Alex in Wonderland - 12

Printer-friendly version
Alex always wanted to be a girl.
He gets his wish when he wakes up on an alien world.
Alex in Wonderland
Chapter 12
Duty

By
Amethyst
“Hooray for Zenin,” I said without much enthusiasm. “Thanks for the talk Mom, I guess I had better go get this talk over with. I’ll send Isra back in as I leave.”

 
Author's Note: Here's chapter 12 of Alex in Wonderland. Thank you as always to all my readers for the comments, kudos, and thinking that my work is worth reading. Also thanks to the Big Closet team who work tirelessly to give us all a wonderfully supportive venue to read and post TG fiction ~Amethyst.
 


 
Chapter 12: Duty

The next morning I seemed to be over my Tahrin, as Trevas and I had no issues being in the same room during our morning Healing lesson. Now that I could think clearly though, I had a lot of questions I wanted to ask my mom about this. I also had the opportunity to do so since Patar would be away from the palace that day to scout out a good location for our base in Lannik Pass. Once our morning lesson was finished Jezz went outside to go join our Drakans in the mid-morning sun, while I headed to the throne room to find my mother with promises of joining her soon. Sure we probably could have talked telepathically, but sometimes a talk is much more personal when you’re with the person physically. Not seeing a person’s face when you’re talking with them creates a distance that makes it easier to disregard a person’s feelings. In that way, telepathy with no empathy is a lot like talking on the phone or online.

Mom was just finishing talking to a tall Zenin woman with tabby coloring when I came in. Not many Zenin had that coloring and that height so I figured that it was probably Isra Perewin. The Perewin family have been loyal vassals of the Misalet family for generations. I had met Isra’s parents, and most of their seven children, through palace functions in the past month. I think that Isra was the only one that I had yet to meet actually. She was only two passes older than me, but had proven herself to be a capable diplomat, so she had been spending the past two tenths in Syrnia on the other side of the Frozen Wastes trying to improve our relations with their newly elected High Council.

My mother noticed me coming in and waved me over to our thrones, so I quickly moved to sit beside her in my own. “Good morning Mother,” I said as I took my seat and waited to be introduced.

“Good morning Alexis,” she replied. “This is Isra Perewin. She just returned from ironing out a trade agreement and alliance with Syrnia. I am very pleased with her efforts and have decided to reward her.”

I smiled at the tabby Zenin before us. “It is a pleasure to meet you Isra, your family has always served ours well. I am glad to see that you continue that fine tradition.” I felt bad that I couldn’t say more. Her mother had told me that before Isra had been sent to Syrnia she had been very close to Visanee, almost like an older sister. I saw the confirmation of that in the sadness of her eyes.

“It is my pleasure to see you again Your Highness,” she replied. “I was saddened to hear of your memory loss, but overjoyed when I heard of your becoming a Chosen and of your Gifting.” I could sense the sisterly love, sadness, and pride coming off her as she spoke. There was something else too, guilt.

I looked at her confused for a moment and decided to just get this out of the way now. “You feel guilty about something Isra. Please tell me what.”

She looked pained and ashamed as she looked at the floor. “I fear that your condition may have been my fault Your Highness. I was told that you were found in the Frozen Wastes. I cannot see much reason for you to have been out there so close to your Giftsun, unless you were traveling to see someone.” Her guilt made it clear that she felt that was the case and that she was likely the one Visanee was going to see. “Even if that was not the case, had I been here I could have convinced you not to do anything foolish.”

I shook my head sadly. I didn’t think anyone could have discouraged Visanee and she certainly hadn’t been going looking for her friend. “I do not blame you Isra, the blame falls solely on me.” That was true. Had I not been the one who traded places with her, Visanee’s plan may have worked and she would still be alive somewhere. “I don’t remember anything of my life before, but I have heard we were like sisters, so please call me Alex. I hope that we can rebuild what we lost and become that close again.”

Her guilt faded, not completely, but a little. She even managed a smile at that as she replied, “I would like that Yo… Alex. I am sure we have a lot to talk about.”

Mom chose that moment to speak again. “You girls will have plenty of time to catch up and get to know one another since Isra will be staying with us while she learns to manage her estates. I thought that she might use Jezz’s rooms since Jezz is practically living with you anyway,” she said with a smirk.

I grinned in response. “Oh I don’t mind that, and I’m sure Jezz won’t either.” Then the other thing she said hit me. “Learns to manage her estates?”

Mom nodded. “I have decided to appoint Isra as the new Countess of Kamnis. She will be having a proxy run the lands for her while she learns more about managing an estate and makes contacts in Court.”

I thought it was great that she was giving the position to someone who was obviously loyal to the crown and worked hard for us. Then again anyone would have been a relief after Halan’s family. “Congratulations Isra,” I said with a smile, “from what I’ve heard you deserve it.”

I could feel pride and a bit of embarrassment from her as she replied, “Thank you Alex.”

Mom smiled at the tabby Zenin and said, “Would you mind waiting outside for a few moments Isra? I think Alexis would like to speak with me, and then I would like to discuss the trade agreement and your lessons on estate management.”

“Yes Your Majesty,” she said with a curtsy as she got up and left the throne room to give us some privacy.

Mom turned to smile at me once it was just us. “What did you need to talk about Alexis dear?”

I squirmed a bit in my throne and wondered if telepathically holding this conversation wouldn't have been better after all. “I was hoping now that I’m thinking clearly again, that you could answer some questions about the Tahrin.”

She nodded. “I thought it might be that. I’ll answer whatever I can. I should have talked to you about this when you first came to us, but it slipped my mind, and after that you were adapting so well that I forgot at times that you weren’t born here.”

“It’s no wonder it slipped your mind with all that was happening when I got here,” I admitted before I asked my first question. “This Tahrin is basically like when other felines go into heat. Most cats aren’t sexually active except at that time, but I have been feeling sexual desire in varying degrees since Jezz and I started getting close. Why do we have it if we can be sexually active at any time?”

Mom thought about that before answering. “We believe that we and other felines all have a common ancestor somewhere. We still have a lot of the traits that those ancient felines had and this is one of those traits. It may be redundant, but it’s a part of us that we get used to. Most of us see it as a convenient way of knowing when we can expand our families, even if the Tahrin itself can make things uncomfortable for us while we have it.”

“So like a built-in form of family planning?” I asked.

She nodded after a moment. “Yes, you could say that.”

“Okay,” I replied as I went on to my next question. “Is it always so difficult to get through without mating?”

She shook her head at that. “It is elevated during the teenage passes while your body develops and becomes that of a grown Zenin woman. Usually there is a lot more sexual desire during this period in general, and then when the Tahrin happens it elevates those feelings even more. Usually it becomes more bearable once we are out of our teens and not as… prolific.”

That actually made sense to me. High hormone levels during the teens isn’t surprising, just look at human teens. So it’s not that surprising that the Tahrin would be at a high level too until puberty is over and the hormone levels balance out. “So if I really don’t want to have children yet, what do I do if I’m worried I might give in?”

“Thus far you have done a fine job of controlling yourself my dear. A strong will and sense of self is what separates us from the neetays and other felines. We don’t need to let our instincts control us. You can just keep trying to get through that way or there are other ways.” I could feel that she was embarrassed by something and gave her a curious look. She looked back in my eyes and sighed, “I must admit that when you told me about the Tahrin a few suns ago that I was worried for you and took some precautions, just in case you could not manage without mating.”

What kind of precautions?” I asked.

“The tea that I had Felice include in your midday meals was made from bloodblossom leaves.” Seeing the confusion on my face she quickly explained. “Bloodblossom tea can be used to prevent unwanted pregnancies. I was hoping it would not be necessary though, since I know how uncomfortable you have been alone with men since Halan.”

I winced at that, but nodded. “Yeah that’s most of what kept me from doing anything. I don’t really know if I’m ready to be a mom yet, but it was the thought of going off alone with a guy, especially for that, which was really bothering me.” I didn’t even realize I had closed my eyes until I opened them when Mom put her arms around me. “Thanks Mom, I’ll be okay. I can’t believe how stupid I am though.”

“How so?” she asked, confused.

“I learned about bloodblossom in my Healing studies and I didn’t pay as much attention as I should have, since I didn’t think I would ever need to think about preventing pregnancy.” I made a face as I remembered the taste. “I was wondering why my tea was so bitter. I had to use extra loiku in it.”

She laughed at the look on my face. “I am sorry, I should have warned you. Did you have any other questions?”

I nodded, but hesitated a moment before finally saying, “I don’t want to bring up any possibly sore topics, but I need to ask. Most Zenin families I’ve met are really large, and that’s not surprising given the Tahrin and the fact that I now know that monogamy isn’t a big deal here. I was wondering why I’m an only child.”

