Alex in Wonderland - 8

Printer-friendly version
Alex always wanted to be a girl.
He gets his wish when he wakes up on an alien world.
Alex in Wonderland
Chapter 8
Noble Prize

By
Amethyst
“Let’s get down to business Viscount,” I said, deliberately referring to him by title only. “I would like to look at, and perhaps purchase, this book your mother spoke of. I have no wish to involve myself in the power games of the nobility. If you wish to gain my favor, then you would be best served by giving me what I want.”

 
Author's Note: Here's chapter 8 of Alex in Wonderland. This is a darker chapter and may be triggering to some people. I would have had it posted yesterday but I decided that I just wasn't happy with how the second half of the chapter felt. It lacked the emotions I usually try to convey so I had to completely change it twice before I was somewhat happy with it. Thank you as always to all my readers for the comments, kudos, and thinking that my work is worth reading. Also thanks to the Big Closet team who work tirelessly to give us all a wonderfully supportive venue to read and post TG fiction ~Amethyst.
 


 
Chapter 8: Noble Prize

I had decided to meet with Halan in the throne room. I had a bad feeling about this meeting, and thought it wise to have the meeting in a place that would remind him just who was in charge. After finishing our lunch, Jezz and I headed to the throne room and I sat in the heir’s throne to the right of the Queen’s throne. My throne was a bit smaller, but nearly identical to my mother’s, and both sat on a raised dais and had sizable holes for our tails. Jezz literally hovered above and behind my right shoulder. It was my hope that this would make the message clear from the beginning; I wanted no courting.

I would have had to be both blind and stupid not to see that the Countess Nikola planned to use this meeting in an attempt to make her son the next King of Azure, or at the very least to get into my good graces. I was neither, nor was I a simple child to be manipulated. Soon Halan was led inside by one of the palace squires, while guards took their positions outside the doors, ready to come if I called. Halan was a tall muscular Zenin with black fur and hair, probably in his late twenties, though it’s hard to tell with Zenin. He was also very handsome, and worse yet he knew it.

It would seem that his plan was to stride in, and make the young Princess’ heart go all aflutter. Even if I weren’t an empath I could have seen that he radiated confidence. I was not impressed, especially since he strode into the throne room like he owned the place, or soon would. I groaned as the squire introduced him, but minded my manners, “Viscount Halan, how nice of you to come. I appreciate you bringing the book; I was fascinated when your mother told me of it. Can I have one of my servants get you some refreshment?” I quickly reminded him just why he was here, and who’s home he was in.

“It was my pleasure to call on you Your Highness. Some wine would be wonderful, would you care to indulge with me?” he asked, flashing me a smile.

I sent the squire off for some wine and shook my head. “Thank you for the offer, but no. I have combat practice after this, and I would prefer a clear head for it.”

The black Zenin nodded and replied, “Of course Your Highness.” He didn’t seem at all disappointed that his little ploy to get me inebriated had failed. “Perhaps some milk would suit you better then.” It was a subtle insult, meant to refer to me as a child, and perhaps to spur me into proving I wasn’t. I wasn’t going to take the bait.

“Let’s get down to business Viscount,” I said, deliberately referring to him by title only. “I would like to look at, and perhaps purchase, this book your mother spoke of. I have no wish to involve myself in the power games of the nobility. If you wish to gain my favor, then you would be best served by giving me what I want.”

Halan stepped onto the dais and knelt before me, handing me an old leather bound book with pages yellowed by the passage of time. “Please Your Highness, consider this a gift from my family.”

His hand lingered too long on mine, and I caught a familiar scent that I couldn’t quite place. I tried to put it out of my mind as I opened the book to look inside. It appeared to be a journal of sorts, the pages were hand written and the entries were dated in the seventeenth century, and signed by James O’Donnell. After taking a brief look through it, to confirm that it was indeed written by someone from Earth, I placed the book in my lap and smiled. “Thank you Viscount, I am very pleased, this should make a very interesting read.”

“It is my pleasure to give you pleasure Your Highness,” he said with a smile. He had such a nice smile, it made me feel warm all over. I felt a warmth in my groin, and could feel my nipples hardening underneath my clothes. My throat was dry and I thought that maybe a drink of some sort would be a good idea, nothing alcoholic though, since I needed to think clearly through this meeting in case he tried to pull something. Why would he try something? He already had my favor by giving me the book, and his hand felt so nice as it slowly caressed my own, causing shivers of pleasure.

Michelle’s voice slipped into my mind. ~Are you and Jezz fooling around again? I thought that you were supposed to be in a meeting.~

~Of course not,~ I answered her, giggling. ~I’m meeting with Halan right now.~

~I thought that you planned to keep this meeting all business, in case he tried something,~ she replied.

I sighed as Halan’s hand started to move up my arm. ~Yeah, I was very clear that this was all business. He gave me the book with no problems.~

I could feel her mental groan as she pressed, ~Care to tell me then why you feel like a horny teenage girl on prom night then?~

~I don’t know,~ I admitted. ~Maybe it’s because he’s handsome and nice. He even smells nice, kind of like flowers.~ My eyes snapped open as I recognized that smell. ~Flowers! I think the bastard practically bathed in red bonnet pollen! He reeks of it!~ I could smell the scent clearly now, and fought to get control of myself and push down the desire which threatened to weaken my resolve.

I could feel Michelle’s fury in my mind. ~I am going to rip him apart!~ The scary thing was, that even as an infant she probably could.

~I’ve got this sis, but you may want to go wait in the main courtyard.~ Then I opened up my mind to Halan’s, and tried not to breathe too deeply, as I glared at him and said very slowly and deliberately, “Remove your hand from my arm, before I remove it from yours.”

Halan swallowed hard, and I could feel the arousal, confusion, nervousness, and just a bit of fear off him. He was thinking, ~What happened? This naíve little girl should be willing clay in my hands.~ He obediently removed his arm before I could get any more than that though. “Your Highness?” he asked nervously.

The squire chose that moment to come back, but I quickly dismissed the Human boy again. “Please fetch Patar for me Mante, I’m afraid that Viscount Halan will be leaving momentarily.” Then I turned back to Halan. I had to focus quite a bit to keep myself from giving in to my arousal, but he was wearing the stuff so I imagined it was worse for him. I could in fact see it, now that I was paying attention. Well it was his own damn fault if he had a case of blue balls, and as far as I was concerned he would be lucky if I didn’t decide to kick him there.

I clenched my fists at my sides as I spoke again. “Didn’t think I would catch the scent of red bonnet pollen Halan? Or did you just think that I wouldn’t care, once I got a good enough whiff of it?” His eyes widened at that, and I didn’t give him a chance to reply before I continued. “I’m a Healer you idiot, I’m very familiar with red bonnets and their effects. The whole city, and probably most of the rest of Azure as well, knows I’m a Healer and an empath. You were so confident, and were hoping that that would make me, as an ‘inexperienced child’, ignore everything else. This naíve little girl was supposed to be willing clay in your hands, was I not?”

Worry and fear was coming off him in waves as he sputtered, “Your Highness you…”

I cut him off, giving him a predatory smile. “Yes, that’s the thing most people don’t know. I also read minds. Would you care to know what I found in yours?” I bluffed. His look told me that he very much did not want to know what I may have found there. I looked back at Jezz, who was clearly very upset. She felt it too; I could feel the anger and hate radiating off her with heat like a furnace. I turned back to Halan and sighed, giving him a stern glare. “Now what shall I do with you?”

“Your Highness please forgive me I…” he began.

I cut him off again. “You are in my home, in front of my throne, and you have made me very angry. You’re familiar with my Drakan Michelle right?” When he nodded slowly I continued by saying, “She has made it very clear that she wants me to send you home to your mother.” I gave him a brief moment to look relieved before adding, “In pieces. And judging from the look on Jezz’s face, I would imagine that her Drakan Grayle is of the same opinion.” He was really scared now, especially once Jezz moved to hover beside me, nodding her head gravely. ~Are you in the main courtyard sis?~ I sent to Michelle.

~I’m here, and so is Grayle, and she looks as pissed as I am. I guess Jezz told her what that creep did?~ she sent back, her thoughts seething with fury.

~That would be my guess,~ I replied, before turning my attention back to the Viscount. “I will be speaking with my mother on this matter, and you will be very lucky if she does not remove your family’s title and confiscate your lands. Regardless, I will be having people keep an eye on you. If you ever pull anything like this again, if I even get the impression that you have coerced a girl into bedding you by any means, then I will leave you to the not-so-tender mercies of our Drakans. Do I make myself clear?” I empathically fanned the flames of his fear to get my point across.

He swallowed hard and nodded as Patar showed up, looking concerned, “Your Highness,” Patar ventured, “You called for me?”

I nodded and, as he opened a mind link, I sent him a brief synopsis of what had happened, and what was about to. I could feel his anger as he waited for me to speak aloud. “Yes Patar, Halan was just leaving. Please see to it that he finds his way out as quickly as possible, I no longer want him in my palace.” Then I took Jezz’s hand, and gave it a reassuring squeeze, as I sent to our furious Drakans, ~Okay girls he’s coming out to the main courtyard. Scare the living shit out of him… but do try to leave him in one piece.~

=^..^=

Michelle waited with Grayle in the courtyard, wondering if perhaps this was the time to try to display her abilities. She had been practicing bending light for over a week now; ever since she began to notice that she could see the various individual color spectrums, or all of them just by thinking of it. At first she was just able to see them, but thanks to her racial memory she quickly discovered that she knew how to manipulate what she saw, to bend it to her will, and shape it like clay. Knowledge led to doing, and she had begun to practice in secret whenever Grayle was sleeping or otherwise occupied and Alex and Jezz weren’t around. She had been hoping to surprise them.

After what that bastard did to Alex though, Michelle was sorely tempted for the surprise to be now. She left Grayle in the courtyard as she made her way fuming to the main gates. Her Chosen seemed tired, having to focus on keeping herself in check while talking to Halan must have taken a lot out of her. She still felt very aroused, and Michelle knew from experience that when you were that turned on saying no and remaining composed could be extremely difficult. That asshole would pay for what he did to her sister and Chosen.

She made her way out to the drawbridge and the end of the bridge it was attached to, her thoughts firmly entrenched in the need to make that bastard suffer. Once she got to where the bridge and drawbridge met she sat herself firmly in the middle of the path, brought herself up to her full stature, and spread her wings menacingly. Then she concentrated on the light around her. She took all the light that touched her and bent it around her, and only once she was sure that she had done it right did she turn her attention to the gates to await her prey.

It was then that a well-dressed black Zenin ran from the courtyard and out the gates with a look of pure terror on his face, promptly slamming into her. He fell on his ass and looked around confused, wondering what he had bumped into. Michelle focused on the light once again, and instead of bending it around her she enhanced the reflection of it off her scales. This in effect changed her instantly from being invisible to being literally radiant with bright light, an avenging angel with her wings outstretched. And then she spoke. Speaking was still difficult, but she and Grayle were beginning to get the hang of it and could speak using some single syllable words and their Chosen’s names. “You… hurt… Alex!” The words came out in a deep growl that practically shook the bridge beneath them.

Still on his butt, the Zenin started to back away as Michelle stalked him, still uttering a deep angry growl. Michelle was pretty sure she could smell urine, and a look at his trousers proved it to be true. He came to an abrupt stop when there was a second growl behind him, turning his head to see Grayle there, approaching slowly and deliberately. His head darted back and forth as he looked from the glowing silvery Drakan to the menacing green one behind him, and back again, and then he got to his feet and ran to dive off the bridge and into the lake.

~Grayle and I are finished taking out the garbage Alex. He’s still in one piece, but I think you’re being far too kind after what he pulled.~ She gave a quick look to the water below before turning angrily to stomp after Grayle, as the other Drakan led the way back to their courtyard, but her mind was on Alex. She did not like what she was feeling from her Chosen. Alex was obviously more shaken by the incident then she was letting on and after handling the situation so calmly, now that it was over her thoughts were confused, scared, and panicked. Michelle became even more worried once Alex’s presence in her mind suddenly vanished.

=^..^=

Jezz had shoved shiide leaves in my mouth, making me chew them to relax me, and to gradually disperse the effects of the red bonnet pollen on me, as I sat back in my throne. Michelle and Grayle had taken out the garbage, and I was trying to relax and calm down after the incident. Now that it was all over I was shaking like a leaf, starting to cry as Jezz held me and tried to console me, and my thoughts were all over the place. "He came into my home and essentially used a drug in an attempt to rape me, and if it hadn’t been for Michelle I would have probably cheerfully led the way to my bedroom. Why did I have to meet him while my parents are away? Did I handle the situation right? Should I have imprisoned him? Just how much authority do I have while my mother is away? I’m scared and angry, and I feel so used and dirty. I feel like I’m going to throw up. I want my mom!"

~Alexis?!? Are you alright?~ My adoptive mother’s voice was suddenly in my mind. It was different than regular telepathy though, accompanied by the same humming/singing feeling as when Itari spoke with me.

~Is that you Mom?~ I sent back uncertainly, my heart rate quickening. ~I’m really upset at the moment. How are we talking like this? I don’t have this kind of range on my own and it feels different.~

Mom’s voice was soothing in my mind. ~We are both connected to the land and Itari Herself. We can use that connection to speak with Her or each other whenever we need to. It blocks out any regular telepathic contact though while we do it. I just heard you shouting that you wanted me. What’s wrong dear?~

I was sniffling and shaking in Jezz’s arms, and my heart felt as if it was being torn asunder as I explained to my mom what had happened, and how I had handled it. I could feel the cold fury in her mental response. ~They will pay for this. You did well dear; you stayed in control and managed to show great strength in a position where most girls would have frozen, panicked, or given in and let him have his way. I will be there in a moment, I’m using the ring, your father will return by Drakan as soon as possible.~

The ring was just that, a ring, and it had been created decades before by one of the royal Enchanters. It was worn only by the Queen, and had a permanent repetitive enchantment on it that would allow the wearer to return to the palace throne room instantly, from anywhere in Azure. Suddenly another set of arms was around me and I opened my eyes to see my mother holding me tight, trying to comfort me. She spoke softly, but there was cold iron in her tone as she said, “Jezz dear, I need you to go to the Temple of Itari in the great square, where the Temple District and the Market District meet. Tell the High Priestess that I want her to ring the bell three times and prepare the temple balcony for a royal proclamation.” She handed Jezz something as she added, “Show her this, to prove you came from me.”

“Yes Yer Majesty, I’ll fly as fast as m’ wings’ll let me,” was the Cinole’s reply.

I only half heard what they were saying, chewing the leaves as I started to calm down from the effects of the pollen. I felt Jezz release me though, and fly off as Michelle’s worried voice popped into my head. ~What the hell happened?! I couldn’t feel you at all just now. I was worried that you had a mental breakdown.~

I sniffled and buried myself deeper into my adoptive mother’s arms. ~I’ll explain later, Mom’s here now and she’s pissed.~ I felt bad for being so short with Michelle, but I really didn’t feel up to explaining things right now. Mom just held me and kept telling me that it would be okay, and that I had done so well by foiling his plans and keeping a level head. Michelle had been the one to figure out I wasn’t acting like myself though. ~Sis, thanks. If it hadn’t been for you I probably would have been…~ I couldn’t finish that thought, and shivered and started sobbing again.

~I came here to protect you remember,~ Michelle answered sternly. ~I will never let anyone harm you, and if I think you’re doing something out of character I’ll call you on it, just like I did today. I would have gladly killed that slime ball if you’d wished it, and I was seriously tempted to maim him no matter if you wanted him kept in one piece or not. You are my twin, my sister, my Chosen, and my best friend and nobody is going to harm you while I live. You avoided what he had planned and, while I was the one who warned you, you were the one who got and kept yourself under control.~

I wiped my eyes and sniffled as I tried to calm down. It could have been so much worse, but I had avoided that and I had Michelle, my mom, Jezz, and Grayle to support me. ~Thanks sis, I feel a bit better now, I think I just needed a good cry.~ After a while I lifted my head to give my mom a weak smile, “I’ll be okay I think, thanks for being here.” I did feel calmer now, possibly in good part due to the shiide leaves, but I felt emotionally drained after the meeting, and the upset afterwards.

