Avatar - Beachhead Ch1

Printer-friendly version

 

Chapter One: The only way is down.

Fanfiction concept by Elizabeth Jean, Written by Elizabeth Jean in conjunction with Sleethr.

Thanks go to RubblerJohn and Djkauf  for they're assistance in proofing and editing.

 

 

<20-SEP-2169: ISV0014 Leviathan in Geosync Orbit: Alpha Centauri A: Gas giant Polyphemus: Near the moon of Pandora >

 

 

 

Cryotech Specialist Michael Ryans checked his schedule for the twentieth time.

He was slightly behind schedule and needed to make up time with reviving the meat Popsicles.  He checked the name on his list against the name on the readout.

“Yep, Sergeant Morgan, James, serial number 929342 is next.” He muttered to himself as he entered the revival command into the control pad on the cryo chamber.

“Urg” My tongue felt like a dusty wash rag and not a clean one either as I began to stir from my extended nap in cryosleep. I was in two minds about this mission, part of me was excited, the other terrified; hell every mission had risks but nothing like those on Pandora. I could hardly believe I had been sleeping in cryo for the past six years since being assigned to this mission. Pandora, they say Hell’s a vacation spot compared to it.  A wild untamed world, where nearly everything wants to kill or eat you, sometimes both.

Of course we’ve all heard the horror stories, most people think the stories are just that, not me, as far as I’m concerned and until I learn otherwise, I was going to be ready for anything. My contract was for six months and after that, I was done. I’d been a marine long enough to know that I needed to leave before the job killed me.

It wasn’t as though there was much choice of career, further education was out; my parents weren’t exactly wealthy. Don’t get me wrong we weren’t poor either, but further education was out for me. I let my sister have what our parents saved for me. Hell, she was the smart one; the one who had the drive to succeed.  That drive allowed her to study xenobiology and get a good job, something not many can do on Earth.

To allow that to happen for my sister, I joined the US Marine Corps, semper fi, straight out of school. I did the required tours that let me ‘enjoy’ several conflicts including Venezuela and Zimbabwe just to name two. Earth sucked and people sucked even more. After what I saw in Venezuela, I wanted out. So, I signed my name in blood and joined the Resources Development Administration, or RDA, in the hopes of joining a team going to Pandora. I’d grown up with stories of Pandora and regardless of the danger, I was fascinated.

>
I volunteered for this mission for several reasons. First and foremost was obviously for the pay. Second, was for the education benefits. Sure, the Corp had some education benefits, but nothing like the benefits of the RDA. The RDA provided a full ride through one of their highly rated universities. The third and largest incentive to join the RDA in my line of work was for the medical. Unlike the U.S. Marines, the RDA would regrow your legs if they got blown off and that was  very important to me.  I did not want to end up in a wheel chair. Finally, I wanted to see something other than Earth.  It should not come as a surprise that the discovery of Pandora and its exotically beautiful and humanoid people, the Na’vi, had excited people back home.

The discovery of the rare mineral, Unobtainium on Pandora paradoxically fuelled both the greed and the protective nature of humanity. The RDA wanted to mine the Unobtainium without restriction while many people on earth wanted to make sure that the Na’vi were protected from the greedy RDA.  Thus, the Interplanetary Commerce Administration, or ICA was grudgingly tasked by the UN with insuring that the RDA abided by the treaty that limited weapons of mass destruction and the use of military force against the primitive and mostly peaceful Na’vi.  That worked well until several hundred soldiers and personnel arrived back from Pandora after being evicted by the natives, the Na’vi.

It was a few years until a new mission to Pandora could be planned. It took that long for the public to forget how badly the RDA screwed up. Now, the new and improved, yeah right, RDA had a new mission to Pandora and I was stupid enough to volunteer to help create the beachhead they needed to ‘peacefully’ retake Pandora.  Has there ever been a peaceful recapture of previously lost ground?

“You okay there, Sergeant Morgan?” The Specialist asked, looking concerned as he politely tapped me on my arm.

I assumed that he was more worried about me going into shock from the cryosleep treatment than about my state of mind. His touch roused me from my reverie. “Yeah, sorry. I assume that we’ve arrived?” I asked.

He politely grinned at my statement of the obvious. “Yes sir, we’ve just established geosynchronous orbit around Polyphemus.”

I floated up as the Specialist released the restraints holding me down; zero-G is a pain in the ass when you’re still drowsy from cryo. I let the “sir” insult go. I felt too out of it to remind him that I worked for a living. After I retrieved a fresh kit from my locker, I swiftly made my way to the head to shit, shower and shave in time for the briefing. Twenty minutes later, I felt human enough to make my way to the already packed briefing room.