I could see the flash of pain in her eyes and feel it in my mind as she answered carefully, “You were not. Visanee was born with her twin sister Aleen, but there was a problem during the birth. I could conceive no more children after that and Aleen did not survive.”

It was my turn to hug and comfort her. “I’m so sorry Mom, I shouldn’t have brought it up.”

“It is fine Alexis,” she replied softly from my arms. “It was a long time ago and now I have a beautiful, caring and strong daughter to be my heir. Grandchildren would be nice someday, but I will not ask you to produce an heir until you feel ready.”

“Thanks Mom,” I said as I hugged her tighter. “As hard as everything here has been to adjust to, I’m glad I could be your daughter. I have never met a stronger and more caring woman than you in either world.” We stayed like that for a short time comforting one another and just being a mother and daughter without all the extra baggage of ruling a country. Then the reality of the upcoming war hit me and I realized that I should probably try to have a child before that to continue the line, in case the unthinkable happened. I might not feel ready, but it was my duty to my country. So I finally asked, “How long does it take for Zenin to carry a child to full term?”

I guess my mother had been thinking along similar lines because I felt some relief and a touch of pride from her as she replied, “Six tenths. If you tried for one on your next Tahrin you could probably have it before hostilities begin.”

I did some mental calculations. Six tenths was about thirty weeks. Ten weeks shorter than a human gestational cycle, so about seven and a half months. I sighed, “I’m going to have to talk with Jezz about this, but I think she’ll understand. I’ll also need to figure out which lucky Zenin boy I feel comfortable enough with to father the child. You said I was a twin? How ironic is that? Are multiple births common among Zenin?”

“I understand my dear, and I’m sure that Jezz will as well.” She thought about my questions before nodding, “Multiple births are not uncommon. Single births are more common, but it is not uncommon for some Zenin families to have a long history of multiple births either.”

“Hooray for Zenin,” I said without much enthusiasm. “Thanks for the talk Mom, I guess I had better go get this talk over with. I’ll send Isra back in as I leave.”

=^..^=

Something was bothering Alex, Michelle just knew it. She had tried probing her thoughts, but it was like her Chosen was deliberately shutting her out. She did not like that thought at all. Maybe the whole thing with Halan and then her Tahrin was making her use avoidance techniques again. Maybe it was something to do with the discussion she planned on having with the Queen. Michelle just didn’t know, and not knowing bothered her a lot.

Pounce was napping under one of the yalk trees while Grayle and Jezz played a form of tag. Jezz would make flying passes and try to touch Grayle without letting her Drakan touch her in return. The pair had tried to get Michelle to play as well but the Radiant was too worried about Alex to get involved. She may not be picking up her Chosen’s thoughts, but she could still feel her emotions. The conversation with her mother had caused confusion, sadness, worry, and that sense of duty in Alex that she far too often of late let override her own concerns. She watched the wall of the castle hoping that Alex would come out soon.

=^..^=

I collected a picnic lunch, some blankets, and Chrissy before I planned to use my ring to teleport to Jezz and the others. A lot had been on my mind and I had been consciously keeping my thoughts from Michelle during, and since, my talk with my mother. It wasn’t that I was hiding things from her, it was just that I didn’t want her snickering in the background while I tried having a serious discussion with Jezz. I could feel her worry, and it bothered me, so I sent her some reassurance. ~I’m fine sis. I’ll be right out.~

~Never shut me out like that again. I’ve been worried sick!~

I sighed and touched the ring. ~Sorry sis, I just need to talk to you all about something, and I wanted to do it all at the same time. I didn’t mean to worry you.~ I put the picnic basket and the blankets down and went to hug Michelle tightly. Once Jezz and I had set up the blankets and laid our lunch out, I took a deep breath and took Jezz’s hand. ~We need to talk.~

~What did you find out from her Majesty my love?~ Jezz asked.

~Three things,~ I replied. ~I found out that I had a twin that died in childbirth, and the complications prevented Mom from having any other kids. I also found out that the Tahrin is only so bad because I’m still going through puberty. Elevated hormone levels make it worse, but it should be more bearable once I’m out of puberty. The third thing I found out is that horrible tea we’ve been having with our lunch the past few suns was bloodblossom tea. Mom decided to take some precautions.~

~Well that stuff is all good to know,~ Michelle put in sounding relieved. ~And it was good of your mom to take precautions. I know I may joke, but you are nowhere near old enough to be getting pregnant.~

~About that…~ I took a deep breath to calm myself. ~I need to try for a baby during my next Tahrin.~

A chorus of ~What?!?~ rang through my brain. This was quickly followed by Michelle’s voice mind yelling, ~Are you insane?!? What did I just say? You’re too young to be pregnant, what are you thinking?!?~

I groaned and rubbed at my aching head as I carefully replied, ~It’s not uncommon for girls my age to marry and have kids here Michelle. I am legally an adult now you know. As for what I’m thinking, I’m thinking that we’re going to be going to war in eight or nine tenths if our intel is right. Zenin gestation is only six tenths, so if I get pregnant during my next Tahrin I could have the baby and have a bit of recovery time before things get crazy.~

~You’re the one getting crazy! Why in the hell would you want to have children just before a war starts?!?~ Michelle fumed.

~It’s her responsibility Michelle,~ Jezz put in. ~She needs to do her duty and have an heir.~ She squeezed my hand tightly. ~I understand, and I support your decision my love.~

I breathed a sigh of relief, but Michelle wasn’t finished yet. ~Well of course she needs to have an heir someday, but can’t it wait until after? Bringing a baby into the world on purpose before a war is just cruel.~

~Fuck you Michelle! Do you think I really want to do this?!?~ I snapped. ~This needs to be done soon. Think about it. We are going to war, what if the unthinkable happens and both my mother and I die? If there is no heir this whole country returns to swamps, volcanoes, earthquakes, the works! This has to be done for Itari, for my family line, for the whole damn country! People need the reassurance that if I die that there is still an heir after me. The people of Azure need to know that, especially during the uncertainty of war! And I am the only person who can do it!~

I was shaking now, and my outburst had caused us all to go quiet, both physically and mentally. The only sound was my sniffling as I cried out my anger, hurt, uncertainty, and fear. Jezz held me tight, caressing my back to try to soothe me. Finally Michelle’s mental voice broke the silence. ~I’m sorry Alex, that was uncalled for. I know you better than that, and I should have known you had a good reason for doing this. This decision was probably hard enough for you to make without me making things worse.~

~You’re damned right it was uncalled for! You have no idea how hard it was to come to this decision!~ Jezz continued to try and calm me down and Chrissy moved nervously around my throat, picking up on my agitation. After a time I managed to calm down enough to address Michelle more calmly. ~I’m sorry for being bitchy sis, but that really hurt. I love you and I don’t want to fight with you, especially over a situation that only has one solution.~

I could feel her mental nod and her regret for what she had said. ~I’m sorry too Alex, you’re right. You don’t have much of a choice in this.~

~She doesn’t have any choice in this,~ Grayle corrected.

~Not true,~ Michelle answered. ~Sure she needs to have an heir soon, but she does have one choice. She can choose the father. So tell us Alex,~ she teased to try and lighten the mood, ~What lucky Zenin boy is going to get to bone the princess?~

There was some confusion from both Grayle and Jezz at her choice of phrase, but I could feel my lover’s head nod as she held me. ~She’s right. Have you decided on someone yet my love?~

I shook my head. ~All that I know is that I don’t want to shut out the father, I want him involved in the child’s life. And it’s not going to be one of the jerks from the nobility that think fathering the child of a naíve princess will give them the throne. You will be my Consort Jezz, nobody else… that is if you want to be.~

I could feel the warmth and the love from her mind as she answered, ~I would like nothing more my love, if that is your wish. So we will decide together on the father and whether we want to add them to our relationship just long enough to father the child, or permanently. If you want them to be involved it should be someone we can both agree on to add permanently.~

~I’m still not really sure how these multi-person relationships work here Jezz,~ I replied with a sigh.

~It’s simple my love,~ Jezz answered. ~We would wed first if you wish for me to be your Consort and primary spouse. After that we can add people to our relationship on either a temporary or permanent basis, so long as we are both agreed to it. Most family groups don’t have more than four permanent spouses, though I have heard of some. If we decide to permanently add another person or couple to our relationship they need to be added in additional ceremonies.~

I swallowed the lump forming in my throat. ~Jezz, do you even like men like that? Enough to add one in to our relationship?~

She smiled and kissed me. ~I am like you my love. I am attracted to both genders, but I prefer to make my choices based on feeling a connection with the person. I am hoping that our similarities and closeness will make it easier to choose someone who we both like to add to our relationship and father a child. We only have four sevensuns to choose someone though, if you’re serious about getting pregnant during your next Tahrin.~

I kissed her back softly. ~Well that does make things easier. I know Trevas is interested in me, but I think things would be awkward with him and he’s not really my type. Neither is Tarn, and I really don’t know many Zenin guys our age that aren’t nobles trying to get an arranged marriage with me. I’d rather have someone loyal who wants us for who we are, and not our connection to the throne. Are there any Zenin guys that have caught your eye?~

~Jonth is pretty cute, and loyal, though he’s shy so we would have to get to know him a bit to see if he’s a good match. He does seem to like us though. It’s obvious he’s attracted to you, even without the Tahrin my love,~ was her reply.

~I think Lannah and him are interested in each other though.~ I answered with a giggle. ~She was taking advantage of my Tahrin to ‘get to know him better’. Though she did offer an invitation for us to join them,~ I added.

Jezz’s first response was a throaty giggle as she kissed my neck. ~Yes my love, I think Lannah is attracted to us too. If they are a couple it could make things interesting, not to mention fun. I like her. She’s got a nice sense of humor, she’s sweet, and she’s attractive. Even if she’s not interested in more, I think we will be good friends.~

I snorted at that. ~I’m pretty sure she’s interested in more; she doesn’t want to push it though. Remember dear I am an empath. I didn’t want to take her up on her little offer because I didn’t want to make complicate both of our relationships, and I’m still used to Earth’s relationship customs.~

~So what do we do then?~ she asked. ~If Lannah and Jonth are both interested, it could be fun seeing if we could make it work with the four of us. It is a bit uncommon to have a Human, a Cinole, and a Zenin all in the same relationship though.~

I was about to reply when Michelle started mentally giggling. ~That sounds like the start of a bad joke. ‘A Human, a Cinole, and a Zenin walk into a bar…’ Anyway if you two plan on putting the moves on them, you’re going to have to work quickly. What is the general feeling on pregnancy before marriage here Jezz?~

~It happens sometimes, especially with Zenin, but it is not really frowned upon,~ she replied. ~Usually the heir is wed beforehand though. Due to the need for female heirs the royal family in Azure normally wed young, often within a pass of their Giftsun if they find a compatible person. Royal weddings are always a big event and they give people almost as much hope for the future as the birth of a princess.~

I kissed her softly and smiled. ~We should get to work on that then Jezz.~

Her eyes opened wide as we kissed. ~Are you asking me to wed you? We’ve only been together for a tenth.~

I grinned at her. ~We are in one another’s minds. We know each other better than anyone, and we both know that we love one another. The feelings in our minds and hearts can’t be wrong and I can read both on you Jezz. I know you feel the same way about me that I do about you. So yes, I am asking you to marry me, will you do it?~

I could feel her joy and her love wash over me and it was beautiful. ~Of course I will! You said it yourself that what we both feel can’t be wrong. We will need to inform Her Majesty about this my love. She will want to start planning and there isn’t much time if you want to do this before getting pregnant.~

~I think she suspects as much already, since she told me you could live with me in my rooms now. We will talk to her about this at dinner. Now what do we do about the whole getting pregnant thing? I’m a little uneasy about just coming out and asking Jonth to do that,~ I said a bit nervously.

~Well duh! He hasn’t even bought you dinner yet,~ Michelle joked.

~Very funny sis, but I was being serious,~ I retorted.

Jezz snuggled up close to me. ~Let’s get together with him and Lannah and get to know them both a bit better when we all get free time. We will give it a bit of time and if we both feel it is right we will pursue it. That way there is no pressure until you know whether you are comfortable with and like him enough to ask it.~

I nodded and kissed her again. ~We do have the afternoon free, how would you girls feel about a swim to go play with Snow and Xuth after we eat?~

~That sounds like a fine idea,~ Grayle responded. ~It will be nice to get off the island and play with someone other than Michelle. Not that you are boring or anything Michelle, it will just be a nice change of pace.~

=^..^=

Soon after that decision was made one of the older Drakan pairs delivered lunch for Grayle and Michelle and Jezz and I ate our own meal. Once we had finished, and I had returned the basket to the castle, Jezz and I rode our Drakans as they swam across the lake to the land I had deeded to our four protectors. Jonth and Xuth were playing in the water and pretty easy to find and it looked like Lannah and Snow were watching from the shore. We waved as we approached, and soon we were sitting on the shore with the other Chosen pair as our Drakans all played in the lake under the hot afternoon sun.

