Hothouse Flower

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

Two schoolgirls chatting, giggling, having a good time. Look closer, all is not what it appears....

Another moldy oldie that needed migration

Story:

Hothouse Flower

By Tyrone Slothrop

Chapter 1: A Few Years From Now…”Current Year”

Mead always wondered why color receded as objects got farther away, unless they had a very high energy level. The orange globe of the sun was a stark contrast with the gray haze of the surrounding mountains. Human eyes are drawn to color, he thought, which is why we love to watch sunsets.

Teal always walked as if sparks flew off during the passage through life, illuminating her path for other’s enlightenment. She had always been the leader, the sports captain, the study group driver, the project planner.

Mead had been slipstreaming behind Teal for the whole fourteen years of the NatEd Enclave study, since they were both four years old. He knew he would probably do it for the last two.

At 1.8 meters, Teal towered over Mead by at least two millimeters. They had always been very closely physically matched, something their mothers never stopped commenting on during family gatherings. As a gymnastics pair, they had looked like twins in their leotards. But that had been two years ago.

An observer new to the school would assume the pair were tall eleven year olds. Eleven year old girls, with that dawn of puberty look to them.

Both had hair that fell below their waists. Both were wearing the newest styles for schoolgirls, the full ankle length skirt with ‘smart fabric’ petticoats, white tights, black flat shoes, a high neck long sleeve blouse, and white gloves.

Eleven year old girls dressing as if they were eighteen.

Except they were eighteen. And Mead was not a girl.

Lately, since the project staff had begun to prepare him for puberty, he had been wondering what he was right now. A side effect of reversing the delay was that 70% of the boys developed some breasts, mostly small, but about a third were ‘B’ cup size. Mom and Dad assured him it was normal and just part of tapering him off the medication. Mom had seemed pleased when the bras she bought him fit, since he was in that ‘special third’.

Teal had been really frustrated, since she had just begun the process herself, and had nothing to show as yet.

“I’m so glad we finished our theses before they really crank this crap up, Mead. Two whole years where we lose control! Two years! I could have done a second Doctorate by then!” Teal said. Her mood swings were becoming noticeable.

“Most kids would be just getting out of high school, barely able to read. So we get two years off and can act normal. I’m looking forward to it.” Mead said, trying to avoid setting her off.

Teal looked at Mead’s breasts and an uncontrollable tantrum began. She grabbed his hair and pulled, bringing tears to his eyes.

Mead started crying. “Mommy! She hurt me!”

Teal began crying herself and ran off home.

Chapter 2: Sixteen Years Earlier than “Current Year”

Doctor Kaspar looked at the group around the conference table. Seven women and four men. If he had wanted to visualize the phrase ‘special interests’, he would always think of these eleven esteemed behind the scenes players.

“You asked for my report. I will not soft pedal it to make you feel better.” Kaspar said, wheezing with exasperation.

“Doctor, you must be mistaken! The public schools system is a solid institution! We have held a sacred trust for years. A lot of people count on us!” The woman in gray said, a stern and reproving look on her face. She was at home staring down Senators and Presidents, but an independent scientist was alien to her world.

“This can’t be right. The system is critical to implementing social mandates and instilling correct thought.” The small man at the end whined.

“Will all of you shut up? Doctor Kaspar is giving us a chance to keep this from happening. Doctor, please continue.” The well dressed woman at the center spoke. All of the others became very quiet.

“Thank you, Madame Chairperson. Remember you asked me to study this issue.

“Several conclusions become apparent. But your comments are illuminating also. Yes, a lot of people count on the schools, they just happen to not include the parents, students and a great number of teachers. And yes, the social mandates have taken so much of the curriculum time and thinned out or rendered controversial basic material that they have succeeded in driving out learning. Diversity training has fostered lack of diverse thought.

“For years the schools have not been able to educate except in rare circumstances, but your organizations have had a good run convincing the public that it was just a matter of money.

“Meanwhile, you’ve driven teachers into ‘Education’ courses so that less than twenty percent actually have any knowledge of their subject matter. Math illiterates teaching math and so forth.

“You’ve ‘re-normalized ‘ the SAT to mask the fact that today’s students cannot read, write or properly utilize their native tongue. This country had a higher effective literacy rate in the late nineteenth century.

“You have about five years before capitalism and citizen action effectively render your honey pot moot. Businesses will send jobs overseas, primarily to Asia where they can find people with math and English skills that exceed your students at one tenth the cost. Parents will figure this out very soon.

“I see one thing you can do to lengthen your ability to keep getting funded before you collapse. “ Kaspar smiled.

“All right, Kaspar. What do we do.?” The woman in gray said.

“Simple and consistent with where you are heading. Blame the students.” Kaspar waited for the reaction and got none. He continued.

“But this time show how you can fix them. A series of demonstration projects, funded by my benefactor which require your support to get the legislation required passed. It should buy you at least ten years to get what you can.”

“And your ‘benefactor’ ? What does he get out of it Kaspar?” The gray woman asked.

Kaspar just smiled.

Chapter 3: Seven Years Earlier than “Current Year”

Diego Montoya did not want to go to Hell, and he just knew if he did what he was thinking he would be there shortly. He wanted to kiss Mary and she wanted to kiss him but her Mama and Papa would tell his parents and he just knew it was probably a sin. The church told him so.

He decided to focus on finishing his essay on Moby Dick, At eleven years old he knew he must do well. His parents had gone to the trouble of home schooling him just like the other kids from their church. And God expected him to learn.

The public schools had made his parents uneasy, with things which ran counter to their basic beliefs becoming required. Little pockets of communities across the land began to home school, usually revolving around churches, synagogues and mosques.

Diego liked the learning programs on the computers. He and Mary had learned to read from the software at age five, and were proficient at mathematics. Father Velasquez had told his parents that the church could get the programs at a discount and they were very good.

Diego remembered when the parish had banned television for children, except educational programs which were screened in advance and preselected satellite channels. And the internet was now divided into the Childrens Web and the regular Web in most countries, with access violations punishable by severe fines.

Mary looked very nice in the long dress she wore, which still showed her developing body nicely. Diego pulled at his tight collar and tie, wishing he could get into his after school clothes and play. He wished Mary could play with him like she used to, but boys and girls were separated except with a chaperone these days.

Not like the public school kids. Diego knew some of them but they seemed to be allowed to run wild, like wolves. He never went out of his neighborhood alone, and they never came into his.

He remembered when one of those kids had tried to grab one of the girls from his church on the street, calling her names. The boy’s body was never found and the police never bothered to look very hard.

Chapter 4: Ten Years Earlier than “Current Year”, Another Part of Town

Mead and Teal had just come home from school, and their mothers always got up from their desks, stopped work and sat down with them for a recap of their day. Teal dad did not live with her and Mead’s dad had to travel for his work, so the mothers had formed an extended family when they had been asked to have their children participate in the NatEd project.

“How was today, Mead?” Janet Schiller asked her son.

“We got more shots today, and then we did geology and reading and then we did the Japanese tea ceremony and I won the best at that …” Mead giggled. His black hair had never been cut and he was constantly twirling it while he spoke. Teal just giggled along with him.

Both children were wearing their school uniforms, short skirted jumpers with white tights. Teal’s hair was in braids while Mead’s was held back from his face by a plastic hairband.

Margaret Dunning, Teal’s mother, served cookies and milk and they all sat around for their little after school ritual. Eventually, the children were allowed to change into their overalls and go outside and play in the yard. One of the mothers kept them under constant surveillance and the security systems were armed. Neither child was ever allowed to leave the yard unescorted.

“I hope this is the right thing for Mead, Margaret. He acts like such a little girl it’s scary.” Janet said while she watched the kids play on the swings.

“We both decided this approach was safer for the kids in the long run, Janet. When they get older the boys are going to be total targets for normal kids. This way we can at least shield them a while. Plus, the whole program is designed to be gender equal before puberty. The other project has them wearing unitards and shaving their heads. Those kids can never go out in public. “ Margaret responded.

“And he is so cute. Have you seen the new fashions for girls? I know the fundamentalists are driving it but they are so sweet, with all the petticoats and ruffles. I hear some of the kids in the project are wearing them already. Mead has already asked for some.”

“And if Mead does it, Teal will follow. I never thought I’d see this country start going back to Victorian England fashions. It’s those religious crazies. They demand we cut the internet in two, and they keep leaving the schools so they can protect their kids from the big bad world.” Margaret said , a hint of disdain in her voice.

“Some of them are nice people who are scared of the jungle schools have become, with armed guards and still their kids get hurt. The Montoyas, the ones doing our kitchen remodel are very nice. Their children are at least well behaved.” Janet said.

