not come see me for a few days. Now I must get back to my inn.” She handed over a rather large key to Lorilee, and then turned and left.

The guardswoman shook her head, but had a big smile. “Oh Vivika.” She turned and opened the door with the key, gesturing towards the room. “Shall we?”

The Key Room was pretty small, holding a rectangular table, six chairs, an unlit fireplace, and little else. They each took a chair, Lorilee at one side of the table with Finn and Lassea sitting next to each other across from her.

Before anyone could say anything, there was a knock on the door, and a serving girl came in with cups and a flagon of wine, which she placed on the table before making a curtsey and leaving. Lorilee poured for everyone, and once they had all had a sip or two she started.

“There are a lot of things I do not understand about champions. Xynus sent down a message telling of your coming and that you were going to be the saviors of Ilos, but he did not mention much about you besides instructions on how to help you. He told us to send you on errands, ask you to kill things, and generally hire you to do as many things as we could. We expected you would be like us, simply more powerful, but instead you use strange words and phrases, do not observe even the simplest of manners, and are sometimes completely dismissive of us. Lassea, as the only champion I’ve heard of that is actually polite, and Finn, as her close friend, may I ask you some questions?”

Lassea opened her mouth, her agreement written on her face, but Finn beat her to the punch. “Yes, we would be willing to answer your questions, but in return we ask you answer some of ours. As much as you know of us, we know as little or less about you.”

Lorilee nodded. “Agreed. Shall we simply trade questions?”

Finn started to agree, but it was Lassea that spoke over him this time. “Please Lorilee, let’s not be so formal. Simply ask your questions and we will answer, and if we think of one to ask you then we will.”

The guardswoman smiled, relaxing a little bit. “Very well. Let me start simply, what was that word you used earlier? ‘Rep’ I think it was?”

“’Rep’ is simply a shortened version of ‘reputation’. I was observing that you have a low opinion of champions as a whole.” Finn replied.

“Ah, alright then. How about that other phrase you used earlier? ‘Logged in’ I think it was?”

“That… is a little more complicated. Well, I suppose we had better just explain where we come from and how we got to Ilos in the first place. That’s bound to answer a large portion of your questions. It started for us when our friend David got this metal headband…”

Between the two of them, Finn and Lassea explained as much as they could about the circumstances regarding their arrival in Ilos and the subsequent events, occasionally slowing when Lorilee didn’t understand a phrase or word they used. The guardswoman listened attentively, though it was obvious she was struggling with disbelief at the story. It took longer than any of them expected, and they ended up going through the entire pitcher of wine.

“… and that’s when you bumped into us, I mean, met us outside the doors to the Council Room, and of course you know the rest.” Lassea finished.

Lorilee sat back in her chair and breathed out heavily, staring at the pair of friends with wide eyes. “This is much more than I ever expected or even imagined. You are truly from another world?” They nodded. “Incredible. I would never have guessed, not in a hundred years. Let me see if I have everything right. You come from a different world, a place called Earth, and these metal headbands of yours, referred to as Keys, allow you to come here, to Ilos, a place you think is a game?”

“Essentially yes, though there is something more going on here than any of us know. I can’t think of you as an NPC anymore, and I strongly suspect that the rest of the inhabitants of Ilos are the same as you.” Finn answered. “Therefore, despite the similarities, this cannot be a game. The question is where is this? How do the Keys get us here? Why were we led to believe this place was not real in the first place?”

“I do not have the answers to any of those questions, though your story has answered many of mine. The group of champions you mentioned vanishing when the Bell of Recall was rung did not die as you may believe, they appeared in the plaza the next morning. I do not know what happened there, but a good portion of them banded together and headed towards the West Gate. By the last report from the guardsmen at that gate, they are currently training for something, killing the monsters in and near the forest as fast as they can reappear. I've met their leaders, Corvid and Tasalin, but they have never mentioned logging out as you do.”

Lassea stood at her words, leaning over the table excitedly. “Do you know if they have someone named Cariss with them?”

Lorilee shook her head. “I do not, though I can find out. Is that the name of the friend you said had vanished from your world?”

Taking her seat again, Lassea nodded. “Yes, that’s the name he uses here.”

“Do not worry; I will do what I can to find him. You have helped me greatly today, though I now have much to think about, and I will do what I can do return the favor. Besides,” The guardswoman smiled, “I like you.”

“Say Lorilee, why is that that you don’t use contractions?” Finn asked. “I’ve noticed that none of you do actually.”

Lorilee tilted her head, frowning. “I… I am not sure. I certainly understand them well enough, but I have never used them like you do. It is just custom I suppose.” She shrugged, dismissing the issue. “We have spent longer than I expected here, and I unfortunately must get back to my men and draft up a report for the Regent. I apologize that there was not time to answer some of your own questions, so we may meet again tomorrow if that is acceptable. I will very likely be able to find if your friend has joined with Corvid by then and will be able to answer some of your other questions then as well. Thank you again for your help.” Lorilee stood, then bowed.

“Oh, that’s not a problem Lorilee. I would love to meet with you again.” Lassea smiled, standing as well. “You should invite Vivika as well, it’d be good to talk with her too.”

“I will.”

“Not that you’ll have much choice after you tell her about today.” Finn snickered, making a guess about the young innkeeper.

Lorilee’s blush said he had hit the mark. “Ah. Yes. Well, I had better be off now. I will see you here tomorrow at noontime?”

The friends glanced at each other, then nodded at her together. “We’ll be there.” Lassea answered for both of them.

“Say, before I go, would you let me see you ‘log off’?”

“Umm, sure.”

They glanced at each other again, then crossed their arms over their chests and logged off.

 

 

Earth, Day 4

 

Nick sat up on the mattress he had on the floor, attempting to stop the spinning in his head. That had happened last time he had logged off too, probably something to do with going from a standing position to a prone one instantly.

“Ugh, I'm never going to get used to that.” Jess moaned from her bed, clutching her head.

“Hey, at least we learned something this time.”

“Yeah! We might actually find Brother!” She said, a huge smile painting her face. “I like Lorilee too, she seems really nice.”

Nick scrubbed a hand through his hair. “I can’t believe I ever thought of them as NPCs. How could I miss all those obvious signs? I never even thought to ask the kind of questions an NPC wouldn’t be able to respond to.”

Bang! Bang! Bang! An insistent knocking sounded.

Jess sighed. “Leave it to the media to ruin a perfectly good day. Well, I did tell them to come back today, so I’d better get changed, and as good as a friend you are…”

Nick grinned at her, then left the room, taking the couch and ignoring the continued knocking. The media could wait after what they did. With nothing else to do, he thought back to a few days ago and the big reason they went back to Ilos.

 

The night they learned David was dead, Jess cried herself to sleep with the video chat still on, and after wiping the tears from his own eyes, he had purchased a plane ticket for that night, packed his bag, and headed out. He had investments in several different companies, all of which, as he had predicted, were doing well, so he had the money to blow when things like this came up.

Within six hours he was at his friend’s door, and was met with a huge hug and more tears. He had been staying at her place ever since. They both had other friends, many of them close, but their trio was family and they had lost a brother. So they mourned. They had cleared their schedules for the week under David’s recommendation on this game, there was nothing for them to go do, and honestly they hadn’t wanted to do anything. Having each other as company was a comfort, one they sorely needed.

The police showed up the second day with questions. A lot of questions. Apparently David’s body was one of the few they had gotten to, and it had started to dissolve into colored lights within hours, vanishing entirely by that morning despite all attempts to stop it. Jess came clean about how she lied to the operator in order to get them to check the house, and while they were initially pissed about it, they - eventually - had to admit to themselves that the department near David’s apartment wouldn’t have gone with a reason like ‘he vanished in a video game and I want you to check on him’.

His friend had been reduced to tears within minutes, and it took him a half an hour to get the officers to talk to him about the game rather than grill Jess about things she didn’t know and make her feel guilty for lying. Normally he had the utmost respect for law enforcement, but it didn’t take long for him to see they were grasping at straws, wanting to believe she was lying to them. He finally yelled at them, which in hindsight was a terrible idea – he could have gotten arrested or something – but it got them to lay off Jess, so it worked out.

When the police left, the media showed up. Somehow they had gotten Jess’ address. The pair of them politely rebuffed them at the door three different times, refusing to answer any of their questions, so they camped on the front lawn and yelled for hours – hours – before Jess finally opened the door a fourth time and stood there in silence until they had everything trained on her. Hair a mess, with tears streaming down her face, in front of about a hundred men and women, all with cameras and microphones, and most reporting live now that it looked like they were going to get something, she screamed at them with a tone he never wanted to hear again. It was filled with this soul crushing grief and an anger he had never suspected she kept hidden. An anger that exposed a secret.

“My brother is DEAD.

The crowd of media collectively started back in shock at the emotion in her voice, and for the first time in several hours, shut the hell up.

“You would come here, to MY HOME, and sit on my FRONT LAWN? It hasn’t even been a DAY! I’ve opened my door THREE TIMES to you people, and told you to come back in two days to ask your questions. But you still stand here, shouting at my house! Are you even HUMAN?! Because if you are, I can’t see it! All I see are a bunch of pathetic RATS willing to do anything it takes to get a little piece of MY BROTHER’S CORPSE. NOW YOU INSIPID, SANCTIMONIOUS, BLIGHTED, PATHETIC EXCUSES FOR HUMAN BEINGS BETTER GET THE FUCK OFF MY LAWN BEFORE I BURN YOU ALL TO HELL!!

With that she turned, walked back into the house, and slammed the door with a resounding BANG. She stalked past where Nick was standing in mild shock, muttering darkly to herself about burning all of them alive. “I just… just… FAS!”