Jonth was the first to speak when we were all more comfortably arranged. “I sense that you are feeling better now Your Highness. It is nice to be able to think clearly around you again. I am so glad that’s over.”

I nodded in agreement. “Yeah it’s so good being able to think again, and not being set off by every male Zenin around. The past three suns were pretty rough.”

He leaned back against a tree and sighed. “I know exactly what you mean, that was pretty bad. That was the first time I’ve ever felt it from this side…” He quickly shut his mouth as if he just realized he had said the wrong thing. I felt his usual nervousness around me spike and there was fear and sadness as well.

All three of us turned to look at him intently. “What did you mean by that Jonth?” Lannah asked.

The fear and nervousness increased as he realized that we had indeed noticed what he said. “It’s not important,” he tied brushing it off.

I frowned at that. “Jonth, I need to be able to trust you and I know that there is something you are hiding, something that bothers you a lot. Please, you can trust us; we’re supposed to be friends. I could order you to tell me, or Lannah or I could read your mind, but I would rather you just feel comfortable enough with us to tell us on your own. I really need to know if this could be something that could cause us all problems or danger in the future.”

The grey Zenin sighed and looked at us all with fear in his eyes. “Please promise me that this will just be between the four of us and our Drakans. It’s not anything dangerous, just personal.” After we all had nodded in agreement he swallowed hard and began speaking again. “The Giftsun is a big sun for a lot of people. Some people’s lives are changed by getting powerful Gifts, others are just changed. I was told by the Priestess of Selune that my gift would be a minor one, so I wasn’t really expecting my life to change all that much when she gave me my Gift. It changed more than I ever thought. Before my Gifting my name was Jannith.”

We all stared at him for a long moment. Jannith was a common girl’s name. “You were a girl?!” Lannah blurted out.

He nodded slowly as he answered, and I could tell that he was embarrassed by the admission. “Yes I was. I didn’t get much of a Gift, but sometimes Gifting can cause physical changes in addition to a person’s Gifts. Usually the changes are small, like hair or eye color or different markings. The priestess said that changes this extreme do not happen very often. So you see Your Highness, I know what you felt like going through your Tarhin. That is why I was trying very hard to just do my training, and not bother you by adding myself to what was probably a long line of men wanting to mate with you.”

I tried giving him a reassuring smile. “I appreciate that; it must have been hard having your gender changed like that.” I meant it too. I had enough trouble of my own adjusting, and I had wanted to be a girl.

He nodded sadly, his head hung low. “It was. There was a boy I was thinking of wedding someday, but he is not attracted to men and I no longer am either. Everyone started treating me differently too. To tell the truth, I was glad to be Chosen just so I could leave home and get away from all that. I was a bit afraid that all of you would treat me differently too if you knew I used to be a girl.”

Lannah took his hands and smiled at him. “Jonth, it does not matter to me what you were before. All that matters to me is who you are now. I’m sure that Jezz and Her Highness feel the same.”

“Ya, it dun matter t’ me if ya were a girl afore. Yer a cute an' nice man now, an’ gender has ne’er been tha’ important t’ me,” Jezz put in quickly.

I snorted in a very unladylike manner and tried not to laugh. “Believe me when I say that I am the last person who should judge a person who’s gone through something like that.” Both of my guards gave me curious looks at that, and I considered whether I should tell them or not. Jonth had trusted us with his secret and I knew both he and Lannah were trustworthy and loyal. I also felt that if we were going to try convincing Jonth to help get me pregnant that he deserved to know the truth, they both deserved it. With a long sigh, and a good scratching of Chrissy to help calm myself, I felt around with my empathy to make sure we were alone. Finally, I gave them a serious look. “What I am about to tell you, you can’t tell anyone. You must swear to take this secret to your graves.”

Both seemed a bit taken aback by this, but I could feel that they were determined to do so. They would not betray me, or the trust that I was showing them. I could tell from the feelings radiating from them both as they quickly said, almost in unison, “I swear Your Highness.”

Once those words left their lips I nodded and began relating the story of how Visanee had traded places with me, and then as she lay dying sent Michelle here to stand by my side. Neither of them interrupted as I spoke, they just listened attentively, though the awe and respect in their faces and emotions said quite a bit. Finally I finished the story with, “So you see Jonth, before I was snatched from Earth I was Human, and male. I may have wanted to be a girl, but that doesn’t make adjusting to a new gender much easier.”

Jonth shook his head with a smile. “I thought I was the only one, it’s such a relief to know I am not alone in this. You are adjusting well Your Highness, I never guessed you were anything but our Princess. You have managed to get through your first moon cycle and Tahrin so you’re through the worst of it now I think.”

Lannah was giggling and smiling. “That explains why your speech and mind speech is so hard to understand sometimes, I was wondering about that. It also explains your difficulty with multiple partner relationships. He is right though Alex, you have done a great job so far.”

“Thanks you two, but please Jonth, call me Alex. I am trying my best to be a good Princess for Azure and to learn everything I’ll need to know,” I replied. “I’m working on the whole poly-amorous relationship thing too.”

Lannah winked at me and grinned. “I know you are deeply in love with Jezz, but if you need any help with the relationship issue, you and Jezz would be more than welcome to come join us for more than just talking any time you like, right Jonth?”

Jonth nodded and gave a grin of his own. “Of course they would. I may not have wanted to pressure you during your Tahrin Alex, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t jump at the chance to share a bed with you. You and Jezz both are beautiful, smart, fun, and incredibly kind people and I would be a fool not to be interested.” He didn’t even mention the fact that I was the princess, it just didn’t seem important to him. I liked that.

I smiled at the pair. “Thank you both. I would like to get to know you both a bit better first, but if Jezz and I both like you as much as I think we will then it’s a very good possibility that we will take you up on that offer soon.”

We all talked about ourselves for a while after that. I told them about my life on Earth and how Michelle and I were adjusting. Jezz talked about growing up in a small farming village with not many Gifted around. Lannah talked about growing up in the capital, and how she had felt pressured to do great things just because she was born on the same day as Visanee. She also worried about being in the shadow of her parents, who had been citizens of the empire before helping to free thirty-two non-human slaves and get them to Azure. Jonth told us about his life before his Gifting, and since, and how he was coping with it all. He was getting more comfortable and confident with us and even told some off color jokes. The change was nice to see in the normally quiet and shy Zenin.

Finally we just started having group discussions on things like our wonderful Drakans, our hobbies and interests, and life in Azure. They were able to teach me a few things that couldn’t be found in books and that had slipped Jezz’s mind. Jonth and Lannah even offered to teach Jezz and me how to play Kaltok, a strategic board game, when we got a chance. Overall they both were good people, and I thought that the talk brought us all closer together. Finally we talked about our Gifts, and creative uses we had found for them, at which point Jezz just had to point out about my empathy and the best kiss ever.

To say that Lannah and Jonth were intrigued would be a gross understatement. Eventually, after a bit of cajoling from Jezz, I consented to give them a demonstration. I was worried it wouldn’t work if they or I didn’t enjoy the kiss enough to start the feedback loop. I kissed Lannah first and we both enjoyed it, a lot. Jonth was next but I also worried with him that I just might not enjoy kissing a guy, or that I might get panicky, and I warned him ahead of time. I needn’t have worried. Jonth was a good kisser and he made me feel wanted and respected rather than violated like I had feared. It could have been the emotions coming from him, the fact that he was a friend, or the fact that Jezz and Lannah were there in case anything happened but I did enjoy the kiss and I made sure that he did too.

Once Jonth, Lannah, and all three of our Drakans were lying down with looks of bliss on their faces matching the one I was sure I wore myself, Jezz joked about feeling left out. I should have known that she was just trying to get a best kiss buzz of her own. I was just glad I was getting better control of my Wilder empathy enough to block out the animals or Pounce and Chrissy would feel it too. I gave her what she wanted though, and once she and Grayle had joined us in the ranks of the blissed we all laid down together for a time just enjoying the company until it was time to head back to the palace for dinner.

 © 2013 Amethyst Gibbs

Image by Andree Wallin at http://andreewallin.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24

up
189 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Princess Alex has learned a

lot that has changed things for her. Glad that she has Jezz there for her.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The land bond

puts a whole new meaning on the royalty's duty to their people. You do a great job of showing despite how much they have both adjusted, they're still running into culture shock.

I also find it interesting that Visanee was a twin as was Alex and Michelle. I'm wondering if there is more to this?

Great world building!
hugs
Grover

Getting in a relationship

Getting in a relationship with the couple, even if it's mostly a 'sperm donor' one, would be good - that way there are more hands to care for the child(ren). Especially if Alex has to do reconnaissance missions (having the other Rainbow)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Ugh... while I like this

Ugh... while I like this story very much, this chapter felt a bit too harmonious for my liking. Even the fact that our new princess needs to get a heir went over easily. They also got a f2m TG... I think this would have been better if it had a bit drama. Maybe the queen or king feeling resentful for her taking the place of their kid. They seem rather uncaring about the whole thing. Maybe you mentioned something in one chapter, but they were over it all too fast.

Anyway, thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi

I had thought

Amethyst's picture

about making the Queen resentful but they need an heir too badly to be resentful about having one. She did go through her grieving but Visanee was headstrong and a bit distant from her parents and despite their love for her it made things difficult for them. Alex is a daughter who takes her responsibilities seriously, is often vulnerable and needing guidance due to the culture difference and most of all she's eager for a parent-child relationship she never had with her own parents. It's a bit hard to resent someone who has your child's body, actually acts like it,and really needs a mother. Also they are the only two people in the Greylands that are bound to the Earth and Itari. This gives them a very strong bond that nobody else can share.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Let's see. They already

Let's see.

They already were aware that their daughter was estranged (or desperately trying to be so) from them. We also don't know what they were doing in the private times. They still have the physical form that sprang from their loins, so that part is still there - it's hard to say 'she's completely gone' when part is still walking around.

As for the Heir bit? He was a bit older, remember, than his new body is. Also, after going through that kind of heat, it can drive home exactly what your body is designed for. Pragmatism would be a big chunk of daily life since the transformation. She also has her sister still there as a stabilizing, familiar influence.

As for more drama - why be that dramatic about it. If everyone is already aware of the changes that can occur with the Gifts, then it would eventually become mostly a non issue. "Wow, I can't believe that happened to Bob." - three day wonder, forget about it after that.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Charming story

I am well acquainted with polygamy, having been exposed to it culturally, not the Mormons silly, but the Muslims. Polyamory is a horse of a different color for me, and I just don't think I have the chutzpah for it. :) This is a very different story for me as I have not been into furry things. It is quite enjoyable and entertaining, however.

Gwendolyn

Read the whole thing today:)

I'm loving this a whole lot even the relationship dynamics are interesting as well as the cultural details and events. I'm seeing this as a really great series.

You know, I'm really going to enjoy this.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Great Bailey :)

Amethyst's picture

I'm glad you've enjoyed it enough to read it all in one go. I've tried to make the culture and world different and alien but not frighteningly so. This has proved to be fun to write and I'm really giving my imagination a good workout through developing the universe.

I'll try to keep it interesting as the story moves along.
*hugs*

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Jonth

He could turn out to be a very lucky boy - if he plays his cards right he could sire children by all three girls in his life - nothing like a big happy family! :D Besides which, although he doesn't have the Gift of empathy, his gender flip almost certainly means he can empathise with the three girls more than almost any other boy.

Procreation aside, their increasing closeness is likely to mean that when the war eventually comes, Team Alex (including the Drakans) will be a force to be reckoned with - one you really wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of. Hopefully they'll also devise some form of rapid communication system between the outpost near the pass and the Palace, so when the attack eventually comes, some forces at least can be dealt with before getting anywhere near built-up areas.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Re Jonth

Amethyst's picture

He is a lucky boy and he really can empathize with all the girls, especially Alex.

Team Alex is going to make things interesting during the war and seeing that Lannah is a long range telepath all they need to do for instant communication is post another telepath and/or someone she is familiar with at the base, then they can communicate instantly for status reports and such.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Still Lovin' It!

Nice work here Amethyst. The Tale your weaving here is quite entertaining & interesting. The TG twist with Jonth I think seals the deal with him being the proud new Papa! (LOL). I look forward to the next chapter when your up to it hon. (Hugs) Taarpa

From pair to foursome

As a person with a very strong interest in polyamory, and also being at least bisexual, possibly pansexual even though I have a very low libido, I am happy to see a story that accepts polyamory rather than shoving absolute strict monogamy down the new girl's throat.

Revealing that Jonth was originally a female adds a nice twist, Jonth's knowledge of female cycles gave him the strength to go through Alexis' recent Tahrin without taking advantage of her, which allowed her to have the strength to pull through it as well.

The interrelations between the four as they get closer to each other should be quite interesting.

I'm definitely enjoying the story, thanks for writing it.

: )

Comfortably numb

alissa