“Afraid of their church. Of course, I wouldn’t send Teal to public school either. So are we agreed, we get both the kids the new dresses? If we do it together, we can avoid the pouting and temper tantrums the second one to get them will throw.”

“I’ll bet all of the kids will be dressed that way within three months. So my son and your daughter will look like proper little ladies. You know, the Victorians used to use petticoats to discipline their boys. Here I am debating whether to let him wear them at his request. I know his father is behind the project completely, so he will be very supportive.“ Janet smiled.

“At least Mead will. Teal will take some of that discipline. It might temper that aggressive streak she has.” Margaret said.

Chapter 5: Five Years Earlier than “Current Year”

The lights in the Senate hearing room were bright. Doctor Kaspar had testified before, but there was a new confrontational attitude.

“Doctor, we have given you legislative authority to prove your methods. Spent untold millions on your efforts but your results are too slow. We need action now! Our constituents are leaving the schools in droves. The teachers union is getting very anxious. Teachers are setting up their own schools and tutoring services. We are facing the breakdown of the whole concept of public education!” The Senator from the northeastern state scowled at him, her eyebrows arched and mouth set in an odd grimace.

“Madame Senator, I am on the timetable I projected. The results are very promising as I have reviewed. Delaying the onset of puberty by chemical means and reducing gender differences has created an effective learning environment. It is so much better than the current regimen of psychotropic drugs used on young boys. I expect we will have some children through Phd equivalent education by the time they are eighteen. The rest will at least be halfway through undergraduate studies. But I cannot accelerate how fast they grow up. We need five more years to complete the study and then we need to let them progress through puberty.” Kaspar droned.

“Are your results good enough to start introducing the process now? We need to give the public hope so they will stay with the schools.”

Kaspar leaned back, He had expected this. His employer was ready with the pharmaceuticals and patented services to inflict the regimen on fifty million children. As a monopoly it would be worth billions of dollars. And these politicians were desperate enough to smooth the way.

“Yes, we could get started if you agree to limit the legal liability for the process. We could be ready to begin in two years. You of course would have to have the full resources of the federal government to get the public to accept the process. “ Kaspar smiled inwardly.

Chapter 6: Five Years Earlier than “Current Year”, Schiller Household

Mead was playing with his new smart fabric petticoat. Touching a point on his waist made the fibers in his undergarment reform from a flat, shiny slip into a full set of ruffles, ballooning his skirt out to almost a meter across. He thought this was a lot of fun.

He and Teal were going to the mall today and their mothers had promised them both they could walk around on their own as long as they stayed inside and had their phones ready to signal an alert.

Mead was well aware of the fact that he was not like other boys, and he was well aware of why. Boys his age, at thirteen, were developing muscles, lowering their voice, having their testicles descend and other things. He still looked like he was a tall nine year old.

With his hair to his waist and his nails polished, he knew he could pass as a girl and not be bothered by the other kids at the mall. He had accepted that as protective coloration while he learned the project school. Besides, all the other twenty five boys in the project were the just the same. The whole town assumed the project was a girl’s school.

“Mead, are you ready?” Janet asked. She looked at her son and smiled. He was so well behaved and looked so precious in the new fashions. Even Margaret had to admit the kids looked sweet and more child like than the more explicit clothing she had worn as a girl.

Juan Montoya was working on the rebuild of the den, installing built-in bookcases. His son Diego was helping him and a girl about Meads actual age, Mary Grady was with them.

Janet looked at Diego and wondered if Mead would have looked like that. He was tall and well muscled, with dark, flashing eyes. Today he was in work clothes, helping his father, but he was extremely well mannered and seemed very intelligent.

Janet looked at Mary, already developed as a pretty young woman, wearing a full skirt and lace blouse, her red hair flowing about her shoulders. She used the old fashioned petticoats, the smart fabric still being very expensive. Janet could see Mary watching Diego like a girl watches a boy she favors.

“Mrs. Schilling, we are done here. I will send you a bill. Thank you for calling us again.” Juan Montoya said.

“My pleasure, Juan. You do very good work. I’ll be sure to tell all my friends about your work.” Janet said. She continued. “Juan, do your children go to public school? How are the conditions there?”

“Diego has been home schooled for years now. Our church helps us with books and computers and things. Mary too. They are doing very well on all the state tests. “ Juan beamed, an obvious pride in his son showing through.

After the Montoyas were gone, Teal arrived, her skirt showing a fashionable ankle and her hair tied back with a ribbon.

“I’m ready, let’s go! We’ve got shopping to do!” Teal said, the demanding tone just second nature to her. Janet and Mead were used to it.

Chapter 7: Two Years Earlier than “Current Year”

Teal was working on her research paper on sociobiology. She had already published several articles. At sixteen she was precocious, demanding and intolerant of people not as smart as she was, which included almost everybody.

She was the star of the project, having moved to post graduate studies already. She had honors and the fawning attention of the staff.

Her mother on the other hand was not impressed. She had been very worried that Teal seemed to have no feel for other people, no sense of belonging to the human race. The only two people she responded to were Margaret and Mead. If she was particularly nasty to Mead, she tried to correct it if she noticed. Her mother she knew was the only person who loved her unconditionally, and that frightened Teal beyond words.

She knew her academic achievement was the result of her natural ability and the focus the delay of puberty had allowed. Her problem was she had the academic awareness of the world of a brilliant twenty five year old, the body of an eleven year old girl and the emotional maturity of a nine year old. She also knew that and it grated on her. She hated the tantrums and the out of control behavior. She hated not being a woman. She hated the project, despite the opportunities it gave her.

Mead was happy most of the time. He was just completing his pre-med undergraduate work, thinking he might want to go to medical school when this was all over. He was liked by all his classmates and spent a lot of time helping the other students with more advanced math and science challenges.

He was quite aware of his condition, but felt safe in his disguised body. He was scared of leaving the cocoon of the project. When he saw boys his own age in town, they made him feel different, but not uncomfortable. Mom and Dad were so supportive he just assumed that all kids had that environment.

Mom had really enjoyed raising him as a daughter, which he had gotten her to admit during a heart to heart talk. Dad wanted him to know he was still his son no matter what he looked like.

Mead was entering into his perpetual debate on whether to cut his hair. It was past his waist and every time he discussed it with Mom she got all misty. Mead would love to try some more inventive hairstyles like the other girls and boys on the project, but he also felt he would not be Mead without his hair. He tabled the decision again.

Margaret and Janet were having coffee after finishing a work project.

“Have you heard they are shutting half the schools in the state? So many kids are pulled out they can’t justify keeping them open. Less than ten percent of the children are even enrolled.” Janet said.

“So the project was all a waste of time? The government can’t possibly justify the process if there are no kids to do it on. Is that why it’s held up in the Senate?” Margaret asked.

“I would assume so. So are they going to shut down our school?”

“We only have two years to go. I can’t believe they would do that.”

Diego and Mary began dating, which meant Diego could take Mary places accompanied by her Aunt, Mother, Brother or some other chaperone. All this was after he had asked her Father’s permission. Such were the customs of the people of his church. They were both about to complete high school level material.

Chapter 8: “Current Year”

Janet came running to see why Mead was squealing. He had calmed down by the time she reached him. Teal having a tantrum was becoming more and more prevalent, and Mead was the usual target of her rages.

After a few minutes, Janet answered her cell phone. Margaret was on, obviously holding her sobbing daughter and explaining that Teal was very sorry.

“Margaret, Mead is fine. He’s calm and no harm done. Why don’t you two come over in a little while and we’ll go out for ice cream?” Janet said.

While they waited, Mead looked at Janet and came to a decision.

“Momma, I’m going to cut my hair. I’m growing up now.”

Janet looked at Mead and a tear formed in her eye. “Oh, Mead, I know. You’re going to be a real man, just like your father. They say it will take a while, but I guess this day has been coming. Do you want to have Dad take you to his barber?”

“Oh. No, Momma!. I want it about here.” Mead indicated somewhere about the middle of his back. “I want to be able to do all those styles you do while I still look like this! I’ll probably never get the chance again. Besides, I can’t get rid of these” Mead indicated his breasts “ until I’m mostly done and that’ll take two years they tell me. And most important, I want to do something without Teal, just once.”

Janet laughed and hugged him. “ My little princess is going to be a prince, but not just yet. I can handle that. Besides, we are invited to Diego Montoya’s wedding next month and you can have a great new style.”

A month later, Mead was having fun with his new hair, Teal had finally started to develop breasts and the project had been shut down, with only medical follow up funded.

Mead and Teal were thrust into a slow, agonizing puberty, made somewhat worse by the fact they both knew what was coming.

Diego and Mary’s wedding was a real event. Mead and Teal had new dresses and Teal had followed Mead again in adapting his hairstyle. Mary was a beautiful bride and Mead caught the bouquet. Teal was extremely jealous of Mary, especially when she looked at Diego, now an incredibly handsome young man.

Her moods seemed to be easing and tantrums less frequent. She now knew what she wanted. She wanted Mead, but when he looked like Diego.

Chapter 9: Two Years Later than “Current Year”

PMS was something Teal wished was optional.. She was remembering how long she had gone in life without this particular nuisance and that did not help her mood.

She was addressing the State Government Committee on Education with her paper on the project and the public education system.

“So in conclusion, we find that the NatEd projects, while creating an almost perfect environment for learning and academic achievement, the process was heartily rejected by the public. It seemed the ingenuity and resourcefulness of average people who want to provide for their children was badly underestimated. Once public schools went past the tipping point where no parent would entrust their children to them, other solutions were found.

“Home schooling, coupled by an increase in deep religious faith in a large percentage of the population, especially recent immigrants, plus the ingenuity of the software industry created a series of working alternatives. In a country which lead the world in entertainment, software and communication, it was just a matter of creating a willing market and the issue would be solved.

“The drive to prolong childhood did not have to be chemical, it could also be social, as evidenced by the rejection of broadcast television and music by so many, the imposition of what were considered ancient and outmoded modes of dress and manners on pubescent children.

“In short, people did it themselves. The NatEd projects were providing a solution to the wrong problem. There was no way to fix the public schools. Today they only exist with the last few teachers on the public payroll, with no students. When the railroads stopped being the driver of the economy in the last century, the people who shoveled coal were kept on the new locomotives. So too with the last few teachers.”

“Thank you, Miss Dunning. You realize we will not be releasing your report?”
said the bureaucrat.

“I understand. I expected no less. Good day.” Teal dismissed the group and left.

She had been away from home for over a year. She figured Mead would be about hunky enough to return to by now.

Chapter 10: Later than “Current Year”

She rushed out of her cab and ran up the steps to see Momma. Margaret was waiting.

After a lot of hugging and general babble about her first real trip away from home, Teal asked about Mead.

Margaret looked worried.

“What’s wrong Mother? Is Mead ok? Does he look good? “ Teal peppered her with queries.

“Mead is fine. He looks great. He’s been waiting to see you, Teal, but there is something he needs to tell you.”

“He hasn’t run off with another girl, has he Mother?” Teal was frantic.

“No, Teal, he has been waiting for you. I called him when I saw you coming up the walk. He should be here soon.”

Teal could barely contain herself. She rushed into the bathroom and began to prepare. She had visions of Mead taking her in his arms.

Teal opened the door and was stunned when she saw him.

“Don’t I get a hug, Teal? I’ve been waiting for you.” Mead said.

“What’s happened? Didn’t they get your mix right? How long will it take you?” Teal was stammering.

Mead stood there in her dress, now showing some calf with the new styles, her hair in curls falling down to her generous breasts, her face done tastefully.

“I’m fine. More than half of the boys in the project decided to not go through puberty as a male. I just didn’t think I could do it. I’m about halfway to being a woman, Teal.

“We were like hothouse flowers. I didn’t think I could survive without my protective covering, so I’m staying the way I am. “ Mead said. She knew Teal would be hurt, but she had to tell her.

Teal felt her plans and dreams crashing. She slapped Mead across the face and then began sobbing, collapsing on the floor.

Mead held her, comforting her best friend. She could do no more right now. Flowers need care, time and patience.

End

Authors Note: Extrapolating trends does not means you agree with them. There are always social forces underway and a society’s morals swing from libertine to repressive and all points in between on a fairly regular basis. And some things which sound awful to personal freedom also help in other ways. Slothrop

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
52 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Relationships Have An Inherent Flexibility

... that can allow both Teal and Mead to still be together. I would think over time Teal would see that she would love Mead just as much as before if she could see past her greed and allow Mead to be who he wanted to be. If she truly loved him, she would accept him no matter what. If she is afraid of the social stigma of a lesbian relationship, then that can be worked on as well. Love will find a way if its there and strong. Very good story Slothrop. Most excellent even if it is old.

Love

Sephrena

Good story

I hope Teal gets ovwer her shock and anger that Mead is becoming a woman.
I hope they remain best friends and she accepts the change,as she
knew he was in the program and that was going to happen eventually.
maybe he will even have the operation to become the woman he is supposed to be.
Again good story I loved it ,keep up the god work -Bruce aka Lucinda

Bruce002