'Life's a Bitch' - Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

bigstockphoto_Silhouette_With_Clipping_Path__640380.jpg

‘Life’s a bitch’ — Chapter 3
By Julie D Cole

Background : After the intro chapter describing current events in Hong Kong where michael awakes from a night of passion with a 'male' colleague the previous chapter gave the background of events leading up to his trip to Hong Kong. It explained how Michael was thrilled to be promoted and suddenly found that instead of taking on new responsibilities with financial benefit he was to be discarded and made redundant. Worse than that he was being passed over for Vanessa who he often baled out and who was taking advantage of the Company. whilst in shock Michael answered a call to Vanessas desk and was mistaken for her resulting in him being offered a moonlighting assignment by an agency that used other Companies employees with payments in cash and with chance of other benefits 'in kind.' stupid mistake requiring explanation of mistaken identity or chance to seek revenge? Well you would do the same in his/her shoes wouldn't you?

I was surprised at my own reaction. Surely I wasn’t so desperate for the sake of five thousand pounds. I almost blurted out that this wasn’t Vanessa it was me. I’m not even a woman so why did she think it was Vanessa and what on earth was this about. Was Vanessa working freelance on the side?

I didn’t get chance to say anything anyway. to ‘You can collect from my PA. She’ll have the job briefing and the cash advance ready for you by 2pm if you stop by. I’ll be in the City for an appointment so I’m not available. Can you get away for a few days?’

She must be working for herself in Company time and small wonder I had to bale her out so often. She wasn’t dizzy after all, just busy feathering her own nest. Yet I was redundant and she was taking over my department. I wanted to tell this woman it wasn’t Vanessa and I cleared my throat to try to speak in a deeper voice. I guess she’d not picked up that she was speaking to someone else and that I was not even the same sex. Did she know Vanessa? Was this a hoax?

‘Err look, there is a problem here I think….’..’

‘Come on Vanessa make your mind up I’m in a hurry. Things to do, people to see honey. Do you want the job or not?’

‘Er yes, I do but..’

‘But what. Come on please. I’m stuck and if you want to keep on our register you can’t pick and choose. You have to take a few sicky days or leave and keep this confidential. I can get into trouble just like you if anybody finds out I’ve taken this assignment through my own company.’

That made up my mind. Why should I worry I’d been kicked out and if the the swines think Vanessa is better than me then they deserve everything that comes to them.

‘Sorry Tracey. Yes I’m OK but I’m in a bit of a difficult situation just now since I can’t get to your office yet I’m just going out myself to meet a client. He’s a bit of a hunk so I’m sure you understand. I don’t want to miss the chance of a bit of excitement on a Monday afternoon after the weekend I’ve had. You know how it is.’

‘Well Vanessa you’ll certainly do well for us if you like to mix a bit of pleasure with work and I don’t blame you. If you got it dear then flaunt it,that’s what I say. But you need to sort out the collection since I don’t have time. Are you OK since you sound off colour.’

‘Sorry my throat is a bit sore today you know how it is dear. Some guys just won’t be satisfied with regular sex. Sometimes you have to finish them and last night it was a bigger job than I expected.’

‘Oh My God. Vanessa dear you’ll have to tell me all about it when we meet. Spare me the details for now and we’ll arrange to meet up when you are back. I have my eye on a couple of young guys in the office who need breaking in. Look I gotta run so what do you suggest. Can you send anybody around?’

I thought about my options and to hell with it. I knew what to do. ‘look let’s make it a bit later and I might drop around myself but can your PA send the details to a reliable friend in the office and he’ll let me know.’

So within 10 minutes the address and contact details came to my computer and I acknowledged.

I sat back and thought about what had happened. Did she really think she was talking to Vanessa? I turned to Jacqui who had been listening and knew there had been some sort of mix up. She was smiling.

‘She thought I was Vanessa and you wouldn’t believe what the bitch is up to. I don’t have a high pitched voice do I.’

‘A bit on the high side but it happens.’

‘But she had no doubt for some reason. How strange.’

‘I wouldn’t worry about it but it’s not a surprise if you were connecting with a guy last night. I didn’t realise you were into men.’

‘Jacqui I made it up. It seems our Vanessa is not only moonlighting but she is enjoying herself. I might have made her sound worse than she really is but she needs a lesson or too.’

‘Well just be careful’.

I tidied up my things into a cardboard box and looked around. Vanessa had left her business cards and company security badge and tag. For some reason I put them in the box and then said my goodbyes, handed in my badge and tag and headed home.

No thanks or special fuss despite all that I’d done. I was history and I would have to pick up my cheque tomorrow as a visitor.

By the time I arrived back to the apartment I’d more or less decided I would pick up the job brief and the cash. I hadn’t quite decided how I’d do it though. They might want to see my passport.

There was a note from Amy and a message on the answer phone from her. She’d had to go home to sort some domestic problems out and would be in touch.

All alone and now nobody to share a bottle of Frascatti with. What a crap day. I ripped off the shirt and trousers. Some benefit they were. I looked at myself in the mirror. What a whimp. Why didn’t I stand up for myself. What was the point of tears.

I decided to freshen up and went to the bathroom. It was a mess as usual since Amy never cleared anything away.

Make-up everywhere, tights and pants hanging from the towel rail. Bra on the windowsill rather than in the wash basket and skirt and vest that she’d obviously decided were not appropriate to travel in. I ran the bath and started to tidy up.

I’d decided to make a plan whilst I soaked. I used some of Amys bath crystals since no bath foam to be seen. She’d obviously taken it with her. I removed my underwear and put a foot in the water. Too hot.

I turned and looked in the mirror whilst stirring the water waiting for the safe temperature. Mmm I even looked girly with my hair hanging loose so I used one of Amys discarded scrunchies to tie it back to a pony tail. Even more girly. I was about to step into the bath when I spotted a lipstick. What would I look like with make-up? No I shouldn’t. But then I just had to try.

By the time I’d finished experimenting the water was cold. I turned on the hot tap and finally stepped in to soak and put my head under the water to wash off the make-up. I’d looked too much like a girl and maybe I should have a hair cut.
Then it hit me. I could probably pass as Vanessa if to collect the cash and the job brief. But dare I do it and what if they challenged me?

To be continued….

up
155 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

One step closer....

Andrea Lena's picture

...in Cesare Paciotti black four-inch heel pumps? Love this story. Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

4" heels and more

Are a must. What else? Let's see what's in the wardrobe. Maybe not CR's but hope to find something to that can add to the femininity.
Your fashion sense and style is very helpful. Could do with you in the story to help.
Jules

Jules

I like it when a plan comes together...

So what if it wasn't planned and life was falling apart. I hear a woman can have fun in a way a man can't.

Hugs, Jessie

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Amazing how a long soak

can help the thought process to bring a plan together. I'm all ears if you want to feed in what you heard. i'm sure you are right and women always get the best deal as far as I hear.
Jules

Jules

Thank you Julie,

As always ,your 'cliffhanger' will be worth waiting for---a lovely story
and I will not hazard a guess as to where you will take us,but it will be
enjoyable.

ALISON

Glad you liked the story

It's different and the start was a bit different. Hope it is not too slow in the build up. I hope I can take you to some situations that are popular.
Jules

Jules

I'm a little confused

Angharad's picture

(I know, it's my age) but didn't our hero(ine) start off dressing en femme and having a romp in the hay with some bloke to spite Vanessa? So why the surprise that they look female with makeup on prior to the bath?

Angharad

Maybe I confused you

Chapter 2 & 3 are telling the background in the lead up to the experience in Hong Kong that is in the first chapter.

Jules

Jules

Gotcha

Angharad's picture

see when it's explained I can do joined up thinking (nearly). It's to do with me being on the bonzipaws.

Angharad

Joined up thinking

I thought it might be better to add a brief synopsis in Chapter 1 since it must have confused a few people who couldn't see much of a story. Hopefully with your joined up thinking and my joined up writing I can make this story work as well as 'One of the girls' did for me. At least it got me to 10,000 kudos.
jules

Jules

One of the problems

Angharad's picture

in writing serials is readers forgetting what went on before, and with something like Bike, as I might resurrect things from six years before (just to see who's awake) it can really test the patience/enthusiasm of the reader. Fortunately Bike readers have super tolerance and patience, they'd have to, 2100 episodes and nothing's happened yet.

Your synopsis sounds like good idea.

Angharad

'Life's a Bitch'

And then you become her! LOL! Keep'em comin' Jules! (Hugs) Taarpa