Mom kissed me softly on the forehead. “My daughter was scared and hurting, where else would I be?” She pulled me closer and softly stroked my hair. “You did a good job while I was gone. I had Patar giving me status reports every night, and he said you handled things as well as I would have myself. Even today, you handled yourself admirably. In the future, when I am not here, your word will be as my own. You did not act in anger, but made him fear ever crossing you again, and I think that your threat to take away their titles and lands is a fair punishment. Do you wish to announce it or shall I?”

I shook my head. My heart felt heavy in my chest, and I was just too tired and emotionally drained at the moment to be making speeches in front of thousands of people. “I think it would be better coming from you Mom, otherwise people are liable to get the wrong idea about it. If you need witnesses, Jezz was here the whole time and Patar can attest that he stunk of red bonnet pollen when he escorted him to the courtyard.”

“Very well dear, I have Patar preparing the royal carriage so that we can go to the temple for the announcement. Do you think you are up for leaving now?” she asked.

I wiped away the tears that had wet the fur on my cheeks and nodded. “Yeah, I guess I’m feeling a bit better, can I go get Chrissy from my rooms first? I’d feel better with her in her usual place.”

Mom gave me a smile and squeezed my hand, “Of course dear, I’ll be waiting in the courtyard.”

When I got to my rooms I dropped the damn book that had caused all this on my bed, where I found Chrissy and Pounce curled up together sleeping. Jezz had named the neetay after the way it had leaped into her arms when they met earlier that morning, I almost felt guilty as I took Chrissy, but I needed my little friend right now, and I made sure that there was still plenty of food and water for Pounce, and that the box of sand for the pair didn’t need cleaning before I left.

Chrissy had woken when I picked her up and quickly took her place around my throat. Once in place, she started to hum contentedly. I opened myself up to her emotions in an attempt to dull the disquiet in my own heart. Her mere presence, combined with her happiness, contentment and relaxing humming made me feel better as I headed to the courtyard. As I was stepping out of my rooms I heard a bell toll three times in the distance.

=^..^=

Michelle was still fit to be tied, but at least Alex had calmed down somewhat and her thoughts weren’t so chaotic. She was regretting not having chased Halan to the shore when she saw that he had survived the dive and was swimming for the city. She wanted that man to suffer after what he did to Alex. Alex had insisted on being the better person though, and Michelle wasn’t going to go against that. At least she had been there to give her Chosen that prodding when she needed it, and had been there in her mind to comfort her after. She had meant what she said; nobody would ever hurt Alex while she still drew breath.

Michelle was sure of one thing; she needed to train more, and harder, so that she could be the best possible protector for her former twin. She no longer had the luxury of doing so in private or when the others were asleep. With more practice, she’d soon have the invisibility trick for herself flawless. It was time to start lessons two and three; making others invisible, and creating illusions. Finding the former more important than the latter, she turned to Grayle and the light reflecting off her scaly hide. "If I’m going to do this, I might as well start big," she thought as she tried to bend the light to her will while Grayle watched her through half closed eyes.

=^..^=

I fell asleep on the ride to the temple. The shiide, Chrissy’s contented humming as she vibrated against my neck, and my mom’s arms wrapped protectively around me conspired to relax me enough that my body gave in to its need for rest after my ill-fated meeting with Halan. Mom woke me once we had arrived, and told me that Patar had contacted my new guards in training to tell them that there would be no combat practice that afternoon, due to the ringing of Itari’s bell and the proclamation that would follow. When the door to the carriage opened I was surprised, and a bit touched, to find all four of them waiting with Jezz to help us out and escort us into the temple.

The square was packed with people. It was usually busy, but now the square was as packed with people as if had been during my Gifting. There was much murmuring and confusion as people saw the Queen, who was supposed to still be in Draden. The temple bell only ever rang three times to gather everyone in the capital for a royal proclamation, and usually such matters were very serious. I could hear people talking, and generally they seemed worried. With so many people there, I had to firmly clamp down on my empathic shields to keep from being overwhelmed. I was already tired and emotionally drained, and I didn’t need to add more confusion and fear to the list as I had plenty of my own that I was sure would rise to the surface once I had the energy to care.

My guards, as well as four uniformed palace guards, formed a protective circle around us as I followed my mother mutely into the temple and we approached the waiting High Priestess. “All is prepared as you requested Your Majesty,” said the Human woman in dark brown and green robes as we approached.

“Thank you Zarla,” my mom replied, looking grim, though her eyes were filled with a cold tightly controlled anger that I may have found frightening under other circumstances. “I will try to make this as brief as possible, so people can get back to their lives.” The priestess joined our group, and we all headed up the marble stairs to the balcony that overlooked the great square. The balcony was also made of marble, and the railing was painstakingly sculpted into a pattern of leaves. Normally I would have been impressed and in wonder at the craftsmanship, but at the moment I just didn’t care. Mom, Zarla, and I all stepped up to the railing, with me at her right and Zarla to her left. Our guards all waited behind us, ready to act if needed.

Mom held her hands up for silence, and soon got it. Raising her voice to be heard across the square she began to speak. “People of Azure! Last night my daughter, Princess Alexis, arranged with Countess Nikola Tahrun to meet with her son, Viscount Halan Tahrun, regarding a matter of business. Today, when that meeting occurred, Viscount Halan used that meeting, and a good measure of red bonnet pollen, in a craven attack on my daughter’s virtue!”

There were gasps of surprise and angry muttering at that, and she held up her hands again for silence before continuing. “This attack was foiled, due to quick and level headed thinking on the parts of both my daughter, and her Drakan Michelle. Your Princess sent the coward fleeing the castle in fear.” There was some applause at this, but most of the crowd was angry and shocked. “This deed was a foul betrayal against, not only Alexis, but the entire royal family, all the people of Azure, and Itari as well. My daughter has fairly decided on the punishment for this attack. Henceforth, the Tahrun family is stripped of all titles and rank, and their lands and property will be seized!”

After the proclamation the anger was almost palpable to even non-empaths, and I felt it slipping past my shields as my thoughts went all over the place. "Maybe I should just give in and let that raw emotion wash over me. I have right to be angry, me more than anyone in fact. Everyone else is angry; Mom, Michelle, Jezz, Grayle, my new guards, so why not me? Maybe I should have let Michelle and Grayle rip him apart. No. As angry as they were, if they had killed him like that they both would regret it later. We are all better than that. I’m better than that. I stopped him and dealt with him in my own way. I just want this to be over and put it behind me."

We waited in the temple for the crowd to dissipate. I was sitting on a pew trying to keep calm, with Jezz and my mom to either side of me holding me. A candlemark had passed when my mom said, “The Square has settled down. Let us go home so you can have dinner and get some rest.” I didn’t argue, I knew I was emotionally exhausted, I just let them guide me back to the carriage and sat in silent contemplation the whole trip home. When we got back to the palace I picked at my dinner and afterwards let Jezz guide me to my bed. She, Grayle, and Michelle all tried to talk to me, to take my mind off things, but I didn’t say much in return. I didn’t want to talk; I just wanted their company, so I mostly just listened. Jezz and I laid there the rest of the evening together and, rather than sending her to bed when I got tired, I asked her to just stay and hold me as I finally fell asleep in her arms

~ ~ ~

I was dreaming. I knew I was dreaming, but it had the clarity and focus I’d had in dreams only once before. I knew with near certainty that what I was dreaming was playing out in reality as I dreamed. The first thing that I was aware of was the sounds; distant yelling, banging, and crashing. Then there was the smell of smoke. I looked around to find myself in a lavishly decorated room with expensive looking furniture, paintings, sculptures, and a large wine rack. Whoever lived here had wealth, and liked to flaunt it.

I tried to push a sculpture off a small table in a show of distaste, but my hand merely passed through it. I guessed that I was merely an observer here, not that there was much to observe. Then I heard raised voices and arguing, much closer than the other sounds. I turned to see Nikola and Halan there with another Zenin who I vaguely recognized as Halan’s father, Count Leggund. The two Zenin men had begun moving furniture in front of the large pair of doors to the room while Nikola screamed at them.

“This is all your fault Halan! All you had to do was go to that meeting, seduce that child, and convince her to make you her King. You could not do that right, even with the pollen, and you let that spoiled little brat see right through you! Now we have lost our lands, our titles, everything! Even our servants have turned against us!” She waved her arms about wildly as she screamed.

Halan turned and snapped back at her. “It was your idea to use the pollen! You said it could not fail, but she smelled it on me because she is a Healer! You said she wasn’t trained enough to recognize it and, that if I was confident, it would overcome her empathy! How was I to know that the zint could read minds?!”

The Count glowered at his son. “Why didn’t you give her the ring I enchanted?! If she had put it on she would have obeyed whatever you wished!”

“Because you told me to wait until I had her alone in her bedchamber!” the younger Zenin growled.

I grew angrier with every word I heard, but I couldn’t do anything but watch and listen. The shouts and banging were just outside the doors now, and I could see smoke slipping in from under the doors. The doors began to crack and buckle under the assault. Leggund looked around frantically. “We’ll escape through the windows and head to the forest!” He took a chair and threw it at one of the large windows, shattering the glass, and then the three Zenin leaped through it as the door gave way and the angry mob entered the room.

They ran across the back yard and soon were running through the woods with the mob hot on their heels. Leggund tripped on a root that seemed to grab at his foot and the mob was upon him. Nikola and Halan kept running, pursued by the more persistent. Shrubs and branches took pieces out of their clothes, and left them with scratches as they ran, and loose soil gave them trouble with their footing. Nikola fell as she twisted her foot on a large stone buried in some of that loose soil, and then the mob was upon her too. Some pressed on to chase Halan.

Halan looked to be growing tired from his run. The loose soil and grabbing thorns and branches seemed to be making it hard on him. He had almost a dozen needles from stingweed plants in his leg and he was bleeding from multiple cuts and scrapes. His once fine white silk shirt was now torn and ragged and sporting red blood stains, and his chest rapidly moved in and out from heavy breathing. “I… will get… that… zint… for this.”

The former Viscount was staggering now, his pursuers catching up as he seemed to hit every possible obstacle in the darkened forest. Then he was gone. I looked around, wondering where he could have gone when I heard him cursing and looked down to find him sprawled at the bottom of a shallow hole in the ground that I hadn’t noticed while following his run. Apparently he hadn’t noticed it either. That was all his pursuers needed to catch up, and they fell upon him like they did his mother and father before him.

~ ~ ~

I shot bolt upright as I awoke breathing heavily, as though I really had been running through the woods following the treacherous trio. Jezz was still awake and quickly put her arms around me. ~It’s alright my love. I’m here.~ She lovingly caressed my cheek and kissed me softly.

I shook and buried myself in her arms. ~It’s over Jezz. They’re all dead.~

~Who is dead my love? Halan?~ she asked, and I could feel her confusion.

I nodded, bobbing my head up and down against her chest, trying to slow down my breathing. ~Yes. I just had one of those dreams again. I saw Halan and his parents chased by an angry mob through the forest. I just knew that it was happening while I was watching.~

~I can’t say that I’m surprised after how the people reacted at the proclamation,~ Jezz replied, radiating a mix of sadness and relief. ~Your people love you. I wish they hadn’t gone that far, but at least we know he won’t be harming anyone else, now that he’s in Pallo’s realm.~

~He was going to try to get revenge if he had lived, but I agree. I wish they hadn’t killed them. I think he sealed his fate though, the moment he used something grown from the earth to try to do what he did.~ I didn’t say anything more but snuggled closer into my lover’s arms and soon fell back to sleep, wrapped in her arms, her love and her soothing thoughts.

 © 2013 Amethyst Gibbs

Image by Andree Wallin at http://andreewallin.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24

up
204 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Itari

Sadarsa's picture

Sounds like Itari wasn't compleately happy with the mercy that was showen to Halan's family and felt a bit more justice needed meted out. Especially since she knew the full extent of their plot.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Not happy at all

Amethyst's picture

No she wasn't. The three would have been caught and killed my the mob eventually so Itari wasn't so much interfering as speeding things along. Given the nature of the plot against one of her favored mortals and the country of Azure which she has a vested interest in and the fact they used something grown from the earth, her own domain, to try and do it she was not happy at all with them receiving only the loss of their lands and status. Especially since Halan clearly desired revenge when Alex bested him.

She only wants the females of the Misalet line on the throne and anyone who tries to take the throne my force or by plots such as this get whatever they deserve. The land itself will turn against them.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

he sealed his own fate

but she's lucky he didnt use the ring. Where did it go?

DogSig.png

The one ring

Amethyst's picture

It was probably still somewhere on him if he didn't lose it during his swim. It might show up later at some point but it's most likely that Itari has had a hand in burying the bodies and thus the ring so it can no longer be used. But since the ring was most likely created so that the wearer would obey Halan it would be useless now anyway.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Growl!

terrynaut's picture

That was upsetting but at least the slimy family got what they deserved - in my opinion.

I like how Alex and her friends and family handled everything.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

I agree

Amethyst's picture

I hate putting my characters through things like this and as the author I took great satisfaction on making sure they got what they really deserved. Alex herself is too fair and noble to allow that to happen as she and those close to her tend to hold themselves to a higher moral standard.

Sadly though power games and attempted coups are far too normal in the ranks of the nobility and this proves that not even Azure is an paradise, there are snakes waiting to take it away. I think Alex handled herself well though given the situation with no small thanks to Michelle of course :)

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

And thus did a House fall from Grace...

But that leaves us with a situation that didn't happen all *that* often in history, to my limited knowledge: who to replace them with? That's going to be a pretty big question, as the nobles were the ones that acted in place of the royalty on a semi-local level.

Quite a gripping chapter this time around. I loved it and I hope for more in the not too distant future.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

loved this story cant wait

loved this story cant wait tell the next instalment

~belle~

belle

Goddess

Elsbeth's picture

Cannot say I'm surprised, their fate was sealed as soon as he used a plant to try and take advantage of her. As the saying goes, 'she and the land are one' . Cant imagine the goddess was none to happy. Good story.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Alexis is amazing!

She showed great restraint in dealing with Halan. Her actions were befitting that of a Princess. I'm really enjoying reading this story Amethyst, your doing such a great job with it! Thank you! (Hugs) Taarpa

We must see a Drakan!

Yallah ! It is torment to not cast my eyes on the vissage of a glorious Drakan! Wallah, this is such torment!

Gwendolyn

I'm so happy

Amethyst's picture

that so many people are enjoying this. I would love to see what other people imagine Drakans to look like since I only know them in my own mind. If I had the time and talent I would draw the story out in a webcomic or graphic novel.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Drakan's, The Ancient Gates

I just googled it and what I got is a truly fearsome creature. The one I am looking at is about 18 feet tall, with about a 40 foot wing span. Two legs, two arms and two wings, and can stand erect. It has very nice tail also.

:)

Gwendolyn

Pretty close

Amethyst's picture

to how I had them pictured but mine don't all have wings and they get up to 60 feet long from nose to the tips of their tails with wing spans of up to 45 feet.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Yikes!

First of all, the plot by Halan's family to effectively usurp the throne - including the ring which (mercifully) didn't get used.

It was a fortituous combination of Alex's quick thinking, her skills as both healer and empath, her connection to Michelle plus Michelle's reaction that saved the day.

As for the mob justice - only partially regrettable, but in the circumstances justified, as no doubt if they'd still been around, they could have either attempted again or given advice to potential future usurpers. The brutal nature of what happened to them should serve as a strong message against anybody else stupid enough to try usurping the throne.

As for what Drakans look like - given their description and the sound of their species name is similar to that of "dragon"...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Yup

Amethyst's picture

All her skills and having Michelle in her head really helped Alex out of a situation that likely would have ended badly for her and probably all of Azure as well. Hopefully others will learn not to underestimate her or mess with her again after this.

And yes Drakans are very much like Dragons ;)

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Halan's action sealed

his entire family's fate. How often did he succeed before this???

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Modern day Loving this!

uuur At least for 2019 readers. : }

alissa

Reading through it again...

What Alexis decreed was that the family would be watched, and any further transgressions would lead to the lands and titles being stripped.

I don't really have a problem with the Queen changing that to stripping the titles immediately, but I do have a problem with her attributing it to Alexis.

Something to think about when bending light. A laser is light that's bent - so that all of one colour moves in a straight line. Fly high above a Zeppelin, probably containing hydrogen, and concentrate light from a space about 100 feet across into a pinpoint on the bag.

ZZZZiiiippp. Foomph!

Even better? It won't really be visible to those around, if the focus is on infrared or ultraviolet.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.