Disconnected

Printer-friendly version

DISCONNECTED
keira-knightley1.jpg

By Joannebarbarella

************

Frustrated, he went through combination after combination to see if he could get a connection, but no matter what, when he tried to log on to the internet, he ended up with the same display on the screen of the laptop.

Internet Explorer Cannot Display The Webpage

He tried to get onto the server, but, naturally, you needed a web connection to make a complaint. Typical. Particularly when it was out of hours. Just like the notices you see for courses to remedy illiteracy.

He wouldn’t be able to do that until he got to work after the weekend. His normal evening was stuffed....probably the next two as well. At least it looked like it was a server problem, which meant the laptop itself was all right, no software to worry about. He could access Word but what good was that?

Yeah, I know, get a life!

He usually spent the evening hooked into the net, reading stories on Big Closet Top Shelf, a site catering mostly to those who believed they were the wrong gender, reading, commenting, or conversing with people like himself (or herself), all the while gently supping on glasses of wine, not getting drunk, but just having a bit of a buzz on, dulling the reality of everyday life, taking off the sharp edges of the ever present longing..

Living alone much of the time was OK. When you got to his age you liked company part of the time, but also enjoyed some time by yourself. Selfishness is thy name. At this particular moment solitude ruled. The previous week had been spent at home over the Chinese New Year holidays surrounded by wall-to-wall friends and the woman who still, against all odds, loved him.

Now here he was, back in Singapore, alone. Now he could wear the clothes that he loved, the silks and the satins, could put on a little (ha-ha, a lot of) make-up and a wig and pretend that he wasn’t a fat old man, but the nineteen-year-old girl inside. No....that wasn’t right....she was the girl.... not the fat old fraud. She didn’t look in a mirror any more than she had to, not liking what looked back.....but she was who she was. She still remembered those golden teenage days when she was the face shown to the world until HIS fear drove her back into hiding.

The lack of internet was spoiling the mood somehow. Talking to others like herself was a large part of the pleasure. It always felt so good to sit in front of the keyboard with her painted nails pressing the keys and exchanging Personal Messages with one of the other girls.....with someone who understood where she was coming from.

Desperately seeking diversion, she went to their CD collection, and, after some thought, pulled out a couple of Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler discs. It wasn’t the music they’d been brought up on but they both loved Mark’s guitar and the gutsy working-class lyrics of many of the songs resonated with their youth. They were actually a Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Stones and Beatles child by age, but they didn’t write the really gritty stuff in those days.

He knew in a way that he was already past his “use-by” date when he went looking for a decent radio/CD/cassette to play his CDs on. All the stores tried to sell him an iPod, not one of those out-of-date contraptions, and he had to traipse all around town to find a Philips set in the back of a tiny, dusty shop in Little India. I mean, who buys Philips these days?

She went to put on Dire Straits but found a forgotten CD of AC/DC doing “Iron Man 2” which was already loaded, not a bad movie either. With a small smile she decided to indulge herself with them first. She had always had a soft spot for the raw energy of Acker Dacker. When the music started the girl began bopping around the room, glass of white wine in hand, remembering the times when she had been the one in control, spinning and cavorting to “Back In Black”. God, those boys could still do the metal.

Shimmy and shake, put the glass down so she could do justice to that wild tune, the sweat coming off her brow as she danced to the beat. She loved the old man. He had never denied her in all those years, but he was such a coward that he had kept her hidden. She knew why, of course. Those were the days when he would have been a freak featured in the sordid pages of The News Of The World if she had been exposed.

Discretion took the place of the valour he didn’t have and he hid her away, married, had kids and lived a pathetic “normal” life.

His wife had vague suspicions, having found one of his stashes one time, but he had talked his way out of that. He had confessed her existence to his latest girlfriend. She sort of accepted it, but being Chinese, managed to ignore it, as the Chinese do with things with which they are uncomfortable.

She kept on dancing, finishing up with a wild rendition on “Highway To Hell”, picking up her glass and draining it when the music finished, panting, heart thumping, but feeling invigorated as she hadn’t for years. Perhaps this evening wouldn’t be so bad.

AC/DC finished and she went and got another glass of wine. Her dress was sticking to her a little and she could feel her heels making the muscles at the back of her calves ache, but she didn’t care. She should have made him let himself go like this more often. It was fun and liberating too. She could almost feel her breasts straining at her bra.

She took over, putting on Dire Straits, and together they sat and listened to “Telegraph Road”, both appreciating the marvellous guitar solo embracing them in the middle and amazed at how a Geordie man could recreate the story of Detroit with such passion.

She had another large swig of the wine and started dancing again to “The Sultans Of Swing”, holding the glass out at arms' length as she sashayed to those wonderful British pub lyrics. You don’t appreciate the talent until you haven’t heard it for a while.

More wine and dance, dance, dance, a lot of tears along the way as the lyrics melted into the brain, and into the soul, some slow swings around the room and some full-blooded rock. She loved “Money For Nothing” for both the beat and the lyrics and gave it all she had. At the end of that number the old man collapsed onto the sofa.

“Go and get another drink,” she said.

But he just lay there looking at her.

“Brothers In Arms” started.

“Come on. This is a slow one.”

He looked at her. Tears rolled down his cheeks.

“It’s all yours, love. I can’t.”

She tried to pull him to his feet but their fingers slipped through each other’s.

So she danced away into the night, free at last.

*************

This little piece resulted from a lack of internet connection which forced me to find alternative entertainment. Do not read too much into the ending. While I was feeling a bit melancholy I wasn’t THAT melancholy....or you wouldn’t be reading this.

I have deliberately mixed the gender pronouns to try to convey the dichotomy experienced by myself and those like me, so please don’t make that a hook for any criticism you might have.

There was some debate between me and my friends and editor as to whether I should even post this, but in the end I have ignored their advice, so don’t blame them. Thank you Sheila and Dimelza for your views and comments, and Kristina for editing and your opinion.

up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You were right to disregard them

It's an excellent little insight into the the mind of those who have the desire but can't get past the dichotomy of spirit and body. What the mirror reveals the mind can hide and sometimes that mind can push the limits too far. In this case not deliberately as I see it but I suspect others may view it otherwise.

Commentator
Visit my Caption Blog: Dawn's Girly Site

Visit my Amazon Page: D R Jehs

Disregard

joannebarbarella's picture

Thanks, Commentator. It took six months of self-doubt and neurotic tweaking to get this far,

Joanne

Kind of sad and mournfully nostalgic.

Are the feelings this conjures up for me. I love both songs and both bands as well but Dire Straits is one of my all time favorites, especially that album. Just hearing that song in my head brought the vivid image of those tears to the surface of my mind.

An emotion stirring piece of work.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Mark Knopfler

joannebarbarella's picture

I love his stuff, Bailey and it was just the right music for this little piece,

Joanne

Last dance

laika's picture

Wow, that's just all kinds of poetic and honest.
I don't even know that it's all that sad, as sad things go;
since he hid her but never quite denied her. And the passage
of time to its inevitable dwindling down, the loss of youth
and beauty, life's store of opportunities finally exhausted?
Everyone faces that (The Buddha said there'd be days like this...)
A quasi-stream-of-consciousness kind of gem of a story.
~hugs, Veronica

Mama, too!

Andrea Lena's picture

...said there'd be day's like this! I actually felt very sad after reading this. I went to comment last night but the puter over heated. A huge sigh, probably because of where I'm at the last few days, and not just a few tears, either. Gem of a storym, indeed! Thanks Joanne!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I Managed To Stuff That Up

joannebarbarella's picture

Ronnie, my reply to your comment got muxed ip with my reply to 'Drea. But you two don't mind sharing, do you? It's much cosier this way, and you both get a cuddle,

Joanne Mea Culpa Barbarella

P.S. That's one-upping 'Drea's Italiano...capuccino...espresso!

Just Enough To Drink

joannebarbarella's picture

I always love your comments, Ronnie. I was on that fine line where sometimes things just flow out. It actually scared me when I wrote it,

Joanne

etheric

kristina l s's picture

or maybe ephemeral. Melancholy? I dunno, I know I saw this and made a few comments and and said something profound like..as long as you're comfortable.... But, I don't know when and I can't find it. I usually keep a copy of everything I do like that. Shrug.... it's personal and touching and if not quite sad, a little... sigh, yeah and so it goes. Life and time and stuff.

Kristina

Kristina The Busy

joannebarbarella's picture

Ah, Kris, I'm not surprised you don't remember. It was about six months ago and I said then that I might post it post-humously. Well, I changed my mind and I'm still pre-humous,

Jo

Comments

I have sent you a personal message to cover some little point or other, but what I will say here is how much I recognise the story. That ties in with thecomments I made a little while ago about crossdressers, how I don't 'get' them. I meant that to mean that nothing there speaks to me, grabs me personally. This tale does. The need in later years to finally tear away the construct and be yourself...yes, that is personal.

Thanks Steph

joannebarbarella's picture

I think we covered all the ground in PMs,

Joanne

So beautiful ,

ALISON

and so sad.I have e-mailed you Jo.

ALISON

Thank You Lady Alison

joannebarbarella's picture

Email received and corresponded to in return to Sunny(?) Cairns. Beautiful one day....perfect the next, Just like you!

Joanne

Touched me.

The story of quite a bit of my life. And probably the lives of a lot of others who find their way here.

Lora123falle.jpg

Thanks Lora

joannebarbarella's picture

It's about time you got writing again. Stop Slacking! Oh, and post more pics,

Joanne

I think you hit the spot ...

... on so many levels - Kudos, Jo

Jessica
I don't just look it, I'm phenomenally gorgeous

Merci Beaucoup Mon Ami!

joannebarbarella's picture

Zut Alors. La plume de ma tante is in mon oncle's wotsit.
Have fun in France...but not too much. You have to write, and I don't mean a postcard,

Jo

Subtle?

Maybe, kinda like a wooden spike through the heart. Beautiful? That too. To capture that much emotion in so few words though? That is talent! Thank you for sharing it with us

Hugs
Diana

Subtle?

joannebarbarella's picture

That's my middle name....Joanne 7LB Sledgehammer Barbarella. Thankyou Diana. Comments are always appreciated,

Joanne

Oh, I know the feeling!

Well done! I have been in similar straits, if not so dire!

Wren

Feelings!

joannebarbarella's picture

I hope it wasn't so moody that it gave you the blues, Wren,

Joanne

Story Mirror

terrynaut's picture

I can relate to this oh so well.

I love the dreamy, somewhat sad mood that this evokes. It relates to the mood that I often have when I see myself in the mirror or watch a video of myself.

Very well written too.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

When I See Myself In A Mirror

joannebarbarella's picture

I usually scream...because that's NOT me! Thankyou Terry. I'm preening,

Joanne

Angus! Angus!

WebDeb's picture

This tale reminded me of so many memories of my youth. (nostalgia)
I did prefer to wear a different school uniform from the one Angus wore.
This is the way to do it, stories for mothing and my owm tv. (Giggles)
I feel the need to go twistin' by the pool now.

Luv 'n' hugs.

Surely Not!

joannebarbarella's picture

I don't believe you're that old. Still, If I made your breath come in short pants (or hot pants, maybe?)

Joanne

Disconnected

The last line says it all.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

been there, done that

but now I'm trying a different tactic. We'll see if I get better results ...

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Nil Illegitimi Carborundum

joannebarbarella's picture

Keep at it, Dorothy. We're all behind you,

Joanne

You sure captured me is this one.

I glad you posted this it really captures how I feel much of the time. I must admit though that I have let my hair grow long and blond, so as I am traveling this week I used a 2" curling iron on it this AM and wore it down instead of a ponytail. Even without make up, and in jeans and a men's shirt I got mammed a lot. It is so wonderful to think I look a bit fem with nothing more than a good hair day. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Jaime

Lucky, Lucky

joannebarbarella's picture

It's nice to be able to be and feel yourself in public, Jaime. And I have this Great backlog of stuff you can read and boost my ratings and my ego,

Joanne

Normally I'm Shy And Retiring

joannebarbarella's picture

But I've noticed how some of the other authors make a point of responding to their commentors in public, instead of by PM as I usually do.

Then I thought..."Hmmm.....maybe this will con people into thinking I'm more popular than I really am and I'll get more comments and more hits and more kudos."

Oh well, worth a try anyway, and if it doesn't work, then, sigh, back to the ol' drawing board,

joanne

I'm very shy...

Andrea Lena's picture

...and semi-retired; sorta not really the same. Ah me!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Comment strategies

My attitude is that if it was frowned upon, Erin wouldn't have given us that option.

And one other little thing... just as water does not need to convince us that it is wet, you don't need to do anything to convince us that your writing skills are worthy of praise. It's sooo obvious. Silly girl!

Hugs... Lora
.
.

Powerful...

Sunflowerchan's picture

Stories like this make me question if I really belong here. I mean don't get me wrong, I loved it, but it was so powerful, so forceful, so gritty. I often tell Emma that sometimes her stories are like her holding up a mirror to me and her gently asking me to look into it to face myself. And well this story hit me hard, it could be the fact that I'm coming off of a eight hour shift.. but it just reminded me of so many things. Like when I started to question how it would to be addressed as a 'her' instead of a 'he' or 'she' instead of 'him'. Or how it would feel to go to prom and get dressed fancy instead of going to the field and work till the sun has long gone to bed and retired for the night. It short you summoned up what many of us feel in so few words. This is an ageless story, because all of us, including us 'Little' sisters struggle with it. And I guess we lean a little too heavy sometimes on you 'Big' sisters to help us through it. So, thank you. Thank you for giving me something to think about and thank you for helping this 'Little' sister be made aware that these feeling are normal. Sorry if I'm rambling this story was just.. it was good! Really good. As always, thank you for all you do, and thank you for making this site special by being here and being you and sharing what you share.

Oh, Yes! You Definitely Belong

joannebarbarella's picture

Your stories are excellent. Daisy is a wonderful character. Talk about grit and courage. And Benton summons up images of those small Southern towns. That's particularly apt today with the news about that poor mayor.

And don't you dare think of yourself as "Little". The only difference is that I'm a lot older than you (I think! No, I'm sure!). Talent doesn't depend on age and nor does being one of us, feeling the girl inside and, if we're lucky, being able to let her out, whether it be occasionally or permanently, depending on our circumstances. For most of us that goes with the territory.

I'm really enjoying your comments. Thank you, Sunflower.