Alex in Wonderland - 14

Printer-friendly version
Alex always wanted to be a girl.
He gets his wish when he wakes up on an alien world.
Alex in Wonderland
Chapter 14
Celebration

By
Amethyst
~And you just can’t resist a good loophole can you?~ I retorted dryly.

 
Author's Note: Here's chapter 14 of Alex in Wonderland. It's been a while and it's good to be back in the saddle. Things might be a bit slow for the next few weeks because my computer is still acting glitchy despite the new hard drive and I am working on a project for Nanowrimo, but I will post nw story chapters as I finish them. Thank you as always to all my readers for the comments, kudos, and thinking that my work is worth reading. Also thanks to the Big Closet team who work tirelessly to give us all a wonderfully supportive venue to read and post TG fiction ~Amethyst.
 


 
Chapter 14: Celebration

Jezz and I stepped toward one another and each placed the silver choker around the other’s throat. Once they were in place the spell imbedded in them caused the choker’s to seal shut around our throats where they would stay for the rest of our lives. Each choker had a small emerald set in it, and should we choose to add others to our union a new stone would be added for each person. As the chokers sealed shut and we kissed the applause in the square became deafening.

The High Priestess of Mynde stood there smiling and waited for the applause to die down to a dull roar before raising her hands for attention once more. “And now, Her Majesty would like to say a few words.”

“Thank you High Priestess Girwen,” my mother said with a smile as she stepped up to address her people. “As you all know, almost two tenths ago my daughter lost her memory. You may all wonder why I choose to bring up such an unhappy memory on such a joyous occasion, as in a sense I lost my daughter that day and there are still days that I mourn that loss. Since then I have watched as a new daughter took her place, learning all that she had lost, devoting herself to her country and her people, and becoming a better heir than I could possibly hope for, given the circumstances.”

She paused a moment to wipe a tear and collect herself before continuing. “Alexis has become a fine heir; she is strong, fair, and she works hard to overcome all obstacles placed in her path. During that time I have come to know Jezz as well, as she has been a constant, loving, and loyal companion to my daughter. I have come to care for her almost as much as I do for Alexis herself.” At that point she motioned for one of the guards to step forward. The Zenin guard was holding a small silver tiara with tiny emeralds imbedded in it and she took it with a silent nod of thanks before turning back to her people once more. “Jezz and Alexis, please step forward.”

I could feel the nervousness emanating from my new bride, and I gently squeezed her shaking hand to reassure her as we stepped forward. ~Don’t be so nervous Jezz, you only have to say six words, you’ll do just fine. You knew very well when you agreed to marry me that ceremonies like these would be required.~

~I suppose it’s not any worse than your Giftsun,~ she replied as she returned the squeeze. “Yer Majesty,” she addressed my mother as she knelt down on one knee.

My mother gave Jezz one of her reassuring smiles as she spoke again. “Do you vow before Itari, myself, and the people of Azure to stand by my daughter’s side no matter what comes? Do you vow to be her guiding light in the darkest of times, and to show the same love and devotion to this land, and it’s people, that she herself has? Do you vow to be not only her bride, but also her Consort?”

“I do so vow Yer Majesty,” she answered firmly.

The Queen placed the tiara on her head and gently said, “Then please rise.” She turned back to the people in the square below and opened her arms wide. “I give you Princess Alexis Misalet and her rightful Consort, Princess Jezz Misalet!” There was applause then as, not only the crowd, but the land itself rumbled in approval.

We were then escorted down the spiral staircase and into market square as Lannah followed behind, still bearing the hem of my cape. The royal carriage waited for us and the three of us made our way toward it, through the crowd of well-wishers who threw salt at our feet. The salt was apparently to protect the path of our future together from evil. If the married couple got salt in their shoes it was considered a good omen.

I had expected the carriage to be pulled by machuls or white horses or something, but when we got to the carriage I was in for a surprise. Michelle stood there in some sort of improvised harness with the carriage hooked up to it. Behind the carriage stood Grayle, and Jezz and I both stopped for a moment to stare at them. ~What in the world?~ I thought as I stared at the two Drakans and the carriage.

~Majestic way to travel in a parade isn’t it?~ Michelle replied. ~It was your mom’s idea, she thought it would be nice for us to be involved, and nobody will try anything funny with a Drakan pulling the carriage and another one guarding your rear, even if we aren’t fully grown.~ Then she gave an exaggerated mental sigh, though I could tell she was preening from all the attention she was getting. ~The things I do for you Alex.~

I laughed as Jezz and I climbed into the carriage and Lannah joined us. ~You know you’re enjoying yourself Michelle so shut up, look majestic, and let’s get this underway.~

=^..^=

The post wedding parade was mercifully short and soon we arrived at the lakeside park where the union feast would be taking place. We had considered holding the feast in the palace, but it was the height of summer and the Wind Walkers had assured us that the weather would be perfect. This would allow Jezz and me to celebrate with, not only our guests, but with all the people of Azure who had come to the capital to celebrate our union.

Tables and benches had already been set up for the nobility, and the royal cooks were beginning to roast Liddecks and Luarn on the cooking fires that had been built. There were also booths set up by local entrepreneurs selling baked goods, cold drinks, foodstuffs, and souvenirs to honor the day. Between that, the various games, and Drakan pairs offering rides to those who wanted to experience flying, the whole celebration had a developed a carnival atmosphere. I couldn’t help but smile as I took it all in. There might be war in our future, but for now everyone had managed to put that out of their minds and seize the day.

I was sitting at the head table with Jezz and Lannah, as Jonth, Irric, and Rozia stood guard behind us and our Drakan’s played and generally showed off for the crowds of people. We were watching Chrissy and Pounce playing together nearby. The pair had managed to gather a large crowd of children who watched the pair raptly as they played, giggling at their antics. I sighed contentedly as I leaned back in my chair. “Mmmm, It is so great to be able to relax and enjoy a good party, and everyone else seems to be enjoying it too. There are so many nice emotions out there; it’s nice to feel that.”

“It is also nice to be able to eat something,” Lannah put in. One of the bakers had brought a platter of pastries to the table so that Lannah, Jezz and I could have something to tide us over until the feast was prepared. None of us had eaten since a very early breakfast the day before and we were all gratefully nibbling at the welcome treats.

“Ya ‘Lex, I dinna expect t' be fastin’ an’ spendin’ tha day at tha temple o’ Itari yestersun, so I only had a small breakfast. ‘Tis nice t’ have sumthin in ma stomach t' hold me ‘til tha feast.” She turned to look back at our guards, “Y’all sure ya dun wan’ sum o’ these pastries?”

Jonth just shook his head as he spoke for all three of them. “No, we all already ate a good breakfast, we’ll be fine until the feast starts at midday. And since it’s going on until midnight, we’ll have plenty of time to go off and eat when we feel the need. We’ve decided that we will not be drinking, and only one of us will eat at a time. With the festivities, and both the two of you and Their Majesties out in the open all day today, this would be a good day for the empire to try something.”

“I appreciate it guys, but really this is a celebration of our union and we’d like our friends to be able to enjoy it too,” I put in with a sigh. “Lannah? How about you? Are you going to celebrate?”

“As much as I can Alex,” she responded with a smile, “but I do have my duties as your handmaiden. I’ll be walking behind you all day bearing the hem of your cape whenever you leave the table. That works out pretty well though, it keeps me close to you and if anyone tries anything I’ll be right there. I might not have my weapon with me today, but at least I can send a telepathic shout to the others if it’s needed.”

The humming of the land entered my mind followed by my mother’s thoughts. ~It will be midday soon and time for the gift giving. Once that is done, we can begin the feast and relax for the rest of the day.~

I groaned at the thought. ~Gift giving? I hope that doesn’t mean we have to wait, while everyone in the country gives us presents.~

My mother mentally chuckled. ~No dear one, the people who wish to give you gifts will have until midnight to approach you and Jezz. This is a chance for any of the Gods who wish to bless your union and give a gift to do so before us mortals. Usually only Itari does so, but all the Gods must be given the opportunity. This is also the time for your Champions to swear their oath to you before all the Gods. A large circle has been drawn in the earth by the lake and you and Jezz must kneel side by side at the center.~

I broke the link and shared the update with the others, and then we walked together toward the lake and the large group crowded there. Jezz and I walked hand in hand, with Lannah following behind bearing the hem of my cape, while the others formed a loose triangle around us. People parted before us, clearing a path that led straight to the circle. Finally we stood before a circle of empty space about thirty feet in diameter and Jezz and I walked to the center and knelt while the others remained behind, my cape stretched to almost it’s full length as Lannah held the hem at the circle’s edge.

Surrounding the circle and facing us stood the High Priests and Priestesses for each of the major Gods, save Lharus, so eleven in total with Itari’s High Priestess Zarla in the center with five to each side of her. Zarla called out, “Which Gods bear witness to this event?” Each in turn spoke out the name of their patron God or Goddess, ending with Zarla herself speaking for Itari before looking at the scroll in her hands. “I call forth Lannah Odale!”

“I hear your call and step forward,” Lannah replied as she stepped into the circle, gathering my cape as she approached, and knelt behind me.

Zarla watched Lannah take her position before speaking again. “Lannah Odale, do you swear before all these Gods to serve as Champion to Alexis and Jezz Misalet? Do you swear your loyalty and fealty to them for the rest of your days? Do you swear to honor, defend, and serve them and Itari come what may?”

“I do so swear!” Lannah replied without hesitation.

Zarla referred again to the the scroll in her hands. “I call forth Jonth Tidare!”

“I hear your call and step forward,” Jonth spoke as he stepped into the circle and knelt behind Jezz.

“Jonth Tidare, do you swear before all these Gods to serve as Champion to Alexis and Jezz Misalet? Do you swear your loyalty and fealty to them for the rest of your days? Do you swear to honor, defend, and serve them and Itari come what may?”

“I do so swear!” Jonth answered seriously.

The next name on Zarla’s list was Irric. “I call forth Irric Pawin!”

“I hear your call and ssstep forward,” Irric said as he joined us in the circle and knelt to Lannah’s right.

Once Irric was in place Zarla asked. “Irric Pawin, do you swear before all these Gods to serve as Champion to Alexis and Jezz Misalet? Do you swear your loyalty and fealty to them for the rest of your days? Do you swear to honor, defend, and serve them and Itari come what may?”

“I do ssso ssswear!” Irric hissed.

Finally it was Rozia’s turn. “I call forth Rozia Whitemantle!”

“I hear your call and step forward,” Rozia said as she joined us in the circle and knelt to Jonth’s left.

Zarla waited once more until Rozia was in position. “Rozia Whitemantle, do you swear before all these Gods to serve as Champion to Alexis and Jezz Misalet? Do you swear your loyalty and fealty to them for the rest of your days? Do you swear to honor, defend, and serve them and Itari come what may?”

“I do so swear!” Rozia replied and I could now feel the pride, joy, and protectiveness emanating from each of our guards and it made me beam with pride of my own.

“Then in Itari’s name, before all these Gods, I name you four Champions, and guardians of the future of Azure!” Zarla’s words were met with a round of applause and she had to wait until the crowd had calmed before she spoke again. “We now offer all the Gods gathered here a chance to be the first to bestow a gift upon the Heir and her Consort. Which Gods have a gift to offer?” I could feel the shock and confusion in the crowd as Kasmin, the High Priestess of Kanae; the High Priest of Gund, the God of War; and the High Priest of Drek, the God of Misfortune all raised both hands to the heavens, but Zarla did not. Even the priestesses and priests themselves seemed a bit shocked by what was going on.

The High Priest of Gund, a massive black furred Jiquar in the red robes of his calling spoke first, his voice a deep, booming bass. “Gund bestows a gift in Itari’s place.” The murmuring of the crowd increased in both volume and intensity at the proclamation. When it had died down a bit the Priest said, “Gund grants the gift of physical prowess.”

The High Priest of Drek, a pale human with black hair and dark eyes and wearing black and orange robes spoke next in a chilling voice that sent cold shivers down my spine. “Drek bestows a gift in place of Selune.” Again the crowd was hushed, but the priest’s next words caused a collective gasp. “Drek grants you each the gift of a single smile. Use them when your circumstances are most dire.” The priest stepped forward and handed both me and Jezz a single silver coin with a smiling face on it.

Drek is actually the God of Luck, but centuries ago He became mostly known for bad luck, which is why His name has become widely used as a curse word. It was once said that when Drek smiles on you, misfortune befalls your enemies, but He stopped smiling when Selune, the woman He loved, wed Lharus and was betrayed by Him. Having Him grant the gift of a smile was rare enough, but Him giving such a gift in place of Selune was going to be the talk of the town, and probably the whole country, for quite some time.

Finally Kasmin spoke in a soft matronly voice, “Kanae grants you and your Champions the gift of vitality.”

I felt a slight energy rush, but it didn’t seem to be anything major other than the pale lavender glow that surrounded us. I shrugged and squeezed Jezz’s hand as I thought at her, ~Well that was anti-climactic, after those first two gifts I was expecting something bigger.~ My attention was diverted from her reply though as another collective gasp sounded from the direction of where Michelle, Grayle, and the other Drakans were watching the gift giving. The same lavender glow surrounded each of our six Drakans, and it looked like they were getting a little more than an energy boost. ~Is it just me or are they…~

~They’re getting bigger,~ Jezz agreed, her mind full of shock and awe. ~Definitely getting bigger.~ As we watched, all six Drakans continued to grow and shed their skins rapidly, until each of them was the size of a fully grown Drakan of their type.

=^..^=

Michelle watched the gift giving ceremony from the lake with Grayle and the other Drakans. It was moving to see each of Alex’s four protectors step forward and take their oaths, and she tried to watch patiently through the gift giving itself. The once-human Drakan thought it odd that Itari had no gift to give as the Goddess seemed to favor her Chosen. What did it mean if the God of War was giving the newlywed couple a gift in Her place? War was coming, that much was certain, and despite Their vow not to interfere in the lives of mortals, Itari had used loopholes before so that She could interfere, at least indirectly. Had the Gods decided to openly choose sides in a mortal war, or was something else up?

Drek giving a gift in place of Selune was something of a miracle, from what she had learned of the pair from Alex’s studies. It only made her more concerned that this potential war was getting bigger than the mortals fighting it, though other than Itari and Selune, Drek of all Gods probably had a reason to support those who fought against Lharus’ human empire. She was so lost in pondering what the hell could be going on that she almost missed Kanae’s gift to the couple. "Vitality," she thought, "what in hell could that mean?"

She felt a sudden rush of energy, like she had just drunk a barrel of espresso, and the ground ,and Alex, seemed to be getting further away. No, they weren’t getting further away, she was getting bigger. She was also shedding her scaly skin like nobody’s business. Glances to either side showed that Grayle, Snow, Xuth, Forte, and Thorza were growing as well. Finally they all seemed to stop growing and Michelle looked back down at her Chosen, who was gaping up at her. ~Holy shit Michelle! You’re as big as Iriden.~

~Heh, you look so tiny now Alex… hmmm I wonder if this means…~ She began to rapidly beat her wings and used her powerful hind legs to launch herself into the air. She quickly processed what her Drakonic memory had available on flying and was able to put it into practice. After getting a feel for how her wings pushed against the air, she propelled herself higher into the air as the steady beating of her large iridescent wings helped her to gain altitude. She was flying, and soon the exhilaration of that action pushed all other concerns aside.

=^..^=

The exhilaration in Michelle’s mind washed over me as my former sister flew for the first time. She wasn’t alone either, as Snow, Xuth, Forte, and Thorza all joined her in flying circles far above the lakeside as they all explored their newfound freedom. I was still staring up at them when Mom’s thoughts brought me back to earth. ~Alright Alex, it’s time to thank the Gods for the gifts given and then we can officially begin the celebration.~

~Okay Mom, thanks for reminding me,~ I replied. Then I quickly added, ~and Itari, when I have some time, I think you have some explaining to do.~

~I have no idea what you are talking about,~ the Goddess answered, in what I assumed to be mock innocence.

I tried to put it out of my mind for the moment and focused on what needed to be done. “Gods and Goddesses, my Consort and I humbly thank You for Your presence here today and for the gifts that You have bestowed upon us. May our guests, Divine and mortal alike, partake of the celebration and eat, drink and be merry.” With that, the celebration was officially underway and the feast could begin.

Soon my companions and I were sitting back down at the head table eating, talking, and watching the Drakans flying above us while Grayle stood guard nearby. The Earth Drakan was quite the imposing sight now, and I doubted that anyone not native to Azure would come too close with her there. The Drakans’ shed skins were gathered by palace staff and loaded on a wagon that would take it all to the palace where tomorrow the seamstresses would start making clothes out of them for the Chosen. Michelle’s scales would also be used to make her riding harness and safety belts so that they would turn invisible whenever she does.

“I wonder how it feels to suddenly go from being an infant to being a full sized adult,” Lannah pondered aloud.

“We were already mentally mature when we were hatched,” Grayle reminded her in a silken voice. “Kanae’s gift just helped our bodies catch up faster, and I can’t help but wonder if the gift was really meant for us Drakans.”

I nodded in agreement. “I’ve been thinking the same. She said it was for me, Jezz, and our Champions, but we are magically bonded to our Drakans, or so I've been told. I kind of feel bad about having your youth taken away though, and I wonder if we were aged as well.”

“I think that She aged us only enough to get us full grown, so that we could be of more use to you now and when the war comes,” the Earth Drakan responded. “It’s possible that you aged too, though a pass of growth doesn’t cause much change at your ages. And one pass of life may have brought us to our full size, but it isn’t really much to a Drakan, we are inherently magical creatures and live for hundreds of passes, barring accidental death or murder.”

I think that we were all staring at our green scaled companion at that point. “Hundreds of years? How does that affect your Chosen if we’re all magically bonded to you?’ Rozia asked.

The Drakan seemed to ponder the question for a long moment before answering, “It’s hard to say, we’ve only been doing the bonding to a Chosen for what twelve passes?” At my nod she added, “That’s not very long, and probably not long enough to see any changes even in the aging process of even the first Chosen.”

I thought about all of the Drakan pairs that I had met. “I think the oldest pair that I’ve met aside from Patar and Runne are Gella and Iriden, and both pairs have been together for over ten passes. Gella seems very healthy and looks to be in her mid-thirties, but I've been told that she's well into her forties. That could just be due to genetics, or the fact that Chosen tend to keep fit due to their duties. Patar is as old as Gella is and, while he does act his age, he doesn’t really look it.”

Jonth nodded as I made my points. “You’re right, neither really seems to look as old as they are, but it could just be coincidence. Still, we may want to look into it, once we don’t have the possibility of a war hanging over our heads.”

“You’re right Jonth,” I agreed. “There’s other questions I’d like to have answered now anyway. Someone shake me if any more gift givers come to the table while I talk with Itari.” I focused my thoughts through the singing in the back of my mind that was the power of the land. ~Itari, what happened to Gods not interfering in the lives of mortals?~

The tinkling of bells sounded the Goddess’ laughter. ~Is that any way to thank the one who petitioned the other Gods on your behalf? Besides We are not interfering, We are restoring balance.~

~What do You mean You’re restoring balance?~ I asked. ~Is this about what our spies in the empire have been turning up the last few sevendays?~ According to humans we had sent into the empire to keep tabs on things, there had been an unusually large number of powerful Gifts granted in the empire recently.

~Yes, Lharus is beginning to make His move,~ she confirmed. >~He sees you and your people as a threat, and has bestowed powerful Gifts with far more frequency than what should occur naturally. Selune has been giving Gifts more frequently, and of larger scale, to counter it, but most people just aren’t attuned enough to magic and the divine to use a Gift without dire consequences. Lharus is not doing those people a favour by giving them Gifts. We still cannot interfere directly, but the gift giving today has provided Us with what you would call a loophole.~

~And you just can’t resist a good loophole can you?~ I retorted dryly.

~I use them on occasion if they are necessary,~ the Goddess admitted. ~Quite cleverly in this case, I must admit. The other Gods feel that Selune and I favour you too much, and feared what We might gift you with so they offered a compromise: If We did not give gifts of Our own We could choose another God to give a gift in Our place. We chose Gund and Drek since what They could give you was limited to their domains, but could be extremely useful to you in the days to come. Gund’s gift has heightened all of your physical abilities to their maximum, and when you toss the coin onto the ground Drek will grant you good luck for a time.~

~What about Kanae?~ I asked. ~Super-sizing our Drakans wasn’t exactly subtle.~

A musical giggle preceded her reply. ~A fine use of a loophole on Her part, gifting you with life energy to physically mature the Drakans that you are bound to, and none of Us suspected it until She did it. I really must commend Her on that. I suspect that Kanae supports Our stand on the matter of Lharus, and was awaiting an opportunity to assist one of Her own chosen children against Him.~

~You, Selune, and now Kanae, just how many of you Gods are going to take an interest in my life?~ I thought with a roll of my eyes.

Itari laughed once again. ~Oh please, this is not all about you dear child. You are not one of Kanae’s chosen children, your consort is. Still, Kanae is going to hear from the other Gods about that one. Selune and I will support Her though. Your Drakans need to be ready for the war as well. This will give you time to train with them at full power before the empire is ready to move a large force.~

When I brought my awareness back to the real world, Chrissy was snuggled up in my lap sleeping, but other than that the world was pretty much as I had left it. ~Enjoying flying sis?~ I sent to Michelle, who was still high above us.

~You bet I am,~ came her reply. ~Though I think my energy buzz is wearing off, and I’m getting really hungry.~

~Well you’re a big girl now so you can do some hunting. Make sure that the other’s eat too and bring something back for Grayle if you can.~

~You make it sound like I’m going on a fast food run Alex,~ she replied with a mental chuckle.

~Aren’t you?~ I retorted as I felt an elbow in my ribs. ~Anyway don’t be too long, it’s no fair you’re going flying for the first time without me.~ I opened my eyes to see Patar approaching our table, carrying a huge wrapped package with a smaller one sitting on top.

“Your Highnesses, I come bearing gifts!” he exclaimed with a bearish grin. “You both are like my own kin, and I thought you deserved something special today.”

”Patar, you do so much for us already, you didn’t need to get us anything,” I complained.

“Ah, but there is a story behind each of these gifts,” he said as if he hadn’t heard me and placed the large one in front of me. “For you, Your Highness.”

I opened up the plain paper wrapping and found myself looking at a large bundle of white fur. “Umm Patar, I don’t know how to break this to you but I already have fur.” I took out the bundle and found that is consisted of a long fur jacket, boots, hat and fur trimmed gloves, then realization hit me. “Wait a minute; is this what I think it is?”

His laugh answered my question before he even replied. “When I met you, you were out in the Frozen Wastes. You weren’t dressed for the weather, and you were fighting the biggest kythir I’d ever seen with a burning stick and a dull dagger. When we came back here and you were off getting Chosen and making things very interesting around here I sent another Frost Drakan pair back to fetch the kythir for the meat. Then I thought that it would be a shame if all that thick fur was wasted, so I had these made to keep you warm during the winter, and remind you of the day we met.”

Frankly I wasn’t certain right then if I should feel weird or sentimental, but seeing as Patar seemed to be feeling the latter I decided to go with that. “Thanks Patar, this was the last thing I was expecting, but its perfect. That was the first of many times you saved my ass since I’ve come here, and it means a lot that you’ve stuck with me all this time.”

Patar actually leaned forward and wrapped me up in a big hug. “It has been my pleasure Princess. Back then I said you were possibly the bravest or stupidest person I had ever met. You have proved that you’re far from the stupidest, but I am fairly certain that you are the bravest.” I could feel tears running down my cheeks as he let me go and gave the smaller gift to Jezz. “And this is for my favorite niece.”

Jezz opened the package to reveal a silver chain, with a pendant shaped like two crossed swords. Immediately her eyes started getting teary. “Unca Patar…”

“You remember this aye?” he replied as he hugged her too. “We first met when you were five passes old. You had just lost your mother, and your father was beside himself with grief, so you both came to live with me for a spell. You were trying so hard to be brave when we met and you saw this hanging around my neck. I told you that it was a symbol my clan gives when a cub has proven themself a warrior and is ready to seek out adventure. Every time you went out playing with the Jiquar children you’d come home with some sort of injury, because you were so eager to prove that you were as strong and fearless as they were so you could get one of your own. You may not be big and strong, but you have always had a warrior’s heart. This day is the start of your adventure Jezz.”

Jezz buried her face in his chest for a time as she cried happy tears. “Thank ya Unca Patar, I’ll do ya proud.”

“You always have Jezz.” It was strange seeing the usually stoic Patar all choked up, but he collected himself quickly. “Alright, now on to business you two. Given the fact that your Drakans are now fully grown, we need to discuss the arrangements for our trip tomorrow morning.” The plan for our honeymoon had originally been for Runne and Patar, and four other Drakan pairs, to fly us to the Port city where we would spend a sevenday at the family beach house on our honeymoon, with Patar and our guard contingent as our bodyguards. Once the seven days were up, we would hold court for one day in Draden. Then we would fly to five cities and towns between Draden and the capitol and hold court at each of them for a day. The fourteenth day of the trip would see us flying home and holding court in the palace.

“Okay, so what’s the change in plan Patar?” I asked.

“It will just be me and your own guards accompanying you, and each of you will by flying on your own Drakans,” he explained. “Iriden, Runne, and some of the other Drakans have offered the use of their spare harnesses for you all to use, until you return and yours can be finished.”

“What about Grayle?” I asked. “She can’t fly, and I would feel bad leaving her here while we’re all off having fun in the sun.”

“I was talking with Pharen and Jade, and they assure me that a full grown and healthy Earth Drakan can make the trip to Draden in eight candlemarks, which is twice as fast as a machul. They may not be fliers, but Earth Drakans have a lot of stamina and are excellent runners and climbers. So long as we don’t fly full speed, we should be able to keep an eye on Grayle from above and we can stop for a rest and a meal at midsun.”

“Tha’ sounds good if Grayle thinks she kin keep up tha’ kind o’ pace,” Jezz agreed.

“Don’t worry about me Jezz, I can handle it,” the Earth Drakan replied.

=^..^=

It had been a long celebration, and it was well after midnight when we returned to the castle. I had called a halt to our part in the festivities when I noticed that poor Lannah, who hadn’t slept at all the night before, was falling asleep in her seat while trying to remain on guard beside me. At that point I had Jonth take her back to her small cabin and put her to bed, while Jezz and I said our goodnights to the guests under Irric’s and Rozia’s watchful eyes.

We returned to our rooms in the castle drowsy from a long day, too much food, and too much wine. Still, neither of us was ready to sleep yet, as this was our wedding night and we wished to make the best of it. We barely noticed Pounce and Chrissy scampering in after us as I carried Jezz rather unsteadily through the threshold and fumbled my way through the living area to the bedchamber, where I placed her on the bed lovingly and kissed her softly. We managed to place our tiara’s on the bedside table and fumble our way out of our clothes without damaging anything, and soon soft kisses were just the beginning.

We kissed, cuddled, and made slow love to one another for a time, exploring one another’s bodies more than we had attempted to in the past, for fear that we may have been rushing things. That didn’t matter now though, because she was mine, I was hers, and we shared our minds as we shared our bodies. We both made some mistakes in our efforts to satisfy one another, but we learned from our errors and our successes until we both finally fell asleep contentedly in one another’s arms.

 © 2013 Amethyst Gibbs

Image by Andree Wallin at http://andreewallin.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24

up
209 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Any one for

Infinite dimensional chess.
This would give a Vulcan the hebi gebies. There are players who can operate any where or time.
Have I said recently I love this story. Please keep the story coming it is fascinating to read and a joy to understand.

Huggles
Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

The rules of Gods...

revolution's picture

Always strict but always full of loopholes! Great chapter! Can't wait to read the next as well as your other works.

I am pleased to see this story.

I had wondered where you had gone. It is good to see you writing again. :)

Gwendolyn

Alex is back!

I got my zenin fix. :-)

Thank you for writing this sweet story. I'm looking forward to reading more.

So glad to see you back!

Your fans missed you. Thanks as always for the fun stories.

Happy SIGH!

Lovely ceremony & celebration Amethyst! With all the politics & hypocrisy amongst God's & Goddesses, is it any wonder......(fill in your own blank!). So happy to have you back hon! Loving Hugs, Taarpa

Hm... I actually kind of

Hm... I actually kind of expected Lharus to pop up and gift her something too. Something very double edged...

Anyway, great chapter. I'm glad this story continues.
Thank you for writing,
Beyogi

Devious deities!

Well, well, well - the various deities using loopholes in their own rules and regulations to five Alexis and Jezz a pair of useful gifts, not forgetting giving the Drakans a fast track to physical maturity (much to the delight of Michelle, who's certainly enjoying a new perspective on the world!)

However, given that Lharus has been busy granting his followers gifts left, right and centre; the stakes in the upcoming war are higher than ever. However, there's also an added element of unpredictability given Itari's mention that "most people just aren’t attuned enough to magic to use a Gift without dire consequences."


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Thanks everyone it's good to

Amethyst's picture

Thanks everyone it's good to be back and writing about Alex, Michelle and company again. Things are starting to come to a head and it definitely seems like Itari is not the only meddling Goddess moving her pieces on the board against Lharus. I'm really glad you're all enjoying this.

Amethsyt

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

glad to see

you posting again. the growth spurt was inspired. what can you say, happy honeymoon.
great chapter, thanks

Great...

...to see this excellent story continue. Looking forward to more.

Thanks, Eric

Excellent chapter of an excellent story.

I'm looking forward to more even the travel and court holding. You always flesh your world out so nicely in the encounters within this story.

Great Science fantasy as always.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

I'm glad

Amethyst's picture

I'm glad that people enjoy this story so much. I try to make both the characters and the world itself endearing to the readers and I feel that the better people get to know the world the more at home they feel when reading the story, so the world needs to be well thought out.. That, and the Greylands, like any fantasy world an author creates, is like a piece of myself that I share with my readers. The more imaginative I make it, the more of myself I'm sharing with my readers.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

attitude

Sadarsa's picture

Is it just me or is Alexis being rather snooty and ungrateful towards Itari? She otherwise seems to be a great and friendly person... except when she speaks to Itari. You'd think she'd be a bit friendlier to someone who's obviously got her back and is helping as much as possible...especially when that person is a Goddess.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Alex and Itari

Amethyst's picture

Alex is grateful to Itari but Itari has claimed to not interfere with mortals and yet has so far interfered in Alex's life several times. While she appreciates it she is also on guard because she can't be sure what the Gooddess will do next and it's not like she can prevent it so she feels a bit helpless with Itari and it annoys her greatly. Itari also has a tendency to give partial answers and to tease her. Their relationship is somewhat like a teenage girl and her mother. She knows that Itari is trying to do what's best for her but she resents the interference and the games.

*hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Now with me and my family im

Now with me and my family im the youngest of the adults but I am the one who gives partial ancers

~belle~

belle

Woo Hoo, Dragons!

I'm a sucker for Dragons and Happy Endings and cute stuff and... Grin. Apart from the lack (so far) of a happy ending your tale ticks all the right boxes. I love the characters and the humour, and the world and the creatures. I guess we'll get to see more of the nasty stuff before we get to the (hopefully happy) ending, but so far you have woven a wonderful tale. Thanks for sharing. I'm off to read some of your other tales. Woo Hoo. Thanks again, Cheers, Kiwi.

Dragon enthusiast

Amethyst's picture

I love dragons too and I'm a sucker for a good fantasy world so it was a lot of fun coming up with my own. And it just wouldn't have been the same without dragons in it. Glad you're enjoying it so much ;)

*hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3