And before her, burning brightly in the dimness of the dusk, appeared a ball of flame the size of a human head.

“Holy shit!”

up
199 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Holy shit!" Indeed!

Now this has taken an interesting twist! Umm. Great chapter.

David's dead or at least disappeared from Earth; Jess is devastated eluding to ? for David; and we know Nick has feelings for Jess...

Sigh. I will just have to wait. : )

So magic learnt...

So magic learnt in Ilos can be used for real in Earth? Curiouser and curiouser...

Thanks for the great story! I'm very interested to see where you go with this. :-)

cliffhanger

don't make me wait too long!

DogSig.png

Sort of get...

Sort of get the feeling that David would have a better chance with Jess now.

Oh that's kewell!!!

So they CAN use their in game skills on Earth now! That's freaking awesome :D

Also I know it'll be a LONG time in coming but i cant wait for their confrontation with their brother's new form. Or if they get sucked in and given new forms as well :D

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Wasn't Expecting That...

…though I suppose between David's real body dissolving into colored lights and the Keys not coming off, we'd already been given a clue that the magic extended to Earth, at least for people who'd been to Ilos.

I'm wondering what it means that Nick/Finn ported directly to the council chamber, presumably the only Champion to do so since the people there found it so surprising. True, he'd have been one of the few Black Keys to have been in there before, since very few of them would have memorized the route within the palace before the game began or worked it out on their own afterward. But I'd have guessed that many of the 990,000 have been commuting between Earth and Ilos, especially since they can't get the Keys off. And for those who believed that their adventure had gone off track, the only way I can think of that they could demand an explanation (unless Xylos is making periodic announcements) would be to try to storm the palace -- I'd have expected it to be under siege if not under attack. But we don't even know how many are in the square: is that why Lorilee took an alternate route out of the building, or was her exit simply closer to the inn? (And if there are thousands milling around town, how come none of them were at the inn?)

There's still the question, I suppose, as to whether there's a virtual Ilos for the 990,000 and if so whether Finn and Lassea have been "promoted" to the real one. (Clue, perhaps: there don't seem to be two different Lorilees; the one in this scene knows that Finn has met her before.) Based on what Lorilee said, it seems odd that the Silvers and the Blacks didn't encounter each other during the two or three days before the palace/inn scenes on day 4; we were told, in effect, that many or most of the Black Keys hadn't even left the city yet when the bell rang. (Nick and Jess logged out because they saw what happened to David. But those who didn't see players that they knew disappear probably wouldn't have logged out right away on their own; they'd have considered the bell and shockwave part of the "adventure" and hung around to see what happened next. For all they knew those who disappeared/died could have been NPCs, and if they left they might miss an important announcement or vital piece of information.)

But the Black Keys weren't in evidence when David's group was reconvened at the square, and it doesn't appear as though they're part of the "army" training outside of town. Finn hasn't been back to the square this time around, since he materialized inside the castle and left with Lorilee through a different exit. And we don't know whether Nick would have recognized a difference in the floor of the square as David did, if there had been one between his first entry into Ilos, his in-game return there after Cariss's apparent demise, and his return login(s) from Earth.

On a less immediate note, there's the question of Ilos being ruled by a regent. Is there a monarch up on the Islands, or is the throne vacant? One reason I wonder is because of Aria's nameless companion; after all, the hereditary human ruler of Tolkien's Middle Earth is working as a ranger when Frodo's story begins.

I guess that's enough for now. Hope you'll keep these coming.

Eric

One of the best

types of this story that I've read! You've done a great job and I'm looking forward to more.
hugs
Grover

predictions

So I figure Jess is most likely a lesbian since if I read right she's not into dating guys. Nick and Jess will probably hear rumors of this one fairly tall fellow and a girl running off ahead of everyone else. Nick's game research would allow him to predict their path (to a degree) and the rumor mill amongst the 'npcs' would leave a fairly easy bread crumb trail for them to (at a slower pace or along with that large group) follow after them.

Since Aria and Nameless took off so quickly, they wouldn't have heard if anyone else had massive/unusual changes. I get the feeling that the beta was a copy in spacetime, the 'Silvers' have been transported completly to Ilos, and the second stringers have a live link with avatars or something. David may have been choosen as a champion since it sounds like he progressed furthest in the beta, as well as treating the Ilosians well, or if there were higher 'level' players, they just haven't been mentioned yet. I would also guess that the head sets are magical and either act as a link to draw power from Ilos or the magic already exists on earth and while Ilos is probably in a different dimension the knowledge and belief in magic is the key to using it on earth.

I love transfiction and adore Sword Art Online, their baby is squeetastic. ^_^

MCB

Unfortunately...

Tas's picture

Unfortunately, I won't be posting another part this weekend. Finals are this coming week and I've been too busy studying to get more than half of it done. I might post sometime during the week, but definitely next weekend if that doesn't happen.

-Tas

Very Interesting Twist

So the skills and powers are starting to cross over?! Wow, a very interesting twist!