Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2004

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 2004
by Angharad

Copyright © 2013 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The weekend had passed and Stella was to have the use of a Vauxhall Corsa, a GM made car–do they have genetically modified cars in the US or genitally modified as Trish once called it. It was to be delivered on Monday, so when I got up on Monday, Si and Sam had gone to work and Stella was standing round peering through the kitchen window instead of helping feed the bus loads of starving infants we had queuing behind her.

I did manage to sort my lot out and because Phoebe used the moped thing, I somehow got Danny as well as the three mouseketeers in the car and out to school. This was his first day back after his ordeal and I begged him not to get involved in any fights if anyone said anything negative about him, Peter or even Billie.

“Mum, if they say anything nasty about Billie I’ll bust their mouths.”

“Where will that get you?”

“No one bad mouths my sister–no one.”

I appreciated his feelings but tried to explain him lashing out would do nothing to help anything. It’s hard to put an older head on young, testosterone driven shoulders. I gave him some money for his lunches, kissed him and watched him enter the school. He had his phone with him and I told him to phone and I’d come and get him if things got too bad.

He didn’t phone, mind you Stella’s car didn’t happen either. I collected the girls who sat squabbling in the car while we waited for Danny to exit school. He wasn’t expecting us and walked straight past the car, until Trish poked her head out the window and called him back.

He claimed things were okay so I accepted what he said, then had to listen to the squabble all the way home from the back of the car. Someone had taken someone else’s perfume stick–girls!

In the end I was glad to get them to bed before I sat down to watch the hour of red herring spawning they call, Broadchurch; a whodunit which stars David Tennant as the copper investigating the murder of a young teenage boy whose body is found on the beach. The beach just happens to belong to the Chesil Beach, which is a bit to the west of us in darkest Dorset. I happen to know that bit of the world quite well, and watching David T is always satisfying even if I’m waiting for the Tardis to appear at any moment.

I watched the penultimate programme no nearer solving the mystery and suspecting everyone in the town even if they had an alibi. If nothing else they’m all guilty o’ murd’rin’ a Darzit accent.

Having watched it I was about to suggest to the snoozing Simon that we went up to bed when the news came on and I was astonished to hear they’d had a bombing at the Boston Marathon. My blood ran cold but I suspected it wasn’t the usual suspects it was too clumsy.

I nudged Simon who took a few moments to come round and then he like me, watched it with a sense of disgust and disappointment–it was such a futile thing to do and achieved nothing except pain and grief of people who probably had nothing to do with whatever the bombers were upset about. However, that wouldn’t stop the bombers seeing them as legitimate targets. Wonderful the human brain–it can justify anything it wants to however unreasonable that may be to everyone else. I’m tempted to say just think of religion but then we go round in circles–although the majority of outrages seem to be justified on the grounds of politics or religion, with just occasionally–the voices made me do it.

We went to bed tired and saddened by the news report, and when they mentioned the Thatcher funeral and the London Marathon later in the week, it made everything seem even more futile than usual. However, the people organising the security for both events seemed to think everything was in hand–and they had just carried out a successful Olympiad, so they are probably correct.

I had the feeling that it the marathon bombing was carried out by local lunatics but I couldn’t say why or who. All I knew was that the FBI would be involved in a huge investigation where money would be no object, especially if they caught the perps.

On the Tuesday, I felt tears in my eyes when I discovered one of the victims was an eight year old who’d gone to watch his daddy run. How can some lunatic with a bomb justify killing that child? They couldn’t and I felt a mixture of sadness and anger. Then I heard some young woman of twenty three had killed her three babies and jumped off a multi-storey garage to her own death after a squabble with her boyfriend. The world was getting more absurd by the hour. I was tempted to go outside and check I was in the right house or perhaps that should have been, the right planet.

After taking the kids to school, I came home to discover Bramble had caught her first mouse and that Kiki had helped her kill it. The bad news was the mouse was the radio mouse from my computer which lay in bits covered in dog spit. I called the local computer chap who had a spare one which he’d keep for me and I’d collect on the way to get the girls.

There was no point in berating the dog or cat, the former doesn’t seem to understand she’s doing wrong when caught red pawed, and the second is simply a psychopath like most cats who don’t do wrong and who are simply mystified by the stupidity of humans to not understand their need to do as they wish at all times.

I almost apologised to the cat for not buying a mouse which was more easily killed, while thinking about designing one which delivered electric shocks when she tried to do so. Instead I sprayed oil of citronella around my desk–it might reduce her desire to go there–well it stopped her weeing under the stairs.

After lunch, the promised Corsa arrived and Stella was much taken by the light blue metallic paint and even more so by the young chap who delivered it, so much so she was still pleading ignorant of how to change gear on the windscreen wipers so necessitating further tuition from the delivery man. I left her to it when I went to collect my mouse and then the trio of nun-catchers.

Having collected my replacement piece of hardware, I drove to the school wondering if it was worse to be Trish trying to hold herself back when she considered the nuns were lying about things they clearly didn’t understand and she did, or being a nun facing an unbridled intellect from someone so young. As a teacher I can think of nothing worse than being told I was wrong then losing the subsequent argument because the child quotes chapter and verse the reasons for her case and its evidence. I should think anyone trying to explain the Creation to her must be heartily sick of quotations from Professor Brian Cox, the particle physicist at Manchester University, and who Trish dotes on even more than I do on Dawkins.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
191 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I am sorry to have forgoten my

part of the deal, you write amazing things, and I should take the time to comment and let you know you did. You do every day and I am saddened by my lackadaisical attitude, for you do entertain me everyday. Thank you it really does mean so very much too me, well all of us. Thank you so very much.

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Boston

littlerocksilver's picture

Maybe this thing is drawing to a momentary close. Unfortunately, it will never be fixed. We will probably never really know why.

Portia

Boston

Two brothers from Chechnya, oldest brother killed in a shootout with the police early this morning. The younger brother is as of this posting has been found and is hiding in a covered boat in a backyard. The police want him alive so they are going to attempt to wait him out.

All done

Suspect is now in custody.

lunacy in the world

but the EAFOAB episode is here. enjoyed the mouse battle and always enjoy Trish's attempts to argue science vs magic.

Surely ...

... the whole point of EAFOAB IS its lunacy!

Robi

lunacy in the world

but the EAFOAB episode is here. enjoyed the mouse battle and always enjoy Trish's attempts to argue science vs magic.

The dark ages

D. Eden's picture

As long as there are religious organizations that are run by men trying to keep the rest of the population in ignorance and subservient, then we will have terror like that which occurred in Boston this week.

Most of the major religions in the world, Islam, Christianity (especially the Catholic Church), Judaism, and Othodoxy (both Greek and Russian), are basically set up to maintain the world in the dark ages. Look at the way they dress. Look at the way they treat women. They profit by keeping a large portion of the world's population in uneducated ignorance - a perpetual dark ages.

Until that changes, there will always be events like the one in Boston because there will always be ignorant people willing to do whatever they are told by a "leader".

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Remember, Dallas

At this point we don't know what the actual motivation was behind what these two men did. There is a lot of speculation, but that's all it is - Speculation. Personally I want facts before I make up my mind


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Jefferson

D. Eden's picture

If you want to quote Jefferson, my favorite has always been, "One man's rights end when they infringe upon another's."

It's a good lesson for all of us.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

No, Dallas

I'm quite happy with the quote I'm using. As for rights, having an opinion does not overrule the right of another to disagree.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Poor wee mouse...

To be undone by the dastardly scheming of a kitten! Oh, the ignominy!

Thanks for another great episode!

Abby

Battery.jpg

Poor Innocent Mouse,

At least it gave it's existence for the amity between Brambles and Kiki. :)

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I Really Like Trish !

Trish reminds me of what I used to be like at school. I am nowhere near as clever as her of course, but I did have one advantage over all the other kids, and teachers. I had an Uncle who refused to go into the military during WW2 because he was a Conciencious Objector, and he taught me to read when I was 3. It all happened in one afternoon, he had been reading the newspaper out loud to my Mummy, as she worked in the kitchen, and he said "It says here that.... " Ever curious, like most kids at 3, I came over and asked "Where does it say that?" and he showed me the printed words and how to see what they said. I guess it must have been my very first window of opportunity opening moment, as I was totally into this reading thing, it was like magic. So I wandered off to the public library, and signed on and got books out, and read them.

Once a child has learned to read everything is an open book for it. So there still are some kids like Trish, who may not even be geniuses, but are precocious at least. Trish is lucky, she does not get picked on and bullied by the others because of her being ahead of them. Is that because the school is run by Nuns or because the other kids are higher class ?

Whatever it is, Trish seems to have the ability to blend in with other kids, and for this I do admire her. Wish I had been able to do that. But Catherine was bullied at school too, which makes Trish even more remarkable. Anyway, she is lovely, and funny as well as bright. Thank you Angharad for creating her.

Briar

Trish.... and

another child who may almost as smart as Trish!

And that is Meems! So what if she has a speech impediment! Is someone going to not want her in the story because of that? I certainly hope not, because this story, and the site itself, is one of accepting others as they are, and not the way we want them to be.

And I agree with Briar! Thank you for creating ALL the characters, good or bad, that have been in this story! And if indeed Meems does turn out be another Trish, then God bless the child, and help the rest of the family, especially Cathy to cope with everything successfully.

To me, Meems is showing signs of being another Trish. Is it because she is around Trish so much, or is she really another super intelligence in the Cameron household?

Great Episode Ang, Bonz and Whizz! Let the good times roll!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Really Cathy! Think of what you just thought!

"Wonderful the human brain—it can justify anything it wants to however unreasonable that may be to everyone else. I’m tempted to say just think of religion but then we go round in circles—although the majority of outrages seem to be justified on the grounds of politics or religion, with just occasionally—the voices made me do it."

And your brain, Cathy, is justifying something that is obvious to most of the rest of your domicile - The existence and power of the source of the Blue Light, your ability to see what others have and need for good health, and the Goddess Herself. Your brain is wrong, Dr. Catherine Watts, PH.D. Please accept that which is oh! so obvious to everyone else!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm