Hide In Plain Sand - Part 1

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

Brian Dupre just wanted to get close to Carmen, and doing a favor for her Uncle Mitzi seemed like a good idea at the time. As always, look for shadows in the dark....Ally Burns appears courtesy of JulieO Productions and was a delight to work with.
Fifth in the Angel series. Part One of Five Parts.

Story:

Hide In Plain Sand - Part One can be found at:

http://www.nowhere2go.org/slothrop/hips1.htm

or for rtf download:

http://www.nowhere2go.org/slothrop/HIPS1.rtf

Hosting provided by the lovely and fabulous Jenny!

Many thanks to Aardvark, who doggedly made me admit I was wrong, and NiGHTs, who knows how important she was to this work...

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
48 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

BOUT TIME LOL

for those that havent had the priveledge of reading this story in it's infancy, you're in for a treat masterly (or is that mistressly) crafted from a true talent. way to go ty. hugs from prue

A Standing Ovation

Breanna Ramsey's picture

Good gosh Ty, that whole part was one huge, brilliant teaser! I was going to read it a little at a time and found myself so drawn in I couldn't stop until I reached the end.

I have to compliment you most of all on the way you handled the numerous flashbacks. Done poorly, that can be a very big distraction but you did it masterfully and they only served to enhance the story to epic proportions.

All the characters are wonderfully crafted, but Carmen just seems to draw the reader in. I very much hope we will see her come to realize what an incredible person she is.

I believe I commented on this when you originally posted the teaser some time back, but it is worth repeating. The interaction between Ally and Angel was beautifully done. They are two sides of the same coin, and you were very true to the character Julie created.

Thanks so much for this great yarn. I look forward to continuing the adventure!

Sincerely,
Scott

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph

Hide in Plain Sand 1

I read this some time ago in a previous incarnation, or, as Ty might put it:

Flashback == Two years before present date:

Doug nudged the computer on with his toe; then made coffee, Maxwell House with a single packet of Sweet and Low and a tablespoon of Hazlenut to make it interesting. Returning, he settled into the office chair just as XP was finishing its liesurely boot. Logging on, he found an email from Tyrone Slothrop with a document attachment. With trepidation, knowing how long these things can be, he opened it and started reading. After many smiles, a couple of frowns, and a few sceptical looks, he began to type, eager to let Ty know how far from the "book" he had strayed...

***

That's always the way it's been with Ty's stories. He has a unique style, like a Quinton Tarantino script. The scenes are shown from a director's perspective. You can almost see the camera angles.

Rather than explain an event from the past, Ty generally prefers to shoot a scene showing precisely how it was, removing that extra layer of seperation. But, like Pulp Fiction, somehow it works - and works very well indeed - and that's the bottom line.

This story is set in the Angelverse. You don't have to read any of the Angel stories to understand this, but it might help to describe it. Angel is the head, and the best operative, of a loosely strung vigilante organization that specializes in eliminating powerful sexual predators. It's made up of a network of people who share Angel's vision, most of them diverse, unique, extremely competent at what they do, well-funded, and well-connected. The bad guys are EVIL, and the good guys can be ruthless as well as compassionate.

This one doesn't revolve around Angel, but it uses many of the characters from other Angel stories. So far it has a lot of action, destruction, romance, angst, sci-fi, and a girl escaping her past, finding the way out with a most interesting character.

So sit back and enjoy. It reads like an action adventure movie, and it's a very well-written enjoyable tale, too.

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

Pleasure.

I can only say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this new story, and like others, was hooked to complete the read in one sitting.

I do have a question that someone somewhere may be able to answer.

I think I recognise the first part with the RV pulling into the rest area. Has this been used in another story? Or is this story already somewhere else and I have forgotten? Eitherway, a thoroughly good read and I look forward to the other 4 episodes.

Thanks T.S.

The Start Of Yet Another Wild Ride

Ladies and gentlemen, please remain seated at all times while the ride is in motion and keep your arms and hands inside the car. You have just embarked upon yet another incredible ride with the master (mistress) take your pick, and will emerge on the other side of this adventure, changed in ways you have beforehand, never considered.

Cathy_t_ bows to Ty, chanting, I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy. I've waited a LONG time to see this story in print(sic) and I'm beside myself waiting to see how it progresses. I know I'm in for a hell of a ride and I'm looking forward to it with immense anticipation.

I'll try not to fall out of the car, Ty, but I'm not guaranteeing anything.

Great, great beginning. Huggles from Cathy_t_

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

Questions

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Dear Ty,
I have a few question.

1. Why is this story not posted here at Big Closet, but rather at another site with a link here at Big Closet?

2. Are the characters of Carmen and her 'gang' from a previous story, and could you please direct me there?

3. Is there a prequel to this story in respect to the "Brian" character, and could you direct me there too?

And (for now) last and most important...

4. When is part two available to be read by little old me (and others)?

with love,

HER

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Questions? You Can't Handle the Questions!

1. Because Tyrone is too lazy to go through the whole thing and add the HTML for italics, and Top Shelf cannot take pasting html from software for website construction, or even Word. THe italics are important as I use them for internal dialogue

2.& 3. Carmen is new, but Mitzi and Brian are not. Mitzi first appeared in "I Can See For Miles" with Brian. Before that, Brian, Marissa, Cissy Carter, Sean and Larry appeared in "The Princess Trap".
Reading "Roadside Attraction", "Accidental Momma", "Lamb & Lion", "Walk On the Street", "Spring is the Season of Recovery" and "Winter is the Season of Endings" would also help with upcoming characters, also "French Roast" by Gwen Lavyril and "Protector of Angels" by JulieO would help...especially if read right after "I Can See FOr Miles"

4. Part 2 and 3 are done, just waiting for posting. Part 4 is underway and Part 5 (The finale) is awaiting Tyrone's attention. However, the whole thing is outlined in detail. It will be finished, assuming I get enough positive comments to maintain mental energy and happy thoughts....