“Glad you could make the time to join us, Sergeant Morgan.” Colonel Hackwork said, sarcastically as I entered the briefing room.  The others in the room smirked at my misfortune.

Asshole. I hated him already. He had to know that I was one of the last ones woken from Cryosleep and that the techs were behind schedule.

“Yes sir, sorry sir.” I said as I played the game and nodded acceptance of his rebuke while I navigated to an open seat next to my old platoon buddy, Ramirez.  Six months. I repeated that mantra to myself. Six months and I was done with the bullshit, forever.

“Don’t worry about the old man; he’s had a stick up his ass since he woke up.” Ramirez said with a conspiratorial whisper as I took the seat next to him.

“Somethin’ ya care to share there, Corporal Ramirez?” Colonel Hackwork asked.

“Er… no sir.”

“Then pay attention, as I was saying, you will be some of the first people back on Pandora. Your primary objective is to find a way to secure the Hell’s gate command complex.” Colonel Hackwork aimed his laser pointer at the map of the Area of Operations displayed on the primary screen. “The Intel we have at this point indicates the area directly around the command site is inhabited by the natives, the…Na’vi.” He said with a note disdain.

Colonel Hackwork manipulated the map until it zoomed in on the command center. “According to satellite surveillance, the complex is shut down. We assume the natives led by Sully shut it down when the RDA occupying forces were expelled, with this in mind, command has decided we stand a better chance of several of you infiltrating the command complex as individuals rather than in teams.”

“Corporate would have liked to carpet bomb Pandora and put an end to this silly conflict.  However, as news of Pandora is so widespread and with the UN and ICA treaties prohibiting the use of such weapons, the bigwigs at Corporate decided that would cause a lot of bad publicity, especially after the last mission group was forced off world by the Natives becoming restless.”  Colonel Hackwork said with an expression that plainly displayed his disdain for our political shackles.

“If only the natives looked more inhuman...” Colonel Hackwork said, muttering just loud enough for the room to hear him as he shook his head with regret. “Sadly, both the UN and ICA has set up a special committee to monitor our actions and make sure this mission doesn’t become another Cluster-fuck.  Too many research divisions within governments and the RDA are hoping to get back on Pandora; those are the people who write your pay checks, so make every effort to complete your primary objective.”

“Your secondary objective is to secure any RDA outpost you come across, if you cannot secure it you are to destroy it, last thing we need is the enemy using our outposts against us. Make no mistake people, this will be a guerrilla style operation, you hit them hard and fast and then you get the hell out of Dodge. The more damage and confusion you create the better.”

I elected to keep my thoughts on that last order to myself because there was no way in hell that I was about to commit virtual suicide.  I would like to see the gung ho asshole try the old hit ‘em hard ‘n fast thing himself.  Getting the Na’vi all riled up was the last thing we needed to accomplish.  That would only make things harder for everyone.  Me, I intended to make like a ghost and not be seen by anyone.  Complete my assigned mission, do my six months and out. No muss, no fuss.

He changed slides to display a schematic for the Mark four single manned Deep Reconnaissance Operations Psionic Personal Operator Deployment vehicles, Drop Pod for short, I wondered if they had a whole department working to name this shit.  Although, I think we were all a bit shocked to realise that our human bodies would be living in that death trap for the next six months.

“These pods are all equipped with sonic repellers, this is to keep away the wildlife while you get mobile, I have been informed that linking to your Avatar can be...disorienting.  The sensations will be unusual and it will take time to become accustomed to them.  I mention this as those in single pods will not have support and you will need to be aware and make allowances for that.”

Disorienting? What in the hell does he mean? Am I going to be stumbling around like a drunk for the first minute or two?  That might be survivable, but what if that “disorientation” that he so casually mentioned is longer?

“Some of you will be in teams of two in the Mark five version in the hopes you can support each other.  The Sonic Repellers are included in your pods to but we hope being there for each other will help get you moving quicker.  Be aware this arrangement of human male driving a female Avatar and vice versa has never been attempted.” He paused as everyone in the room shifted uncomfortably in their seat. “Yes, I know, at times it will be stressful, but you need to keep focused on your mission objectives.”

This was actually the first time that we had all seen the Pods, as Command preferred to call them, but to me, they looked more like coffins.  Nothing but a smooth black tube with tracks on the side. No ports or visible hatches that we could look out of during our ‘vacation’.  Not that we would need to look outside since our Avatar body would be outside acting as our eyes and ears, but the thought of being trapped in that tin can was still a bit unnerving. That morbid thought almost made me miss what Colonel Hackwork had to say next about our mission.

“These pods will contain enough food, water, ammo and medical supplies to last six months on your own, be aware the single pods are 4 meters by 2 meters, cylindrical self contained units, to help you move them they have continuous tracks, the team pods are 4 meters by 4 meters, neither pod type has much room but team pods will be inserted further from the target area or populated zones.”

There was a muttering that rippled through the room.

“Quiet people listen up! Once on the ground you are to immediately roll your pod and move it to a location where it can be camouflaged. Once it is secure you are to begin reconnaissance. Don’t take unnecessary risks people, there are enough hazards on Pandora without you creating more, so stay low, keep off the enemy radar.”

“When you have a definite opening then take it but don’t get cocky.  To gain a foothold we need that facility, to get that facility we need you… alive, any questions?”

A marine at the front raised his hand.

“Jacobs?”

“Sir, Ahh, I was wondering about the reason why we’re going to be driving avatars of the opposite sex, sir?”

The colonel scanned the faces with disdain. “Did you not read the reports from the last mission to Pandora fifteen years ago?”

There were sounds around the room of people confirming those that had.

The colonel sighed “If you read the reports you’d realize we lost the fight with the Na’vi because one of our own decided he liked the native tail better than his own people’s women. If he’d done his job and kept his dick in his pants we wouldn't be having his lovely little chat. Sully cost us a great deal, many good men and women died that day, as well as losing us the resources we were mining.”

The last line with Sully’s name was ground out in anger; the Colonel paused trying to get his anger under control, shaking his head he continued.

“To put it bluntly Jacobs, as a man do you plan on getting all warm an’ cosy with a native Na’vi male?”

“Ah, fuck...Hell No!” Jacobs exclaimed looking sick at the mere thought; I had to agree that there was no way I’d even contemplate that.

“An’ that’s why you get to be all feminine like. Until you start painting your toenails and getting all goo-goo eyed over pictures of kittens, I wouldn’t let it bother you. Just do your jobs.”

There were snigger's all around the room.

"Any more obvious questions?" The colonel glanced around the room as if daring someone to ask another dumb question. "No, then the advance wave of pods is due to drop at oh six hundred. Check with Lieutenant Simmonds to verify your drop time. Dismissed!"

I watched as those assembled began to disperse after checking their scheduled drop times with the lieutenant.

“Hey Sarge, when they told us there’d be plenty of women, bet you never thought you’d be one of them?” Ramirez said as if the idea of being a blue alien chick was just Command's idea of a funny joke.

“Stow it, Ramirez.” I said, feeling annoyed with his attitude. Yeah, Ramirez and I go way back. I could count on him to watch my back, but the f’ing planet and its damned aliens were dangerous enough, that I did not need his jokes right now.

The idea of spending time up to my neck in shit, as some blue alien chick had to be the f’ing brain fart of some idiot pencil pushing asshat with more brains than combat experience.  Just how in the Hell does command expect a bunch of men and women to pass themselves off as native Na’vi men and women of the opposite sex?  Did the tinselled idiots upstairs even think about that little detail before they approved this cluster-fuck of an operational plan?

“Sergeant, you’re in the first group.” I looked up only to realize that, other than the lieutenant, I was the last to leave.

“See you in a few hours, Lieutenant.”

“Go grab some chow; you’ll be enjoying MRE’s soon enough.”

I considered the Lieutenant’s words as I floated in the direction of the mess, one of the only areas of the ship that always has gravity. I noticed several others huddled together and wondered if like me they would be first down.  MRE’s might not be great but if for any reason we’re on Pandora longer than six months, we might end up eating bugs let alone MRE’s.

I shuddered from the thought and was brought from my musing by the mess Sergeant.

“Hey Sarge, what can I get you?”

I looked at my choices and considered asking for an MRE when I saw Tapioca.

“I’ll have the stew followed by some fruit salad.”

I’ve always hated fried foods; most RDA soldiers will pack away a ton of fried food a day, and then wonder why they’re fat and unhealthy. If the food doesn’t kill you it’ll slow you down enough so that something else can.

I sat by myself as I slowly ate whilst contemplating what I was about to do. I never considered what it would be like to be female. I can honestly admit that the idea never once crossed my 100% all male mind.  Yet now, I find I cannot get the f’ing alien concept out of my head. To make matters worse, none of us have even been allowed to see the Na’vi avatar that we will be occupying for the next six months.

Just one more indication, that the idiots who came up with this ‘brilliant’ fucking idea could not find their way out of an empty room without a fucking GPS.  No, we will have to jump straight in and learn via on the job training, and even worse, the f’ing link units have been changed. We will be in our avatar 24/7 for nearly full duration while our real bodies are fed intravenously.  Hell, I can’t even step outside to take a piss like a real man

The new nourishment system allows a driver to spend long periods driving the avatar before they need to wake. From what I’d been told, the only reason to wake occasionally was to exercise to prevent muscle degradation, even that is aided by muscle stimulation systems built into the link unit.

If nothing else it’ll give me chance to be me again, I can’t even imagine what it’ll be like to be female twenty four/seven, at least there’s no chance I’ll go native, not if it means being a female.

After finishing my meal, I head to collect my kit bag so I could make my way to the designated hanger for first drop. I’m feeling nervous now, my guts are churning, I wish I’d not eaten. Too late now, I doubt the colonel will let me miss this drop.

“Sergeant, good to see you’re on time,” came from the colonel as I entered the launch bay.

I saluted and came to attention as he continued.

“You’ve been assigned pod three, inside you’ll find everything you’ll need to complete your mission, your tablet contains everything from topographical maps to the security codes needed to enter the command complex, you’ll also find all data we have at this current time on enemy movements. Keep it safe, sergeant, it’ll most likely save your life, be aware it’s been designed with the Avatars’ size in mind.”

Save my life, my ass, I wondered if the colonel believes the stories about Pandora, judging from his advice, I seriously doubted it.

“One other thing marine, if you cross paths with Jake Sully, he is to be considered a target of opportunity, understand?”

“Sir, yes sir.” I said as I considered exactly what the Colonel was asking me to do, should Sully cross my path, I was to use extreme force to remove him.  Thing is I remember Jake from way back, we served together in Venezuela, the idea of killing him did not sit well with me.  I at least wanted to know why he betrayed us and went native.

“Good now go and strap yourself in, the shuttle will leave in thirty minutes.”

I saluted before making my way into the Valkyrie shuttle to find pod three. Since I was in the first wave, my pod was easy to find. As I entered the pod, I found myself looking at the Amnio tank containing the Avatar I would be driving. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but a giant blue version of my sister was not it.

That was when I really realized this thing, this blue alien chick, was made from my DNA, it was part of me and I was not sure how comfortable that I was about that.  I felt even more uncomfortable by the fact that I was fighting an erection while I studied what was going to be me in just a few hours. Her body, I mean, my body, was extremely attractive in an exotic kind of way and I could almost understand why Jake Sully turned traitor and went native.

Those thoughts troubled me on multiple fronts because maybe the idiots were right about the gender switch thing. I could not imagine myself or any of my buddies falling for some Na’vi prince like Jake Sully did for his Na’vi princess. I distracted myself from those troubling ideas with my pre-combat routine of double checking all my equipment. After all, it was that equipment that I would have to depend on to survive on the hostile alien world below.

It did not take long to do the checks on my gear and get all my kit squared away. I prepared to enter my Psionic Link unit. Unlike the old Link Units, this Link Unit was designed for several functions. It would cushion and secure my body during the drop and after the drop, and it would link me to my avatar, finally it would keep my human body fed and watered whilst removing waste.

I had to be completely naked while in the Link unit, I shivered as I stripped hoping I’d be in my Avatar body when the Link unit automatically connected the feeding and waste systems.  Based upon my first briefing on Earth, as soon as I was down, the Amnio tank would drain and I would immediately be linked to my Avatar.

Once that was done, I would need to hide my pod, last thing I needed was for a native to locate it and kill my real body. The drop pod had some auto defences, but I could not count on those to keep me alive because if the secondary defence systems were activated, it meant that my cover was probably blown. My survival and mission success depended on my pod remaining well hidden and undiscovered by the Na’vi. If I had known that I would end up as a blue alien clone of my sister; I would have refused this mission. I should have learned my lesson about volunteering for crap when I enlisted in the Marines.

I’m jolted from my thoughts as I feel the shuttle leave the bay, I feel a weird sense of calm come over me, I guess it’s because there’s no turning back now, this is it. It’s do or die time, kill or be killed, there’s no point in worrying over what I can’t change.

The trip by shuttle feels like an eternity, I feel every vibration of the ship as it goes through atmospheric turbulence, at least I hope that’s what it is. Suddenly I feel like I’ve been shot out of a gun, I brace knowing my pod’s been launched and I’ll soon be somewhere on the ground. The pods are designed to withstand a crash but, God, I felt sick.

Just as I feel the pod hitting the ground my world turned upside down as I was pulled from my own mind, everything was blurry as I open my eyes. I panic as a glass chamber comes into focus and I realize I’m inside it. I close my eyes and calm my breathing as the chamber begins to open to the outside.

As I open my eyes I get my first glimpse of Pandora’s surface, my breath catches as I realize there are trees, lots of trees and plants of all kinds. I shake my head wondering with such a wealth of life why the brass wants a rock. I guess it all comes down to money.

As I stare out, I began to realize things feel really weird, I brace myself and look down knowing what I’ll find but dreading it anyway. My Avatar body is naked, I do a quick inventory, two arms with fingers check, breasts check, I’m not going to even contemplate what’s between my legs right now, two legs with feet and toes and a tail…, a tail! Damn, I’d forgotten about that.

I clumsily crawl from the Amnio tank and into bright sunlight, it’s amazing. On Earth there is a huge amount of pollution in the air, we have trees and plants but nothing that really compares with the wilds of Pandora, many forests and jungles were destroyed in the name of progress, wealthier people live in homes which have air purifying systems that keep the air clean. Sadly, polluted air gets dumped outside of those domes, and the general population, unfortunately, has to suffer that pollution.

To see clear skies and breathe clean air is amazing, I take a moment to just enjoy being able to breathe, I feel the gentle wind and the sunlight that breaks through the canopy of the tree’s. Checking my surrounding I find myself deep in the jungle with no one around; I quickly find the hatch on the side of the pod that has my clothes and weapons. After donning a sports bra, tank top and combat pants I load my sidearm and look to covering up the pod.

After closing the Amnio tank I roll the pod and use my tablet computer to guide the pod to a fallen tree nearby, it takes me a good hour to conceal the pod, primarily because the Avatar body is so different from my human one. I can't count the times I stubbed a toe or hit my head before I began to get accustomed to this body.

The tracks the pod made while moving it were the hardest to conceal, fortunately landing in dense jungle provided enough plant life to cover the tracks making it appear that large animals passed through.  Eventually, I finished camouflaging the pod and its tracks.  With that mission accomplished, I took time out to eat. The MRE wasn’t pleasant to eat; I can only assume it was due to my Avatar’s taste buds being more sensitive.

Judging by the sun’s position it was about midday and I did not have time to waste. I grabbed the armour and weapons designed for my Avatar and headed out for a quick recon of the immediate area. I felt utterly floored by Pandora’s lush vegetation. This planet is nothing like Earth. It is so alive and wild that it almost feels magical.  I read about it in our briefing materials and I saw the pictures, but seeing it for real is just mind boggling.

The vegetation varies in colour from bright greens to purples and pinks of flowering plants. It’s hard to describe the sheer beauty of the jungle around me, I’ve never seen sights like I’m seeing here. I wonder absently what the others from this drop are feeling on seeing Pandora’s beauty, are they in as much awe as I am over seeing such vast forest?

As I walk I’m constantly aware of how different this body is compared to my own. I noticed earlier that my hips move differently but it’s more noticeable as I walk straight, the more familiar I become with this body and the more my movements are becoming fluid almost like a jungle cat stalking its prey. I hide in some bushes as I hear movement up ahead, it sounds like large animals. My senses were right and I remain silent as a group of Na’vi hunters enter the area on Direhorses.

“Something came down in this direction.” The leader of the group said as I watched his eyes expertly scan the forest for traces of me. His Direhorse stamped his feet nervously as if it could sense my hidden presence.

The beast’s reaction concerned me, until its rider settled it with a gentle pat.  Relieved, I cautiously observed the group of riders from my position, concealed by a thick bush.  I had to admit that the sight of several Na’vi warriors sitting astride their massive beasts was an imposing sight for me. My breath caught in my throat and I once again double checked my weapon to confirm that it was ready for action, but I knew that would only expose both my presence and position to the Na’vi.

My eyes were drawn to the lone female Na’vi in the group. “Do you think it is the sky people returning?” She asked as she looked nervously up through the dense canopy as if trying to spot RDA gunships.

I felt a strange sensation in my loins as I gazed at the fierce and exotically beautiful woman astride her Direhorse. The sight of her forced my instincts into overdrive. I could tell by her demeanour and the confident way that she held her weapons that she was an experienced warrior of her people.

Their leader glanced over at her with a haunted expression. “That, I could not say Alyara, but if the Taruk Makto is right, they will be back eventually.”

I could not help thinking that her name sounded beautiful to my ears. Not just beautiful. Alyara, something about her name sang to me and I did not understand my reaction.

Another member of their hunting party attracted my attention when he let out a fierce war cry and pounded his chest with his fist. “Let them come! We will be ready for them!”

I had to admit he looked extremely intimidating, but Alyara appeared more amused by his posturing.  She glanced over her shoulder at the determined warrior.

The leader looked at the young hunter with what I could only describe as a deep sadness “Don’t be so eager, Celan, the sky people are dangerous. They killed many of our people with their weapons of fire and metal.”

Celan gestured with his arm as if to wave his leaders concern aside. “I know that Drewan, but by Ey’wa if the sky people return, we will fight them and win.”

I knew this Celan. Well, not him, but people like him. We had a number of cherries straight from boot camp enter our unit who were exactly like him.  Young, dumb and full of cum. It took their first firefight to calm them down and make them understand the dirty reality of combat. If they survived it.

Alyara looked concerned about her younger companion’s enthusiasm. “That may be so, but remember brother, Ey’wa is balance, and the sky people are part of that balance, even as different as they are.”

Celan’s eyes narrowed with determination. “They don’t belong here!”

Now that I was boots on the ground, I kind of had to agree with him. After seeing the world with my own two Mark I eyeballs, I found myself thinking a little differently than before.  I still had a mission to complete and I would not let anything stop me, but a nagging little part of my subconscious told me that Pandora was not our world. What right did we have to mess up this world like we did ours?

Another young rider from the rear pushed his mount closer to the front. “I heard a rumour that the Taruk Makto came from the sky people.” He said, hopefully.

One of his buddies from the rear laughed. “That is surely just a story Ateyo.”

Alyara turned her mount to face Ateyo’s accuser. “No, it is true Arrain, Jake Sully was a Dream walker for the sky people, Ey’wa moved his spirit to his Dream walker.”

Alyara sounded as if she were familiar with Sully and I wondered what she meant by that. Had Jake’s mind been somehow permanently moved to his Avatar body like the rumour mill indicated? I felt slightly panicked. Could the same happen to me? Is this why he betrayed us? I tried to put it out of my head for now, I’d think on it later when I wasn’t surrounded by Na’vi hunters.

“Well no matter, this search is pointless Drewan.” Celan said with a glance at his leader. “I see no sign a sky person was here.”

“I agree. There is no more to see here. Let’s head back.” Drewan nodded in the direction they had arrived from, he turned his steed to lead the group back the way they had come and finally away from me.

My heart hammered in my chest from how close they had come to stumbling onto me. I am fortunate the ears on my Avatar were so sensitive. If I had not hidden when I had, I would have been found for sure. It was also a wise move on the RDA’s part to give us all a rudimentary understanding of the Na’vi language. I knew that I would never sound like a native, but I could easily understand them.

I had to admit that it was a shock seeing them so close. Not just the Na’vi, but the Direhorses as well. Of course, I had seen pictures of the beasts, but pictures do not really do justice to seeing them in the flesh. They were larger than I realised and then, there were the Na’vi themselves. Maybe it was because my Avatar body was female, but I somehow felt more vulnerable.

The encounter shook me up quite a bit and I decided to call it a day, it had been hours since I began scouting the area and, based on the stories. I really didn’t want to be out during the night. Once back at the pod I quickly ate and entered the living space of the pod to get some shut eye.

--- End Chapter one ---

 

 

Author’s note: Notes and Guidelines.

 

James Cameron’s Avatar all rights go to the respective owners, this story has been written for pleasure and not profit.

I came up with the Beachhead story so that others could enjoy writing in the Avatar universe, using this I hope others will be encouraged to contribute.

Characters can be (human Male to Na’vi Female) or (human Female to Na’vi Male) mercenary soldiers, any rank but colonel or above.

Stories can be about individuals or teams of two.  Remember Mk4 pods are for individuals, Mk5 are for teams of 2.

Stories can be anywhere on Pandora from the Eastern Sea to the Plains, I recommend checking out Avatar Wiki to help with locations and peoples within those places.

It is up to you the writers, to decide whether your characters survive, in one form or another, the choice is yours.  Will they chose to become Na’vi? Will they be forced; will they give up on life because of stress and gender confusion or die from injuries from Pandora’s wildlife?

You could write your story from a Native Na’vi’s perspective, maybe they discover the Human/Dreamwalker intruder and become friends, maybe they make enemies, maybe they save a life or end it either way there’s lots of choice.

There is no need to run things by me, so long as you keep to the original universe anything is allowed.  Although if you need help let me know.

The mission will always be ongoing; Jake Sully and Neytiri can be featured but not killed.

Teams of no more than two are allowed and can be 2 MtoF or 1 MtoF+1 FtoM or 2 FtoM, they can assist each other to keep sane, fall in love or blow each other’s brains out.  Maybe one takes their own link chamber and runs away causing the other to hunt them down.  They can come across other singles or teams but invariably don't stay together for long periods, although they can swap up teams if a pair get on better.

They can also interact with the Na’vi themselves, remember though the Na’vi will detain them on sight if caught, the Na’vi can help them like Jake Sully, making the avatar bodies permanent.  There are many choices just remember if you’re using a Na’vi character then who they are is linked to what clan they are from.  If they are from the Horse clans of the Plain they will obviously ride mainly Direhorses but maybe not just horses, just try to keep in mind what clan they are from.  If it’s a clan not much is known about then it gives you more freedom to make things up about them, so say those around the Eastern sea might use a dolphin type creature to catch fish or travel, they might be Ikran Makto using Banshee’s to swoop down to catch large fish. You can invent a clan but be careful of territory.

Where possible use the Na’vi’s terms for things, like if you’re describing a bonded Banshee rider they are known as Ikran Makto, use Pandora’s wiki if you need to get more information or terms used.

Mating is as diverse as our own world, there are male/female, male/male and female/female bonded pairs, bonded same sex couples can and will join a member of the opposite sex to reproduce but they will remain with their bonded mate, not all bonded pairs want children.  See the Pandorapedia link below for further information on behaviour and mating.

Remember these are RDA corporate mercenaries not under a Government military oversight, fraternization while frowned on isn’t as heavily monitored as government run military groups.

There are many scenarios available to writers; the main thing is to have fun.

I look forward to seeing what others will write.

 

Useful resources

 

Avatar name generator

http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/toys/namegen/13151/#.UIlJk7TyaS8

 

Pandorapedia

http://www.pandorapedia.com/

 

Avatar Wiki

http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Avatar


Here's a map on Pandora to help with locations for larger view right click and view in seperate window

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/jcafanon/images/archive/2/2f/20110114002803%21Mapa_%28_%C4%8D%C3%ADsla_rda%29_eng.jpg

up
128 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Avatar - Beachhead.

Hi Elizabeth,

Great to see the chapter up on site. I love the Masthead Artwork, beautiful. Can't stop to read it right now, I've got an appointment to meet, but I will read and comment when I get back.

John.

This was actually brilliant.

I actually liked the whole idea and the set up and everything and I don't like fanfiction but this was so following the story realistic that I couldn't help but get caught up in it.
I'll definitely be reading this as it continues.
Amazing new story.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey...The Godfather;)

Bailey Summers

Thanks Bailey, I'm really

Thanks Bailey, I'm really pleased you enjoyed it, I tried very hard to keep as close as I could the spirit and feel of the film whilst giving a new angle.

It would be so easy to have rewrite the Avatar film where Jake's sibling was a woman rather than a man, I've never been into doing copycat stories. My other fanfic stories are the same, I love twisting and turning plots to add new depth and possibilities to the stories I write.

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

First story read from my Xbox

Oops, first story replied from my Xbox too. If anyone else is using an xbox look out it takes ages to post and seems like it is doing nothing. Please delete all duplicates sorry.

Hehe, I was thinking WOW WHAT

Hehe, I was thinking WOW WHAT A RESPONSE! Then I looked and realised it was just Xbox doing crazy stuff lol.

Oh well, as for idea, I'm not too keen on the 'hijacking' as it would be extremely difficult if nigh on impossible. You have to remember Avatar bodies are grown to match a specific human drivers nervous system, having someone whose nervous system isn't perfectly tuned to the Avatar would probably cause death to the hijacker from the feedback alone.

That being said there's no reason someone from Greenpeace couldn't infiltrate the RDA program hoping to damage the RDA's chances. Maybe Greenpeace etc got backing from governments and the science community to muscle in on the RDA's claim to Pandora, hoping that a permanent non RDA human presence might help stop them.

The options are endless.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

What I meant was some group

What I meant was some group getting people to pandora through the RDA recruitment process. It dosn't even seem to be that difficult, you wold just have to find some sypathetic ex soldiers, as I don't think many people will want to be away from friends and family for at least 12 years.

I agree there is potential

I agree there is potential for some people to have been planted within the RDA for various reasons, from outright sabotage to people desperate for a new life among the Na'vi. There may also be some soldiers who only joined the military or RDA to escape the torment of identity crisis, there are after all some of us have at one time or another buried ourselves in a controlled environments where cross-dressing is impossible, maybe some totally closeted trans people joined the RDA seeing this new program as a way to fulfill their dreams.

I just hope some other writers join in using my basic idea to create some great stories.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Lots of potential here...

I'll be looking forward to seeing where this story and the universe you're setting it in go.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Thanks very much for your

Thanks very much for your feedback, I too look forward to where this universe could go if other writers choose to contribute some stories, there are some seriously awesome writers on BC.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

SIX?

I cant make out why any military man would volunteer for 6 months duty to end his service and then spend SIX years getting to the destination!
Also I take it that it would be SIX years returning!
So 6 months left of a contract really means twelve and a half years actual time.

Still story looks promising especially as Jake will definitely BUMP into our hero/heroine.

RDA policy would be that time

RDA policy would be that time spent in cryo would not class a full active service, they would most likely get a set bonus for the travel time, a six month tour on Pandora would be intense, the longer your boots are the ground the more likely you are to lose your life. Most tours are probably much longer but as Hell's Gate is unsecured they don't have a enough security to risk more.

Also the ship will stay in orbit for at least that long, so he would be booked to return when the ship does, if Hell's gate is retaken many of those soldiers will continue on longer than six months, having a secure base helps on that score.

Finally while nervous, he's dreamed of going to Pandora, despite the risks being there is an exciting experience, even if it's only six months.

Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it and hope you continue to read and enjoy the story.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Hey Lizzie! Great Start!

Liking this story and the new universe... i might just have to dabble :)
Hugs,
Diana

Thanks, it's good to see

Thanks, it's good to see people enjoying the story, I'm glad you liked it, I'd definitely read it if you write one.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Dances with Smurfs

Elsbeth's picture

Always reminded me of Dances with Wolves but with Smurfs :) I can see an idea for a short story or two rummaging around in my little noggin. Enjoyable story so far, I like the concept. Looking forward to the next chapter.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Thanks Elsbeth, Your feedback

Thanks Elsbeth,

Your feedback is appreciated, I'm glad it has given you ideas whether for short stories or long I'll look forward to reading it.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Late Comment, I'm behind on my reading ....

There is a program called Relativistic Star Ship, http://mysite.verizon.net/res148h4j/javascript/script_starsh..., in which one inputs distance in light years and acceleration (assumed constant forward/positive to the half way point then deceleration/negative to the destination) and the program gives the time on board, time on earth (non accelerating frame of reference) which is the same as the time for the trip at the destination, the max speed and max kinetic energy.

I put in 4.4 LY for the distance and played with the acceleration until it gave me a time on board of just over 6 years. The acceleration that worked was .41 G (Earths gravity at sea level). Max speed is .855 C, so the trip is definitely relativistic. However, the time for the journey measured on Earth is 7.81 years. Whoever goes to Pandora comes back 15.62 yrs later plus time spent On pandora, not just 12 yrs.

This is a great idea for a fanfic, it's also cool there is so much supporting info because of the movie and the game! I'm looking forward to reading it!

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Thanks Renee, I used the

Thanks Renee,

I used the Avatar wiki for a lot of information especially on time frames for interstellar travel, it would have taken around 5.85 years for the RDA to get back to earth, I just rounded it up to 6 as acceleration and deceleration could had added time. That gave just 3 years to plan and prepare, I wonder if safety protocols were adhered to in building so many link units, considering the cost on the units were high in the film so they were limited, I'm concerned being cheaply made rush jobs might be the death of some soldiers.

Lots of ideas

Big hug

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Very cleaver Plot Device

Switching genders to prevent going native? Brilliant! I look forward to more.

Na'vi care nothing for sex and gender

Thanks Mind-Mistress,

Yes the RDA have a "brilliant" strategy, maybe if they read Dr Augustine's notes on Na'vi mating behavior they would have realized the Na'vi care nothing for sex and gender restrictions imposed on humanity.

2 Na'vi males becoming bonded lovers or 2 females doing the same is not uncommon in Na'vi culture, the RDA might find they shot themselves in the foot with this hair brained scheme lol.

Chapter 2 will be posted Saturday.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

I just got around to reading this first chapter

and I was very impressed with the stealth reentry to Pandora you have created. It is a very sensible approach to attempt a retaking of the planet, and the higher-ups' hair-brained idea of gender switching is just the thing someone would come up with on paper, only to find out it would fail miserably in practice for a number of reasons.

SuZie

SuZie

Thanks Suzie, Yeah our past

Thanks Suzie, Yeah our past is littered with great ideas that sometimes drop like lead balloons, I think the rocket soldiers idea or for that matter free energy, it's all great on paper but in practice things invariably go wrong.

Helmuth Carl Bernard Graf von Moltke said in 1871

Paraphrased variant
No plan survives contact with the enemy.

The RDA would have been better to follow Napoleon's saying: "I have never had a plan of operations."

Hope you enjoy the rest.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

I'm VERY late to THIS party!

Good start! Though somehow I severely doubt that Jim's gunna be using any of it ;)

Abigail Drew.

Evan later!

Better late than never.. Enjoyed the movie but while watching was hoping for a version more like this!!

alissa