Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2025

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 2025
by Angharad

Copyright © 2013 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

We were lying together in the afterglow–well until something started oozing–right, too much information. I wanted Simon’s suggestion on how we could protect Mabel, who appeared to be our only witness. Sadly, by the time I got back from the bathroom Simon was lying on his back, mouth open doing his impression of a black hole. I put my cold hands on him, but he was too far gone to feel that–so there was only one thing I could do. You don’t want to know what, but it involved his dirty socks which were still reclining on the bedroom floor despite him promising to put them in the laundry hamper. He didn’t notice for probably two hours when he sat up and started coughing and spluttering–I was fast asleep, natch.

It was difficult to stay asleep the noise he was making scrubbing his teeth and gargling with mouth wash but I managed to keep up the pretence while he got back into bed. It was when he slapped my bum and I squealed he knew the culprit, so he slapped me again and I lay there giggling. Two hours sucking his dirty sock–hee hee.

“Bitch,” he said, then turned over and a short time later he was fast asleep again whereas I lost about half an hour–couldn’t stop giggling. “It’s not funny,” was his parting shot before he went off to dreamland again. I thought to the contrary, it was hilarious–it could do two things: make him put his dirty clothes in the proper receptacle; and possibly keep his mouth shut when he sleeps.

The next morning he was gone before I woke up, how he manages on so little sleep baffles me, but then his constitution is possibly the eighth wonder of the universe. He can be legless one night and still gets up for work the next day without a hangover. As far as I know he doesn’t drink so much these days but I do wonder about business lunches and he is showing a bit of middle aged spread.

I’ve been watching what I eat and drink–not that I have much alcohol–but I do like the odd fruit juice and loads of tea. There is of course the odd thing like chocolate, but it’s a well established fact that chocolate and ice cream contain no calories, so you can eat as much as you like–just don’t swallow.

It was a rush to get the girls to school, but I managed it, just and received their scorn for them being last into the building. It was building up to be one of those days. I arrived at the university to be told by Pippa that I had a committee meeting this evening and Jeff, one of our junior lecturers had gone sick–could I do a session on taxonomy–my answer? It’s classified–taxonomy? Forget it.

I suppose with the advances in DNA analysis it’s easier to know if species are related, but seeing as we share about forty per cent of ours with a banana or something, when you really start to analyse it, it becomes very different though shared sequences will occur–probably most living things share some sequences–after all, we all arose from similar ancestors in the primordial slime. Yeah–it has a lot to answer for.

Two hours is a long time to amuse the better part of a hundred sub-adults and I usually try to play games with them–as in my own classes. I got Neal to collect some sequences of different species and stick them on a slide and we had a bit of a quiz. That took up about twenty minutes, especially as the sequences were quite similar. We gave them a list of the species they came from and they had to guess which was which.

Then of course I went on to evolution, and would you believe it, we had a couple of creationists in the class. The world is no more than six thousand years old, that sort of stuff. Okay so they accept Archbishop Usher was wrong–but not his basic principle–how can you deal with this sort of fundies?

We argued about natural selection and about carbon dating–they accept neither. I tried to get them to understand that generally when things are found in deeper rocks it’s commonly accepted that they are older than the rocks on top, except where folding occurs–which is sometimes obvious–they have some wonderful stratification at Lulworth Cove in Dorset, where rocks have been folded. They also have a petrified forest of the remains of giant fern trees.

The rest of the class seemed to side with me but those two held their ground, not being intimidated by force of numbers or by slide after slide of evidence we have to show the dinosaurs happened millions of years before humans, and that humans had ancestors in the hominids of up to three million years ago–modern humans appearing somewhere about forty thousand years ago, which is seven times longer than our two dissenters agreed.

I wondered if Jeff had gone sick with stress from teaching these two, because I actually asked them outright, “Why are you doing a biology degree when you don’t believe half the information we give you?”

They apparently wanted to see the evidence for themselves so it enabled them to refute it. I asked them for their evidence and they waved a Bible at me. ‘All the evidence I’d ever need.’ I was still bouncing off the ceiling when I went to lunch with Tom.

“What’s this committee meeting I have to attend?”

“The university scientific standards committee.”

“What?”

“It makes sure we’re all above board and not tormenting too many of your tree rats.”

“Like an ethical committee?”

“More encompassing than that–Pippa has the back numbers of minutes–better read some this afternoon instead of sleeping in that office of yours.”

“Sleeping! I saved your bacon this morning by teaching Jeff Small’s class.”

“Oh aye, whit wis that aboot?”

“Taxonomy and evolution.”

“Aye–nae problems?”

“Only two fundies who believe in Adam and Eve.”

“Oh aye,” he said but his eyes twinkled.

“You knew that didn’t you?”

“Meee?” he said, then burst out laughing.

“Bastard,” I hissed at him though it lost its sting when all he did was laugh.

“Ye were getin’ tae complacent, wi’ ye ecology superstardom–ye needed some testing.”

“I see, and did I pass?”

“Oh aye.”

“I’ve a good mind to leave you to walk back this afternoon.” We arrived in my car.

“Oh aye? An wit wull ye tell thae dean aboot ma absence?”

“Bugger.”

“Cathy, ye’re an inspirational teacher but we all need tae be kept on wir mettle. Ye’re still awfy guid.”

“You set me up, didn’t you?”

“Yes an’ no, Jeff went sick and ye we’re most available.”

So it was after lunch when my addled brain thought of Mabel again and how to try and protect her. I sent an email to Kit, who said he’d had someone interview her and take a statement. He was also seeing if they could transfer to a nursing home for convalescence–the bank apparently has shares in one–why doesn’t that surprise me?

He’d also received an email from Stella, and his team were amassing data about our least favourite ward sister. Seems there no shortage of volunteers, though we could only use things we could verify and that would take some time. If she went to court, we’d have to ask for a postponement which shouldn’t be a problem. If only ten per cent were true, she was in deep doo-doo.

At least someone was on the top of their game even if I wasn’t.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
229 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I hope Mabel is ok...

I hope Mabel is ok, not just for her sake but for Cathy's. She really doesn't need to deal with the legal side effects of another of her enemies mysterious and very timely lack of a pulse.

Great as always!

Thank you!

Abby

Battery.jpg

Top of their game

I thought Cathy was always on top of her game. Liked the dirty socks solution.

my answer? It’s classified—taxonomy

had to laugh at that one.

I live in Texas, too often I hear the same argument - "If the bible says it, it must be true."

Sorry, its a rather circular argument to use the written version of your mythology to "prove" that your mythology must be correct. A little real evidence and a few actual facts would be helpful. I enjoy the argument put forth here a while ago about the "Flying Spaghetti Monster." Hey, there is a written "gospel" so if a written gospel exists, what's in it must be true. Right? I suppose you could say the same for the Koran or for the Bhagavad Gita (Hare Krishna) therefore both of those religions must be true too. Hmm... we seem to have a few too many religions, all of which are proven correct by the books that describe them.

What's that other one?

You know, the one started by that science fiction religious leader? Based on Battlefield Earth? Erm, wait, wrong book...

And what is wrong with the FSM? /pout

Yeah, scientology...

And I don't think there is any thing at all wrong with FSM. It's about the only one that will freely admit that there is no proof that it is correct... of course there is no proof that it's wrong either. :-)

Stella is helping

Kit with evidence to that will not be good for Brenda. Seems like she is the typical bully, just keeping on even when she is beaten, as she was by Cathy. Well, Cathy told her what the results would be, but somehow I feel she is still keeping on, and now carrying a grudge against Cathy. I just hope Kit and Co. get Mabel safely to a nursing home before Brenda can get to her.

Now let's see, installment 10,000 less 2025 (this installment) leaves only 7,975 to go to reach the next plateau.

GO ANGHARAD! You are up to it!!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

I've said it before ...

I've said it in the last chapter and I'll say it again. Mabel needs proper protection. It's just too easy to harm an old in hozzy.

As to the creationalists, well the less said the better, the more done the better. A field trip down to Lulworth cove or Lavernock point followed by an unfortunate accident beneath the sea clffs might just sort out the biblical idiots.

bev_1.jpg

Wouldn't it be easier

If the bank just bought the hospital? Seems to work with everything else.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

BRAINLESSNESS

That is voluntary can not be cured, but we can have fun at there expense. The only reason they can hold on to this is because it costs them nothing to do so. My opinion is to ask the person if they hold the belief of creationism. If so only give them the originally developed penicillin not any of the stuff used to fight the bugs that have evolved since it's development. When it does not work have them admit they were wrong to be administered the evolved product.

Yes I am in a mood, a very ironic bad mood, I need chocolate badly.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Do Me A Favour

Anyone who believes in anything needs to ask themselves some serious questions. Where do we get our information from? The sensory organs evolution has given us. Can we trust it? Most of the time, yes. It's kept our species going for millions of years, so it must be fairly reliable.

But as a guide to ultimate reality? Do me a favour.

Look at the evidence. It's all we have to go on. Science allows me to send you this message. Creationism allows you to debate it.

I'll leave it up to you to decide which hypothesis has made the greater contribution.

Bugger it, this was aimed at the thread, not you, Misha Nova.

Ban nothing. Question everything.

Cathy just learned a lesson

in humility that the abusive ward sister needs. Why i she a bully? Will the Shekinah Glory want Cathy to help her?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I'm glad...

I'm glad I didn't have to deal with those two kids who apparently were there for only one reason - to harass the teacher.

While I can envision a way where "creationism" could work... (Superior being and all that...) I don't see any benefit in following that approach as it's not testable (and if memory serves we're not to "test" the lord). The theory of evolution is at least testable, and can be used to come to a greater understanding of the world we live on (& in) how it works. (Seems to me, learning more about the world that was "created" would be a good thing.) *shrugs* preaching to the choir as it were... I suspect.

As to cleaning up socks... Cathy's approach wouldn't have worked for our kids. Neither slept THAT soundly.

Interesting episode. Thanks. (BTW - Wondering how the committee meeting ends up going...)

Thanks,
Annette

Evolution vs Creationism

The main point of argument between these is the calendar. Is the Creator working with our calendar or his? It would only be man's egotism that would insist that the Creator uses one of our calendars. Would it be the Gregorian, the Julian, Mayan, Chinese, Jewish, or some other?

To the Creator, how long is a day? I don't believe that he went zap and there was light, zap again and the water was divided from the land, etc. I think he has more class and imagination than that. Genesis was written in words that the people of the time could understand.

The questions of Earth's history are here to make us question and inquire. Life itself is too interesting to be otherwise.

The fundies are just too narrow minded to consider there are other possibilities.

Much Love,

Valerie R

Simon wants too

think himself lucky, I'm sure socks are not the only things he drops on the floor...

Maybe Cathy could help make sure Mabel is nice and safe, Surely a house as big as Cameron Towers can find her a bed for short while...

Sneaky way for Tom to make sure Cathy has not allowed any fame she has go to her head, Although living with her family would surely prevent that ever happening....

Kirri