The Hero Part 5

Printer-friendly version


The Hero

by

Jacquimac

Part Five

The two surgeons arrived at the room to find James on his way out to physiotherapy, the nurse had got him into his wheelchair after dressing him in something better than a hospital gown. Dr Graves told the nurse to send word once James had returned to the room and to have him completely stripped in preparation for a physical examination by Dr Wells.

An hour an half later after his torture session and a soothing bath James was ready when the two surgeons arrived, Dr Graves introduced Dr Wells to James and his mother who had arrived a few minutes earlier.After the examination the surgeons left to discuss their findings.

Dr Wells stated " I didn't realise the full extent of the injuries until I saw the patient, it`s amazing that the child is still alive"

"James surprised us all, the nurses call him the 'Miracle Child', but he`s a fighter and knows he`ll never recover fully from his injuries" replied Dr Graves

The discussion went on for over an hour, Wells told his colleague of a new procedure he wanted to try to help with the scarring, he explained that the scar tissue would be removed and a technique for suturing the wounds be used after which the areas would be packed in kelp before dressing are applied. He went on to explain that it wasn`t a usual practice but that he had seen some rather good results.

They discussed their new findings and agreed that as the mother refused a Cat Scan and MRI Scan was still showing ambiguous readings eploratory surgery was the only option left, however they would use a camera with a small incision and if that failed the Abdominal Cavity would have to be be fully opened. One way or another the anomily needed to be examined fully.

They sent for Elizabeth and discussed everything with her as they would need her permission before they could start, they could go through the courts and fight her but didn`t want to cause the poor woman anymore problems or get her against them. Elizabeth being a senior nurse listened to what they had they had to say and agreed she too wanted to find out what the anomily was and if it was danger to her child to get rid of it.

They next went to see James and explained everything to him, physiotherapy would be put on a back burner for a couple of weeks until his body recovered from the next round of surgery. Dr Graves left to set everything up and Dr Wells remained with James talking to him, getting to know the child, his goals and aspirations, what he had already acheived in his short life. The two were getting on well together when Graves returned for which he was grateful.

They left James and went for a meal neither of them had eaten since breakfast and would get to know each other better over a good meal, they went to place near the hospital were they served simple but well cooked and healthy meals and Wells attacked his with gusto. Never had he eaten so well and such simple dishes as these he told the owner of the Eatery.

The latest X-rays Blood and MRI scan results came back the next morning and the two surgeons as well as several other specialist doctors went through them looking for anything that might have been missed on previous results. Still they found nothing although the anomily still showed on the MRI Scan, the scanner had been checked over by the manufacturers , lasers, lens etc replaced the programming checked not once but twice. Other patients had been scanned and the scanner had worked fine, so the scanner wasn't the problem, but this left the doctors with many unanswered questions.

The day of surgery arrived and the two surgeons visited James to explain what would be happening, the child understood most of what was explained and was happy enough to proceed knowing that his mother would be by his side all the time. At first the surgeons were reluctant for Elizabeth to be in the theatre but as it made the child the child feel more secure they relented.

The Operation went ahead, James was anaethetised and wheeled into the operating theatre, the incision in the abdominal wall wall made and the fibre optic that contained the camera was inserted. Slowly the technician moved the camera around the interior of the abdomen, all the organs were traced, kidneys, liver, stomach intestines etc and right in the middle appeared an unusual growth, the camera was removed and after a quick consultation between the two surgeons and Elizabeth it was decided to enlarge the incision and the investigate the growth.

The incision was enlarged and the growth found a Biopsy was performed was great difficulty as even the scalpels had trouble cutting the fibrous material, this was sent to the lab were a team was waiting to start examining and testing the sample. The two surgeons investigated the growth further and noticed that it had attached itself to the liver, they knew straight away that they had a major problem and couldn't go any further until the lab tests were back so James was sewn up and returned to the ward.

The surgeons had a long talk with Elizabeth who had also seen the growth, but the had also noticed something else the growth was contained in what looked like a transparent womb, but there were no other female looking organs such as ovaries or fallopian tubes, there was also no sign of anything that remotely looked like testicles or other male internal reproductive organs. James was Intersexed and Elizabeth was going to have to help James make a life changing decision very soon by the looks of things.

The locals were still following James's hospitalisation and treatment and visited on most days so he wasn't lonely, fellow pupils were regular visitors and even though he was hospitalized was now keeping up with his school work. The local school was proud of James not just because of his actions on that fateful day but also because of his scholatic achievements and the way he helped others with their schoolwork, James was expected to go far though in what field nobody knew. for a nine year old he was very clever for age and seemed to soak up knowledge like a sponge. James would never succeed in the sporting world but academically the world was his oyster.

Knowing that he would be in a wheelchair and occasionally on crutches for a long time his home had adapted due to donations from the community and now everyone was waiting on the latest news from the hospital.

up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Hero Pt 5

Interesting development. What will be the decision?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine