The Hero Part 11

Printer-friendly version


The Hero

by

Jacquimac

Part Eleven

Rodger moved in the following week, bringing only what he required, anything extra he needed he could purchase when and if he needed it.
Seeing that money was not a problem he had a broadband connection installed, upgraded all the computers in the house for the best that money could buy and bought state of the art laptops and mobile phones for both Elizabeth and James.

After hearing what had happened at the school James was now being home schooled by private tutors and went everywhere with a security escort. No more was the child going to in unneccessary risk from anyone if Rodger had anything to do with it.

Elizabeth on hearing what had happened at the school was appalled and took her anger out on the school staff at first then later apologised, she knew that government rulings tied the hands of most sensible people and that they couldn`t keep an eye on James for every minute at school.

Rodger had notified his employer what had occurred and was told to carry on as normal, the house that was being built would have state of the art security built in to it, and would soon be ready for the new owners in a matter of weeks.

Over the next two or three weeks Rodger was becoming quite close to both Elizabeth and young James and began to wonder if his involvement was becoming too close, he wouldn`t mind having them as family as they were both kind and considerate of others. It amazed Rodger that James didn`t have a bad word for anyone even his tormentors and hoped that one day if he ever had a family they would be like these two.

James had missed out on his tenth birthday being in hospital and Elizabeth felt guilty, every year they had celebrated both their birthdays usually just the two of them after his father had died. James`s eleventh birthday was only a few weeks away so Elizabeth to make it extra special for him, she spoke to Rodger who suggested a trip to Disneyland Paris. Elizabeth told him that as much as she would like take James there they couldn`t afford it. Oh sure she got her wages and a widows pension and a pension from the army but by the time she paid the bills, bought food,clothing and everything else they needed as well as putting money into a scholarship fund fo James there wasn`t much left.

Rodger told her that money was no longer a problem, and they could even take James to Disney in Orlando if she wanted too.

Elizabeth was reluctant to take James away from the area until the hospital had finished with him and decided to talk to Drs Graves and Wells and get their opinions, even a weekend would be enough for both of them to forget their problems for a while.

After talking to the Doctors it was agreed that a week away would be beneficial for James and would give him respite from the constant testing he was going through. They made one proviso however, that Jean and Milly accompany them in case of any medical problems.

Rodger made the reservations but instead of a hotel he managed to get a private house with a walled garden, the security team was notified and trvel arrangements were made, they decided not to tell James until the day before they left for France.

Gerry was finally released from hospital was on long sick leave, he called round to see James and got a real welcome from the boy, he thanked James for what he had done and told him he would be back driving him around before too long. While he was in hospital Gerry found out that that the boy didn`t have much of life outside his home, and no real friends to speak of. Yes he had heard conversations round the town about the "Freak" but had never thought they were referring to this little chap, it was some of the nurses that opened his eyes to what was going on and he vowed to be there for boy.

James was unaware of what happening around him, he knew how a lot of people felt about him but carried on with his life and didn`t let other people get him down, except for his Mum and Dad nobody had really cared about him, the neighbours were friendly and he had enjoyed helping the older folk were he could. He knew he cleverer than most of peers and learned a lot from the old people because he listened to their stories about their childhoods and World War two, the Korean war and other little wars that had been fought by these people.

James soaked up knowledge like a sponge, read everything he could his hands on and asked questions when he didn`t understand, he knew that this was the reason that he was considered a "Freak" and because he had no interest in sport. He also loved Classical Musical and Ballet where as most children his age listened to boy/ girlbands,punk etc modern music to James was for the most just a load of noise with little or no heart.

Yes when he considered things he was definately different from the other kids but surely that make him a "Freak", OK he was wearing dresses these days but that was because of his injuries and everyone knew that,sure he had more friends these days but they were all girls and they didn`t seem to mind how he dressed.

James gave up trying to figure people out and accepted that a lot people didn`t like him or want to get to know him, he would just carry on as usual, well as best he could with his injuries.

Rodger was asked to go London for a meeting all he was told was to be at a certain place at a certain time, when he asked why he was told it was about his assignment and his questions would be answered at the meeting. He told Elizabeth about the phone call and she told him to go, maybe they`d find out who the mystery man was, Rodger didn`t tell her that he he already knew who the man was but agreed to attend the meeting.

On the day of meeting Rodger was met at the agreed location by a limosine and taken to a building near Whitehall, it turned out that was the headquarters for the main British Intelligence Agencies. On entering the building he was taken to a conference and told to help himself to whatever he wanted to drink so Rodger settled for coffee, he wanted his wits about him in this meeting and as alcohol dulled his senses he didn`t partake of any form of booze.

It was about half an hour later when a group of men entered the room and with them was Dr Wells, was there something going on that only these people knew about and why hadn`t Wells told Dr Graves of his involvement with British Intelligence.

The men round the table were introduced to him and a few he knew by reputation, John Stewart was the head of the Intelligence network and chaired the meeting. Rodger had a feeling that he was getting in too deep on this assignment. British Intelligence , the Military and the Law enforcement agencies were a joke when it came to Homeland Security, even the government were screwing up the way they gave asylum to known terrorists who later committed acts of terrorism against the country.

The meeting started and Rodger was given the usual forms in regards to the Official Secrets Act to sign, meaning he couldn`t tell anyone what was said or done in the room.

Stewart looked down table and said " General "

General Lansbury looked across at Rodger " I believe you`ve met Brian Montgomery" He said

Rodger couldn`t deny it and simply said "Yes"

" Would you tell us what was said at the meeting" asked the General

"No " said Rodger

John Stewart said " It doesn`t matter really, if you look in your files you`ll see a transcript of the meeting covering the pertinant facts gentlemen"

Rodger stood up " You spied on a meeting with one of my clients " He said angrily

"If it is in the interest of National security we have to " stated the General

" Oh I see, an old man looking for his family is in the interest of National Security, God no wonder the public think you lot are a waste of the money their paying you" retorted Rodger

" Calm yourself Please Mr Price, we mean no harm to your client , we are trying to help him. Brian Montgomery was sent on a mission that went badly wrong and was then abandoned to his own devices by one of my predecessors. It is our intention to keep Brian and his Family safe but we needed to know what he told you. So please take your seat and listen to what we plan." said Stewart

The meeting carried on without anyones feathers getting further ruffled, and ended with an agreement to meet again the following day.

up
108 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Never trust the government.

Rule #1 the government always has its best interest in mind, no matter who gets hurt.

Rule #2 Never trust the government.

Liking your story though.

Gwendolyn

Another rule

Rule #3 Reread rules 1 and 2.

Government is insanity taken to the nth degree. Anyone who believes ANY government serves the people needs only to look at how much those governing pay out to get a paycheck that is normally 1% to 2% of what they paid to know who is REALLY being represented.

Representatives bought and paid for in advance of their taking their seats.

Hugs,
Erica

P. S. yes, when it comes to government I'm not just of the "half-empty" mindset, I'm of the "totally-empty" mindset.

The Hero Part 11

How will this hurt James?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine