The Hero Part 6

Printer-friendly version


The Hero

by

Jacquimac

Part Six

It was two days before the results came back, the senior pathologist attended the meeting with the medical and surgical teams. The report so far was looking bleak, they found the tissue was embryonic and very difficult to cut through using even today's surgical equipment. As the anomaly had attached itself to the liver and was slowly encapsulating the organ at alarming rate surgery was going to be extremely if not impossible. The pathological team had sent a segment off for DNA testing and it could be a couple of weeks before the results came back, the did find out that so far it wasn't cancerous, so they were all back to square to square one.

The test results and copies of all the scans and X-rays were sent to labs and specialists around the world hoping that someone had come across an anomaly such as this one but the Surgeons didn't hold much luck, if someone somewhere had dealt with something like this they would have reported it so it would hopefully be on record somewhere.
Maybe it should be left alone as long as it didn't endanger the child's life all they could do was monitor it. They talked to Elizabeth about it and she agreed with what they had decided, they would have to see what the DNA testing revealed before they could do anything anyway.

James continued with physio after he had healed from the surgery and was progressing as well as could be expected, although he frustrated at times with his own progress, the community being kept up date on his progress was now waiting with baited breathe for the DNA test reports to come back.

James had now been in hospital almost three months and was getting bored with his surroundings so the hospital decided to let him return for a week, they would also arrange for days out for him when he returned to their care. A couple of nurses were assigned to move in with James and Elizabeth during his week at home to tend to his medical needs, at first Elizabeth assured them that she was perfectly capable of looking after her son but as they pointed out James needed 24 hr nursing care to be on the safe side.

There was problem about clothes for the boy, he wasn't able to wear trousers due to the dressings on his legs, his abdomen was still a bit tender so tight clothing couldn't be worn round the waist, He was talking about this with his mother and was so desperate to get out of hospital for a few days said he would wear a dress if he had to, his mother asked him if he was serious and seeing he was adamant bought a few cheap dresses, nothing too girly just some plain smock type dresses.

Word had gone round the community that James was coming home fro a few days and he would be wearing dresses, the majority of adults understood after seeing the bandages and padding he was using and threatened their children if they started any teasing of James.

Two days later he was allowed to go home, the two nurses Sally and Anne had got him ready before Elizabeth arrived to accompany them in the ambulance to Elizabeth's home. AT first Elizabeth was surprised when she saw him, he could easily be mistaken for a young girl with his now longish hair and fair complexion but she didn't say anything.

"You ready to go then " she asked

"Just get me out of here before I go nuts" replied a happy James

With the two nurses following behind then loaded down with medical supplies Elizabeth pushed his wheelchair toward the main doors.

The main doors opened and the party exited the building to flashes from cameras and a cheer from a crowd of well wishers, the ambulance crew lifted James into a seat and strapped him in before putting his wheelchair in the rack and helping the Ladies into the vehicle.

It didn't take long before they arrived outside the house and James and all the supplies were carried inside, before they left Gerry one of ambulance crew said if they needed anything just give him a call and he would deliver it himself and after wishing James good luck they left.

Sally and Anne were shown to their rooms by Elizabeth and shown a downstairs room that they could use as a medical room to store everything and treat James, afterwards they all sat in the kitchen enjoying a home cooked meal.

Elizabeth had set up the old study as a temporary bedroom for James as the chairlift to the bedroom wasn't yet connected, she had moved some of his books and toys and even his computer for him and somebody had given her a laptop for him to use, so it looked like James was set up for the week. The locals had wanted to have a party for his homecoming but Elizabeth has talked them out of it, too much excitement could possibly do more harm than good, so they compromised on having a barbeque instead.

The rest of the day found various people visiting the house and keeping James occupied and never once did anyone comment on how he was dressed, the kids took him out into garden were they could talk away from the adults the way kids do when they think they`re being secretive. In the lounge several mothers sat talking to Elizabeth and one asked if anyone else noticed that James looked like a pretty girl, some of the other women agreed even Elizabeth who pointed out that James might have to wear dresses for quite a while. The women assured her that James was perfectly safe from harm and would be protected by the community as a whole, he had saved the lives of several children by his actions and now it was their turn to look after James and keep him safe.

The following day James had his dressings changed and was dressed ready to meet the day by 10am, one of his teachers from the school to go over some lessons with him and he would do a couple of hours each day until lunchtime, James was quite happy about this and set too with a will.

In the afternoons he would do his exercises for an hour and after changing one of carers would go for a walk pushing his wheelchair around the town, everywhere they went people came and chatted to the child and made sure he wanted for nothing. Finally the day arrived when he was returned to the hospital again Gerry was driving the ambulance with his partner Steve and after loading the vehicle they set off back to the hospital.

up
139 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Hero Pt 6

Wonder if James was really Jamie all along, but had the body of James?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine